GoToMeeting OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

GoToMeeting is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Virtual Meetings tools. It is most often compared to Zoom: GoToMeeting vs Zoom

What is GoToMeeting?

GoToMeeting web conferencing software makes it simple and cost-effective to collaborate online with colleagues and customers. Best of all, meeting participants can share their webcams in high definition, so you can enjoy more personal interactions _ without needing a complicated setup.

GoToMeeting Buyer's Guide

Download the GoToMeeting Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

GoToMeeting Customers

AAPT, ACD Groupe, Addison Fire, Avigilon Corporation, Basic Industries Ltd., Bitdefender, Branson School Online, Budd Van Lines, Business Fitness, Business Wire

GoToMeeting Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about GoToMeeting pricing:
  • "It is a little expensive although now, with the competition from Zoom and other products, they have lowered their prices and it is better."

GoToMeeting Reviews

Jacky Hood
CEO at FieldDay Solutions, Inc.
A straightforward setup with good stability and decent pricing

• "GoToMeeting's security is very good. I've never known anybody to crash a GoToMeeting."
  • "I didn't like the fact that they tried to make their new version look like Zoom."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for meetings.

What is most valuable?

The price is very good if you get 150 users. It used to be owned by Citrix, and they sold it off to LogMeIn. LogMeIn increased the number of users, first from 25 to 50, and then to 150, and they didn't raise the price.

They now have a version that allows you to not only have an audio/video archive, but also a text version of the meeting. With a text transcript, you can quickly find something somebody said or somebody's name without having to listen for another 30 or 40 minutes. That's very convenient. I don't think any of the other remote meeting solutions are offering that right now.

For example, I once spent three hours trying to listen to a piece of an archive over and over and over again to find some specific information. Having a written transcript is great. I do it with my voicemail too. My voicemail is all now voice-to-text. It's just so much faster to be able to read. I don't care for this obsession everybody has with doing videos for everything, because they disturb people around you. If you can read you can find what you need immediately. That's why I believe a written transcript is a great feature.

The panel where you set up and schedule meetings allows you to schedule rooms, or you can schedule individual meetings. A really nice feature of GoToMeeting that the others don't have is that it hosts the archives. You get these big files anywhere from 50MBs to 300MBs. GoToMeeting is hosted in the cloud.

In the case of Microsoft Meet, you can't even get the archive without paying an arm and a leg. With other solutions, you have to download these huge files. Then, if you want to share them with somebody else, they have to download them as well. GTM destroys the archives after a year. If you need to keep something more than a year you can always download that one particular file.

What needs improvement?

The new version crashes my ISP. I don't like the new version. I hope they continue to support the Classic version.

I didn't like the fact that LogMeIn tried to make their new version look like Zoom. The feature in the Classic version includes a little panel for GoToMeeting to be off to the side, and it doesn't interfere with your browser. It is much better.

All these companies, including the new version of GoToMeeting, have a useless bunch of controls at the top that blocks the tabs of your browser. This makes it so that you can't jump around from tab to tab when you're showing your screen. Those controls are so tiny.

Yesterday I was on a session on one of the products (not GTM), and it had shrunk it down to one inch by one inch. It was so small that I couldn't find the tab to make it bigger. That's a big issue.

In this attempt to look like Zoom, GTM has gone to the extent where the controls are a little skinny line above your browser. That's not good. The controls need to be highly visible, and contrast so they are easy to read and find.

It would be nice if they would have a whiteboard where everybody in the meeting can draw or write on it. We use Google Docs for that purpose, but Google Docs doesn't really allow you to draw. When I was running a different college system, the college system had a whiteboard. All the students and the teachers could all write on the whiteboard with their fingers, as I recall. It'd be nice if they would have something similar available in the future.

I've been using the solution for six or seven years. It may have even been longer than that.

I have AT&T as my ISP. Only when I went to the new version of GTM, and it would crash my AT&T. The interesting thing was, even though I was the host, the meeting went on without me.

