HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Managed File Transfer (MFT) tools. It is most often compared to IBM Sterling File Gateway: HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT vs IBM Sterling File Gateway

What is HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT?

GoAnywhere MFT is an award-winning managed file transfer software which streamlines, secures, and automates critical file transfers through a centralized enterprise-level solution. The software allows organizations to connect to internal and external systems and exchange encrypted data using industry-standard protocols (e.g. OpenPGP, AES, FTPS, SFTP, HTTPS, AS2, and GPG).

This solution can save you time & money, improve security, and help meet compliance requirements.

Key Features:

- Browser-to-browser or sever-to-server file transfer and encryption

- Security features to help meet HIPAA, PCI DSS, SOX, GDPR, and other compliance requirements

- Cloud integration and hosted deployments

- EDI X12 and EDIFACT file translation

- Secure file sharing, email, and collaboration

HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT is also known as GoAnywhere MFT, GoAnywhere Managed File Transfer, Globalscape GlobalSCAPE Managed File Transfer, Globalscape WAFS.

HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT Buyer's Guide

Download the HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT Customers

Charter Communications

HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT pricing:
  • "The cost of GoAnywhere versus the value it brings to our data transfer operations is reasonable... The cost is relatively expensive but, back to the car analogy, that's to be expected with a Ferrari."
  • "I get the invoices, and its price is fine and appropriate. It is well priced. Even if it was double the price, we'd use it. For us, it is indispensable. We're not going to go anywhere else. There are no additional costs. Its licensing is good. There is just one charge that we get. That's it."
  • "For what we pay to GoAnywhere every year, we are getting a fantastic deal. From a dollar perspective, it provides very good value."
  • "Licensing can be expensive and it depends upon which features you want to buy."
  • "Pricing is based on a one-time license."
  • "It would be good for the company to explore a modular approach to selling the product so it could be cheaper and more attractive to users."

HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT Reviews

Jay Triche
Senior Developer/Analyst at Lamps Plus
Simplifies the movement of data to and from our IBM i system, saving us time and increasing productivity

• "When users say, 'I'm building spreadsheets that I would like to be uploaded on a regular basis into the IBM i,' we are able to accommodate that request within a matter of hours rather than the days it would take to create programs to do that. That is very useful. It has eliminated several dozens of scripts for us."
  • "There is a function referred to as write CSV, to write a general text file. In this scenario of creating a simple text file, I ran into a situation where, if the product saw a quote or a double-quote in the data, it started wrapping all the text fields in double-quotes. The request I put in asks them to provide a feature that leaves my data alone and does not interpret anything."

What is our primary use case?

Our business is, as far as corporate computing goes, is IBM i-centric. Because of that, some of the main use cases for the GoAnywhere product are for uploading data into the IBM i, from our finance department and other departments, and downloading data from the IBM i to a user or to our FTP server to be sent to a business partner. And when it comes to downloading data for users, it's typically in the form of Excel reports.

At this point, we are only accessing resources within our organization. We don't reach outside of our organization, even though the solution enables interaction with many things, such as Amazon and Google. The exceptions to that are one or two processes that do reach out to a business partner by way of SFTP.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the things GoAnywhere can do for us that our previous product could not is error handling. If something doesn't work properly, we can be alerted to that fact and act on it more quickly, versus the old product.

The workflow features eliminate the need for custom programs and scripts for file transfers. They simplify activities surrounding the movement of data. There is a concept within IBM i of normal tables and an aspect referred to as the integrated file system or IFS. Our older processes would typically create data in a table and run special commands that might make it troublesome to copy that data from the table to the IFS. From there, the old product would grab it from the IFS and send it to some other server. Now, we can eliminate that step of having to bother with the IFS, since GoAnywhere can reach directly into our tables. It's one more aspect of this product that helps simplify these sorts of tasks. When users say, "I'm building spreadsheets that I would like to be uploaded on a regular basis into the IBM i," we are able to accommodate that request within a matter of hours rather than the days it would take to create programs to do that. That is very useful. It has eliminated several dozens of scripts for us.

And when it comes to file uploads into the IBM i, this is only a guess, but it has saved us on the order of five hours per week.

We're able to craft solutions to little challenges faster, and that makes us more productive. One of the GoAnywhere projects that I was just helping a person with yesterday was updating an old program that produces a report for a user. I helped her create an SQL view and then make use of that view with GoAnywhere, which now emails a simple spreadsheet to the user. She was able to accomplish that in a fraction of the time it would have taken to modify the original program.

