Hortonworks Data Platform Overview

Hortonworks Data Platform is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Hadoop tools. It is most often compared to Amazon EMR: Hortonworks Data Platform vs Amazon EMR

What is Hortonworks Data Platform?
Hortonworks is a leading innovator in the industry, creating, distributing and supporting enterprise-ready open data platforms and modern data applications. Our mission is to manage the world's data. We have a single-minded focus on driving innovation in open source communities such as Apache Hadoop, NiFi, and Spark. We along with our 1600+ partners provide the expertise, training and services that allow our customers to unlock transformational value for their organizations across any line of business. Our connected data platforms powers modern data applications that deliver actionable intelligence from all data: data-in-motion and data-at-rest. We are Powering the Future of Data.

Hortonworks Data Platform is also known as Hortonworks, HDP.

Hortonworks Data Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Hortonworks Data Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Hortonworks Data Platform Customers
Mayo Clinic, Symantec, Progressive Insurance, Noble Energy, Cardinal Health, Rogers, Mercy, Neustar, TRUECar, T-Mobile
Hortonworks Data Platform Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hortonworks Data Platform pricing:
  • "It is priced well and it is affordable"

Senior HPC and BigData Architect at BitNet
Provides a complete solution and just one user interface that can manage all the packages

What is our primary use case?

Hortonworks actually provides a complete solution and just one user interface that can manage all the packages. It can monitor all the requirements, all the versions and additionally all the quays and all the hardware-dependent services. What I want is a useful user interface which is the reason why I currently prefer to use Hortonworks.

• "The Hortonworks solution is so stable. It is working as a production system, without any error, without any downtime. If I have downtime, it is mostly caused by the hardware of the computers."
  • "I work a lot with banking, IT and communications customers. Hortonworks must improve or must upgrade their services for these sectors."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is an open-source project. If you don't want to use their professional support services, you don't pay anything for Hortonworks and its solutions. When you want to call there or use its user interface, it's paid. This is why prefer Hortonworks solutions in my projects. I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.
SS
Data Science and Data Engineering Leader | Senior Principal Data Scientist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
A modeling and analysis data platform that is inexpensive and stable

What is our primary use case?

We use Hortonworks as a storage platform and then we create machine learning models and do the execution using Cloudera Data Science Workbench. (Cloudera and Hortonworks merged in January of 2019.)

• "The scalability is the key reason why we are on this platform."
  • "Hortonworks should not be expensive at all to those looking into using it."
  • "The version control of the software is also an issue."

What other advice do I have?

It is important to note that the IT team has to support the product. We are not the IT team so if we have to scale it, someone has to be able to do that administrative job of adding another server and managing the distribution of the data across all the servers. To work with this, you need to have that skill set within the IT department. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Hortonworks Data Platform as an eight or nine out-of-ten. It is meeting a need.
Learn what your peers think about Hortonworks Data Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,534 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VK
Senior IT Officer- Head of Administration, System Administration Division for Unix and Linux Servers at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A cost-effective alternative for managing our big data

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to look at and manage big data. It's mostly historical data that we offload from our data warehouse, as well as from other databases in other platforms. We have two different installations. The first one is based on IBM POWER CPUs, and the other one is based on Intel CPUs. Our data center is on-premise. There is some thought on moving to a private could, or a private IBM cloud, but we have not proceeded with that as of yet.

• "Now, using this solution, it is much cheaper to have all of the data available for searching, not in real-time, but whenever there is a pending request."
  • "I would like to see more support for containers such as Docker and OpenShift."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, but we still have some issues with backup, and the performance monitors that we install on every system. There may be solutions, but we're struggling to integrate them. This is a product that I recommend. It's a solution that comes at a lower price, and it works well if you don't have expectations that it will behave like a much more expensive system. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
WH
Sr. Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A seamless solution with a solid workflow

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the hospitality industry.

What is most valuable?

The data platform is pretty neat. The workflow is also really good.

What needs improvement?

The NiFi platform could be enhanced. This refers to the data ingestion in a workflow.  It would also be nice if there was less coding involved.

I have been using this solution for six years.

The technical support is okay, but not excellent. They can take a while to respond.

What other advice do I have?

If you wish to use this solution, make sure you compare it with some other solutions first to make sure it's right for your needs.  Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give…
Product Categories
Hadoop
Download our free Hortonworks Data Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.