I was running the new version for a couple of meetings that had to have lots of cameras and it would crash my AT&T. My AT&T never crashes, so this was really unusual. Then I'd get back on, and I'd find out everybody was still meeting without me, which was kind of cool. I don't know how they make that happen, that the host can be off and yet the meeting can continue, but that's the case.

When the pandemic first started, GoToMeeting offered free subscriptions, and then they got overwhelmed with new customers. Due to that, they were down for about a day. The archives didn't work for a few days. Since then it's been very stable. I don't know what they did. They must have bought some more servers or something, however, it's been very stable since that one day of the outage.

My subscription allows 150 attendees. That's way more than I need for FieldDay, our clients, and our Project Management World events. People who need more than 150 users should select GotoWebinar which can accommodate up to 3000 users.

When the pandemic first started, GoToMeeting offered free subscriptions, and then they got so many new customers, they kind-of crashed and they were down for about a day. While we didn't call technical support, we, and other users, jumped on Twitter and communicated with the solution that way. They were great. They got everything back up and running and it's been very good since then. We've been satisfied with technical support so far.

Many years ago, I used WebEx. It used to be the only solution in town. Then, when Zoom first came out almost 20 years ago, we were using some community college tools, including a tool called Illuminate and another called CCC Confer. Zoom came to us and asked us to do the beta trial of their new product and use it for education. Unfortunately, at that time, it was really in bad shape. We needed whiteboards and that they didn't have as a feature.

We don't usually use Zoom specifically as there's the potential that people can "crash" meetings, and we'd prefer to avoid that. GoTo has much better security.

The only setup needed is to create Rooms to use the same URL for every meeting in that room. These were easy to setup but I do not recommend them. Meetings held in rooms do not show up on the GTM calendar so there can be a problem of meetings interfering with each other.

Implementation does not apply to GTM or its competitors. Download it or use it in a browser. No implementation is needed.

Tremendous. Classic GTM is an amazing product and much better than the competition. Unfortunately the new version of GTM is another Zoom-lookalike. I hope that Classic stays around forever.

You can get free subscriptions. I have a paid subscription. The CEO has a paid subscription, but we can't afford to buy GoTomeeting for every person. They get the free ones instead. There's some limitations on those, and all these other companies are also offering free options. Some of them have a restriction on items such as "you can't schedule meetings in advance", or "the meetings can only be 45 minutes", etc. There are always restrictions on the free versions, which is fair. They shouldn't have to give away your product.

What other advice do I have?

I use the solution every day, two or three times a day. We also use GoToWebinar as well, which is their webinar product.

GTM has two versions available. One is called New GoToMeeting, and one is called Classic. I prefer Classic. When I'm doing PowerPoint and Google Docs, and when we're using faces and cameras, the new version looks a lot like Zoom. The others are where it's just a bunch of faces or people on their cameras.

As an aside, when I use the new version, I have to use Windows 10. That's because my Windows 10 machine has a camera, and my Windows 7 machine does not have a camera. So that's a big distinction between the two versions for me.

I'd advise new users that they need to figure out what it is that they're going to do with it. If they're looking for just talking heads and cameras, then they should use the new version. If they're doing more sharing of documents then they should use the Classic version.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Paul Singh
Manager ICT at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
Works perfectly fine but I would like for there to be screen recording features

• "We don't have any link issues whether you use it to browser, or use it as a client. It worked perfectly fine for us."
  • "In the next release, I would for it to incorporate files more efficiently from one computer to another when we covert things and send them out. I'm not sure if it's capable of that."

What is our primary use case?

We have used it at my previous employment to connect for our weekly meetings for all our branches and video conferencing meetings as well.

What needs improvement?

