Google Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Analytics is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Web Analytics tools. It is most often compared to Matomo: Google Analytics vs Matomo

What is Google Analytics?
Enterprise-class web analytics. Google Analytics not only lets you measure sales and conversions, but also gives you fresh insights into how visitors use your site, how they arrived on your site, and how you can keep them coming back. Delivered on Google's world-class platform.
Google Analytics Customers
Air Show Buzz, AlfaStrakhovanie, Amari, Global Tech LED, Klarna, La Tienda, Nissan Motor Company, Rasmussen College, Shoes of Prey, Twiddy
Google Analytics Video

Archived Google Analytics Reviews (more than two years old)

Web analysis consultant at Arco2011, C.A
Leaderboard
Provides information to help identify, understand, and make use of our visitor traffic

• "With Google Analytics, we obtain different metrics from all of the clients that enter our web environment."
  • "Beginner users access the live help section a lot, because of how confusing it is, so it would not be bad if the function was located within the administration section."

What is our primary use case?

Through Google Analytics we can see the activity that each visitor exercises within our website and makes up the fundamental basis for the projects we execute in order to constantly improve our website. With Google Analytics, in addition to knowing how many visitors came to our website, we can also obtain information as to whether the traffic is organic, reference, or direct.

How has it helped my organization?

With Google Analytics, we obtain different metrics from all the clients that enter our web environment. The collection of these metrics helps to identify which sections of the site need more growth, and which sections can be trimmed. It also helps create code optimizations that are based on the browser-base of the users who visit your site.

What is most valuable?

We can discover within Google Analytics a lot of information regarding user traffic on our website, which we use to make constant updates and improvements in our company.

I am pleased to know the location of the visitor and thus be able to put together a set of ideas based on their geography.

We can also determine how the users accessed the page and what routes they took within it, which is very useful data for us.

What needs improvement?

Beginner users access the live help section a lot, because of how confusing it is, so it would not be bad if the function was located within the administration section. In addition, the “Not Provided” section tends to hide the entire data set, and it would not be bad if some of that information were available since it could be very useful.

We have been using this solution for five years.

Google Analytics has been my only option and I don't regret it.

The installation cost is really low and does not require a team with a super performance to run. It is really accessible for any organization.

I was evaluating Adobe Analytics and Clicktale but I preferred this software.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, Google Analytics fulfills the role it plays in a good way. It is a lightweight platform that is easy to use and has a good team behind it. It can provide the solutions that the team requires, and honestly, it is the perfect platform for e-commerce. IT departments should do well when developing with this product.

Mohammed Anzil
Founder and Chief Editor at Social Positives
Leaderboard
It is packed with many of the same reports you'll find in high-Priced solutions, especially concerning data relating to real-Time visitor tracking

What is our primary use case?

I use Google Analytics to track my website visitors, especially their locations. It helps me learn user interest and behaviour, simply by tracking what is happening on my website.

How has it helped my organization?

Google Analytics is the world's most popular freemium web analytics service, used worldwide by thousands of companies including ours.

What is most valuable?

Even though it's free, Google Analytics is packed with many of the same reports you'll find in high-priced solutions, especially concerning data relating to real-time visitor tracking.

What needs improvement?

I would be happy if they improved their Android app.

More than five years.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would be happy if they improved their Android app.

More than five years.
Miguel Brito
Dj, Emprendedor y Community Manager en Eventos CAR-YAN at Consejo Federal de Gobierno
Provides solid data to analyze the impact of implemented policies

• "Our organization has improved because we have solid data that we can use to analyze the impact of our public policies."
  • "Sometimes, the statistics are not updated in real-time and it takes a little time. There are pages where it updates faster than others."
  • "If you do not use JavaScript, you will be invisible to Google Analytics. If you have the option of JavaScript disabled in your browsers, you will be invisible to the data, since the tool will not be able to register you."

What is our primary use case?

This tool helps you know the number of people who have visited your website. If you are a freelancer and you have a page or blog, you need to know how many people have visited your page on a daily basis and Google Analytics will help you.

In our case, we use it to know the number of people who have visited our page for food projects and it has provided us good results.

Also, as a DJ, I have a place where I put musical pieces, and I can see how many people enter the page and listen to these pieces. It is great.

How has it helped my organization?

Also, as a freelancer, it helps me to know if what I do as a DJ is liked or not by the people.

What is most valuable?

Universal Analytics is the most reliable version, because it fixes errors of older versions and has more complete information about users.

What needs improvement?