Additionally, the workflow features have helped to eliminate manual processes. One example is an upload process that is being done regularly by the payroll department. It typically involved a little more manual activity on the part of our payroll user to get us the data. Whereas now, with GoAnywhere, we are able to create something using what GoAnywhere calls a Secure Form. It enables us to present a very quick, very rudimentary webpage to the user where they do a few clicks and the file is provided to us. That is in contrast to their having to take the file from their desktop, find the network share that they're supposed to copy it to, followed by calling us to say they've copied it over there. It makes it easier for users to do things on their own, once we've created that ability for them.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the ability to reach into our database tables on the IBM i, and other platforms, and extract data. That is most useful for us.

It's also easy to use. I was training somebody yesterday on some of the finer points of GoAnywhere, and she found it very easy to interact with and understand. We like the interface.

The workflow features are very comprehensive, from our point of view. GoAnywhere uses the term "project" for a job that we create within it. The projects can be run from our IBM i CL [command language] programs. They can be scheduled within the GoAnywhere Scheduler to run once an hour or whenever we need them to run. A process can also be triggered by a file showing up. It is robust in terms of how the GoAnywhere projects can be invoked.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't need much improvement, other than tiny idiosyncrasies. I've run into one or two things for which I've put in change requests to the software developers at GoAnywhere, but they are very minor things, the types of things that don't come up much. We've created in the neighborhood of 80 to 90 projects in GoAnywhere and, out of all of those, there have only been a couple where we've run into something and that made us say, "I wish they could improve this little thing here."

For example, when it comes to interacting with files, there is a function referred to as write CSV, to write a general text file. In this scenario of creating a simple text file, I ran into a situation where, if the product saw a quote or a double-quote in the data, it started wrapping all the text fields in double-quotes. The request I put in asks them to provide a feature that leaves my data alone and does not interpret anything. If I don't want double quotes, please don't put them in. It should have the option, on certain write CSV operations, of not inferring anything.

We have been using HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT for about a year.

It seems pretty stable. Like other Windows platform solutions, every once in a while the Windows platform needs to be rebooted, but otherwise it has been very stable.

Scalability has been a non-issue for us. It seems like we could double or triple the number of projects we've got, which might happen over the next five or 10 years. We do not expect any issues with the scalability.

We don't have any plans, per se, to increase our usage of GoAnywhere, but something that we haven't talked about is another product we have that is going to have some competition from GoAnywhere. This other product, which I believe is owned by HelpSystems as well, is a reporting tool called Sequel Viewpoint. I've used it in a similar fashion to the way we use GoAnywhere: A user needs a report and I create an SQL view, go into Sequel Viewpoint, make use of that view and output a PDF or Excel document, and email it to the user. Doing the same thing in GoAnywhere is easier.

It's not so much that there are any specific plans for increased usage, but those types of tasks just come up from time to time. When a user in our finance, buyers, or our supply chain and planning department needs some data from our system, we have a solution for them very quickly using GoAnywhere to produce a simple Excel report.

The technical support has been fine. It has been useful each time we've reached out to them, unless we find a little bug, like the one I mentioned where the product had decided on its own to put double quotes around all of the text fields. Short of little idiosyncrasies like that, they've been able to solve problems for us.

We migrated off of a very rudimentary product that was little more than a file moving product. It was "garage software," meaning it was made by a very small organization. It was called Second Copy. It could move or copy a file from one server to another within the same file system, but it was very basic. There was no error handling, no ability to deal with FTP and IBM i, HTTP,  databases, Amazon, and Azure. All those capabilities were nonexistent in Second Copy. GoAnywhere is like a Ferrari versus a Volkswagen Beetle. Our old product was a single-function tool, and GoAnywhere helped us to eliminate it.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward except for one feature, which was an integration to the IBM i. As luck would have it, we've never actually ended up using that feature. It's what is called setting up an agent on the IBM i, and that took a bit of work with one of their tech support people. That allows for a little tighter integration with the IBM i when the product has been installed off of the IBM i. In our case, we installed the product on a Windows Server, as opposed to the IBM i itself. We figured that if we make use of the agent, it might give us a little better integration. Now, eight or nine months later, we've never made use of that IBM i agent. What made adding that agent complex was due to the nuance. The instructions were not clear enough and I was not able to do it by following instructions in the manual.

Not counting that agent, we had GoAnywhere up and running on the same day that we started installing it. The agent was just an add-on, and that dragged on for a few more days with interaction back and forth with their tech support.

