Google Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Analytics is #1 ranked solution in top Web Analytics tools. IT Central Station users give Google Analytics an average rating of 10 out of 10. Google Analytics is most commonly compared to Matomo:Google Analytics vs Matomo. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Google Analytics?
Enterprise-class web analytics. Google Analytics not only lets you measure sales and conversions, but also gives you fresh insights into how visitors use your site, how they arrived on your site, and how you can keep them coming back. Delivered on Google's world-class platform.
Google Analytics Customers
Air Show Buzz, AlfaStrakhovanie, Amari, Global Tech LED, Klarna, La Tienda, Nissan Motor Company, Rasmussen College, Shoes of Prey, Twiddy
Google Analytics Video

Google Analytics Reviews

reviewer1276785
Head Of Product Management at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Leaderboard
Provides valuable insight into user behavior and integrates well with G Suite

• "The User Explorer is a definite favorite because it allows us to pinpoint a user and check their entire journey through our website including all the events triggered and the pages visited."
  • "The sampling of data is definitely a pain point since we don't have an actual understanding of the data."

What is our primary use case?

We use Google Analytics to check the daily activity of users on the platform. We generate reports on specific pages on their conversion rate. We view the demographic data as well as the real-time data on the site users. Also, we use it to attribute our landing page marketing by referring to the source URLs and campaign ID parameters.

Google Analytics has also helped with understanding the traffic distribution based on device and OS versions. Even though the data is sampled, it gives good info on the demographic details of the users.

How has it helped my organization?

Google Analytics definitely provided a lot of data that is now available to everyone. The easy to use interface and the ability to add custom segments allows everyone to carry out their own analysis and come up with insights.

Since we use Google's G Suite, it ties very well with Google Sheets through the Google Analytics plugin. It also works well with Data Studio to generate real-time reports. Our only pain point is considering that most data is sampled, it doesn't provide an actual image of the site usage. However, since it is a free tool, it is forgivable.

What is most valuable?

The custom segments also are a great feature that allows us to provide specific conditions to define a user segment and then re-use that segment in any of our analyses. Drilling down from an event category to event action is a great way to understand specific user behavior and generalize event analytics across categories.

What needs improvement?

The sampling of data is definitely a pain point since we don't have an actual understanding of the data. Since the tool is free, I believe Google is optimizing costs by sampling data and providing us with a fairly accurate view of our site analytics.

The mobile aspect of Google Analytics is quite complex to integrate using their SDKs. The web is much easier to integrate with a simple script to add in the header.

I would love to see an auto event capture mechanism, like Mixpanel or Heap, so that the setting up of the analytics becomes easier.

We have been using Google Analytics for three years.

jonathanbentz
Sr. Digital Marketing Strategist at Direct Online Marketing
Insights into user behavior and experience help to maximize value

• "As an SEO and digital marketing professional, the two features I have found the most valuable about Google Analytics are the Acquisition tracking and the Goal tracking."
  • "An area where I would like to see improvement in Google Analytics is the auto-syncing of functions in Google Tag Manager into Goal tracking."

What is our primary use case?

Since 2008, nearly every website I have worked on as an SEO and digital marketing professional has had Google Analytics deployed. Either I have installed it personally, or there is a working installation of it already placed on the website. If your site does not have this deployed, you are missing out on some seriously valuable data at no cost.

How has it helped my organization?

Google Analytics gives us vital information about how users of a website encounter the site, what they do on the site, and where they start/stop/complete the desired actions that we want them to take. This tool allows us to improve the results of client campaigns at scale.

What is most valuable?

As an SEO and digital marketing professional, the two features I have found the most valuable about Google Analytics are the Acquisition tracking and the Goal tracking. These two areas allow me to figure out where traffic to websites is coming from and which channels of traffic bring the most value to the goals on the site.

What needs improvement?

I don't think this will ever actually happen, but it would be great if keyword data came back! An SEO can always dream, right?

An area where I would like to see improvement in Google Analytics is the auto-syncing of functions in Google Tag Manager into Goal tracking. That way, you wouldn't have to manually configure everything to work in the platform.

I have been using Google Analytics for over ten years.