HipChat [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is HipChat [EOL]?

HipChat is a service that provides companies with a chat and text-messaging platform that they can run internally. This keeps all correspondences private in general but public to the people who you choose to be a part of the conversation. Some of the more popular features of HipChat include a searchable history, which lets you browse through your chats to find relevant information, as well as image sharing capabilities (which is a simple, drag and drop process). HipChat supports a wide range of OS including Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS,desktop, and more.

HipChat can be used for one-on-one conversations or it can be opened up for group chats to include all team members. Chat rooms are flexible enough to allow the free flow of ideas and external data so that the entire team or even department can collaborate on the same project without missing a beat. At the same time, HipChat allows individuals to pick and choose whom they communicate with and one does not need to send all communications to all team members all the time, but can pick and choose who receives what and when.

Download the Enterprise Social Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

HipChat [EOL] Customers

Pinterest, Quora,Hewlett Packard, Hubspot, ParkWhiz, Artifakt, and others.

HipChat [EOL] Video

Archived HipChat [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user669342
Engineering Operations Lead at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
We like setting up automatic notifications to different chat rooms. It talks directly to other Atlasssian products.

What is most valuable?

The basic version is free to use. We also like setting up automatic notifications to different chat rooms. It is easy to set up new rooms and invite new users. Emoticons are fun and the mobile app is great too.

How has it helped my organization?

Our entire organization uses this as our default messaging app, not just our software engineering teams. It drastically helped improve our communication across departments once we got everyone on. Plus, we use it as our “Chat Ops”-type tool to monitor systems and software development applications.

What needs improvement?

Third-party integrations are continuing to grow, which is good, but sometimes the integration is rocky and not very usable. Being able to trigger Jenkins builds from within HipChat would be great for software developers and testers.

I have used it for over two years.

We use HipChat Plus (cloud based). Atlassian is the vendor. Version number unknown, but we’re always on the latest since we’re a cloud-based account.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

Support is very fast, helpful, and friendly.

We used multiple products, such as Skype, Spark, and HipChat as well. We dropped Skype and Spark because they had less features and we wanted to simplify our chat tool across the organization. Plus, we use other Atlassian products like BitBucket, JIRA, and Confluence which HipChat talks to directly.

Setup is straightforward. Go to the website, create an account (if your company is brand new to HipChat), get the token and integrate it with JIRA, as well, if you use that product. Administering users is easy, as well.

It’s fairly inexpensive to upgrade to HipChat Plus. If you need to store chat histories indefinitely and could use a video conferencing with screen share tool, then it’s worth the price.

We were using both HipChat and Skype and previously another IM tool called Spark. We dropped them both in favor of HipChat.

What other advice do I have?

Identify a couple of administrators in your company to manage the application and dig into its cool features. It’s extremely easy to use. You don’t need to be highly technical to be an admin on it either.

it_user660597
End User Support Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It is a communicator for partners and clients. It crashes pretty often on Windows.

What is most valuable?

It is a communicator for partners and clients. We use it internally.

How has it helped my organization?

We get quick responses amongst employees.

What needs improvement?

I would like HipChat to be more stable. It crashes pretty often on Windows OS.

Hipchat for windows sometimes acts weird basically. I’ve fixed many times this issue reinstalling the application for many users.

- Loading errors

- Keeps crashing and freezing

- Delay in response when you select new rooms or conversations

I’m using Mac for the last 2 months and I haven’t had any issue so far. It may be only windows.

I have used HipChat for four years.

We had stability problems with the system on Windows.

We did not have scalability problems.

I would give technical support a rating of 5/10.

HipChat was the first choice and we are keeping it.

The initial setup was pretty smooth because we were a startup company.

I am not sure about pricing and licensing. We pay per user. In our case, this is 250 users.

We didn't look at other systems. Right now, we are using Jabber as well.

What other advice do I have?

If it is a small or medium size company, then I recommend it.

Find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, Microsoft, IBM and others in Enterprise Social Software. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user654501
Atlassian Expert - Jira/Confluence Ninja at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Some of the valuable features include video calling and screen sharing.

What is most valuable?

• Unlimited group chat rooms
  • Group video chat
  • Screen sharing
  • Security
  • Persistent messaging
  • Seamless integration with other products

HipChat allows us to do video calling and screen sharing with up to twenty users, whereas its major competitor Slack, can only support eight participants.

For a company like us with offices in different locations, this is an invaluable feature, as it increases our team collaboration and efficiency.

How has it helped my organization?

We have distributed teams, as well as remote teams in our organization in different geographic locations. After HipChat was introduced, the team collaboration and coordination improved drastically.

HipChat helped us to get rid of never ending email chains. It's a fun tool with lot of emoticons and our teams enjoy using it.