We were replacing an existing product. Our implementation strategy was a matter of setting up GoAnywhere and doing a couple of pilot projects to see how easy it was and how it worked. We then started the process of converting 70 or 80 tasks out of the old product, slowly but surely, into the new product. That was doled out to half a dozen developers who looked at the existing tasks and implemented something similar, and/or better, in GoAnywhere.

Our user community for GoAnywhere is relatively small at the moment. We are a medium-size retail business. Our corporate headcount would be somewhere between 400 and 500 people, and the total headcount within the company is 1,100 to 1,200 people, including stores and warehouses. Out of all of them, there are just a handful of departments that we interact with a lot. Our finance and our planning/supply chain departments are two of our major users among our user community of about a dozen users.

As for maintenance of GoAnywhere, our IT department has three groups: web development, back office development, and technical support. This product can be used by, and of value to, all three IT groups. It is almost exclusively used by just the back office department, which I'm part of. Our focus is the IBM i, versus our customer-facing web pages which are handled by our web development folks. In our back office group, we've got about 20 developers and any one of them can do a project in GoAnywhere. We don't have anybody dedicated to maintaining the product. As a task comes up, somebody gets assigned to do it and takes care of it.

We didn't use a third-party. It was a straightforward install for the most part.

The cost of GoAnywhere versus the value it brings to our data transfer operations is reasonable. When I compare it to what we were using, that product called Second Copy, and how robust it is and how productive we can be with it, the cost is commensurate. The cost is relatively expensive but, back to the car analogy, that's to be expected with a Ferrari.

They provided a variety of options for pricing. "If you want just this basic feature, here's the price. Or you can have this add-on and that add-on." That variety of add-ons is useful because we are not using it to its fullest capabilities. Some of those other capabilities are licensed extra options.

One of the extra add-ons that came to our attention that we ended up purchasing, and that has provided value and will continue to provide value, is the Secure Forms. We use them to very quickly provide a web page interface for a user to make file transfers easier for them. It's also very useful when there's a report that they need but we need some input from them to produce it, like the date range of the data they want to see, or the particular stores they want a report for. Secure Forms are an extra cost and we went for that extra cost months after buying the initial product. We started with not much in the way of extras, and then added onto the product.

Hans Bar
Software Analyst II at City of Modesto
The workflow features eliminates the need for custom programs and scripts for file transfer

• "It enabled us to allocate staff toward other work. All the time that we would have wasted worrying about this stuff and correcting problems is put into other parts of our job. That's one of the best things about it, is that we don't waste time on these projects. We just don't have to worry about them because it lets us know if there's a problem."
  • "There's not a lot of improvement I can think of. Maybe in the tools section, they have an SQL Wizard and a URL Wizard, which are really good. I think that the SQL Wizard might need some improvement. I don't know how to improve it, but it's just a little slow here and there."

What is our primary use case?

Here at the police department, we do a lot of file moving between systems. We have a citation system and we need that data moved over to an RMS (Reports Management System). Those systems don't communicate with each other. So we use it to pick up those files, move them over to that system, and then consume those files and data. We do a lot of that stuff. We also do exports to SFTP sites and automatic emails with warnings of server maintenance.

We do mostly automatic reports but also some manual reports. These can be daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly.  We use GoAnywhere to complete manual processes- like things that we don't need to do very often. We'll go in and just click a button and it runs a bunch of things that we normally would have to do manually. It speeds up the process quite a bit. The great thing about it is that we have a central station to manage basically all of our tasks. Instead of running task schedulers on every server, we can just go here and know exactly what's running where. It's much easier to manage.

How has it helped my organization?

It enabled us to allocate staff toward other work. All the time that we would have wasted working on this stuff and correcting problems is put into other parts of our job. That's one of the best things about it, is that we don't waste time on these projects. We just don't have to worry about them because we set up the project to let us know if there's a problem.

It actually helps with customer service because we don't have to wait and find out from a customer when something goes wrong. We know right away and we can fix it before they even know what happened.

GoAnywhere also enabled us to acquire or disseminate more data and documents. It saves at least ten hours per month because we can more easily figure out any issues happening by reviewing the logs.

What is most valuable?

The fact that we can easily move files and email the pertinent people about it to tell details about those files is valuable to us. They can see what happened during that process and also catch errors. If there's an error, it'll let us know and we can go in and fix it instead of waiting two days and finding out that something didn't happen.

The intuitiveness of the GoAnywhere user interface is really good. It takes a little time to learn just like anything, but once you learn how to use it, it's very simple.

