HashiCorp Vault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HashiCorp Vault is #4 ranked solution in top Enterprise Password Managers. IT Central Station users give HashiCorp Vault an average rating of 8 out of 10. HashiCorp Vault is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Key Vault:HashiCorp Vault vs Microsoft Azure Key Vault. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is HashiCorp Vault?

Vault is a tool for securely accessing secrets. A secret is anything that you want to tightly control access to, such as API keys, passwords, or certificates. Vault provides a unified interface to any secret, while providing tight access control and recording a detailed audit log.

Download the Enterprise Password Managers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

HashiCorp Vault Customers
Adobe, SAP Ariba, Citadel, Spaceflight, Cruise
HashiCorp Vault Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HashiCorp Vault pricing:
  • "I am using the open-source version of Vault and I would have to buy a license if I want to get support."

HashiCorp Vault Reviews

SN
Cloud Solutions Architect
Easy to use and integrate, but the documentation needs to be updated and improved

• "This solution is easy to use and to integrate."
  • "The documentation is very general; it should have more examples and more use cases."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently conducting a PoC with HashiCorp vault to see if it meets our requirements. I have ten different use cases for the evaluation.

We are integrating it into our Key Management Service. In my previous company, we were using it to store all of our keys and secret certificates.

How has it helped my organization?

In my previous organization, all of the requirements and use cases worked well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the hub cluster in Consul.

This solution is easy to use and to integrate.

What needs improvement?

The documentation is very general; it should have more examples and more use cases. Basically, they just tell you the syntax without a better explanation of how to do things.

We learned all of the Vault Commands (CLI) and they work fine, except when we are running on an EKS cluster then the syntax changes. Most of the commands are not working.

I have been using HashiCorp Vault for less than a year.

Vault, so far, has been stable for me. I have had some trouble with Terraform, which I find is not very stable.

It is easy to scale this solution. I spin up a cluster and on top of that, I install Vault. On the backend, I use Consul for my wallet.

Because I am using the open-source version, I have not contacted technical support.

We did not use another solution before beginning our PoC.

The initial setup is easy and it is not complex or difficult to configure. You just have to understand the basic concepts of authentication.

Downloading vault and installing it, including Consul, will only take 15 or 20 minutes. The configuration depends on the use cases and depending on them, the length of time it takes will vary. It should take no longer than a day.

This is the first solution that we are evaluating. If the PoC does not go well then we will be looking into other solutions. We did not consider other options because we felt that Vault would do what we wanted.

What other advice do I have?

One of the questions that I have been trying to solve is whether it is possible to update the cloud AWS keys from the on-premises solution. I have been through the documentation and the blogs and still do not know whether it is possible. Definitely, they can be managed once they have been deployed into the cloud, but I want to know the other way around. Our intention is ultimately to deploy on-premises, which is why this is important.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to fully go through the documentation and understand all of the use cases before implementing it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

MK
Cloud Architect
Free to use and simple to navigate but has a complex setup

• "The interface is very simple to navigate."
  • "The technical support was hard to get a hold of and lacking in service."

What is most valuable?

The integration with other HashiCorp tools is very, very good.

The solution is free to use.

The interface is very simple to navigate.

What needs improvement?

We found that Microsoft Azure Vault is better due to the fact that it has integration with all of the Azure services.

It would be better if it integrated more broadly with cloud API such as Amazon Web services, et cetera.

The error handling could be a bit better.

The technical support was hard to get a hold of and lacking in service.

The initial setup could be simplified.

I have used the solution for two years. the last time I used the solution was at my old company and that was about a year or so ago.

We didn't deal too much with technical support.

Largely, we would do any repairs by looking at the documentation on our phones. They never came to the office for technical support.

They could improve their services. For example, in the case of Microsoft, you can easily create a ticket and within an hour or two get a response. When you are working with the cloud, more frequent responses are important. With this solution, we didn't even know how to initiate asking for help. We'd try to create a ticket and found that getting help would take a very long time. That's why we ended up doing our own research. We'd look at videos and work at debugging manually.

I wouldn't say that we were satisfied with the level of suppirt.

The initial setup is a bit complex.

There are two ways to set up the solution. One was with the cloud in production, where we were using integration with the cloud. Cloud account. In that case, sometimes, it requires tracking errors, which comes while integrating the cloud. That was the main problem. We mostly do our manual recheck and look for any issues via diagnosis logs. The error handling could be better.

I wasn't involved in licensing, although it is my understanding that many of HashiCorp products are free of cost. There are premium services you could purchase, however, our organization only used the free versions.

What other advice do I have?

My previous organization was using this solution, whereas the current organization I work for is not. This is due to the fact that we work on multiple projects. We are a research team, and the delivery team does the implementation. We just propose solutions to clients based on their particular requirements. We tend to use many different solutions and tools at this company.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about HashiCorp, Microsoft, CyberArk and others in Enterprise Password Managers. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RamanaBhavaraju
Founder & Principal Architect at NCompas Business Solutions Inc.
A secure solution for storing secrets

• "It can still be configured by a separate team other than developers. That's why I think it's more secure."
  • "We could use more documentation, primarily to do with integrations."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, we use this solution for the secret management side of things. Initially, we were using Azure Key Vault, but we kind of shifted to HashiCorp Vault because we are using Terraform scripts, etc. We needed a common storage mechanism.

How has it helped my organization?

It's kind of technical, but when we were using Azure Key Vault, it was more driven towards applications. Our developers were exposed to those secrets and everything, but there were some things we didn't want our DevOps team to be exposed to. This is where the Hashi Key Vault helps. It can still be configured by a separate team other than developers. That's why I think it's more secure.

What needs improvement?

We could use more documentation, primarily to do with integrations. Anybody who uses HashiCorp integrates with a public cloud, like Azure or AWS. Azure and AWS have their own secret management; how does this collaboration work between the key vault of HashiCorp to the key vault of Azure? Some of this documentation is not up to mark.

I have been using this solution for slightly more than one year.

This solution is both scalable and stable.

The technical support is pretty good.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful about how you structure your Terraform scripts. You should probably start off with some examples already given by HashiCorp before you begin implementation. Once you've gone too deep, it's difficult to factor things in and out of it. Carefully read the documentation right from the get-go.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give HashiCorp Vault a rating of eight.

Microsoft Azure