Google Cloud Storage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Cloud Storage is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Public Cloud Storage Services. It is most often compared to Amazon S3 Glacier: Google Cloud Storage vs Amazon S3 Glacier

What is Google Cloud Storage?

Google Cloud Storage offers developers and IT organizations durable and highly available object storage. Google created three simple product options to help you address the needs of your applications while keeping your costs low. These three product options use the same API, providing you with a simple and consistent method of access.

Download the Cloud Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Google Cloud Storage Customers

Autism Speaks, Backflip Studios, Beneficio Facil, Bitmovin, Claritics, CloudBerry, Cosentry, DNANexus, DNAstack, Energyworx, Feedly, GenieConnect, HTC, JustDevelopIt, LeadPages, Leanplum, LiveHive, Mendelics, Ocado, RealMassive, Screenz, ShareThis, Songpop, Ubisoft, VendAsta, Webydo, Wix, zulily

Google Cloud Storage Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Cloud Storage pricing:
  • "It's about nearly $10,000 USD to use the services on GCP, however, Google gave us a good deal which is why we originally went with them."
  • "Its price is fine."
  • "Better pricing would be helpful."

Google Cloud Storage Reviews

Nhan Tran
Data & AI expert at One Mount Group
Easy to use and scalable with excellent technical support

• "It's user-friendly. We find it to be very easy to use."
  • "The problem I face right now is that my data warehouse is being hosted on Google Cloud, however, integration between Google Cloud to Microsoft Azure is a big problem."

What is our primary use case?

I'm helping the company build a data warehouse and expand it to utilize the current platform and build new machine-learning operations. All of the stack is currently stuck with the Google stack. I use BigQuery and their Data Studio to use as a data warehouse. I'm looking for another platform to build a machine-learning operation on. ProtectAI is good, however, it's quite new.

What is most valuable?

It's user-friendly. We find it to be very easy to use.

They also have the SDK for the development team to integrate with their application, their system, which has been useful.

The product is quite stable.

Google is targeting customers right now in the Vietnam market, and therefore, they have lots of promotions. They also have a lot of teams in Vietnam, so they give a lot of support and troubleshooting.

The product can scale.

The security is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

Comparing to Azure Machine Learning, Microsoft Azure is much better and they have more experience than Google. The problem I face right now is that my data warehouse is being hosted on Google Cloud, however, integration between Google Cloud to Microsoft Azure is a big problem.

I would love to use Amazon S3 as it's more user-friendly and the SDK is better. It's easy to let the developer implement it, whereas Google Cloud Storage is hard for the developer to use. The SDK is quite complicated.

The security could always be better.

I have used the solution since I joined my current company. That was one and a half years ago. I have a little less than two years of experience.

The stability of the solution is great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can. Compared to other options, it's quite good.

The service and system technology team serves around 2,000 people.

Technical support has been great so far. Google has a lot of teams in the country that have been really helpful and responsive. They give us a lot of attention when we need to troubleshoot.

I've worked with Amazon and Azure in the past as well.

Since Google has recently targeted Vietnam, they've been offering many customers in the country lots of great promotions and incentives.

We do pay a monthly fee to Google. We use a lot of their services.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud solution, we're always on the latest and most up-to-date version of the product. Google keeps it updated for us and we do not have to update anything manually.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been pretty satisfied with the solution overall.

While AWS S3 is the best, and Microsoft is pretty good, I'd still recommend Google.

MF
PMO at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Scalable and stable with a free version available for personal use

• "There is a free-to-use version. This is the version I use."
  • "While the solution seems to be secure, I worry that, with the cloud, there is a chance of hacking. It would be ideal if they could be more transparent about the processes they go through to keep our data secure in the cloud and on their systems."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for storing documents.

What is most valuable?

It's my understanding that the solution is secure.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is very good.

There is a free-to-use version. This is the version I use.

What needs improvement?

While the solution seems to be secure, I worry that, with the cloud, there is a chance of hacking. It would be ideal if they could be more transparent about the processes they go through to keep our data secure in the cloud and on their systems.

I'd also like it to be more clear in terms of who is accessing the files and when. I'd like to know if and when someone downloads something or if a file has been manipulated, and who has accessed or changed it, in order to protect our company's most sensitive information.

In my domain, you receive a lot of mail and a lot of publicity marketing and you need to trash them. I don't. One month ago, they told me that I have the maximum allowed storage and I would have to make space in my database. I don't have time to do that. Now, I check my email every day and I trash all things not necessary, and I'm not putting photos in it. I don't know why my database is already full. If you don't keep on top of deleting items and wait until it's almost full, it's so hard to go back and delete so much content.

I first started using the solution a few years ago. It's been a while. I would estimate it's been about six years or so at this point.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good.

The product can scale up if you need it to.

I've never had to reach out to Google's technical support. I haven't had any issues with it. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be if you contacted them.

There's no installation process as the solution is cloud-based. You don't need to upload or install anything.

The version I use is open-source. It doesn't cost anything to use.

What other advice do I have?

I simply use this solution for my own personal purposes.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend this solution to other users.

Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Huawei, Zoolz and others in Cloud Storage. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DD
Manager at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Provides great security and a good interface that works well with other applications

• "From an availability perspective it's fantastic; from a security perspective it's fantastic."
  • "Could be improved from a storage perspective and a cost perspective."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a manager in an Indian-based company and we are customers of Google.

What is most valuable?

In the two years I've been using this solution, I haven't had a single minute of downtime. That is what's fantastic about the cloud. I know the product is very secure since there was an attempt at a cyber attack some months ago, and the attackers could not penetrate into the Google Cloud. They might be able to attack some on-prem applications but not these applications. From an availability perspective it's fantastic; from a security perspective it's fantastic. I like the interface, it works well with other applications.

