Google Firebase Overview

Google Firebase is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure: Google Firebase vs Microsoft Azure

What is Google Firebase?
Google Firebase Buyer's Guide

Download the Google Firebase Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Google Firebase Customers
Fabulous, Pic Collage, Shazam, SkyScanner
Google Firebase Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Firebase pricing:
  • "The pricing component is a bit confusing when it comes to what exactly you'll pay for, but I wouldn't say it's expensive."
  • "The monthly cost is based on writing data and queries to the database."
  • "It is not easy to calculate the cost per copy, use or if the load rose dramatically we did not know how that would impact the final price."

Google Firebase Reviews

Nilakshi Sharma
Technical Team Lead at AuthentiCode
Nov 12, 2020
Drastically reduces processing time, good record keeping, and regularly updated

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the platform to manage our apps. For example, in one instance, we get data from the Australian government regarding the cost of fuel via an API. Then we store the data in Firestore and then we use it in our app, according to the state and according to the cities to show the price of fuel within them.

• "If there's data added to the solution, there's a good record of it so it's easy to track everything."
  • "The solution needs to offer capabilities to work offline. Like Firestore, we should be able to do insertion, updating, and deletion offline."

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise users actually go to Firestore instead of Firebase, as there are just a lot more features that you have access to. Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. If it offered the same features as Firestore, I'd rate it higher.
Craig Fraser
Application Development Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Dec 30, 2020
One of the easier options to host a website or app quickly.

What is our primary use case?

We use Google Firebase for the database in the backend. We also use some of the Firebase functions for the website to interact with. We host two apps on it. One is an Ionic app that connects to the Google Play Store and the Apple Play store. The other one also has a Firebase backend, Firebase functions, and some schedule functions to make some payments.

• "What I like most about Google Firebase is that it's one of the easier options to host a website or app quickly."
  • "I would like to see faster data migration and some support for other languages in the next release."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Google Firebase for startups and people specifically focusing on apps. Based on our use case, I would give Google Firebase an eight.
Learn what your peers think about Google Firebase. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Handerson Contreras
Fullstack software developer with Python and angular at Laureate International Universities
Dec 31, 2019
Real-time change triggers and push notifications enhance our product functionality and offering

What is our primary use case?

I started using it for web development, taking advantage of the SDK to speed up the development process. Since you do not need to create an API, you can connect to Firebase from JavaScript.

• "The Realtime Database feature is the most important for us since we are able to see changes in the database the moment they are happening."
  • "I would like to have a facility for testing possible scenarios by writing dummy data and then doing different queries."

What other advice do I have?

Queries to the database were very simple. However, modeling is a challenge and I recommend running proof of concepts when you want to store something new in the database. Overall, I have to say that this database is great.
AnthonyAbah
Programmer at WML
Dec 3, 2019
Easy to set up with a user-friendly interface and good documentation

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution for developing SaaS expert system software. I wanted to host it with Google so users can subscribe and then develop online from anywhere. That way my software can run on their server.

• "The user interface is very good and easy to navigate."
  • "The cold start-up of the cloud function needs to speed up. For me personally, I'm not experienced in anything there, however, I've just read online it's a problem."

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest online version of the solution, which is public cloud-based. I can develop the solution offline if I like. I go offline to develop the solution and then I'll go online again to test because testing online wastes my time. I do the test of my software offline, but when I want to use the cloud to test I'll jump online. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.
Marko Adzic
Director Private Sector Software Solutions at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 7, 2019
Great interface, easy to use, but needs consistent pricing and cost estimation is difficult

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is the backend for the mobile app.

• "The main feature for us is that the tools are all in one place and that you don't need to bother with the backend system and the infrastructure."
  • "There was no way of knowing how the rise in traffic would impact the price."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product for prototyping, with a nice interface and is easy to work with, but difficult to predict the cost. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Shawky Foda
Senior Technical Consultant at Masterworks
Aug 22, 2019
Offers flexibility of handling and dealing with the database through EDL

What is our primary use case?

We use Firebase as a proof of concept to introduce Apogee functionality in the future. We need to simulate some scenarios using Apogee as a lesson for API management and Firebase is the backend database we use to simulate custom scenarios regarding the customer needs. We use the public cloud version.

• "I found the flexibility of handling and dealing with database through EDL to be very useful."
  • "Their technical support needs to be enhanced with more support for customers."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Firebase as eight out of ten.
Jay Panchal
R&D Team Lead at Becon
Sep 23, 2019
Has fast updates, good performance and realtime chat

What is our primary use case?

We use Firebase on-premise. Our primary use cases are for push notifications and for realtime chat.

• "The most valuable feature I like is about the realtime. Updates are also very fast."
  • "We use Firebase for media processing and we are growing more. As we grow, the pricing goes high and it's high compared to competitors. The solution is expensive."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven and a half out of ten. Not a ten because I haven't explored every facet to it. I am very happy with what I have seen so far.