Graylog OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Graylog is the #16 ranked solution in our list of Log Management Software. It is most often compared to Splunk: Graylog vs Splunk

What is Graylog?

Graylog is purpose-built to deliver the best log collection, storage, enrichment, and analysis. Graylog is:

• Considerably faster analysis speeds.
  • More robust and easier-to-use analysis platform.
  • Simpler administration and infrastructure management.
  • Lower cost than alternatives.
  • Full-scale customer service.
  • No expensive training or tool experts required.

Graylog is also known as Graylog2.

Download the Log Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Graylog Customers

Blue Cross Blue Shield, eBay, Cisco, LinkedIn, SAP, King.com, Twilio, Deutsche Presse-Agentur

Graylog Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Graylog pricing:
  • "It's an open-source solution that can be used free of charge."

Graylog Reviews

CharlesNetshivhera
Senior DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, scalable, easy to install and maintain

• "Graylog's search functionality, alerting functionality, user management, and dashboards are useful."
  • "Graylog can improve the index rotation as it's quite a complex solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use Graylog for developer login to assist developers and help them find issues faster, and for certain applications in production.

How has it helped my organization?

The centralized logs where one can find bugs quicker and find the line of code that is a problem has made us more efficient. The turn around time for production support is quite high when using this kind of solution.

What is most valuable?

Graylog's search functionality, alerting functionality, user management, and dashboards are useful. They also provide an easy way to create dashboards, and the interface is also quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Graylog can improve the index rotation as it's quite complicated. They need to work on that because it's quite cumbersome to manage the index rotation with all the logs.

The filtering of logs before ingestion also needs a bit of work. This is because you have to write some code to avoid certain things before ingesting. As it doesn't support certain AIX versions, you need to upgrade the servers to accommodate it.

I have been using Graylog for about three years.

Graylog is quite stable, and the only issue is the index rotation.

Graylog is scalable and can be deployed in a clustered distributed environment.

The support from the Graylog community is helpful, but they can do better. The enterprise support doesn't really cater to open-source solutions. They only support you if you are an enterprise working on a POC. If you want to do a POC for an enterprise solution, they need assurances that you'll buy their enterprise solution.

I have used different solutions like Nagios before. These solutions are more like manual processes where logging and viewing of logs are conducted on the server.

Others like ELK are difficult to use because it isn't straightforward and requires a lot of reading. You have to learn quite a lot before using it.

Graylog is quite easy to set up. As it comes with a prepackaged installation file, it's not complex to install and takes one to three days to deploy. If you have to study the documentation and then implement it, I think you can do it within a week.

All implementation was handled in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Graylog is straightforward to install and easy to maintain. It also comes with alerting. But one has to be mindful of the support and disadvantages like the index rotation.

On a scale from one to ten, I give Graylog an eight.

AT
Entrepreneur at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Excellent, simple log management; user friendly and open source

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution regularly for analyzing incidents, collecting them to figure out what's going on. For now, I'm using it myself but would like to also deploy for some of my customers in the near future. I'm an entrepreneur in a security solutions company and a customer of Graylog.

What is most valuable?

I like the simplicity of the solution, the fact that it's open source and user friendly.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if they would work more on the documentation because it's not very clear and ideally I'd like to be able to do more myself, but would need some additional guidelines and material for that.

I've been using this solution for a year.

What do I think about the stability of

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for a year.

It's a stable solution.

I believe it's a scalable solution but haven't tested it yet.

The technical support is a weak point in this product. It's not so easy to contact them and they don't answer immediately. Sometimes it takes a lot of time and the wait is difficult. If I had enough documentation I might not need the support.

The initial setup was relatively straightforward. I was able to deploy it myself in a couple of days. For now, I'm the only user. I know it can be scaled for free for up to five users and I'll test that soon.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about Graylog, Splunk, Elastic and others in Log Management. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BK
Network Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Good correlation and alerting capabilities, helpful community support, and easy to install

• "I like the correlation and the alerting."
  • "I would like to see some kind of visualization included in Graylog."

What is most valuable?

I like the correlation and the alerting. If I have multiple monitoring systems and I alert Graylog, Graylog will collect them and analyze them, and issue one alert.

We are only approximately four months into production and have not explored all of the features this solution offers. So far, it has everything we wanted.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some kind of visualization included in Graylog. The report is plain, they could be improved.

I have been using Graylog for approximately five months.

We are using the latest version.

Graylog community is very good.

We are also using Zenoss.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It's an open-source solution that can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Graylog to others who are interested in using it.

At this point with the features that I have used, I would rate Graylog a ten out of ten.