If you do not use JavaScript, you will be invisible to Google Analytics. If you have the option of JavaScript disabled in your browsers, you will be invisible to the data, since the tool will not be able to register you.

SEO Consultant: Small Businesses & Corporations at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
As an SEO consultant, the most valuable features for me are the channel reporting, the AdWords module and the ability to download customized reports.

Valuable Features:

As an SEO consultant, the most valuable features for me are the channel reporting, the AdWords module and the ability to download customized reports for each client's specific needs.

Improvements to My Organization:

Google Analytics provides much insight into a business. Beyond just seeing ROI, Conversion Rates & Click Through Ratios.

Room for Improvement:

Obviously, it would be better for SEO to really see which keywords were used to enter a site as opposed to (not provided) or (not set), but with customized landing page reports, you can still get some great insight into how customers are finding your site. Additionally, Google Analytics can be hard to pick up when you're just starting to use it. I have, luckily, had some great mentors and I've taken a class or two to master the application.

Use of Solution:

8 years

Deployment Issues:

No. All you have to do is add a code to your website, then it sets itself up. In terms of marketing, it's good to set up goals to measure everything from email signups and registrations to product sales.

Other Advice:

Take as many classes as you can, and ask as many questions as you need. Once you get the hang of GA, you can really use it to your advantage.

Krishna SEO Expert Chennai
SEM(SEO-Organic & PPC Advertising(Adwords)),WEBSITE ANALYST,E-mail Marketing. at QR Solutions
Leaderboard
It will clearly give a deep insight about the user location. They should remove spam data.

Valuable Features:

• Source and medium
  • Goal conversion
  • User location
  • User flow on site report
  • Average time on page
  • Bounce rate
  • Google Adwords & Webmaster tool integration

Improvements to My Organization:

We found that the source and medium report is very useful when we are analyzing paid and organic campaign performance. It will clearly give a deep insight about the user location, bounce rate, goal conversion rate.

Room for Improvement:

Some spam data messing up the analytics report. Google should remove spam data. When targeting multiple locations in a paid campaign, location wise data analyzing will be very useful. Google Analytics and Adwords sessions are messing up. Need to improve this thing to see the accurate data.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Senior Search Advertising Executive at a media company with 51-200 employees
We're able to make our website better with its data and analytics about traffic, but the data accuracy needs improvement.

Valuable Features:

Data collection methodology Reporting Interface Integration with other Google products

Improvements to My Organization:

Provides us with useful data and analytics about website traffic, giving us information about how to make our web pages better.

Room for Improvement:

While it provides a lot of data, the data is not always accurate. So data accuracy could definitely be improved.

Valuable Features:

• Data collection methodology
  • Reporting Interface
  • Integration with other Google products

Marketing Analyst at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
It helps us with tracking website visitors and web-age analysis, but there is a time lag of 4 hours for the tracking to get updated in the system.

Valuable Features:

Integration with other tools from Google like, Google Adwords, Tagmanager, etc. A lot of templates for dashboards and other custom reports are available in different forums.This will help in better reporting and as well as better analysis.

Improvements to My Organization:

Tracking of the website visitors and web page analysis became an easy task.

Room for Improvement:

There is a time lag of 4 hours for the tracking to get updated in the system. Also, some sessions will not be tracked at all.

Valuable Features:

1. Integration with other tools from Google like, Google Adwords, Tagmanager, etc.
  2. A lot of templates for dashboards and other custom reports are available in different forums.This will help in better reporting and as well as better analysis.

Improvements to My Organization:

Tracking of the website visitors and web page analysis became an easy task.

Room for Improvement:

There is a time lag of 4 hours for the tracking to get updated in the system.

Also, some sessions will not be tracked at all.

Menachem D Pritzker
Director of Growth at IT Central Station
User
I use it to track the progress throughout every campaign.

Valuable Features:

Google Analytics is, of course, the starting point for any web analytics plan. I don't make any content driven decisions without first consulting GA. I use it extensively throughout every campaign to track progress.

Use of Solution:

5 years

Valuable Features:

Google Analytics is, of course, the starting point for any web analytics plan.

I don't make any content driven decisions without first consulting GA.

I use it extensively throughout every campaign to track progress.

Use of Solution:

5 years

Director of Marketing and Content at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
It provides us with custom reports and analytics that allow us to identify and measure our conversion efforts, but we had to create a custom script for archiving reports.

