HPE 3PAR StoreServ Overview

HPE 3PAR StoreServ is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top NAS tools. It is most often compared to HPE Primera: HPE 3PAR StoreServ vs HPE Primera

What is HPE 3PAR StoreServ?

HP 3PAR all-flash storage accelerates business agility by boosting application performance with over 900,000 IOPS at less than 0.7 ms latency. And it does this while delivering all the enterprise-class, Tier-1 features and functionality you expect from the storage platform that powers three of the world’s four largest managed service providers.

HPE 3PAR StoreServ is also known as HPE 3PAR Flash Storage, InServ, Storeserv, 3PAR Flash Storage, HP Enterprise Storage, 3PAR Flash Array, HP 3PAR Flash Storage .

HPE 3PAR StoreServ Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE 3PAR StoreServ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

HPE 3PAR StoreServ Customers

Just Energy, Latisys, team AG, DreamWorks, BlueShore Financial, Erasmus MC

HPE 3PAR StoreServ Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

BJ
Enterprise Architect at M2 Technology
Reseller
Improves performance and offers a simple management console

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for low latency, high-performance workloads.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has given us improved application uptime and performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are Dedupe, Compression, and the simplicity of SSMC (StoreServ Management Console).

What needs improvement?

We would like to see dedupe and compression allowed on all drive types.
ST
Senior System & Storage Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy tiering did a good job in a large scale environment of 1000 VMs, however, the price is outrageous

What is our primary use case?

Our primary cases for HPE 3PAR Flash Storage 7000 are: * Transport sector * Four nodes, 1000 virtual machines * Entire rack solution * Partially flash * 350TB (dense IO).
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Specialist at True Digital Group
AO, CLI, and the Performance reports are the most valuable features

What is our primary use case?

It's used for allocating disk to many servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has high availability, and it's flexible to tuning for system admin.

What is most valuable?

AO CLI Performance report.

What needs improvement?

Integrate to monitor with CentOS.
PS
User at MPRest

What is our primary use case?

For use with a major database for telecom customers who need to collect all of their customers' information.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides amazing performance all day in multiple workloads. We applied different usage models which showed great performance.

What is most valuable?

Scalability, because our customer is fast growing and our solution should be able to start very small and grow very quickly.

What needs improvement?

Security is a mandatory feature because our customer needs to protect delicate information.

Still implementing.
Mark Frenette
HPC Architect at Nuance Communications
Chunklet technology has allowed us to spread our load across all our drives

What is our primary use case?

We run a High Performance Computing grid for Nuance and run GPFS on top of 3PAR. We are using SAS-based 3PAR for data and the 8450s, all SSD, for the metadata. It has been performing great. We have had SSD based 3PARs since 2013 and we have only lost about four drives so far.

• "The chunklet technology is the main benefit out of 3PAR. The way it subdivides. It is using more logic to subdivide the drives into smaller pieces."
  • "With our 3PARs, we have never lost data."
  • "I would like to see a faster Ethernet connection. Right now, it is 10G. If they could do multiple hundred gigs to speed up the transfer from the array to the servers, that would be good. We are trying to get away from Fibre Channel."

What other advice do I have?

With our 3PARs, we have never lost data. I would really push the chunklet technology. That is the main benefit out of 3PAR. The way it subdivides a disk into 1GB chunks.
AT
Storage Admin at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
We have the system up at all times with no performance issues

What is our primary use case?

The our primary use cases for 3PAR are: * We have some secure applications which use it. * We have some built-in, embedded applications that we use on it. * We have some major critical applications which run on 3PAR. * We are using flash arrays 2850 and 8440. The company has been using 3PAR for approximately eight to 10 years. I joined in 2015, and since the day I joined, we had these 8440s flash arrays. Lately, this year only, we bought these new flash arrays, because we had some issues with the 8440s, especially with the drives. After we migrated the 8440s to the 2850s, we have not been… more »

• "With the new flash arrays, 3PAR has improved our performance."
  • "The new StoreServ Management Console (SSMC) tool is more user-friendly."
  • "We need additional enhancements to InfoSight, especially from a VM standpoint. Today, we can see in the Azure VM performance stats in 3PAR, but it is so huge, we can't just drill down on each and every VM and look at its performance."
  • "We are seeing that there are some enhancements which are required in the SSMC console. There are some features that we do not see in the dashboard."

