Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series is #14 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. IT Central Station users give Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series an average rating of 8 out of 10. Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series is most commonly compared to Dell EMC Unity XT:Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series vs Dell EMC Unity XT. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series?

RETHINK YOUR DEFINITION OF SPEED AND PERFORMANCE

With adaptive, guaranteed data reduction and a 100% data-availability guarantee, Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F series helps you tackle complicated business challenges. Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) VSP F series delivers up to 4.8M IOPS with sub-millisecond response times.
Featuring legendary Hitachi reliability, VSP F series arrays are backed by the industries only 100% availability guarantee. For these reasons, 80% of the Fortune 500 choose Hitachi all-flash arrays to accelerate the performance of mission-critical applications like Oracle, SAP, Virtualization, Microsoft apps etc. With over 350 patents in flash technology, Hitachi’s innovative mix of flash hardware and software accelerates ROI with enterprise-class reliability and performance.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Customers

Turkcell, Owens Corning, Region Nord, Net Credit Financial Group (NFC Group), Russian Railways

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series pricing:
  • "When you are looking for high-end solutions such as this, price is less important than stability and availability."
  • "It is expensive as compared to other vendors, but its price is good if you are looking for stability, reliability, performance, and security."
  • "This is an expensive solution."

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Reviews

MahdiBahmani
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Virtual Storage Platform is the brand name for a Hitachi Data Systems line of computer data storage systems for data centers

• "This is one of the most stable, high-end solutions in this area."
  • "The interface should be simplified and made easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and I work with a lot of different SAN products, depending on the needs of the customers. we have implemented this solution, as well as the G series, for some of our clients.

I have a project right now that involves revising and fine-tuning a storage network. This network contains two Hitatch VSP G Series units. There is not a major difference between the F Series and the G Series. Both of them are enterprise-scale and efficient for many data centers. It is used as primary storage in industries such as banking, automotive, health care, and insurance. Large companies, or companies that have an IBM mainframe.

If the solution requires a very high IO/s (Input/Output per second) with sub-millisecond response time then they should select the F Series because it has better performance.

How has it helped my organization?

I was attracted to this solution after finding out several of the special features that are available for storage.

• Storage Virtualization
  • Global Active Device
  • FMD
  • Metro Clustering
  • 3D Scale ( Scale-up, Scale-out, Scale-deep)

Three years later, I started to design an enterprise solution for one company, using this product has led to more stability and business owner satisfaction due to prevent unwanted downtime or service outage.

What is most valuable?

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G provides the always-availablHitachi Virtual Storage Platform G provides the always-available, agile and automated foundation needed for a trusted Continuous Cloud Infrastructure. Powered with Hitachi global storage virtualization, its new software capabilities unlock IT agility and enable the lowest storage TCO. This solution helps to provide more stability and high availability in Datacenters.e, agile and automated foundation needed for a trusted Continuous Cloud Infrastructure. Powered with Hitachi global storage virtualization, its new software capabilities unlock IT agility and enable the lowest storage TCO. This soultion helps to provies more stability and high-avalbility in Datacenters.

What needs improvement?

Compared to others, Hitachi products are more complex and not user-friendly. The interface should be simplified and made easier to use. For instance, the EMC Unity series is easier to manage.

In the next release of this solution, it should support NVMe.

An important improvement for this solution is cloud integration (OpenStack), as well as integration with VVoL technologies, Docker, Kubernetes, and Red Hat OpenShift.

I can say that in new Hitachi Vantara Products we can see a better interface and easier management.

I have started working with HDS solutions for more than ten years ago. In my idea, the most perfect one is VSP G Series because you can find better integration with business requirments and better response to IT challenges.

This is one of the most stable, high-end solutions in this area. It has eight controllers and special features for connecting disks on the back end. It has a lot of front ports and all of the components are redundant. It is hard to find a problem with this product. It is designed for those who want less than one minute a year of downtime. It's a 24/7 product.

Based on customers need solutions should be designed. In my experience switching from previous brands to HDS VSP has led to reaching 40% better TCO and 99.9999 availability.

The installation of this solution is a little bit hard. In these kinds of products, the original companies are often interested in setting up the product in the customer's environment.

We are located in Iran, and there is a lot of tension and lack of communication because of our locale. There are restrictions in a lot of our data centers that preclude us from having special software from the original company, and because of that, we face a lot of problems when using these kinds of products.

The initial setup and configuration are usually done by the CE of the vendor, and after the initial configuration is complete, These products are sent to our data centers.