When we bought it, it worked perfectly fine for us. We didn't have any fancy features that we required. Currently, it runs the meeting well. We can hear and see the other side. We can share screens. So there are no issues. Some improvements that i would like to see in the future is if they can measure or capture latency in the conferencing sessions and probably a small graphical interface that shows the live status of stability or jitters in the link, to establish any issues, whether its a link or bandwidth issue. This feature will be very helpful for on-spot troubleshooting and ironing out important conferencing calls.

We have been using it since around 2017 December/January.

I have had no issues. Unless there have been ISP issues, apart from that we never had any issues. We used to connect with overseas vendors, partners, clients.

Apart from when we only had a link outage or anything to do with the link issue. But otherwise, GoToMeeting is an awesome product.

We don't have any issues whether you use it to browser, or use it as a client. It worked perfectly fine for us.

It is scalable. We only needed the licensing for two conferencing groups. So at one point in time, it's two groups who have a conference. We only got a license for a group of two, and then we had individual connectivity. It worked fine for us, no issues.

I don't remember ever contacting technical support. We probably did when we initially bought it. It was very simple to configure, nothing complicated about it. It's all online-based. We add all of the users and send them a link.

We also used Skype and TeamViewer. I think Skype was a slightly heavier application compared to GoToMeeting was much smoother.

I haven't used Skype for a long time. I wouldn't know if Skype has improved. It worked definitely fine for us. It did what it was supposed to do.

What other advice do I have?

GoToMeeting does simple video conferencing and has meetings set in two or three conferencing groups. Those types of meetings go perfectly fine. But if somebody is planning to intensively use it daily and their user requirement is a lot more than what I've experienced, I would suggest do a trial for a month or so and make the most out of it in order to see what the traffic is like and how it behaves in the network. Check to see if you have any issues in the chat.

I think it all depends on how stable your link is and how you traffic-shape your policies in your Firewall. I think that it also plays a major role in how other application works.

I would rate GoToMeeting a seven out of ten. Not a ten because there is always room for improvement.

In the next release, I would like for it to incorporate file transfers more efficiently from one computer to another when we covert things and send them out. I'm not sure if it's capable of that.

I would like it to be able to do screen recording. You can do a voice recording of the presentation but not sure if could do a screen recording. It would be helpful during or when conducting a training.

Learn what your peers think about GoToMeeting. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jnanakumari Sadasivam
IT Executive at Ls Advisors
Enables us to save money on travel and has good screen sharing features

• "I think all the features are very useful, especially the rooms features and we present with screen sharing. Instead of organizing conferences, we are able to do that online. This has been saving us from spending on travel. From the beginning of this year, because of GoToMeeting, I have canceled I think three or four business trips."
  • "I don't know whether it is an issue or not but my boss was asking me if person one is in one room, and another person wanted to use another room at the same time, I don't know whether it is possible."

What is our primary use case?

My boss uses it every week because it is what we use for having all of our meetings. Because of COVID-19 and all, we had to cancel all of our business trips, and we are conducting all of our meetings with GoToMeeting.

What is most valuable?

I think all the features are very useful, especially the rooms features and we present with screen sharing. Instead of organizing conferences, we are able to do that online. This has been saving us from spending on travel. From the beginning of this year, because of GoToMeeting, I have canceled I think three or four business trips.

Normally, we do spend a lot on travel in the office. But while my boss was experiencing GoToMeeting, the conference call that enables us to do presentations and deal with clients, he realized that we could be doing it all via GoToMeeting instead of going from one country to another one. We have saved a lot and we are very satisfied with it.

We had a conversation about GoToMeeting on Friday and he said that he will continue with it. We are planning to register for more accounts. Because we had registered with the trial version.

What needs improvement?

I don't know whether it is an issue or not but my boss was asking me if person one is in one room, and another person wanted to use another room at the same time, I don't know whether it is possible. Normally, I don't use that feature as much as my boss does. He was saying that we have to see about that feature, if there's a possibility to use two rooms at the same time, with two staff members logging into the same account, at the same time.