What needs improvement?

I think improvements can be made from a storage perspective and a cost perspective. We're currently working on the application modernization and I think that the integration section of Google and the cloud could be simplified. Integration across various applications isn't always successful.

We've been using this solution for over two years.

The scalability is fantastic. We've been able to scale up and down as necessary. We have close to 450 users. I think we will probably extend it. Since the attempted attack, management is now of the opinion that it's best to migrate all the on-prem applications to cloud.

I am satisfied with the technical support. We are in contact with Google's account manager in India and that works well.

The initial setup was complex and the team struggled for a couple of weeks. That was two years ago and things have changed a lot since then. Initially we took on service from the supplier but now we have expert consultants who can manage anything on cloud.

We evaluated everything; AWS, Azure and Google. For various reasons, we settled on Google.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

MM
Consultant IBM Maximo at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, flexible, and stable

• "The solution is flexible and very user-friendly."
  • "The solution should improve its security and accountability."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for personal storage of documents, etc.

What is most valuable?

Everything about the solution is excellent. It's very fluid.

The solution is flexible and very user-friendly.

The drag and drop functionality is very good.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if there are any improvements necessary. For my purposes, it works very well.

The solution should improve its security and accountability.

I have been using the solution since about 2010 or 2011. It's been almost a decade.

The solution is highly stable. I've never faced any issues accessing it. It's never crashed and I've never seen bugs or glitches.

The solution allows for one terabyte of data. In terms of personal use, that is quite enough for me. I don't need more than that. I don't think I will need to scale in the future.

I didn't previously use another cloud storage solution. Google Cloud Storage was my first platform.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's already set up when you sign up for your email account. There's absolutely nothing a person needs to do. You just drag and drop in files and that's it.

I handled everything myself. I did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

The solution is free to use and comes with one terabyte of free memory. If you need more than that, you may have to pay.

What other advice do I have?

Due to its general user-friendliness, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten overall.

Private Cloud
Abdulla Pathan
Technology Competency and Solution Head at LearningMate
Good price, stable, scalable, and allows us to work offline

• "It is stable and scalable."
  • "Its security should be better from the data security point of view. It should be more secure, and it should get tightly integrated with products such as Google Docs and Google Sheets. Microsoft covers different kinds of tools such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Google Cloud Storage mainly for our document management. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

Its security should be better from the data security point of view. It should be more secure, and it should get tightly integrated with products such as Google Docs and Google Sheets. Microsoft covers different kinds of tools such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.

It is scalable. You can scale based on your users. We have more than a thousand users, and it allows me to share across my team.

We don't need any support.

We tried using other tools from AWS and Microsoft. We have a very limited number of users on Microsoft Azure. Office 365 is only for the senior leadership.

Being a cloud solution, it doesn't require installation. I can also use it offline. To use it offline, I need to install an app on my machine that allows me to work offline and gets synced without my server.

It is completely cloud-managed. We don't need a separate team to maintain it. We only have our regular IT team that creates the users, and they automatically get signed up to Google Storage.

Its price is fine.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Google Cloud Storage a nine out of ten.

YB
Director
Easy to use and makes our information accessible to everybody in the company

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease and accessibility of information.

What needs improvement?

It would be good to have more storage space. The user interface could be more intuitive.

I have been using Google Cloud Storage for a few months.

Google Cloud Storage is stable, although, on two occasions, all of the privileges were lost on one or more of our folders. We did not lose any data but it required that we reconfigure. Nobody here had made any changes, and just instantly we saw that we did not have access to one or more of the folders.

I'm not sure about the scalability because if we want more…

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease and accessibility of information.

What needs improvement?

It would be good to have more storage space.

The user interface could be more intuitive.

I have been using Google Cloud Storage for a few months.

I'm not sure about the scalability because if we want more storage then we have to pay for that. We may have to subscribe to another package, but I believe that it's quite easily scalable.

There are six people in my office who use this solution.

We have never had to make a request for support.

Better pricing would be helpful.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and I would recommend it to others. However, better pricing or more storage would be an improvement.

AY
Server Administrator Coordinator at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, feature-rich, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We are using Google Cloud in our school for our email system, and our file sharing system as well. We use all of the Google products in our schools, such as Google mail, Google Drive, Google Meet, and Google Hangouts.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Google Meet is missing the features needed to control the machines. Google Meet allows you to share the screen but not to control the device itself. It would be better to be able to control it. They need more enhancements in the security features.

I have been using Google Cloud Storage for more than ten years.

Google Cloud Storage is a stable product.

What do I think

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Google Meet is missing the features needed to control the machines.

They need more enhancements in the security features.

I have been using Google Cloud Storage for more than ten years.

Google Cloud Storage is a stable product.

The entire school is using this product and we plan to continue using it.

I have not contacted technical support. My colleague handles this area.

Previously, we were using a local file server with the Exchange email system.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend this product to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Google Cloud Storage a ten out of ten.

IS
CEO at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy and convenient to use

What is our primary use case?

I use this product for information and data storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and ease of use.

What needs improvement?

Having more storage space would be an improvement.

I have been using Google Cloud Storage for two years.

This is a stable product.

It appears to be scalable, and I haven't had any problem in that respect. We have between 40 and 50 users in the company. We don't have plans to increase usage at this time, although we may do so if we need to store more information.

I have not had experience…

What is our primary use case?

I use this product for information and data storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and ease of use.

What needs improvement?

Having more storage space would be an improvement.

I have been using Google Cloud Storage for two years.

This is a stable product.

I have not had experience with technical support for this product.

We did not use another cloud-based storage product prior to this one.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, it is convenient to use, and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.