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend going with the all-flash arrays, especially on 3PAR, because that is something that I have personally experience with and I have not seen any issues.
US
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Everything runs smoothly and the expandability is good

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the storage for our on-premise servers, which are both Oracle workloads, as well as having many VMs. We have a lot of complex business needs around legacy things. Our organization has been using 3PAR for about a decade. The performance has been good.

How has it helped my organization?

Everything runs smoothly.

What is most valuable?

The expandability is good.  HPE can login, fix things, alert us to things, and upgrade. We are there and aware, but we do not do the work. So, that is good.

What needs improvement?

There are some weird things that we can't figure out.

Less than one year.

Stability is good.

What do I think about

TE
Solutions Architect

What is our primary use case?

We use 3PAR as our main production environment. Therefore, we use it for everything from VMware to our NAS solutions. It is used for complex business needs, because we also store all of our databases on the 3PAR as well. We have a lot of systems at the airport where I work. So, we have a lot of Oracle databases, which run a lot of core functionality. This includes the financial systems. We have a large maintenance program, and we have to track all of our maintenance needs. This is all done through an Oracle database. All of these databases are on the 3PAR. We have about 500 users. All of their… more »

• "3PAR is easy to keep running and does not require too much effort. It has been very reliable, which is key."
  • "The scalability is good because it is easy to add in new disks. We just add them on the fly, and they are available for use."
  • "I would like to see the ability to be able to migrate to newer versions of the 3PAR without having to take any of our data offline and be able to upgrade on the fly."

What other advice do I have?

Give the product a good, hard look, because HPE does a very good job. They are a market leader. They are not a small player in the space. You can be very comfortable when dealing with a company like HPE. It is doing everything that we want it to do. We are not that big, so we did not have a lot of crazy requirements. Therefore, it is doing everything we want it to do. The other big factor is that it is easy to use. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Price * Easy of use * Ability to have two arrays back each other up. In case one of them has a problem, the other one can take…
Herve Garcia
Director, Systems & Architecture at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Needs better support for iSCSI, as it was not designed for it initially

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a shared storage solution for a virtualized environment. It is not for complex business needs. It is really just for storage, and not even a very large amount of storage: between 20 to 40 terabytes. We have used it in three environments. We were not happy with the performance initially, because it turned out the system was initially designed for Fibre Channel, and we needed iSCSI. So, we used the iSCSI configuration option off of 3PAR. This was probably when 3PAR was purchased by HPE, but the performance were extraordinarily bad in terms of I/O capabilities. It took a long time to… more »

• "After being properly configured, it has been a very stable product."
  • "We would like to see better support for iSCSI."

What other advice do I have?

Be extremely careful if you want to use the iSCSI feature of the 3PAR. It was not designed for it initially. We were using low-end storage from HPE. I was hoping to get something a bit midrange in their storage, in terms of price with the reliability. I am still hoping that it will be reliable despite poor initial performance previously. As the problem was fixed, I am hopeful it would be reliable in the long run. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We need something stable and reliable in the long run. Our contracts are at least five years, and they can be extended all of the way…
Brian-Earnst
Enterprise Architect at Blessing Health Systems

What is our primary use case?

It runs all our tier one and two apps. Right now, we are replicating between two 3PARs and two different data centers. We use for our tier one and two apps, so they can do failover, synchronous replication. We have been running 3PAR for three years. It was running well until we tried to split our two 3PARs and put them into two different data centers. Then, we had a lot of problems.

• "We use for our tier one and two apps, so they can do failover, synchronous replication."
  • "The most valuable feature when we purchased it was that it was a four-node system."
  • "A lot of tasks, you have to manually set up. They need to already have them set up and working. Then, you can just go in and tweak them if you need to."

