Google Hangouts OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Hangouts is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Virtual Meetings tools. It is most often compared to Blackboard Collaborate: Google Hangouts vs Blackboard Collaborate

What is Google Hangouts?

Hangouts Chat makes it easy for teams to be able to get their work done in one place. From direct messages to group conversations, Chat helps teams collaborate easily and efficiently.

Google Hangouts Buyer's Guide

Download the Google Hangouts Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Google Hangouts Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Hangouts pricing:
  • "This solution is available for free with the opening of a Google account."
  • "We are using the free version of Google Hangouts."

BT
IT Manager at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Screen sharing feature ties in with Google Docs and Google Sheets so that we can work on a single document as a whole group of us at once

What is our primary use case?

We're a very distributed environment. We are a group of trucking companies and we're spread out across Western Canada. We've got about 20 offices with about 250 people right across 20 offices and communicating with each other is very important and so we use Google Hangouts. It provides inter-company communication, primarily for meetings and things like that. It has reduced cell phone bills and all those sorts of things.

• "The screen sharing is the most valuable feature. It ties in with Google docs and Google sheets so that we can work on a single document as a whole group of us at once. That's the biggest feature we rely on."
  • "The way it works with anonymous users should be improved. That could be strengthened to let anonymous users do more."

What other advice do I have?

The one piece of advice I would is to be prepared regarding who else is going to use Hangouts outside of your organization. If you want people to be able to use a phone number, you have to pay for a whole different license with Google, your whole Google license has to be upgraded. Granted it has lots of other features. The dial-in feature to Hangouts is only accessible in the business class of G suite. If it's only your company that is going to use it, then you're great at the regular license level. But if you think you're going to have people who are required to dial in, then you need to be…
KD
Testing Center of Excellence - Head at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use and integrates well with Google suite

What is our primary use case?

I use Google Hangouts for both chat and online meetings.

• "It is very easy to use and is available as soon as you open a Google account."
  • "I would like to see support for showing virtual backgrounds."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking to start using Google Hangouts is that it is plug-and-play, and comes free with Google Suite. The minute you have a Google account, it's already there. It is easy to use and works right out of the box. Having more than 100 people in a meeting is pretty good. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Google Hangouts. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shubham Golghate
Product Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video conferencing that is of good quality and is easy to use, but scheduling meetings is not part of the package

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases of this solution are virtual meetings with colleagues and video conferencing with friends.

• "The most valuable features are that you don't have to create a separate account, it's easy to use, and you don't have to enter an ID or password to start video conferencing."
  • "Google Hangouts restricts you to those with a Gmail account."

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution. They have Google Meets, which does the same as Google Hangouts and it has more features. I would advise them to use Google Meets instead. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Florent ADODO
IT Assistant at Hotel 2 Fevrier
Has the ability to connect through your phone and computer

What is our primary use case?

We have a group of people that uses Google Hangouts. We chose Google Hangouts because most of the users are on Google and we don't want to use WhatsApp. We publish things like documents for all the members who are on it. I can use WhatsApp, but I prefer Google Hangouts because with Google Hangouts we can directly share our screen. If you have two or three on Google Hangouts directly, someone can share their screen, and you can see what he's doing.

• "The ability to share a screen during a meeting is one of the most valuable features. You can also be directly connected on the computer and on the phone with the same account. It is flexible."
  • "We purchased a videoconference system called Zoom. We want to see if Google Hangouts has the ability to integrate our Zoom device to use it with Hangouts and meet directly."

What other advice do I have?

Most of the companies are going to Microsoft products but Google is easier to use. Google is a good product but it'll be better if they fix some videoconference issues. With Microsoft, you can integrate all of your devices. With Logitech and other companies, you can connect it directly through the cloud and you can use it directly, no need to go for another supplier. But with Google, you need to go with another supplier. I would rate it an eight out of ten. In the next release, I would like the ability to videoconference with a connectivity plugin.
ME
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable group meetings with automatic focus on the speaker

What is our primary use case?

We are using Google Hangouts for video meetings and group chat sessions.

• "The group chat is a very good feature, where you can see all of the participants on cameras."
  • "I would like to see more focus on features for interacting with the participants in a group chat, such as screen sharing."

Mahathir Mohiuddin
Senior Executive at Divine IT Limited
Excellent voice and video clarity without time lag issues

What is our primary use case?

We use Google Hangouts as our major mode of communication. I'm a senior executive and we're a user of the solution.

• "Very good voice and video calling options."
  • "Sending documents and other things is not an option."

What other advice do I have?

I would give this solution a perfect score if they could tweak some of the issues they have such as the messaging. Other than that, I think it's a great product. For now, I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Gonzalo Cuatrecasas
CIO at OCA Global
Easy to use, integrates well, and the session recording is useful

What is our primary use case?

We use Google Hangouts for virtual meetings.

• "The ease of navigation is good, as we can easily share data and screens."
  • "The algorithm should be improved to automatically deal with poor connections in a better way."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is not to try anything else if you are already using Google Suite as your collaborative tool in the company. Basically, if you are using G-Suite then you should be using Google Hangouts because it works. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Mubashar Hanif
Network Administrator at Lahore Garrison university
video conferencing features enable more than two or three people to be connected at a time but it should have meeting reminders

• "The most valuable features are the chat features and the video conferencing features that enable more than two or three people to be connected at a time."
  • "There should be more space for multiple users at a time so that multiple people can connect, can share, and even transfer control to another colleague, employer, student, etc."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a six out of ten. The security is already there but there should be more ability to share features. The other feature they should include is Zoom control; if one colleague wants to give control to another, there can be two, three or four sharing their presentations.
See 2 more Google Hangouts Reviews
Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Google Hangouts Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.