I've never seen anything like the comprehensiveness of GoAnywhere's workflow features.

The workflow features eliminate the need for custom programs and scripts for file transfer. That's the main thing I use it for.

It's very important because the custom programs get too complicated and they're kept in random areas, so this is like a central area that you can manage complex programs. But they're easier to create also, so I think just managing those systems and being able to do something that you might not be able to do outside of the system is great.

I have been able to eliminate at least 20 to 30 custom programs and scripts by centralizing everything in GoAnywhere.

GoAnywhere's workflow features have helped us to eliminate manual processes. It's made operations more efficient and more managed.

The automation of file transfers helped to reduce the workload in my current company. All of our transfers are automatic and we're notified about them. It eliminates a lot of wasted time because I'll know if something went wrong. Sometimes the SFTP sites are down and I'll know right away and then we can try it again or have an automatic process to know that something went wrong and it'll try it again later, so I'd have to sit around and waste time trying to re-transfer or not knowing that something, maybe something didn't work. It saves us around three hours a week.

What needs improvement?

There's not a lot of improvement I can think of. Maybe in the tools section, there is a SQL Wizard which works really well. I think that the SQL Wizard could use some improvement- it's little slow when moving from page to page.

I've been using GoAnywhere between two different areas of CMSO for about five years.

The stability is really good. The service stopped few years ago but we were able to get it up and running quickly- we upgraded the version and haven't had it shutdown since.

The scalability is really good. It can go across almost any platform that I know of. It can be installed in different systems, which many programs will not work on IBMs and on Windows systems. So it can be moved and work between systems.

In terms of users, there are hundreds that are influenced by the solution including records, clerks, record supervisors, police officers, all of our IT people- as well as different organizations, such as the DOJ and court systems.

Two of us on the IT team are 100% responsible for the maintenance.

We've used things built into the systems like in Windows Task Scheduler and things like that. The workflow is similar, but you just can't do as much. Or if you try to do as much, it gets really complicated. At that point, when it gets that complicated, things break, not everybody can follow it. If you make a complex Task Scheduler with PowerShell Scripts, someone coming in off the street is not going to be able to figure it out very easily.

Our ROI is definitely positive.

I think the pricing is fair.

It's not too expensive. You pay for extras and you pay separately for separate products. We're not any other GoAnywhere products, so we don't have to pay for it. It's not too expensive for us.

The cost of GoAnywhere compared with the value it brings to our data transfer operations is more than fair.

What other advice do I have?

I believe GoAnywhere connects to almost any type of server.  I move many things through SFTP and I think it pretty much connects to any kind of system you're looking for. It'll connect to cloud systems as well.

My advice would be to look and see what it can do and then look at how it could improve your processes. I think you'll notice that you'll end up saving money by purchasing the product and saving a headache here and there.

I would rate GoAnywhere a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FR
System Administration at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Meets all our needs, stays up and running, and gives us the confidence that the data is going to be securely transferred

• "If I have a job that I need to run on the system and I want the data transferred, I can use GoAnywhere and schedule it on a daily basis, a weekly basis, or whatever, and it does the job for me to transfer the files over to the other systems, or back and forth."
  • "The process of adding a vendor is very easy. You just point and click. You create your job, schedule, and project, and off you go. You just need to know what the processes do when you add in a new job that runs daily and so on. For us, it is not a problem, but maybe the documentation on that could be a little more straightforward. We, however, have no problems figuring that out. It is pretty straightforward for us."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is basically to push data, SFTP, and FTP to other vendors offsite. So, it is all secured. We like it because of the security features in it.

In terms of deployment, it is a local standalone system.

How has it helped my organization?

It centralized the exchange of data between systems, employees, customers, and trading partners. It is important to us because it is all secured and encrypted. It is a very well-known product for this type of thing, and we have confidence that the data is going to be securely transferred to the other site. Because we deal with finances and stuff like that, we have to make sure it is secure.

It eliminates the need for custom programs and scripts for file transfers, but we do have some scripts. For the most part, it meets what we need to do, and we don't have to interfere with any scripting or anything like that. A lot of it is basically pointing, clicking, and putting in your information, and off you go.

Its workflow features helped us to eliminate manual processes. We do the same thing every day. We have things set up in the schedulers, and it automatically does them. If there are any issues, we get a report and look into it to see what was the issue. Usually, it is because the line is disconnected, the other system is down, or we have a problem with our network.