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate if the money savings is worth it. One of the problems that we have had is HPE spec'd it out for us. They underspec'd it, so this was one of our problems with performance. It did not have the amount of drives in it that we needed. Pay attention to what you are spec'ing out and make sure that it will meet your requirements. It is a good product, but it is very software driven, and it has some software problems. That will be our challenge going forward. Once we go out of maintenance, how do we keep the system up-to-date software-wise, if we have problems purchasing maintenance? Most…
SL
Manager, Data Center at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
It has improved uptime, as well as speed to delivery

What is our primary use case?

It is for mission critical storage. We use it to keep high uptime. We have two 3PAR systems that we leverage. Its performance is good. We have a lot of applications that have high I/O, and 3PAR handles those with no problem.

• "It has improved uptime, as well as speed to delivery."
  • "Its performance is good. We have a lot of applications that have high I/O, and 3PAR handles those with no problem."
  • "We did a firmware upgrade, and it brought the whole sandbox down. It was supposed to be done transparently, and that did not happen. It was not like we did it on our own; we had support set it up for us."

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate your needs. Prepare a cost comparison comparing it to what your needs are. Sometimes, you may not need a 3PAR if you are looking for secondary storage. You may want to go with Nimble. You need to look at what your requirements are, then make your determination that way. Most important criteria for selecting a vendor: * Price * Best of breed * Reliability.
GL
IT Manager at Judiciary of Neuquen
Easy to deploy and simple to configure the storage

What is most valuable?

I found it easy to deploy and simple to configure the storage.

Less than one year.

We have had no problems so far.

One of the points that moved us towards 3PAR was we wanted to escalate it in a very high way.

We have not used tech support often, but when we have, they have been clear with us.

We have already some IBM storage, but we are not happy with it. After checking out other models, we decided to work with 3PAR. Not only because we are familiar with HPE, but also the features combined well…
Tye Summerville
IT Operations Manager at ACCC Insurance
Workloads have improved in performance

What is our primary use case?

We are using 3PAR for production workloads, processing insurance policies and claims, file shares, and storage. It has been performing well so far. We have had a few hiccups on the configuration side, but we have been working with HPE on them. For the most part, the product has been pretty seamless.

• "We have our backups set up to replicate between two sites, then we also have our storage set up to replicate between two sites."
  • "Scalability is incredible. We have a single server cabinet today, but we can grow it to as many cabinets as we need."
  • "Sadly, the support from HPE has not been all that great. It is tough to get a tech out or get a response from some of the techs that we have."

What other advice do I have?

Understand your needs first. If you do not have a need for a highly technical solution, or you have workloads which are not high-performing. 3PAR is a perfect fit. Understand your environment. Know what you are getting into. Research the different tools which are out there. Make sure that it is a good fit. It is nice to have the high performance stuff, but if you do not have high performance workloads, keep it simple and 3PAR is simple for us. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Our biggest requirement was ease of use. Scalability was another. We can scale it up pretty much as big…
RajeshSrinivasan
Director at HCL Technologies
It is a rugged, performance system; it is trouble-free and a workhorse

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it for primary SAN storage. They have multiple business needs for their enterprise-class business, e.g., for high-end data processing, oil, and natural gas. We also have media customers, who are trying to use it. The businesses are predominantly all verticals who use it. The performance is awesome. It is one of the best storage products comparatively to like size competitors. I am a big fan of 3PAR.

• "It is a rugged, performance system; it is trouble-free and a workhorse."
  • "The availability of technical resources within HPE is becoming a challenge due to availability."
  • "3PAR needs to keep on increasing its capacity."

What other advice do I have?

Product-wise, it is good. In terms of cost, I will leave the choice to them. Most important criteria that our customers select a vendor: * Supportability * Scalability * Financing. The main reason that our customers choose 3PAR is because of price.
CS
Senior Systems Administrator at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
You can't beat its scalability. Just add more storage space when you need it.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for virtualization, vCenter, and infrastructure. We have simple needs. We are a very small shop and are not a technology company, but we do have mobile apps and websites that we provide to our customers. I am new with the company. I have only been there about a year now, but I understand that they have had this system for at least three to five years. The performance has been fantastic. It has not had many issues whatsoever, and what issues they do have, the support picks up on it quickly. They send us tickets saying that they are doing work without us even having to engage them. So… more »

• "I do not have to worry about cross systems talking to each other or multiple systems trying to interact with each other. Our entire vCenter infrastructure is one large stack, which is nice."
  • "The performance has been fantastic. It has not had many issues whatsoever, and what issues they do have, the support picks up on it quickly. They send us tickets saying that they are doing work without us even having to engage them."
  • "I would like to see a little better integration with OneView and provisioning ESX Hosts."

