Hortonworks Data Platform Overview

Hortonworks Data Platform is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Hadoop tools. It is most often compared to Amazon EMR: Hortonworks Data Platform vs Amazon EMR

What is Hortonworks Data Platform?
Hortonworks is a leading innovator in the industry, creating, distributing and supporting enterprise-ready open data platforms and modern data applications. Our mission is to manage the world's data. We have a single-minded focus on driving innovation in open source communities such as Apache Hadoop, NiFi, and Spark. We along with our 1600+ partners provide the expertise, training and services that allow our customers to unlock transformational value for their organizations across any line of business. Our connected data platforms powers modern data applications that deliver actionable intelligence from all data: data-in-motion and data-at-rest. We are Powering the Future of Data.

Hortonworks Data Platform is also known as Hortonworks, HDP.

Hortonworks Data Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Hortonworks Data Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Hortonworks Data Platform Customers
Mayo Clinic, Symantec, Progressive Insurance, Noble Energy, Cardinal Health, Rogers, Mercy, Neustar, TRUECar, T-Mobile
Hortonworks Data Platform Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

LM
Solution Architect at Teradata Corporation
We use it for data science activities. Security and workload management need improvement.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data science activities.

How has it helped my organization?

Data is now available.

What is most valuable?

I have no preferences towards any feature.

What needs improvement?

Security Performance Workload management

Less than one year.
User at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Enabled us to implement fraud detection and improve performance at a lower cost

• "Ranger for security; with Ranger we can manager user’s permissions/access controls very easily."
  • "Hive performance. If Hive performance increased, Hadoop would replace (not everywhere) traditional databases."

What other advice do I have?

Product is good. Reason I gave a rating of eight is that their community is very large and relatively very quick in bug fixes.
Learn what your peers think about Hortonworks Data Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BigData(QA & RnD) with 51-200 employees
The user-friendly feature of the Ambari Web UI is one of its best features. On the other hand, the Ambari upgrade is difficult.

What is most valuable?

Ambari Web UI: user-friendly Views for Hive, Tez, Pig Spark and Ranger

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organisation cater to clients who are using Big Data for data storage and analysis combined with our security product.

What needs improvement?

Deleting any service requires a lot of clean up, unlike Cloudera.

Five years.

Not until now.

Very supportive, prompt responses.

We didn't use a previous solution.

The Ambari upgrade is not…
Big Data - Senior Solutions Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It is open and there is no lock-in.

What other advice do I have?

It is the best in terms of product vision and actual delivery.
Solution Architect at MIMOS Berhad
It gives us semantic analysis based on the feeds from social networking data, clickstream data, etc., but it needs to support disaster recovery features such as mirroring.

What other advice do I have?

Study, analyze, and compare with other big data platforms features according to your requirements before choosing the appropriate one.
CTO at a tech services company
​The setup of hadoop was easy thanks to Ambari, but installing the security components was complex.

What other advice do I have?

In short, I recommend this product simply because Hortonworks is the only distribution that runs on Linux and Windows Servers.
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It enables customers to perform sentimental analysis from social media data to engineering analytics. Name Node High Availability is still not stable.

Valuable Features:

Hortonworks is 100% Open Source. Hortonworks does a great job in managing all different components of Hadoop.

Improvements to My Organization:

We've done multiple implementations of it. It enables customers to perform sentimental analysis from social media data to engineering analytics.

Room for Improvement:

Security- Although they support Knox and Ranger and Kerberos, they are still missing attribute-level encryption features. Name Node High Availability is still not stable (memory issues).
Principal Consultant - Big Data with 501-1,000 employees
It is improving rapidly, but like other flavors of Hadoop there is room for improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Hadoop is complex. It takes a dedicated approach from individuals with a broad range of technology skills and commitment to overcome challenges that do not normally present themselves in well-established technologies.
Lead IT Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
We've integrated our current distribution of it with Tableau, but we had issues upgrading to the newer versions, but these were resolved with their help.

What is most valuable?

The features I've found most valuable are-- Ambari UI Hive Pig Hive Also integrated Tableau with this distribution

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to deploy and we've used this distribution for some of our recommendation and trend analysis use cases.

I've used it for almost one year.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

We faced some issues while upgrading to newer versions with current distributions, but with their support we solved it.

Customer Service: Customer service…
Associate Consultant at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
The Ambari UI is valuable for cluster monitoring, but there are certain features that need tuning, such as the Hue UI.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that if you are implementing this at an enterprise level, the support is compulsory. Additionally having a high degree of patience is key, as this is open source and road bumps can be frequent when moving at a fast pace.
Big Data Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have faster processing times for our apps, but it needs to automate deployment on multi nodes.

What is most valuable?

There are several features that are most valuable for us-- Hue Hive Spark S3

How has it helped my organization?

With it, we have faster processing times for our apps.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be quicker and to have the ability to automate deployment on multiple nodes.

I've used it for two years.

I've not had to use it.

No solution…
Cyber Security and Analytics Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can collect data from different databases, and where the data is similar, it allows for a detailed analysis from a single data store. It could improve, though, on the ability to update data.

What other advice do I have?

Take your time and script as much as you can so that all base images are the same.
Data science engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We are capable of processing various data science tasks, e.g. natural language processing or log processing.
Business Objects Consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We ​can perform sentiment analysis on Twitter data, but it needs a better UI.

What is most valuable?

Its flexibility is the most valuable feature because you can leverage any Hadoop component and take full advantage of its open source capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to perform sentiment analysis on Twitter data.

What needs improvement?

It needs a better UI.

I used it for five months, one year ago.

It requires too much coding work; we're not good Java and Python developers.

No issues.

No issues.

Customer Service: They are detailed and informational. Technical…
Big Data Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It allows us to provide our customers with data insights that they previously were unable to obtain, but the governance initiatives are far from production ready.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand what happens under the hood. Out-of-the-box tools are sub-par. Customisation is the way to go for now.
Infrastructure Engineer at Zirous, Inc.
It's increased the amount of data that we store from sensor data and weblogs, which gives us a greater scope of data to analyze. However, I'd like to see an increase in usability for Apache Storm.

What is most valuable?

The HDFS (Java-based file system) and Hive Utilities are proving to be most useful.

How has it helped my organization?

Hortonworks has allowed my organization to increase the amount of data that we regularly store from sensor data and weblogs, which in turn gives us a greater scope of data to analyze.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an increase in usability for the Apache Storm engine within the data platform.

I have been using it for less than a year.

When initializing our cluster, we did not allocate enough space to our VAR partition and that ended up causing some issues with the networking to our onsite Tomcat server.

How are customer

ICT Consultant (Advanced Infrastructure) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The Ambari server provides the user an easy way to manage, administrate, and configure their clusters, but it needs to support having more than two HDFS namenodes.

What other advice do I have?

Firstly perform a POC to learn and to get an idea of the load of your future applications. Then, you should be able to correctly design the need infrastructure.
Product Categories
Hadoop
Download our free Hortonworks Data Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links