The automation of file transfers has helped us to reduce workload in our organization. We've all been using it, so for us, the reduction has always been there, and it has always been the same. If we had to do it manually, it would take a lot longer.

What is most valuable?

It stays up and running. If there is an error with a job, it provides us reports. It is easy to understand.

It is very comprehensive in terms of workflow features. It gives us a lot of options and is also easy to implement. It meets all our needs. We've always been using it, so all we know is GoAnywhere. For the AS/400 system, GoAnywhere is perfect.

What needs improvement?

In terms of features, it is perfect for the way we use it. They just need to keep up with the security stuff, and that's about it. They should make sure that GoAnywhere or HelpSystems stays on top of security, and they're dealing with all the necessary issues that come up on a daily basis on the internet with the security. Other than that, all our needs are being met. The way it is right now, it is perfect for us. We have no other needs for it. We're definitely not asking HelpSystems for any improvements. So, we're fine and satisfied with it.

It has been here well before my time. It has been more than 10 years.

Its stability is perfect and excellent. It doesn't go down. I don't think we've made any calls for support on this product all year. So, it is perfect for us.

It doesn't matter. For our purposes, it is just fine the way it is. We've got nowhere to scale it to or scale it down.

In terms of the number of users, I'm the administrator, and all we do is run jobs. There are basically maybe 40 vendors that we SFTP or FTP to and that's it, but individuals don't use it. We added another vendor just the other day, and the process of adding a vendor is very easy for us. So, as new vendors come on board, its usage increases, but there is a very slow addition to this. It is just not a super-growing area for us.

Their support is great. They've always been there whenever we had any issues. They always provided a prompt courier service. They were very professional and patient, and there were no issues. I would rate them a 10 out of 10.

All of us here have always worked with GoAnywhere, and it has worked well. We haven't had the need to go out and source another solution. So, we just leave it.

Usually, on other systems I have worked with, I do things myself with just FTP scripts and stuff like that, but on this system, we have to have something like this. It has got to be controlled because of the sensitivity of the data. So, I haven't had any other product knowledge. It has been working fine, so we just leave it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I joined this company after the implementation of this solution.

For the money we make using this, it is well priced. Without it, we would be in trouble. If something broke and we couldn't get that data through, we're going to be losing a lot of money. So, I guess the return on investment is always great because the data is getting out. It is not that we make money per data that we send out. It is just that the data that goes out is very critical to the revenue stream.

I get the invoices, and its price is fine and appropriate. It is well priced. Even if it was double the price, we'd use it. For us, it is indispensable. We're not going to go anywhere else.

There are no additional costs. Its licensing is good. There is just one charge that we get. That's it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for it. It is a great product. If there are any issues, the support is there, and they're very helpful and right on the case.

I would rate HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT a 10 out of 10.

JB
Managed File transfer (MFT) Administrator at a non-profit with 5,001-10,000 employees
Centralizes file transfer management, saves us time, good reporting, and helps secure our data

• "The SFTP and encryption functionality works well, and SFTP is the bulk of what we use."
  • "The security and vendor management features are helpful in terms of providing access to data."
  • "The support desk has room for improvement. I keep opening tickets and they keep telling me that they're closed, but they're not resolved."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry and we use GoAnywhere for file transfers in our finance, HR, clinical and logistical processes

How has it helped my organization?

GoAnywhere has helped improve our organization through the centralization of file transfer management, as well as standards enforcement. The error reporting and file auditing capabilities make troubleshooting problems and issues a fairly straightforward process.

GoAnywhere is the perfect tool to help centralize the exchange of data between systems, employees, customers, and trading partners. This is of critical importance to us because in previous implementations, where we've had trouble connecting with our partners and vendors and such, from a troubleshooting perspective it could take a day to solve an issue, but using the GoAnywhere tools & capabilities, we can address  most issues in minutes, instead of hours.

The user interface is intuitive, although someone who's not familiar with coding may have a little bit more of a challenge with it. I have a background in programming and infrastructure, and I found that it was logical & well designed.

The comprehensiveness of GoAnywhere's workflow features is fantastic.

The workflow features almost completely eliminate the need for custom programs and scripts for file transfers. I would estimate that we have cut out custom scripts by about 95%. For the remaining 5%, we use the OS integration feature to allow us to interface with a given system and run OS native commands/scripts/operations from within GoAnywhere.

