Hitachi Content Platform Overview

Hitachi Content Platform is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top File and Object Storage tools. It is most often compared to Dell EMC ECS: Hitachi Content Platform vs Dell EMC ECS

What is Hitachi Content Platform?

Hitachi Content Platform is an object storage solution that enables IT organizations and cloud service providers to store, share, sync, protect, preserve, analyze and retrieve file data from a single system. It is more efficient, easier to use, and capable of handling much more data than traditional file storage solutions. HCP automates day-to-day IT operations like data protection and readily evolves to changes in scale, scope, applications, storage, server and cloud technologies over the life of data. In IT environements where data grows quickly or must live for years, decades or even indefinitely, these capabilities are invaluable.

Hitachi Content Platform is also known as HCP, Hitachi Vantara Content Platform, Hitachi Vantara HCP.

Hitachi Content Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Hitachi Content Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Hitachi Content Platform Customers

Rabobank, Xinhua News Agency, Kremsm'ller Industrieanlagenbau KG, KSC Commercial Internet, AIS Group, Shanghai Interactive Television Co. Ltd (SiTV), China Telecom, Spin Master

Hitachi Content Platform Video

Hitachi Content Platform Reviews

Mahesh Wijenayaka
Head of Systems at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 22, 2020
Has valuable retention logs and the DNS is managed by itself

What is our primary use case?

This solution is deployed at the customer level. They use it for media files and file storage and there are some customers who are evaluating it for the content archive.

• "The features that I have found most valuable are their retention logs. The other thing I have found most valuable is the way they handle the BHEA. Basically the DNS and everything is managed by itself. It is seamless to the users."
  • "In terms of the customer support, I can say it's a mixed reaction depending on the country."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone using this solution to get proper glue. You have one product and you will be using it for some purpose, but you need the glue to stitch them together. You need to find the right glue. For that process, when you have to have the right glue and you come up with a complete solution - Hitachi can be a bit painful. Additionally, they need to come up with a simple migration. Writing a proper data migration from an existing system to migrate, that is something that they lack. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Hitachi Content Platform about a nine.
Mahesh Wijenayaka
Head of Systems at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 21, 2020
Good retention log and provides seamless recovery in case of disaster

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. On our end, we are using for R&D purposes. Our customers primarily use HCP for media files and file storage. Some of them are using it as an image repository.

• "The way that they handle the DR is very good because when there is a failover, it is seamless to the users."
  • "What is lacking in this solution is a simple process to migrate from existing systems."

What other advice do I have?

I have seen that some of our customers position this solution as a file server but this is not something that I recommend. It is not intended as a file server. My advice to anybody who is considering this product is to properly consider the integration between components, or the "glue". This is a good solution but it works as a part of a larger system. If it isn't planned properly then it can be a bit painful. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Dell EMC, Red Hat and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: February 2021.
464,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Udara Weerapperuma
Senior Consulting Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 30, 2020
Has good deduplication, encryption, version controlling, support, and tamper-proof data features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is mainly for backup archival and for sharing Dropbox files. It's a Dropbox kind of thing for sharing and archival. We also use it to create content.

• "Feature-wise, it has a lot of features. The most valuable features include de-duplication, encryption, version controlling, support, and tamper-proof data."
  • "They should improve the user interface. It's a little bit complex. It does not have a self-learning method. You need to know how to use it before you touch the system. The user interface is not self-explanatory."

What other advice do I have?

The best way to integrate that liaison is to use the REST API. That is the best way. Hitachi provides some connectors if other users can use the REST API and integrate that application, that will be a huge advantage for them. Also, you should have programming knowledge to help the application teams integrate the applications with the solution, it will be much easier for the implementation. I would rate it a nine out of ten. The only issue is that the user interface is not so good. Other than that, everything is perfect.