Valuable Features:

Goals and Events Tracking

URL tracking

Custom Reports

Improvements to My Organization:

Every online business needs to know where traffic is coming from and what it does when it gets to you. Analytics allowed us to identify user segments, top performing content and measure the effectiveness of our conversion efforts with ease. Regular reporting allows us to better understand how we are succeeding and why.

Room for Improvement:

One area that Analytics falls short is in creating a report archive. While you can always run a report for anything you want, and even create an autorun trigger, having an accessible archive of performance is lacking.

To remedy this we had to look to use a custom script on Google Sheets that pulls our Analytics data into a daily report. By doing this we have an archive of data that updates regularly - it's not perfect but it works.

Digital Media Data Analyst at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
I use it daily for client-website tracking, but Google stripped out search rankings with “not provided.”

What is most valuable?

It's got incredible depth, yet it’s free. One of the most important free products on the web.

How has it helped my organization?

I use it daily for client-website tracking.

What needs improvement?

Google stripped out search rankings with “not provided.” It upsets many who want to understand how well they are doing in searches. They need to be more seamless, especially for smaller websites, about searches conducted to reach websites.

I've used it for 10 years, since it's launch in 2005.

Just seven years ago, medium sized websites had to pay thousands a year for analytics on this level. Now it’s free.

It's very easy today, but like all tracking, it used to be complex.

It's free.

What other advice do I have?

Unless you get over 100,000 visitors a month, Google Analytics can meet the needs of 90% of websites.

Customer Communication Specialist at a media company with 51-200 employees
Dashboards allow us to get a big picture look at pageviews, countries visiting my site, and UTM tracking. It would be nice, though, if it could provide all the statistics in the free version.

What is most valuable?

I like to create dashboards to get a big picture look at pageviews, countries visiting my site, and UTM tracking (where we use links and place code to track if these links are clicked).

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to introduce new features based on statistics. For example, if we see that people from Mexico are using a certain feature more than others, we can "geotarget" users in Mexico and push the feature and supporting features.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if Google Analytics provided all statistics, rather than a segment of the statistics. The paid version has this, but the free version is limited to a segment of users.

I've been using it for 10 years.

I previously used WebTrends, but Google Analytics was more appealing because it was easy to setup, and it was available online for free.

The initial setup is easy - you just have to copy and paste a few lines of code to get it up and running.

Web Administrator at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Data capture of the acquisition of users needs to be improved, but we have been able to increase our revenue due to the solution.

Valuable Features

1. Evaluating the efficiency of new media planning and digital marketing strategies.
  2. Acquiring important information about user behavior and demographics.
  3. Determining areas of improvement for the website and then fine tuning it.

Improvements to My Organization

Studying user on-site behavior, we have adjusted our website content and thus increased visits, stay-on-site time, as well as page views.

Room for Improvement

Data capture of the acquisition of users, as on a few occasions, it was unclear where we got traffic from.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five years.

No issues encountered.

I've never needed to contact customer service.

I've never needed to contact tech support.

It's very straightforward and comes with excellent documentation.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house.

ROI

We have increased our visits, views, and average stay on site time, which has led to an increase in revenues, and better targeting of our digital marketing campaigns.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

There's no cost to Google analytics.

Other Advice

Make sure you know how you want Analytics to help you. Understand what you need it for and take time to study the Dashboard.

Director of Product Marketing at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
Great integration with AdWords. We've evaluated additional products to supplement our analytics for deeper dives.

What is most valuable?

Conversion reports, and the integration with AdWords.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to understand where our traffic is coming from, where traffic is dropping off and how our AdWords campaigns are performing

3 years

8 out of 10.

8 out of 10.

No, we've used this since we launched. But we also use it in conjunction with other analytics products such as MixPanel.

Straightforward. It only requires the insertion of simple snippets of code into our product.

In-house implementation was done.

The product is free

It's free.

No, this is a fundamental product that every site should use. We have evaluated additional products to supplement our analytics for deeper dives on user specific behavior (KissMetrics, MixPanel).

it_user1014
CTO at a media company with 51-200 employees
Best value for analytic insight provided

Valuable Features:

* A solid choice for users who need simple, straightforward analytics, accessed through an easy to use interface. * Tight integration into AdWords and campaign tracking. * Product has evolved nicely over the past few years. * Simple implementation and maintenance.

Room for Improvement:

* Not the right product if you need detailed click stream analysis or integration with your firm's customer segmentation.

Other Advice:

If you have a sophisticated data-mining operation, and are looking for that level of insight, GA is probably not right for your organization. But for the vast majority of analytics teams, there is more than enough meaningful insight in GA at a very reasonable price.