Our users love using the HipChat mobile app. This has increased our team’s productivity. The product has a great UX across multiple platforms and is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Currently, one email ID is linked to one HipChat cloud group. As a user and an administrator who may manage multiple HipChat groups, this is restricting my work.

I have been using HipChat for around two years.

HipChat's a reliable product. Up to now, we have not faced any issues with the product’s stability other than a few bugs which were fixed in a timely manner.

We use HipChat extensively in our organization. I have also worked with multiple clients who use HipChat with user tiers ranging from 51-100 users to 5000+ users. Scalability was never an issue with any of these customers.

Atlassian has an impressive technical support team who has fixed our issues within the agreed SLA.

We have used Lync/Skype for Business previously and had constant issues with these products.

The initial setup was hassle free. It was pretty straightforward.

HipChat offers the most competitive pricing among the enterprise chat solutions in the market.

We have used Lync/Skype for Business and evaluated Slack before procuring HipChat licenses.

What other advice do I have?

If your organization is struggling with team collaboration and never ending email chains, HipChat is the perfect solution for your problems.

It’s a fun tool with great features like high quality video calling and the pricing is the most affordable among other products in the market.

Organizations using other Atlassian products like JIRA, Confluence, and Bitbucket should definitely consider giving it a try.

HipChat can further improve your team’s efficiency and productivity.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Atlassian Solution Partner.
it_user656292
Project Manager / Client Services Director at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Some of the valuable features are group chatting, upload and download of shared files, and team collaboration.

What is most valuable?

• Internal private and group chatting
  • Upload and download of shared files
  • Team collaboration

How has it helped my organization?

It allows our team to communicate easily and collaborate despite our geographic locations.

What needs improvement?

I don't know about any area that needs improvement.

The only thing, that I can think of, is to either integrate other apps/software or maybe, enable screen-sharing and video conference. However, I think that is more of an enhancement of the app, rather than an improvement.

I’ve been using HipChat for three years.

Occasionally, there were stability issues with uploads and downloads. I can’t be certain if it was the internet connection.

I don’t know of any scalability issues.

The initial setup was simple and the instructions are user-friendly.

We evaluated Microsoft Teams.

What other advice do I have?

I would strongly recommend this product.

it_user532518
Principal Build and Release Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
It has supplanted e-mail in my workflow. The search results are often poor and it is difficult to find "old" things.

What is most valuable?

Real time chat organized into channels with archival and search capabilities was a complete game changer for how I work. HipChat ended up supplanting e-mail in my workflow. With the addition of a custom Bot which interacted through the service using the API, it revolutionized how I provide my expertise to my colleagues.

How has it helped my organization?

The base product of the software as a real time communication tool really helped teams collaborate since we were geographically separated. It made it very easy to interact with remote teams. But the real value was achieved when we hooked up a Bot framework since this allowed all staff to self-serve a wide range of tasks which had originally required either myself of our Operations staff to manually handle tasks. This is the Bot framework we used: https://github.com/skoczen/will.

What needs improvement?

The search is terrible. They keep changing how it's integrated with the desktop client which is bad enough, but the results you get back are often poor and makes it very difficult to find "old" things. You might vaguely remember having a conversation with someone about something, but trying to locate that thread is very difficult.

I used the product many hours a day for almost three years.

We had some stability issues. We were actually evaluating a move from HipChat to Slack at my last job out of frustration related to repeated downtime with the service. Since we were managing so many things through HipChat in our effort to use a "ChatOps" footing for more of our work, when the service was down, it was extremely hard to function. This was happening for hours every other month and it was extremely frustrating. When I found out how cheap HipChat was compared to Slack, I was willing to let it go of this issue.

We had no issues with scalability. We never had more than about 200 users on our set up and things seemed to work well enough excluding the outages with the service, but those weren't related to our use.

Technical support was okay. I felt like it took a long time for issues to get resolved and they seemed to get resolved "invisibly". As an example, I reported an issue with how copy/paste of messages from inside the client broke and the problem eventually got fixed. I think it took two or three client releases so maybe a month or two. After the initial bug report, I never got an update that the fix would be appearing in the client. I just discovered that it was working again one day by accident.

I have used tools like IRC at previous jobs.

I wasn't involved in this aspect of our HipChat installation, but creating an account for our company was pretty straightforward.

It's pretty cheap especially when compared to Slack.

What other advice do I have?

It's cheap and it works most of the time. If you're looking at Slack and having sticker shock, HipChat is a perfectly serviceable alternative. If you are already using Atlassian's suite of products, there are all sorts of integrations. However, I was surprised at how poor some of these integrations were considering it's from the same company.