What other advice do I have?

Support is great. The hardware is great. Unfortunately, we are running on an older version. I would recommend taking a look at it. I have been looking at the newer options and technology. Not much has changed with it, so the expectations are still there that it would be a solid choice for somebody else.
Jeff Stone
Solutions Architect at Optio Data
The flexibility and ability to adjust to business needs is where its robustness is

What is our primary use case?

We target 3PAR because of the availability aspects that it brings with a synchronous replication. I work with a lot of medical and larger business organizations which are looking for the ability to run stretch clustering between data centers. If they lose a full data center, they can use this to flap over live without application downtime. This is probably the biggest thing that comes into play from an availability aspect. Then, there is also inherently a lot of the performance which comes with it. E.g., if I have a lot of high demand applications, it is one of those where the system, the… more »

• "It has helped a lot for times when our customers do DR testing. Instead of having to spin down and spin up, I can do it live and seamless. I do not have to schedule downtime with an organization."
  • "It all works in concert using Recovery Manager Central (RMC). HPE coordinates it all, so it is more of a solution instead of products trying to do things together."
  • "Feature-wise, with the InfoSight additions, there is a lot of the stuff missing in the intelligent interface. As they grow and push, a lot of it will not tie into Hyper-V."
  • "There were a few goofy things with support where we were trying to do OS upgrades and HPE MyRoom failed. However, they would not get on WebEx because they are only allowed to get on HPE MyRoom."

What other advice do I have?

They do great things. The system is great. It is just a matter of cleaning up some of the support stuff, then the enhancements that are not there yet. Hopefully, they are coming in with InfoSight. That is where it could be better. Never have blinders; everybody has their favorite product, but do not turn away from keeping your vision open about a solution. Keep that in mind when you are looking at a product. Most important criteria for clients when they evaluate a vendor: A lot of that gets into supportability. What do they have for a track record? How easy is support to work with? How…
MS
VP Infrastructure at a marketing services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, central storage point for our VMware

What is our primary use case?

It is our main point of storage for many applications. We use VMware so we have all the hosts connected to the 3PAR and that's the central point of storage for our whole organization. It's definitely critical, we can't live without it because that's where all the servers and data are hosted, on the 3PAR.

What needs improvement?

The interface to manage it could be improved. I was looking at OneView. Something basic like that should be available with the 3PAR. OneView has all the bells and whistles, all the features, but I think something basic and similar to that should be come with the 3PAR, at least for monitoring managing it.

Three to five years.

It has…
DN
Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stability is awesome. Its performance has been steady and it stays up.

• "Being able to snapshot things for backup purposes has been key. We do that on our databases four times a day."
  • "The ease of management is its most valuable feature. It is so much easier to manage storage on a 3PAR array than anything that we have had before."
  • "Stability is awesome. Its performance has been steady and it stays up."
  • "I would like to see a little bit more integration from a cloud perspective. In this way, I would have some more flexibility to do more with data, how to store it, and where I have it."

What other advice do I have?

They are very good, and I like the product.
CR
Director Technology Infrastructure at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Ease of management has cut our storage administration workload significantly

What is our primary use case?

It's primarily used as our primary SAN, storage area network. We store all sorts of data and VMs on that particular set of disks. It's for local data center usage. We have three data centers now, one in Atlanta, one in Dallas, one in Provo. We aren't doing any site to site replication. It's really just localized and we're trying to get to a point where we are actually doing site to site replication for DR and things of that nature. The performance is good. We enjoy it. We like it.

