Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Overview

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Frame-Based Disk Arrays. It is most often compared to Dell EMC SC Series: Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series vs Dell EMC SC Series

What is Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series?

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform Gx00 Series delivers advanced, active flash tiering that analyzes data streams in real time and moves data from disk to flash to meet demanding performance SLAs with a cost-effective mix of flash and disk.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is also known as Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G1500.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Buyer's Guide

Download the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Customers

M&S, Coop Group, Kufstein Hospital, Sichuan Local Taxation Bureau, Wuxi Municipal Bureau

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series pricing:
  • "The costs were primarily in line with every other vendor at the time."
  • "It is a little expensive."
  • "Our main issue with the Hitachi G-Series is what we consider to be an archaic software licensing scheme and high maintenance costs."
  • "The cost price of this product is better than its competitors."

RM
Storage Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, the software offerings are solid, and the active-active option works well

What is our primary use case?

This product was used to store all of our production block requirements. We are now migrating to an all-flash storage system.

• "The active-active option seemed to be working well and overall, it was a solid product."
  • "It seemed like every time we turned around it was a statement of work and we'd have to pay for something that our previous vendors would not have billed us for."

What other advice do I have?

I can't say anything about the product itself that was in need of improvement. The areas where we had issues were more along the lines with support and HDS management. For anybody who is interested in this solution, I would say that from a product standpoint, it is fine. The only problem is the support. Anytime we needed support, it was delayed. I'm not sure of the reason for this, but it just seemed like it took a long time to get things resolved. At the time we did our RFP, HDS did not have an all-flash offering. They do now, but I haven't had the opportunity to look at their all-flash…
Dragoslav Milosevic
System Engineer at S&T Crna Gora d.o.o.
A solid product for high-performance data storage and utilization

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case in our company is as a reseller of the product. We don't have any Hitachi equipment solutions ourselves for production. We sell storage equipment to clients. Popular usage for our clients is for email storage in telecall centers and for high-performance data storage and utilization.

• "The product has great data storage performance with a 100% data security and availability guarantee."
  • "The pricing is high, but the product is good. Additional features like data duplication might make it even better."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other people considering this solution is that it is a very good product. It has very good stability, it is easy to use, it has a 100% data security and availability guarantee. It is a very, very good solution manufactured by a good company. On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate these products as a ten because they do what we need them to without fail. For us they are perfect.
Learn what your peers think about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RP
Solutions Consultant at Revera Limited
A high-performance solution that provides DR and resiliency, but the management interface needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily within our large IaaS platform for All-Purpose Storage, Tiered Storage, Storage Replication, and non-disruptive Data Mobility between storage tiers. It is an ideal device for secure multi-tenanting and those hosting many clients.

• "The hybrid array provides scaleable, predictable, high performance with no capacity constraints."
  • "Hitachi Vantara has invested heavily in improving their management interface, however, they still have a way to go to catch up with many of their competitors."
RM
Storage Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Decent performance, straightforward to set up, good support, and it served our purposes at the time

What is our primary use case?

We used the G Series as our primary shared storage, SAN storage. It hosted all of the critical applications and databases.

• "The performance was decent."
  • "We moved away from this product because we were looking for an all-flash solution, and with our G1500 at the time, perhaps two years ago, they were just proposing more of the same technology."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that everybody has to do their own due diligence. The G Series is a good product but it isn't meet our requirements In summary, this is a very good product but there's always room for improvement. It certainly served our purposes at the time. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
VK
CISO at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good support, highly reliable, with high capabilities, and is secure

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is as a SAN device for my ERP solution, as well as for my Windows Servers.

• "This is a good product with high capabilities and high reliability."
  • "I would like to see an audit account set up such that the user can log in, see the configuration, and see the logs, but they cannot make any changes."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I don't think needs any improvement because I don't see any challenges. I definitely recommend this solution to others. The security of this solution depends on how it is installed. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
GA
Senior technical and storage expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good reliability and stability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform is for storing data from the Oracle database. Additionally, it is for banking and other transactions.

• "It's best features are its reliability and stability."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, it could use a better, faster web console and other consoles. It is so boring waiting, waiting and waiting for it to refresh."

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation to anyone looking to use Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is to read and read and read and learn from other people's experiences and basic knowledge. This is really important for everyone. On a scale of one to ten, I would give Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series a nine.
RB
Senior Customer Service Engineer at DP IRAN
A user-friendly solution that offers good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data storage and processing.

• "The solution is very user-friendly in terms of maintenance and configuration. It's also possible to connect the solution to other storage management solutions."
  • "The initial setup was difficult, as we don't have access to assistance. We had some issues around configuration. We needed to know things like what kind of rate is the best, or what kind of replication is ideal. We had to seek out answers online to get the information we needed."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
AY
IT Service Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good, robust device that doesn't need too much troubleshooting

What is our primary use case?

We use Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for core products. We get new machines and move the data to new machines. In our organization, we have over 5,000 users.

What is most valuable?

It is robust. It doesn't need too much troubleshooting. It is a good device.

What needs improvement?

The snapshot and clone operation functions can be made easier.

I have been using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for about five years.

It is highly stable.

It has good scalability.

We have contacted them for a technical issue. Their technical…
See 1 more Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Reviews