Helix ALM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Helix ALM is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Application Requirements Management tools. It is most often compared to Jira: Helix ALM vs Jira

What is Helix ALM?

TestTrack provides a centralized suite of capabilities for managing requirements, defects/issues and testing throughout the software development cycle. [1] This suite tracks everything involved in the software development process from feature requests and requirements to design revisions and actual changes in the code. [2] It keeps track of what tests were done, what was tested, who performed the test and when, on what platform, under which configuration and in what language. [3] TestTrack offers the ability to create, manage, and link artifacts from the beginning through the end of a design and development project [4] providing end-to-end traceability of all development artifacts [5] and giving managers a better handle on the shifting requirements that define their projects. [6] TestTrack enforces regulatory compliance to meet regulatory compliance requirements, including 21 CFR Part 11 and Sarbanes-Oxley.

Helix ALM is also known as TestTrack.

Download the Application Requirements Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Helix ALM Customers

Invision, Softing, CACI, Hunter Industries, ITSO, Itron, EEC, Database Consultants Australia, VirtualScopics, March Networks, WorkForce

Helix ALM Video

Archived Helix ALM Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user475116
Advanced Product Developer - Software at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Efficiently Prioritizes Work Using Filter Tables, Though Look And Feel Is Outdated

What is most valuable?

Filtering tables of requirements and defects, because it allows me to easily focus on the items that I need to work on for any given day.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to prioritize work for a given time period and sort by priority when viewing the status of our work.

What needs improvement?

1. The look and feel of the interface is very outdated.
  2. There is a steep learning curve for novice users to accomplish even basic tasks.
  3. The MDI interface usually interferes with what you’re trying to see.
  4. A modern web interface as the sole interface would be much preferred.

Eight years.

In previous versions, the client would disconnect from the TestTrack server if I switched from a wired network connection to wireless (while undocking my laptop). This seems to be fixed in recent versions.

When searching across large databases, it’s difficult to find specific items based on the Summary field.

I haven’t used Seapine / Perforce tech support directly. I have only interacted with our internal TestTrack administrator for technical issues.

We have used TestTrack for as long as I’ve been employed at my current company.

I don’t perform the initial setup of servers or projects.

I don’t know about this aspect.

I didn’t choose this product, but I’ve used other similar ALM softwares. Atlassian Jira is a far superior product in my experience.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t attempt to integrate other products into TestTrack.

Example: Automatically linking code revision numbers to defect fixes or extracting requirements into other formats.

it_user328803
Owner/CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It integrates with Subversion and makes the testing process more manageable

What is most valuable?

Integration with Subversion.

How has it helped my organization?

The testing process was more manageable.

What needs improvement?

Since I used, it has probably improved.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's great. Technical Support: It's great.

No previous solution was in place.

It wasn't that hard.

What about the

What is most valuable?

Integration with Subversion.

How has it helped my organization?

The testing process was more manageable.

What needs improvement?

Since I used, it has probably improved.

I've used it for one year.

It's great.

It's great.

No previous solution was in place.

It wasn't that hard.

We used an in-house team.

Find out what your peers are saying about Perforce, Atlassian, IBM and others in Application Requirements Management. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user324048
Software Consultant at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
It gave us the ability to define and manage a set of test cases and test sets to be run, but automation was hard to maintain for complex scripts with multiple subtest calls and I/O.

Valuable Features

The test management component (ability to define and manage a set of test cases and test sets to be run), and the test metrics were often used by me.

Improvements to My Organization

During that time the tool was in use by me, the test organization coalesced into a pyramid (centralized/organized) with Test Manager on top of the pyramid, Test Leads (for each shift) below the Test Manager, and then the Test Engineers creating tests, mapping requirements, and executing the tests.

It improved bilateral communications. Instantaneous progress metrics were viewable by the entire team. At the time, The Configuration Control Board partly relied upon TestTrack reports to judge the efficacy testing and to help determine the next set of fixes required to be placed into the release baseline.

Use of Solution

I've used the TestTrack test case management portion for approximately two and a half years during the life of the project in a medical device manufacturer’s R&D organization.

There was an effort to automate the scripts so that signals, including GUI key strokes and message traffic could be sent to the device without human intervention, but would capture and report results in the defined format.

The test cases and the automation was hard to maintain for complex scripts with multiple subtest calls and I/O. It was judged that more and better technical support was required to fix broken scripts and monitor modifications to subtest cases. In other words, we were missing needed hands-on management and dedicated Subject Matter Experts (SMAs). Should we have found the appropriate resources, and given appropriate planning and capital, the test environment could have been expanded throughout the R&D department for Verification and Validation.

The Seapine representatives and the reps that helped us to land the test server were very responsive, helpful, and knowledgeable. We required training and integration of the tool within our test environment. They understood our needs and sold us exactly what was required.

It should be noted that we had the DOORS requirement tool with several hundred requirements that was considered the record of origin for all of the test case development. So there was a need to keep the DOORS tool and add a method to synchronize requirements between DOORS and the TestTrack environment. They helped us tailor their tools suite and they wrote the original export/import routines for the DOORS requirements interface.

The client server setup required a savvy IT person to help set up the server and permissions. I would say that our configuration was average in complexity. Each client required some very minimal setup.

Implementation Team

The implementation was in-house with some vendor training. However, recall that the vendor provided us with a utility to transfer and synchronize our DOORS requirements to the TestTrack tool. I would advise at least one-day training course for any that use the tool including managers and test engineers.

ROI

ROI was traceability, real-time metrics, and test environment integrity. A graphically remote test manager could evaluate information on his/her computer dashboard to identify progress (e.g. how many tests created, approved, test sets, test runs, created/approved status, test cases populated within specific test sets, test cases passed, ID of test step failures, requirements without tests, tester ID, dates of when results were achieved and more).

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Their current pricing strategy allows for economy at three levels:

• Perpetual for $595.00 (upfront purchase and yearly maintenance cost)
  • Hosted $30/seat (10 seat minimum; free support and upgrades)
  • Subscription $30/seat (unlimited users; free support and upgrade)
it_user272109
Software QA Analyst at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The product cannot easily be customized for specific needs, but when used for bug reporting, the product is great.

What is most valuable?

Test runs and test cases are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

When used for bug reporting, the product is great when searching for specific bugs. The search feature is highly customizable.

What needs improvement?

It is too slow and unstable, and the performance could be better. Also, we cannot fully use this product on mobile versions, or on the web-based versions.

I've been using the Pro version for two years. I was the QA Process Technician. I was an admin responsible for adding the users to the database, managing licences, and managing security groups.

No issues encountered.

The software was slow and, sometimes, crashed for a few users.

The product cannot be easily customized for specific needs. Also, the people using mobile platforms cannot quickly access the databases, and I couldn't find a web-based version, which would have been useful.

Customer service was so-so. They didn't seem willing to add the missing features for our project needs.

Technical support is okay, but often too generic. I had to repeat myself a lot about what I wanted to achieve with the software.

I gave up on Test Track Pro and used JIRA instead.

It's too expensive for the quality of the product.

I tried JIRA, Mantis, and Rally. However I had to give up on Test Track Pro for several reasons.

What other advice do I have?

Check your needs and budget as you may find a better product for cheaper.

Download our free Application Requirements Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Perforce, Atlassian, IBM, and more!
Quick Links