• "Valuable features include the intuitiveness of the SAN itself, a lot of the built-in logic and functionality, the tiering that it uses to determine what type of disk is best for the various types of workloads, and the automation that is built in. It's also easy to manage."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely learn the features of the product, what it takes to actually administer and manage it, what type of resource load is also required. It's not necessarily a tool that enables anyone who says, "Hey, we bought a SAN, go take it over." It really takes someone who has an understanding of and background in the tool, maybe even a little background with HPE. Just make sure you fully understand what you're getting into. I would rate it a nine out of 10. We've been fairly satisfied with the product, we haven't had any issues. It's definitely not something that you can easily jump into without…
    JH
    Supervisor Infrastructure at Blessing Health System
    Tech support is great, and that is for any of their team who has ever worked with us

What is our primary use case?

We use this for our highest tier level applications, our tier 0 through tier 2, so those are our mission critical and business essential type of applications. We want to make sure that we have the most critical things running on the best equipment that we have, and it is performing well right now.  We have been working with 3PAR for almost three years now. We leased two arrays, struggling with it a bit. However, HPE did right by us and provided the resources (people, hardware, and additional storage) to do what we needed to do.

It has been reliable recently. In the past we did not have very good luck with it the first year or so that we…
    MB
    Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    We have more uptime, better trade times, and less hassle opening tickets

What is our primary use case?

Low latency storage for production trading systems. We have multiple trading platforms which are trading different products regionally. The complexity comes when we are applying those trading algorithms globally. It has to be efficient in executing those trades, getting the right prices for the customers with the right spreads for the customer. You have every global FX currency that is present plus equities and future options. If you put all these things together, it gets quite complex. We have been extremely happy with 3PAR so far.

What other advice do I have?

I've had a great experience with it and I would recommend it to a colleague. I rate it at nine out of 10. It's a very stable platform, it's very easy to learn how to use, has an easy user interface, tasks are very simple for an admin. As I said before, you set it up and you don't have to worry about it after that. With HPE you're in good hands.
    ProjectD7fc0
    Project Development Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    You can mix SSDs with running and slower drives, minimizing cost but maximizing storage

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for 3PAR would be security video recording, and the security video is used for multiple purposes. In the healthcare environment, it will be used for real-time locating, patient wandering, infant abduction, asset tracking, and staff duress. Taking it to the next level of healthcare, in pharmaceuticals one has to keep track of the production and movement of products and retain those records for a period of two years, as per federal regulations. So now, we need multiple levels of storage: immediate storage, short-term, and long-term, with the data being kept for up to two… more »

• "Being able to provision drives on demand, as opposed to populating a whole stack of drives and not using them. In the latter scenario, you are locking your money in, you don't get a return on investment. On the fly, you can build up your storage as needed, so that's a very good feature."
    • "You can have SSD drives, fast disk drives, and slower drives, redundancy between drives, and hot-swappable drives on the SSDs, the faster hard drives, and the slower drives."
    • "From a single panel, I can see the performance of my service, my network, and my storage."
    • "It would also help if they integrate current technologies, newer technologies, and more efficient technologies, as time progresses. For example, integrate the fourth level of NAND devices."

What other advice do I have?

Go out, do your research first on the different products that are out there and make the judgment for yourself. The information is out there.
    CH
    Tech Director Data Centers with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It is flexible, and they have a convenient capacity model that works well for us

• "The tech support is great. If we have a problem, we literally will have boots on the ground with senior sales people, as well as the people to fix the problem, to help make sure we are taken care of."
    • "I need flexibility for interoperability across multiple platforms, not just HPE."

What other advice do I have?

We are happy with it. However, there is always room for improvement.
    DB
    Network Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    It is worry-free. I do not have to sit there and tend it.

What is our primary use case?

It is our primary storage. We use it with our VMware environment and all of our high performance applications are stored on it. I work for an equipment distributor, but we have various business lines: everything from earth moving to electric power generation. These are very different needs. Then, we have our accounting system which is on there, plus business intelligence. All these are different types of workloads. We purchase the 3PAR that has flash tier and we can migrate between the spinning disk and flash. It seems to work very well. It self-optimizes. I do not need to worry about it. It… more »

• "It has improved the ability of the executives to get proper insights."
    • "It is worry-free. I do not have to sit there and tend it."
    • "3PAR has StoreOnce and replication. I would like it if they worked together. Or, if I had Nimble and put that either in DR or a primary cohesive management, but still use the cool features of 3PAR, that would be awesome."

