Hillstone E-Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Hillstone E-Series?

Hillstone E-Series next generation firewalls provide visibility and control of web applications regardless of port, protocol, or evasive action. It can identify and prevent potential threats associated with high-risk applications while providing policy-based control over applications, users, and user-groups. Policies can be defined that guarantee bandwidth to mission-critical applications while restricting or blocking inappropriate or malicious applications. Hillstone E-Series firewalls incorporate comprehensive network security and advanced firewall features. They provide superior price performance, excellent energy efficiency, and a smaller size when compared to competing products.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Hillstone E-Series Customers

Bank of China Macao, Instituto Tecnológico Bolivariano, Ministry of Labor in San Salvador, FEDCO

Hillstone E-Series Video

Archived Hillstone E-Series Reviews (more than two years old)

Maroun Abboud
Data Department Manager at BTC Networks
A solution with a straightforward implementation, excellent technical support and good scalability

• "The initial setup was straightforward. It only took a few hours to deploy."
  • "The solution doesn't have a web proxy built into the system like Sophos. This is something they should work to change."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall to protect the local network.

What is most valuable?

The solution, in general, is great. There isn't one feature that stands out; holistically it's a very good solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't have a web proxy built into the system like Sophos. This is something they should work to change.

Sophos also has a scanner that's on the interface itself. This solution would be improved if it added this functionality to it as well.

I've been using the solution for three years.

Overall, the solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. It's very simple and straightforward. We have about 10,000 users on it currently.

The technical support is very good. I would rate them nine out of ten.

The initial setup was straightforward. It only took a few hours to deploy.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

We use the E-2000, 3000 and 5000 series versions of the solution. We use the public cloud deployment model.

If an organization is not looking for a web proxy, it's a very, very good product. It's stable. It's simple, and the support is great.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Walter Shelver
Owner at CableWeb
Secure connectivity and active directory integration simplifies remote working

• "Working with the Hillstone E-Series has, from a remote perspective, allowed me to give my clients a secure connectivity."
  • "I am not sure if this solution offers active directory integration. Adding that feature will definitely be an advantage."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is general remote working and VPN setup. We're not using the VPN tunnels for any service, so it is just purely and utterly for remote working.

How has it helped my organization?

Working with the Hillstone E-Series has, from a remote perspective, allowed me to give my clients secure connectivity from a remote location to their offices or their servers. It’s a security system that has helped quite a bit.

What is most valuable?

The Hillstone E-Series currently offers everything I need.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if this solution offers active directory integration. Adding that feature will definitely be an advantage. Adding support to the interface will also help. If they can have reporting built into the solution, one can actually integrate into a call-center system.

I've been using the Hillstone E-Series for around five months now.

This solution is very stable and I've had no issues with it.

I haven't looked at the scalability of this solution because I've only used it for one function. I will soon be looking at the other features it offers but I believe the Hillstone E-Series will allow me a lot of different changes that I can make to the solution. I do plan to increase my usage. It looks very scalable. I'm fairly sure it will allow me quite a lot of different changes that I can make to the solution. I plan to increase usage. We've been implementing the system and so forth, and I've not really compared it price-wise to anything else out there.

The technical support was fairly straightforward.

The initial setup of this solution was very straightforward and I didn't experience any problems. It took me about 20 minutes to install and implement.

I installed it myself.

So far we've only been implementing the system and I haven't really compared this solution to other options out there. We have used many different VPNs before. There are many free VPN solutions available as well as paid-for VPN solutions. Price-wise it will probably compete in the middle range to entry-level range. There is justification on what a product can do, as long as the product stays stable, people don't mind actually paying for the product.

I did evaluate other options but in the end, the Hillstone E-Series offered what I was looking for.

What other advice do I have?

Adding better integration to this solution will be beneficial. I will rate this solution a seven or eight out of ten.