HAProxy OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HAProxy is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Application Delivery Controllers. It is most often compared to F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM): HAProxy vs F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM)

What is HAProxy?

HAProxy is the most widely used software load balancer and application delivery controller in the world. The core HAProxy application delivery engine is an open source project chiefly maintained by HAProxy Technologies and assisted by a thriving open source community. HAProxy Community Edition is available for free at haproxy.org. HAProxy Enterprise Edition is packaged with additional enterprise class features, services and premium support from HAProxy Technologies.

HAProxy is also known as HAProxy Community Edition, HAProxy Enterprise Edition, HAPEE.

Download the Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

HAProxy Customers
Booking.com, GitHub, Reddit, StackOverflow, Tumblr, Vimeo, Yelp

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HAProxy pricing:
  • "It is free of cost."
  • "HAProxy is free in the initial offer. However, pricing can be improved."

HAProxy Reviews

ST
Director at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Open-source, free, and has a lot of customizations, but needs more support and standard documentation for customizations

• "Load balancing is valuable, and we are also using the WAF feature."
  • "There is no standardized document available. So, any individual has to work from scratch to work it out. If some standard deployment details are available, it would be helpful for people while deploying it. There should be more documentation on the standard deployment."

What is our primary use case?

We are just using this product in our UAT environment.

What is most valuable?

Load balancing is valuable, and we are also using the WAF feature.

It is a complete open-source product. The good thing is that there is a lot of customization and development.

What needs improvement?

When you have to customize it for your application requirements, there are a lot of challenges. There should be more support for customization. To customize it better, there should be some kind of programming integration.

I have been using this solution for two and a half years.

It is completely open-source, so updates come very frequently. To the most extent, it is stable.

It is an open-source product, so you have to work on technical support. You can take premium support from HAProxy, and that helps a lot, but it is not comparable to other enterprise products because it is a free-of-cost product.

I also use F5. I am looking to replace F5 with HAProxy for some of my non-critical applications.

HAProxy is open source. So, if you have cost concerns, you can go for it. It is good for basic application load balancing. If you don't have budget limitations or you have critical applications, you should definitely go for F5 because of the standardization and the product experience they have in handling mission-critical applications.

Its initial setup is easy and not very complex. If you have a general understanding of how containers and VMware work, it is not very problematic to deploy it.

The initial setup documentation of HAProxy is good, but when you have to customize it for your application requirements, it gets difficult.

It is free of cost.

What other advice do I have?

We have currently deployed it for one product. For non-critical applications, it is a good choice. You can definitely go for it if you have cost concerns, your application is not very dynamic, or you are looking for a basic load balancing product.

I would rate HAProxy a six out of 10.

IY
Network security at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Works for application load balancing, but pricing, monitoring, and reports need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for application load balancing.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it works for my use case of application load balancing. I'm using it for PeerSense, and it's easy enough for PeerSense.

What needs improvement?

Pricing, monitoring, and reports can be improved.

I have just started using HAProxy. In my organization, they've been using it for a year or two.

It was a little bit straightforward.

HAProxy is free in the initial offer. However, pricing can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend HAProxy because it is free in the initial…

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for application load balancing.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Pricing, monitoring, and reports can be improved.

It was a little bit straightforward.

HAProxy is free in the initial offer. However, pricing can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend HAProxy because it is free in the initial offer, which would work for low budget enterprises that don't have much to start with.

I would rate HAProxy a seven out of ten.