I have been using it since the beginning of this year. Secure Services proposed it to me, and I proposed it to my boss. We started with a trial version of course, and after that, he saw that it is a very helpful tool, since we've got lots of meetings to do, and we can't just go travel. We even use it for our weekly conference calls with all the 18 members in the company. After that, we integrated all of our clients together. We even did a Webinar with GoToMeeting. In fact, I have one next week.

For the time being, scalability is okay. It's suitable for our requirements.

We have 15 users in the Mauritius branch, 25 in Paris, and we have 5 users in Switzerland.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

I would like for them to incorporate a whiteboard feature. With Teams, while doing a presentation, and while discussing with clients, sometimes we do use that option. And on Teams I can see that this feature is there.

RK
Director, Information Technology at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It's free for a limited number of users but unstable

• "It was just chosen because somebody at the company said, "We need a meeting thing. Hey, go find a meeting thing." It wasn't me, but somebody else in the organization was like, "Alright, let's use GoToMeeting. It's free.""
  • "GoToMeeting breaks down a lot. We're not sure if it's breaking down, but we start getting very erratic community channels. I don't know if it's because of GoToMeeting or if we're not buying enough bandwidth. Maybe it is just the infrastructure that it's running on. I'm not quite sure."

What is our primary use case?

We use GoToMeeting for video conferencing. It's usually between 15 and 20 participants per meeting.

What needs improvement?

We have our meetings on GoToMeeting, and everything is unmuted by default. So there's a frigging ton of noise in the background. And these are board meetings, so you can't tell the board of directors like, "Would you get it together here, dude? You're making a mess of this whole meeting because you have no clue how to use technology."

We've been using GoToMeeting ever since the COVID outbreak started.

GoToMeeting breaks down a lot. We're not sure if it's breaking down, but we start getting very erratic community channels. I don't know if it's because of GoToMeeting or if we're not buying enough bandwidth. Maybe it is just the infrastructure that it's running on. I'm not quite sure.

I don't recall using LogMein tech support. I haven't personally, but then I'm not the tech guy. I'm the guy who signs contracts.

Teams and GoToMeeting are the solutions we initiate from. Some people like initiating their meetings from Teams. Some people like initiating their meetings from GoToMeeting. We've also used Webex but never on a large scale, so I have no opinion on whether it is more stable than GoToMeeting.

I'm not sitting here analyzing the 900 ways that I can communicate. I might've been on Webex meetings where there were 50 people because one of the vendors was doing a big presentation for all their customers, or there may have been 20. Were there 20 people on that? Were there 100 people on that? I don't know. I just know there were a lot of people on there. I didn't sit and count. And as a vendor, he controls it. The vendor can say, "Okay, I don't want to see any pictures. Everybody is muted." So it looks like it's a good presentation.

There's really no reason we went with GoToMeeting over the others. It was just chosen because somebody at the company said, "We need a meeting thing. Hey, go find a meeting thing." It wasn't me, but somebody else in the organization was like, "Alright, let's use GoToMeeting. It's free." Then we started using it for free. Then we were already using it so we started paying for it for more users.

GG
Senior Program Manager at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Good iPhone support but it is too slow compared to other products

• "The most important feature for me was the iPhone app."
  • "GoToMeeting is too slow, which is why we no longer use it."

What is our primary use case?

We are no longer using GoToMeeting but we were using it for video conferencing.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for me was the iPhone app.

What needs improvement?

GoToMeeting is too slow, which is why we no longer use it.

I don't like the fact that you have to enter your password every time you use it. My phone is my phone and it should assume that it is me using it when a call comes in. It should be more flexible in this regard because if my iPhone rings then I can answer it. However, if GoToMeeting rings, then I can't just answer it without entering a password. It isn't as if it is a bank or a wallet for electronic currency.

I was using GoToMeeting for about a year and a half.

It is a stable solution.

It is scalable because the stability was consistent, even as the number of meeting participants increased. We have perhaps 60 users in the company.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

Prior to GoToMeeting, I used Webex and Zoom. I also have experience with Google Hangouts.