Now that I'm using a similar product (FlowDock), I look back FONDLY on HipChat's broken search. In FlowDock, there's no indexing of private conversations. Another area which annoyed me is notices about new messages to you. I don't know why, but it seems like none of these products (HipChat, FlowDock,Slack, Let's Chat, and Mattermost) seem to differentiate between messages in a channel with are directed to everyone in the channel versus to me directly. I want to know if someone has tried to ask me a question personally versus if the question was directed to everyone on the team. I don’t want to be distracted if it's not directed to me personally. I will catch up with it later. Theoretically, this would be simple to fix, but I don't know enough about the internals of the software to judge whether this is actually true. Something I didn't know I wanted until I used FlowDock was threaded conversations. They took a bit of getting used to, but being able to separate out each topic within the channel is handy. Unfortunately, not everyone remembers to use it so it loses some of its utility.

it_user530142
Search CX Support Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Instant alerts and channels for communicating with teammates about updating tickets and code improved our productivity.

What is most valuable?

We use a robot integrated with JIRA and BitBucket, a customized robot, and hubot.

How has it helped my organization?

We receive instant alerts from HipChat on iPhone. As a system engineer, we need to get the notification immediately to update tickets from JIRA and update the code from BitBucket on mobile. We could check this from email, but there are a lot of emails that we would just ignore. For HipChat, we can create a specific channel for the update. We communicate with teammates instantly within the channel, which helps us to be productive.

What needs improvement?

What I had dealt with hipchat was integrating hipchat with our operational server (hubot + jenkins) at the backend. Thus, we could run some non-critical operation on top of the mobile, such as resource check, availability check, owner check. Due to the security reason, we should not allow to run some crucial cmd like reboot. There are some build-in feature for JIRA and bitbucket helping us to send out notification to hipchat room. Therefore, we can directly give a instant response via the room instead of sending out massive emails.

I have been using HipChat for two years.

There was some problem with the company firewall. It was not stable in some versions.

I did not have any scalability issues.

The technical support was slightly above average.

Before HipChat, we used Lync without a built-in robot.

The initial setup was straightforward. The installation was simple. I did it without reading the manual.

We evaluated Slackbecause it is free for basic usage.

What other advice do I have?

Study customized robots for further automation.

it_user11628
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
No email - we use Yammer, HipChat and others
We use very little email at AngelList. Most of our communication happens on Yammer, HipChat, Tracker and face-to-face. This probably gets us a 90% reduction in email. If you’re running your company via email, you’re missing out on newer, more effective communications technologies. Yammer is our company mailing list Yammer has nested conversations, search, inline images and likes. It is also our company directory. And they have a mobile app. We use it for asynchronous communication across the whole company. Most of all, it keeps our company “mailing list” out of email. Yammer, HipChat and Tracker all have email, mobile and desktop notifications. You don’t need to check them every 5 minutes. HipChat is for IM HipChat is an IM app for desktop and mobile. It has inline images,…

Yammer is our company mailing list

HipChat is for IM

HipChat is an IM app for desktop and mobile. It has inline images, presence, search and a company directory. The (buggy) iPhone app keeps you accessible when you’re out of the office.

It also supports multi-person rooms (we have a room for our engineers) and it has an API that we use to feed other rooms with exceptions, GitHub notifications and deploys.

We use HipChat for synchronous 1-on-1 and group communication.

If you’re using Skype for IM, try HipChat. Alternatives include Yammer, which has rudimentary IM. Or a Facebook group which has a wall and basic IM. But I recommend HipChat.

Tracker is for product specs

We use Tracker to spec out goals and tasks for new features. Each spec has its own todo list, image attachments, comments and status. It’s also easy to re-prioritize features and assign them to different people. Some people prefer Asana or Trello for specs.

Face-to-face is for everything else

The biggest companies weren’t built remotely. Families don’t live remotely. Sports teams don’t train remotely.

Face-to-face is for high bandwidth communication, sub-communication (body language and facial expressions), leaving an impression, new ideas, overhearing other people’s conversations, bonding with your co-workers, whiteboarding, throwing chairs, and everything else you need to say to build a big business.

When we use email

I discourage new team members from using email, but there are a few places where we use it.

First, when we need to communicate with people outside the company.

Second, when we need to have a conversation with an ad hoc group of people inside the company. HipChat is not great for ad hoc groups that only need to discuss a single task like, “how should we negotiate this deal.”

Third is laziness and stupidity (guilty).