The elimination of custom scripts for every transfer was an important and valuable step for the organization from an operations, maintenance & support perspective.  We can build out a Managed File Transfer process in GoAnywhere with none of the hassles and headaches associated with scripts in an hour vs. custom scripting processes that would take significantly longer to develop and deploy.  we are doing the same work that existed prior to implementing GoAnywhere, but now the processes are faster, simpler, more supportable and secure.  With GoAnywhere, we are able to service our customers much faster and in a much more dependable, consistent and reliable manner.

The automation of file transfers has helped to reduce our workload for file transfers, freeing us up to focus more on the business requirements. For example, in the past, my customers would come to me with, "Hey. I can't find my files, they haven't been downloaded today."  With GoAnywhere we are able to give them a notification via email processes we build into our GoAnywhere jobs, allowing them to see the status of their respective file transfers.

Within the specific context of an organization-wide project, we managed to accomplish MFT request turnaround in a few days where previously, it may day weeks with our previous toolset.

What is most valuable?

I find the entire solution to be useful for what I do.

Specifically, the encryption & certificate functions, the ability to reuse a defined resource (SFTP server/Network share, e.g.) across multiple transfers and the granularity of the audit logs functionality is a solid tool for troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

Customer service is an area in need of improvement.

We have been using HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT since the spring of 2018.

Since we implemented GoAnywhere in the spring of 2018, there has been one bug that has caused us any issues. It was readily addressed by contacting the help desk.

Overall, stability has been rock solid.

I transfer tens of thousands of files per week and scalability is not a problem. I honestly think I would have difficulty scaling GoAnywhere to a point where a point where I would be concerned.

The users we have are GoAnywhere admins and they build managed file transfers. There aren't any functionalities that our customer community has access to.

At this point, more than 70% of our Managed File Transfer processes are utilizing GoAnywhere. The goal, although it may never be fully attained, is to get the rest of those outliers doing file transfers through the secure and dependable enterprise-grade system that is GoAnywhere.

In 2018, 2019, I would have rated the support a ten out of ten. As previously expressed, I would now give them a four.

How would you rate customer service and technical support?

Neutral

Prior to GoAnywhere, we used native operating system shell scripts and, worse, daily human processes.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Their installation methodologies and their architectural configuration are pretty much laid out for you in their marketing documentation. From an implementation perspective, everything is there for you.

The installation took a couple of hours but from that point, it took probably two weeks before it was in functional production.   The strength of GoAnywhere is in the vary rich toolset.  Unfortunately, that also means that there can be a learning curve as one starts to implement it into Production.

I was the implementer of this product and I didn't require the help of a third party. Any issues or concerns I had during the implementation phase were readily addressed by the vendors (then) support staff.  At the time, they were very good at answering quickly and responding to the implementation issues that I encountered.  At the present time, I would suspect that the support is not to the level it was when we implemented GoAnywhere in 2018.

For the first three years, our GoANywhere implementation was really a one-man band in terms of managing the system, including implementing functionality.  As we have grown i to the systm a second administrator has beendrafted into the MFT Team.

We reviewed three other products prior to implementing GoAnywhere. One that I recall is MOVEit, which was an Ipswitch product at the time.

The user interface that MOVEit had was abysmal. In contrast, the user interface that GoAnywhere has is intuitive and although it obviously depends on each individual user, overall, it's great. The ability to employ the functions and build out what needs to be built out is not a difficult process. It can be complex in some instances, but it's not difficult.

What other advice do I have?

We are not running the latest version; however, it is only because we are too busy with other things at the moment.

For me, this solution is fantastic. I'm able to solve a lot of problems for my organization by using the whole collection of features in GoAnywhere.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

PP
Data Backup and Recovery Admin at Albert Einstein Healthcare Network
Easy to use, saves us time, has built-in compression and encryption, and the technical support is good

• "The most valuable feature is the Advanced Workflows."
  • "If the hostname has a dash in it then it does not work."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is file transfer between trading partners and internally to different applications on Windows, Linux, AIX, and iSeries machines.

We are running on Windows.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, scripts were written in Windows batch files and it was taking lots of time. With GoAnywhere, it is simpler and has more functionality.

The scripts can be written very quickly. With GoAnywhere advanced workflow, I was able to expand the scripting to include more features like emailing the log. I was able to send emails to the business unit that included what file was transferred and at what time.

Our old system used to take five minutes to transfer over 10MB of data. With GoAnywhere, it takes a few seconds. Now I can perform and schedule more FTPs than before and it takes fewer system resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Advanced Workflows. It is useful for an open VMS system. With DOS-style batch files, it was long and difficult. With GoAnywhere, however, it was very easy.