With Google Hangouts, I have the same problem with the speed of the connection slowing down too much when we are sharing screens.

GoToMeeting was too slow, so our company has changed to Zoom. With Zoom, we don't have as much trouble with the connection speed slowing down when we are sharing screens.

What other advice do I have?

GoToMeeting is a nice program and they have a lot of features.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JA
Owner at UNIWAN.BE SPRL
Enables us to organize meetings with customers and partners around the world

• "The key advantage of GoToMeeting is the ability to use it without installing anything."
  • "The enrolment for a non-IT user should be easier. It should be simplified for non-IT users."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for organizing meetings with my customers and partners around the world. My intention is to organize webinars and training.

What is most valuable?

The key advantage of GoToMeeting is the ability to use it without installing anything.

What needs improvement?

The software is stable but I think the performance is not the best on the market. I was in a meeting yesterday and it kept on freezing. I don't think it was due to the software. It was more due to the infrastructure of GoToMeeting. We missed some parts of the discussion during the meeting.

It's scalable. I've been to big meetings and it's quite scalable.

I haven't been in touch with technical support yet.

The initial setup was straightforward. It only took a few minutes to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone implementing this solution is to have a good camera and microphone.

I would recommend Zoom as opposed to GoToMeeting. Zoom has a new feature that offers the ability to change the background. You can hide what's behind your chair. It's useful to have the ability to change the background of your video. Zoom has the ability to change your background to whatever you want, even the view, and in GoToMeeting, you don't have that option at all.

It seems trivial but during meetings, some of my technicians don't want to turn on the camera because they don't want what's behind them to show.

I would rate GoToMeeting an eight out of ten.

General Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Lightweight, easy to set up, and has a simple interface

• "I like GoToMeeting because it is lighter than other solutions, such as Webex."
  • "The interface is a little outdated and could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for video conferencing, normally for meeting with people external to our organization.

What is most valuable?

I like GoToMeeting because it is lighter than other solutions, such as Webex. There is less delay during meetings.

The interface is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

The interface is a little outdated and could be better. In some ways, it could be more intuitive.

I have been using GoToMeeting for seven or eight years.

Overall, this is a stable solution and I have not experienced much in the way of glitches. Normally, we use GoToMeeting for having meetings once or twice per month.

My typical meeting size is about ten people, which has been fine. We have had no trouble with connecting, sharing data, or sharing our screens. I'm not sure how a meeting of 1,000 participants would be because I haven't been involved in one.

I am currently using Zoom, Webex, and GoToMeeting.

Feature-wise, there is not much difference between GoToMeeting and Webex. However, Webex is a little bit heavier and slower at times.

The initial setup is easy and it only takes a few minutes to do.

I performed the setup.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I find GoToMeeting very simple and easy to use. If somebody is not satisfied with Zoom or Webex then I would recommend that they try this product. It is a good alternative.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AbdAllah Marrouche
IT Manager at Capital Guidance
A stable conferencing solution with dial-in capability

• "The most valuable feature is the dial-in capability."
  • "Manageability needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for having meetings with people that need to dial in from the outside.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the dial-in capability.

What needs improvement?

Manageability needs to be improved.

I have been using GoToMeeting for seven to eight years.

I haven't experienced any problems in terms of stability.

Scalability has not been a problem.

It is difficult to reach the people at GoToMeeting, even if you're trying to reach somebody in sales. I find this strange because they have an amazing product, but you would expect to have trouble reaching a company when it is the opposite.

I have used Zoom with one of my clients and I also use Microsoft Teams.

If Microsoft Teams had dial-in capability then I would use it instead, rather than paying extra for GoToMeeting.

I purchased ten licenses for GoToMeeting. It is a little expensive although now, with the competition from Zoom and other products, they have lowered their prices and it is better.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this solution is very good. Only the management and pricing are in need of improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Other