HashiCorp Terraform Overview

HashiCorp Terraform is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Configuration Management tools. It is most often compared to Red Hat Satellite: HashiCorp Terraform vs Red Hat Satellite

What is HashiCorp Terraform?

HashiCorp was founded by Mitchell Hashimoto and Armon Dadgar in 2012 with the goal of revolutionizing datacenter management: application development, delivery, and maintenance.
The datacenter of today is very different than the datacenter of yesterday, and we think the datacenter of tomorrow is just around the corner. We're writing software to take you all the way from yesterday to today, and then safely to tomorrow and beyond.
Physical, virtual, containers. Private cloud, public cloud, hybrid cloud. IaaS, PaaS, SaaS. Windows, Linux, Mac. These are just some of the choices faced when architecting a datacenter of today. And the choice is not one or the other; instead, it is often a combination of many of these.
HashiCorp builds tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, and Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc. And we're committed to supporting next-generation technologies, as well.
HashiCorp was founded and continues to be run by the primary authors of all our core technologies powering thousands of companies worldwide. We speak at conferences and write books related to application and infrastructure management.
All our foundational technologies are open source and developed openly, and have been since 2010.
The Tao of HashiCorp is the foundation that guides our vision, roadmap, and product design. As you evaluate using or contributing to HashiCorp's products, it may be valuable to understand the motivations and intentions for our work. Learn more about the Tao of HashiCorp here: https://www.hashicorp.com/tao-of-hashicorp

HashiCorp Terraform is also known as Terraform.

HashiCorp Terraform Buyer's Guide

Download the HashiCorp Terraform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HashiCorp Terraform pricing:
  • "They have given it to us at a monthly cost, but it is on a yearly basis."
  • "The setup for Terraform is quite easy and currently, we are using their community version along with Jenkins."

VR
Partner & principal technologist at SwanSpeed Consulting
Creating a VPC and VPN connectivity to the VPC can be automated

• "One of the most valuable features is that it offers the ability to create a VPC, Virtual Private Cloud and VPN connectivity to the VPC can be automated without having to do it manually."
  • "I still struggle a bit when configuring VPNs when we have multiple rules. If we have five or six virtual private clouds and we have to give rights between those multiple VPCs, we can have big problems. I think it was a learning curve and then we improved it."

What other advice do I have?

Rather than doing a monolithic Terraform for the whole infrastructure, it would be good for the script to be reusable. Use the base level script that every infrastructure would need. Generating a local IP network and then creating two instances or creating some databases and other basic scripts that all the infrastructure would need should be a base level script. Then add on your base level script with the add-on scripts on top of the base script to create infrastructure that is specific to clients. You can reuse the script, the same base group for many other purposes as well. Before using…
Ashen Perera
Sr. Systems Engineer / Tech Logic Consultant. at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Enables companies to have a lot of options to ensure faster growth

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use it for infrastructure automation. I use it to provision servers in different cloud providers and in-house with the principles to create a Kubernetes cluster. If you have a master node concept I would create the master and find related text. The main function for me is to create infrastructure.

• "I like the function that shows me a preview of what is happening in the infrastructure."
  • "If you are copying something from a well running machine to a remote machine, there are some issues with the current version, but it is acceptable."

What other advice do I have?

HashiCorp Terraform is a great product and I think anyone working with infrastructure should have it. On a scale of one to ten I guess I would give HashiCorp Terraform a nine.
Learn what your peers think about HashiCorp Terraform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chendrayan Venkatesan
Cloud Automation Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
An impressive infrastructure tool but requires a talented team to operate

What is our primary use case?

We deliver the platform as a service to businesses. For example, one request for a particular subscription could be in the business domain or non-business domain, whatever it may be, based on the demand, we deliver the customized subscription to them. For each service, we have different constraints. What needs to be delivered in the VNet of Azure, and what needs to be done externally.

• "The ARM template is very easy to work with, which is a big help to us."
  • "On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven; strictly because I was uncomfortable using the ARM template earlier. After another six months, I am sure I will give it a rating of 10, but at this point in time in my experience, I say seven, but not because of the tool itself."

What other advice do I have?

Provided your environment requires Terraform and/or you have skilled engineers who can perform the required maintenance, I would definitely recommend this solution. Terraform is not justified for use just anywhere; you need to have an experienced team to limit any issues. You need to have a certain level of training to consume the services in their DevOps Toolbox and then use them properly. I definitely support and recommend Terraform, but what you get out of it depends on the business environment as well as the team members' knowledge in Terraform. On a scale from one to ten, I would give…
OmerMizrahi
DevOps Engineer at BioCatch
Can work with different cloud providers and saves a lot of time and human errors

What is our primary use case?

We use it to provision cloud infrastructure. We use it to provision all kinds of infrastructure from wherever we want, we Terraform to the cloud. We provision new infrastructure, we update existing infrastructure with it, we manage our DNS records, and also deploy new applications on Kubernetes. That's the main use, but we use it for all of our infrastructures, so it has a lot of different use cases.

• "We save a lot of time with this solution."
  • "It should have a more object-oriented approach like different coding languages."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution would be to work with the HashiCorp Best Practices of Terraform, work with Terraform modules, and write templates for everything. I would rate Terraform a nine out of ten.
ArpanBalpande
Senior Information Technology System Analyst at YAUSH Technologies
Easy to deploy, stable, and scalable with good support and many useful features

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for infrastructure as code automation. We are running its latest version.

• "The state backend, automated describe functionality, modular structures, and variablization using templates are most valuable."
  • "The state locking functionality can be improved. In certain situations, we have to force-unlock the state, which sometimes does not work. When that happens, we have to manually go to the state backend and remove that particular state, which is kind of a cumbersome process. It should also have more functions, more expressions, and support for more products."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to understand the state backend and how Terraform works. They should also go through functions as well as expressions in the Terraform official documentation. I would rate HashiCorp Terraform an eight out of ten.
KulbhushanMayer
Cofounder & Senior Consultant at Thinknyx Technologies LLP
Supports many different platforms and has helped us to standardize our infrastructure setup

What is our primary use case?

We are using Terraform to manage our multi-cloud requirement for different demos and test environments. It helps us set up the entire environment in a few mins with the exact configuration in AWS, Azure, or GCP, along with other setups like a database, Kubernetes, etc.

• "The most valuable feature is the support for different platforms like cloud, datacenters, VCS, databases, various storage types, and Kubernetes."
  • "They have added a feature that helps us to import existing resources to our workspace, but if they can help us to create the code for the import, as well, then it would be a great addition."