This solution is less expensive than the EMC VMAX series.

When you are looking for high-end solutions such as this, price is less important than stability and availability.

I have researched many products in the Enterprise area to find the best suits for my customers. These include high-end products by NetApp(FAS8060), EMC VMAX, the HPE XP P9500, and the HPE XP Series.

For instance, for one of my customers comparing the details of these products and my customer requirements has led to scoring each of the features. Ultimately, I chose the Hitachi VSP series. The second choice was the HPE XP P9500.

This type of comparison is not easy because there are a lot of companies and a lot of brands. However, I just wanted to find the best solution for my customer.

What other advice do I have?

Day to day, everything changes in the field of IT. I have done a lot of research on products such as this, and I have learned that we are going to have a lot more data in 2020. This huge amount of data means that you need the right platform for processing data quickly. More than before, we need a platform that can process large amounts of data in less than ten milliseconds. One such platform is the Hitachi VSP, with both good performance and availability.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

GV
Engineer at Secretaria de Educacion del Gobierno del Estado de Mexico
The setup is very easy to manage and configure

• "The setup is very easy to manage and configure. The initial setup and takes one hour more or less."
  • "For the support windows to work, maybe they have to upgrade the firmware of the VSP. They changed the hardware or the disk. I don't know if it was the port blade they changed or a VM for a memory cache. Also, replacing the old target with the processor target would be fine. The old equipment is very easy to manage, and I don't have any bad commentary."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution in the data center of the office of Mexico's Secretary of Education. I work with different hosts. In this case, it had to be HP-UX, Linux, and Windows. I work with the entire family of Hitachi hardware, but for this case, I work with the CBS500 and CB2500 Blade. I use all kinds of software, like Command Director and Device Manager.

What needs improvement?

For the support windows to work, maybe they have to upgrade the firmware of the VSP. They changed the hardware or the disk. I don't know if it was the port blade they changed or a VM for a memory cache. Also, replacing the old target with the processor target would be fine. The old equipment is very easy to manage, and I don't have any bad commentary.

I have worked with this equipment for the last two years. When I worked before in Hitachi Data Systems, I worked for a data architect and designed complete solutions, so I have a lot of interaction with the clients.  I handle the solutions, the capacity of the disk, configuration, initial set up, definitions of the DP pools, assigning the volumes, creating the entire SAN, etc. Also, I manage the SAN switches. I worked for Pearson, Sonic, Mobiistar, Macromer, Mynorte, and Santander. Every time, I created the whole environment— all open and the mainframe in development. For example, at Ponavid, I created the whole solution, assigned the space, performed all the troubleshooting, as well as supported all the hardware and the performance.

Yes it's very scalable. For example, in the VSP, you can scale the capacity of the disk in-tray and also in the mid-range. In the VSP, the tray is a bit bigger obviously, and I think the disk is the same. And also when you escalate the new equipment, configuration is very easy as well.

When I with work with Hitachi Vantara, I oversee the troubleshooting and support. I am the engineer who provides support, and so it's easy. Once we installed using the harddrive manager, when hardware failed.  Support created a case and assigned this to me and I am the engineer. I take the case and I have to take a solution to the client.

The setup is very easy to manage and configure. The initial setup and takes one hour more or less. And when I check the old disk and processor or the memory cache, I check the blade also. Next, I changed the disk, created the configuration, and installed the old disk. This takes maybe one hour extra. Depending on the performance of the old disk and the capacity, it could take maybe three or four hours. Sometimes, it takes eight. Then I created a SAN, a port, the host groups, the DP pools, and the dynamic provisioning. And for performance troubleshooting, I take a dump. For example, I check the read-write performance of the IO as well as the performance of the port, the workflow, the workload, and the memory cache.

It always depends on what technology you need. Because if you need a very fast flash disk, it's going to be more expensive obviously. But if you need a backup solution, it's fine, because the technology is advanced, but it fits in some cases.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Hitachi 10 out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Dell EMC, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Marcio_Okubo
Product Manager at Storageone
Reseller
A resilient solution with good stability, reliability, performance, and security

• "Its resilience is the most valuable."
  • "Hitachi should launch some small machines in Brazil. The smallest machine here in Brazil is VSP 350, which can be quite big for some of the customers. In China, Hitachi has small models of this equipment, but those models are not available in our region. Its pricing is a big issue for us. We are resellers, and we face some competition from other vendors. Hitachi doesn't always have a good position in terms of the price. Its user interface is also not as good as some of the other competitors, and it can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am not an end user. I present the solution to customers. I study a customer's infrastructure and suggest a product based on the customer's needs, such as latency or IOPS performance. I usually work with VSP F700 and F900 models.