With the Advanced Workflows, I can manipulate the date and send the file with an old date to the host. This is a great feature.

It has built-in zip compression as well as encryption features and we do not have to buy additional licenses for this functionality.

I also like the IP Filter list. It can protect the system from outside attacks using Banned IP addresses. It has very good security features.

With Web users, I can use the IP filter. It can be done with each user.

GoAnywhere integrates well with other products.

It sends an email alert if the process fails.

What needs improvement?

I think that this product has most of the features we require, although the license is expensive.

DNS support needs attention. If the hostname has a dash in it then it does not work. Without a dash being included, it works fine. This is something that needs to updated in the next release.

The shared mailbox support for OWA in the cloud needs to be improved. The shared mailbox does not have a password, and we cannot use it. If there is a password for it then it works well.

if you have host name with example aaa-fgju than in web user ip filter list the name aaa-fgju will not work. If you have host name fghhg1 then it will work. The agent is good feature but license is bit expensive.

I have been using GoAnywhere MFT for more than six years.

It is very stable. We never experience downtime, exept during upgrades.

Scalability is very good. I saw only this level with high availability solutions.

Technical support is excellent. They are always willing to help and want to resolve the issue ASAP.

Prior to GoAnywhere, we used FTP Serv-U and FTP Voyager. FTP Voyager is a free product but the functionality is very limited. It was not able to meet our business requirements. As technology changes, FTP Voyager does not have good features for new technology.

It also has high CPU utilization because it was written for workstation OS. The interface for FTP Voyager was simple but very functionality-wise, it was too basic. There were lots of restrictions while using it.

Everything was written manually. Lots of the time, we were not able to justify business needs with FTP Voyager. We needed a product that serves our business needs and found that GoAnywhere was the perfect one for us.

The initial setup was simple. It took only one hour to set up the product.

The product was implemented in-house.

It saves lots of time in terms of administration. With is product, I can perform other duties and it requires less intervention on a daily basis.

Licensing can be expensive and it depends upon which features you want to buy. If the license were cheaper then we would buy more features.

I have used other vendors and found that GoAnywhere was the winner in terms of price and our business requirements. In our case, it meets all of the business requirements.

What other advice do I have?

This suitability of this product depends on business requirements.

For anybody who is implementing this product, I would suggest taking some time to learn Advanced Workflows because it is complex.

OB
Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Allows us to connect internal applications and external web services and has good speed, security, and stability

• "Its speed is the most valuable because every integration used to take months with old SOA tools, integration buses, and that type of stuff. Now, we do integrations in a matter of days. Security is another valuable thing because every step in the workflow has an audit trace, which is great. This also brings a lot of confidence in automating business process workflows through this type of solution."
  • "Its user interface can be improved. The current user interface is a little basic for some of the use cases. We have to use an external component to enhance it. When we need a more appealing user interface, we use an additional component, and that works okay."

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner of HelpSystems. They have a branch office in Argentina for all Latin American countries, and we work with them.

We use this solution to connect internet applications that traditionally are isolated. Instead of trying to build very costly interfaces or things like that, we send information from one app to the other app in the easiest but the most secure way possible. We just use MFT, and it does the work for us, but recently, we are being asked to connect not just internal applications but also external web services for government or other regulatory companies. With this type of solution, we are able to integrate not just the internal apps but also the external services. This is pretty much what we do with this solution.

What is most valuable?

Its speed is the most valuable because every integration used to take months with old SOA tools, integration buses, and that type of stuff. Now, we do integrations in a matter of days.

Security is another valuable thing because every step in the workflow has an audit trace, which is great. This also brings a lot of confidence in automating business process workflows through this type of solution.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface can be improved. The current user interface is a little basic for some of the use cases. We have to use an external component to enhance it. When we need a more appealing user interface, we use an additional component, and that works okay.

I have been using this solution for around four years.

Its stability is very high because it is installed in a cluster. When used this way, it is pretty stable. It uses a lot of cluster implementation, and the business processes start to be very critical.

Scalability is associated with the hardware. This solution is based on Java technology, so it is able to scale both vertically and horizontally. It has good scalability.

At this time, we've got two nodes. If we need more, we can add more components. We are not a very big company. So, at this time, it is not an issue for us. If we grow or have more integrations, we would need the scalability there, and I am not afraid of that.

This tool is used to automate processes. It doesn't handle end users. We are automating about 10 to 20 business processes that affect different kinds of users. About 100 to 150 users get to benefit from those automations. They are not necessarily direct users of this solution.

