Google Kubernetes Engine OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Kubernetes Engine is #10 ranked solution in Container Management software. IT Central Station users give Google Kubernetes Engine an average rating of 8 out of 10. Google Kubernetes Engine is most commonly compared to Trend Micro Deep Security:Google Kubernetes Engine vs Trend Micro Deep Security. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is Google Kubernetes Engine?

Kubernetes Engine is a managed, production-ready environment for deploying containerized applications. It brings our latest innovations in developer productivity, resource efficiency, automated operations, and open source flexibility to accelerate your time to market.

Google Kubernetes Engine was previously known as GKE.

Download the Container Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Google Kubernetes Engine Customers

Philips Lighting, Alpha Vertex, GroupBy, BQ

Google Kubernetes Engine Video

Archived Google Kubernetes Engine Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior DevOps/Build Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Easy to control and manage containers at all levels and is easy to create CD

• "The initial setup was very easy because it's like a Google platform as a service. It's just one button to set it up. The deployment took only a few minutes."
  • "There are some security issues, but it might just be because we are not up to speed yet as much as we should be and so we haven't found it in the documentation yet. That's why I don't want to confuse this. Still, it could be a little bit easier to understand and implement."

What is our primary use case?

Kubernetes Engine is a platform that spins off applications so they can be run at scale at a high level.

We are currently migrating from on-premises to the cloud version.

How has it helped my organization?

First of all, it's easier to control and manage the containers at all levels. It becomes easy to create CD, or continuous delivery, and it's easier to scale.

What is most valuable?

Kubernetes Engines is easy to deploy and manage.

What needs improvement?

There are some security issues, but it might just be because we are not up to speed yet as much as we should be and so we haven't found it in the documentation yet. That's why I don't want to confuse this. Still, it could be a little bit easier to understand and implement.

They could also probably improve their monitoring features. We mostly don't use the graphical display. We use command lines, so this isn't a big issue for us.

We've been using Google Kubernetes for about half a year.

For me, Kubernetes Engines was pretty stable.

This is a very scalable product. We are increasing our use because our customer has a lot of products and he wants to migrate out of the application to cloud. He will use Kubernetes to do this.

As I work with different customers, it was a customer decision. I have no choice. I used Amazon Container Services, ACS, before. It was not bad, but I like Kubernetes better.

The initial setup was very easy because it's like a Google platform as a service. It's just one button to set it up. The deployment took only a few minutes.

What other advice do I have?

Management and deployment of a lot of containers could be very easy. It saves us time.

I think Kubernetes is really a fast developing and easy to use platform.

I would probably rate it as nine out of ten since it does have a little bit of room for improvement.

Balamurali P
Solution Architect at Tata Elxsi
Good for microservices and almost zero downtime for deployment

• "Stability-wise, this solution is really good."
  • "The network configuration has to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for authorization and service deployment.

What is most valuable?

The CLI commands are good.

What needs improvement?

The network configuration has to be simplified.

I would like to see a more user-friendly interface. Currently, it is a little complex, and the technical guides are not easy to follow. Compared to other applications, the documentation needs a lot of improvement.

Cluster-based software support needs to be improved.

Two years.

Stability-wise, this solution is really good.

Scalability for this solution depends on the application. For normal microservice-related applications where there is no clustering, it is really evolved and easy to scale. However, for cluster-based applications such as MariaDB, or other cluster-based tools, scalability is complex and it needs to have more documentation.

We are using the solution for managing deployments, so there are only five or six users.

We have not subscribed to outside help for this solution. We have been using Google to search the forums for issues that we encounter. There is no defined place where I can refer problems and find answers.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is not straightforward. While it is not too difficult, there are some complexities. For example, sometimes when we add to the network there is an error and something goes wrong, which means that we have to start again, from scratch.

This is an open source solution, so there is no pricing or licensing.

I evaluated Docker Swarm, but compared to that, Kubernetes is very good. Docker Swarm is only for small applications.

What other advice do I have?

This is a really good product for independent applications or microservices. The downtime is minimal, and we have even made it zero downtime for deployment. However, when they are cluster-based applications, it is really complex.

Find out what your peers are saying about Google, VMware, Cisco and others in Container Management. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vyacheslav Balvinskiy
Head of Infra and Applications support department at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
An improvement over our traditional methods but additional security is required

• "Before using this solution, it was a lot of manual tasks and a lot of people participated in the process."
  • "I think that security is an important point, and there should be additional features for the evaluation of data in containers that will create a more secure environment for usage in multi-parent models."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to arrange the correct CICD (Continuous Integration / Continous Deployment) conveyor to provide for continuous changes in production.

How has it helped my organization?

The improvement is mainly connected to the speed of change implementation. In the case of the automatic convenor, we spent less time due to the automation of the process. Before using this solution, it was a lot of manual tasks and a lot of people participated in the process.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the horizontal staging of applications. Other important features include isolation of applications and more effective usage of infrastructure due to less consumption of resources by containers.

One year (pre-production).

We have not seen any signs of instability, and have an optimistic view of the solution.

Scalability is an important feature of this solution, and we are happy with it.

We have approximately one hundred people using the solution. It is mostly developers and quality assurance people who are working on the preparation for CICD.

Once we move to production, next year, our usage will increase.

I think technical support is good enough.

We did not use an integrated solution prior to this. Rather, it was done in a more traditional way. This included virtual machine creation, installation of additional software, and connection to an external CICD conveyor, etc. We are switching because we are interested in more widely using continuous technology.

Our motivation for switching is to simplify creating a CICD process. We have a lot of small changes and after testing, we will be using an automated process for product delivery.

We are currently in a test phase and are estimating the feasibility of moving this to production. Our plan is to finalize testing by the end of this year and move the solution to production at the beginning of next year.

We have two people working the maintenance of this solution, but frankly speaking, it is not enough. We are planning to improve our skills and capacity and expand these resources.

We communicate directly with somebody who is part of OpenShift. They are top guys and have enough experience to help us build our system. It's no problem.

We do not have a local team in Russia, but at some point, that may change and we will use a local integrator.

We are planning to reach a positive ROI using this solution.

We are planning to use external support, and hire a commercial partner for it. Usually, this is about twenty percent of the solution.

We have been watching what is happening the market, and for some time it has been obvious that Kubernetes has the most followers and most potential. This is why we are starting with Kubernetes from the beginning.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is not to implement this solution unless there is a genuine demand for it from the business side. It can be useful to start from the bottom of the infrastructure and take it to the highest level because it requires changes in the development and business levels to work with this technology.

I think that there is enough documentation available to start to work with this product. The technology provides a very good opportunity to grow and improve.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Product Categories
Container Management
Download our free Container Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Google, VMware, Cisco, and more!
Quick Links