Update: There’s an excellent discussion of alternative approaches on Quibb.

it_user11625
Head of Engineering at a media company with 51-200 employees
A Hip tool we use
OK, so my 21 year old son tells me that there is nothing less hip than saying something is hip. He cringes when I say it. This, of course, makes me say it even more. :) We have incorporated a hip app, HipChat, into our workflow in an interesting way. HipChat is a product that can be used for presence, chat and file transfer. HipChat has the notion of different “rooms”. As you can see below, we have rooms for sysops (servers crashing), an activity stream and a “new Jira issues” stream. We use Jira as our tracking tool for our development process which I wrote about a few weeks ago. One cool feature of Jira is that you can easily add an action that will post a message to a HipChat room. As you can see below, I set up Jira to fire off a message to HipChat when an issue is resolved:…

hipchat

hipchatMessage

When someone creates a new issue, it shows up in the HipChat “new jira issues” room. When someone moves an issue to the “Waiting for approval from Product” state, it shows up in the “activity stream” room.

HipChat has Windows, Mac and mobile clients, so you can watch for new issues while you are having a romantic Italian dinner in the North End. It’s a big hit with the wife. I know.

Another cool (hip) thing that HipChat has is an API Application Programming Interface. We use Zabbix and New Relic for monitoring our systems. If something bad happens, it sends a message to the Zabbix server. Zabbix is then set up to post the sysops message to the HipChat “sysops” room and also sends out email. You can see below how the UI app got bounced because it crashed (oops) and also the processor load was too high for a while. (We use godrb to monitor and bounce misbehaving servers). Crap. I guess I need to fix the spelling on “Warnng”. :)

hipchatAPI

Pretty hip, eh?

it_user11367
Content Developer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Flexible price plan & comes with a ton of plug-ins but it’s very easy to get distracted while using it
General Things (GT) (the company I work for) recently began using HipChat, a group chat service designed especially for business. Before the office became hooked on HipChat, Gmail and Gchat were the primary sources of communication.Chris Hein (of make_sandwich fame) was the driving force behind the team’s switch, as he wanted a more efficient way to keep the entire office in constant contact. He looked into Skype chat rooms and Campfire before his roommate suggested HipChat. What we like: HipChat is perfect for the GT team for a few reasons. One was its flexible price plan; at $2/mo per person, HipChat comes in at a much cheaper total cost than similar services. Chris also knew that since HipChat runs in Adium and comes with a ton of plug-ins, it would appeal to the team. However,…

What we like:

However, it was clearly HipChat’s abundant supply of Emojis and especially the ability to create custom ones that sold Chris and the GT team on HipChat.

What we don’t like:

Like any chat service, it’s very easy to get distracted while using it. It can be incredibly tough to resist the siren song of a good cat image or a hilarious animated gif.

The GT team has found that the best way around this is to merely log off. Those who are offline can be summoned back via a quick mention of their @handle in the room (Offline or idle users mentioned this way get an email notification.)

Final Thoughts:

The GT team has really taken to HipChat. Having specific rooms for each project and a general conversation room makes it really easy to keep everyone in the the loop. If you’re looking for an affordable and easy way to keep your office in constant communication, then check out HipChat.

Do it for the Emojis.

it_user11361
VP of Systems Engineering at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Alternative to Campfire, IRC, or even iChat
As we’ve been getting started with development at our new company I have taken the opportunity to re-evaluate developer tools and workflow. At Hyperpublic I had the chance to try a lot of the tools that emerged as part of “make everything a cloud service” trend that was sweeping the late 2008-2010 era. I have stuck with many of the old stalwarts – Github (source code hosting), Pivotal Tracker (feature and bug tracking), Dropbox (files haring) – however one welcome new addition to the workflow is HipChat. HipChat is a private group chat client developed by Atlassian, the company who brought us Jira (ticket tracking) and Confluence (information collaboration). It runs natively as an Adobe Air application, and there’s a browser based UI for search and history should you need to access a…

HipChat is a private group chat client developed by Atlassian, the company who brought us Jira (ticket tracking) and Confluence (information collaboration). It runs natively as an Adobe Air application, and there’s a browser based UI for search and history should you need to access a piece of information on the go. It supports multiple rooms for group chat, one on one private chat, file and link sharing, and has a useful API for integrating with other services in the workflow.

A nice benefit of integrating our other services with HipChat is the activity stream that is produced which helps everybody observe progress. When code is pushed to Github, a new pull request is issued, new comments are left, new stories are created, Chef finishes running, integration tests fail….everybody is kept up to date on progress in a way that isn’t obtrusive and doesn’t clog the inbox. I’ve noticed an increase in engagement with code reviews and an increased commitment to our intended workflow – both huge benefits. If you’re looking for a team alternative to Campfire, IRC, or even iChat I’d recommend checking out HipChat.

* Hat tip to our team member Jamie for bringing HipChat to the team.

Product Categories
Enterprise Social Software
Download our free Enterprise Social Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, Microsoft, IBM, and more!