We receive direct support from HelpSystems. Their support is good. I would rate them a nine out of ten. A few cases were handled by the regional team. For a few cases, we received support from their first-level team.

The initial setup was easy. The provider has a lot of knowledge, which made it easy. The deployment is an ongoing process. The initial installation took about one month or so, and the training and being skilled took maybe one or two months more. Since then, the need for automation and newer workflows is there all the time.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution, but of course, you need to have the knowledge to be able to automate very quickly.

I would rate HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT a nine out of ten.

HE
IT consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
This is a feature-packed solution that is highly recommended

• "This is a very good product for managing file transfers."
  • "The product could be improved by being modular. There are more features in the core product than any client needs."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for GoAnywhere MFT (Managed File Transfer) is to provide control for file transfers.

What needs improvement?

Until now, I think the solution very good for me and my clients. If I had to name one thing that I think should be improved, I think it is that there are quite a lot of features and we do not use all of them. So a thing that could be done to improve this situation is maybe for HelpSystems to offer a lite version that also costs a bit less.

It has only been a couple of weeks now that we have rolled out the product in our company. We did the product selection a few months ago and then we started on a test license. I would guess we have been using it as a company for about four weeks.

From our experience up until now, I think the product is both stable and scalable.

We currently have somewhere between a minimum of five and a maximum of ten users. We may be expanding that in the future, but not in the coming year or so. We do plan to continue to use the product.

For the most part, we have been in a test evaluation phase and we have not needed to use the technical support until now.

This is actually the first product of this type that I am using.

I think that GoAnywhere is moderately complex as far as the initial setup. It is quite manageable for our experienced IT employees. We deploy it just by using people who are in our software development team. There is a consultant assigned to our team who could help us if we wanted to use their services, but until now it has gone quite well and we have not had to engage that level of support. We can ask for support if we want it. We just have not had to up until now.

The cost of the product is a one-time licensing.

I think it is a bit cheaper than Axway MFT (part of the AMPLIFY platform), but not by much. It could be cheaper if a few of the features that we are not using — and that most of our customers do not use — could be left out.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product for other users who wants to start using it, and we do recommend it all the time.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as an eight-out-of-ten. To improve it in order to rate it higher, it would have to be cheaper. To accomplish that HelpSystems could consider reorganizing the product in a more modular way. In that way, we could just make the solution fit to particular needs and pay for what is used. For most situations, we just need a few small modules instead of the entire solution in one big chunk.

Microsoft Azure
reviewer1328352
System Administrator II at Serco
Consolidates homegrown processes to one location in a way that is workflow based

• "The use of this product has helped improve our organization and its ability to send or receive. It has done this by allowing us to remove any homegrown process and centralize needed actions."
  • "Improvement in support or product relies on being ingenious, supportive, and listening to its customer base."

What is our primary use case?

This is used in a virtual environment where a number of customers establish a requirement to send or receive files. The files are sent using SFTP and Zip with projects providing details to customers on when and what was sent. We send these files internally or externally. Other things the solution is used for is cleaning up data from sent or received files for projects and customers. The environment consists of Windows and Linux systems to which each customer presents the data to send or import.

How has it helped my organization?

The use of this product has helped improve our organization and its ability to send or receive. It has done this by allowing us to remove any homegrown process and centralize needed actions. It has helped consolidate these areas of action or homegrown processes to one location in a way that is workflow based. This workflow and central location of the process allows us to hinge at one area to understand where or what any issue or concern may be. Doing this can help or allow us to find areas to be resolved, if needed, or establish new ways of providing a product.

What is most valuable?

I have found that the workflow process has a easy to use or viewable section which is key to this product. You have the ability to create the steps in a viewable, actionable area. Review these steps and set them up in an order that makes sense to the process you need. Along with this ease of viewing and ability to move things around you can validate those actions by placing them in a debug state. Here you can view and find your issues or concerns as the workflow and view are an asset for this product and valuable.

What needs improvement?

In using this product, I have not found many areas of the product or service that need to be completely improved. However, with any product, improvement of a service or product can always be reviewed. If one were to look to improve it:

1. Continue to look forward and listen to its customers.
  2. Improvement in support or product relies on being ingenious, supportive, and listening to its customer base.

I have been using this solution for over a year.

The organization has ways to listen to its customers and providing that feedback is working as the company listens and provides support as applicable.

Yes, I used a homegrown software.

Product Categories
Managed File Transfer (MFT)
Download our free HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.