What is most valuable?

Its resilience is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Hitachi should launch some small machines in Brazil. The smallest machine here in Brazil is VSP 350, which can be quite big for some of the customers. In China, Hitachi has small models of this equipment, but those models are not available in our region.

Its pricing is a big issue for us. We are resellers, and we face some competition from other vendors. Hitachi doesn't always have a good position in terms of the price. Its user interface is also not as good as some of the other competitors, and it can be improved.

I have been working with Hitachi VSP Platform for three or four years.

It is stable. I didn't have any issues with its stability.

It depends on the series of the machine. When we are sizing a machine for our customers, we should consider how big the machine should be for three to five years. Our clients are medium to large organizations.

It used to be very good, but nowadays, it is not so good because Hitachi doesn't provide support for fixes. Another company is now doing fixes for Hitachi.

I don't take care of this area.

It is expensive as compared to other vendors, but its price is good if you are looking for stability, reliability, performance, and security.

Our clients evaluate all competitors, such as EMC, Huawei, and Pure Storage. Price is one of the big issues concerning the competition between these brands. Hitachi is the most expensive, followed by Pure Storage and EMC. Huawei is the cheapest.

Hitachi is one of the traditional brands for storage. People had Hitachi at a certain point in time in the past, but they couldn't continue with Hitachi because of the price. Last December, we sold a solution to a customer who didn't buy Hitachi for maybe seven or eight years. We were able to put a good proposal, and they acquired another Hitachi solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series an eight out of ten.

AB
Team Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable hardware that is straightforward to set up, and the interface is improving

• "The feature I like best is the stability of the hardware."
  • "They should look at the cost because there are other vendors who offer the same cost with more features."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for everything. It's a maximum workload. We use the rackmount for virtual workloads, databases, applications, centralized workflows, Hadoop, and Big Data.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like best is the stability of the hardware.

I like the UI that has recently been launched in the Hitachi help center.

What needs improvement?

They need to focus on a single UI, then the multiple components.

They should look at the cost because there are other vendors who offer the same cost with more features.

I would like to see the UI flexibility improved, as most of the vendors are providing a better UI.

I have been working with the Hitachi F-Series for the last three years. In total, I have been working with Hitachi products for about 15 years.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. We have more than 1000 users.

The technical support is good. Obviously, it can be better, but it is good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Compared with other vendors, there is a lot of competition that provides the same cost, with more features.

DM
Chief System Engineer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Review about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for storage. I have a gateway to H-Net, which is where all my file systems are, and I have all my virtual environments on this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is a very reliable storage solution.

What needs improvement?

I think the management should be improved, because it is not very user-friendly at all. I also think the support could be better - at least for mid-range users. I think historically Hitachi systems are made for really big organizations like banks or insurance companies. Usually those companies have dedicated personnel dealing with the storage. And because they're very valuable clients, their support contracts are much more tailored to their businesses. Since this program is more aimed towards smaller companies, they don't have support solutions for mid-range companies.

I also think that their management is not very user-friendly. If this wasn't the case, more support wouldn't be necessary. It's a very reliable system, but the whole management user interface is very unfriendly. I know they're aware of that. They have a lot of data of management solutions, but none of them yet have reached sovereignty yet.

I have been using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F for four years now.

OS
Technical Consultant at a wholesaler/distributor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Works well in all deployment models, but it is expensive and technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and we sell storage solutions, including the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform. We do not work with this solution in the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can use it with all deployment models.

What needs improvement?

The user interface should be made simpler because it is difficult to manage. Technical support needs to be improved. Lowering the price of this solution would be an improvement.

I don't like Hitachi's technical support. They are there but it is not perfect and they are not very much help.

The initial setup is complex. The length of time required for deployment depends on what you want to do,…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can use it with all deployment models.

What needs improvement?

The user interface should be made simpler because it is difficult to manage.

Technical support needs to be improved.

Lowering the price of this solution would be an improvement.

The initial setup is complex.

The length of time required for deployment depends on what you want to do, although it does not normally take more than one day.

This is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is not customer-oriented, so my advice for anybody who is implementing it is to acquire help for the installation, setup, and configuration.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Categories
All-Flash Storage Arrays
Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Dell EMC, Pure Storage, and more!