What other advice do I have?

It does a great job and I do not have to worry about it. It worries about itself. It tells me if there is something wrong. Go to Houston, the executive briefing center, if you can. It is very good because you get a very deep dive and you can ask questions to obtain information. I did it and thought it was helpful.
    WW
    Systems Architect at Greenville Health Systems
    It was straightforward, simple, and easy to set up for managing compute and storage

What is our primary use case?

I am with a healthcare system. It is for our electronic medical record. It has been fantastic. No issues.

• "The most valuable features for me are the simple management of the platform and its performance."
    • "It was straightforward, simple, and easy to set up, along with the OneView tools, for managing both compute and storage."
    • "It needs the addition of InfoSight, which is the most critical, along with predictive analytics and AI."

What other advice do I have?

It has been very beneficial for us. The most important criteria when evaluating a vendor: * Resiliency * The data replication features * An all-flash array * Performance.
    EH
    Principal Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Our applications are now at least two to four times faster

What is our primary use case?

It is for our IT. It is our kitchen sink; we use it for everything.

• "Our applications are now at least two to four times faster."
    • "It needs better dedupe. It is hard for all the older generation arrays to put up dedupe because they tend to do the other stuff so much better. They have to keep the stability before any other new feature."

What other advice do I have?

Just try it out. Do a PoC side-by-side. It wins. Most important criteria when evaluating a vendor: * The technical aspects of the price * The return on investment * The support. You are not making a decision based on just one or two things. If you are, you are not doing a good service for your company or your stakeholders
    JP
    Sr Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Peer Persistence and predictive analytics are key features in our deployment

What is our primary use case?

Virtual machine data storage. It's serving one specific business need. It is performing as expected. It hasn't been fully exercised as we're still moving production onto it.

• "The predictive analytics, where we're getting notifications prior to a failure has been helpful."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good solution. It doesn't come without some of its own quirks. We had a few struggles to get certain things working and HPE worked with us through them. Not everything was well-defined in the HPE White Papers. It definitely required working with HPE engineering and the solutions architects to get through that. That being said, the promise of what 3PAR was supposed to do for us, we were able to achieve that.
      Eduardo Fontanella
      Infrastructure Manager at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The solution, stability, and the performance work well for us

• "The solution, stability, and the performance work well for us."
      • "The newer versions have some other characteristics that we are not using. We would like to use them and set them up in our current version."
      RW
      Systems Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Allows us to mix drive spaces; the redundancy and tiering are also key for us

What is our primary use case?

VMware and SQL. In terms of performance, we had an issue with the earlier version, the 7400, an iSCSI issue. They replaced it with one from the 8000 series and it has been doing pretty well so far.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, make sure you know your workloads going into it and how you will best be able to utilize a solution, especially when deciding what disk structure to get and how to lay it out. Overall, I would rate 3PAR at eight out of 10. The biggest issues we had were performance issues with the older version, but this one has been doing okay.
      DG
      IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Provides us with robust operations although the product support needs improvement

What other advice do I have?

I rate the product itself at nine out of 10, but support gets a four out of 10.
      JL
      Manager Of Storage And Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
      I can provision disks and monitor the performance easily

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is primary storage.

• "It is very easy to manage. I can provision disks and monitor the performance easily."
      • "I would like to see the reliability improve. While it has been a good product, the QA of the product could be done a little more thoroughly."

What other advice do I have?

The performance is pretty good and the usability is excellent. The only thing which will downgrade it is the stability.
      AD
      Delivery Director at Schneider Electric
      Flexible solution, it streamlines our workload throughput

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is data retention. We also use it for test environments and deploy systems for customers as well. The performance from it has been excellent, from what we have seen so far.

What other advice do I have?

In our limited experience so far, it has been excellent. Support has been fantastic, the setup process was smooth.
      JN
      IT Architect at Oncor Electric Delivery
      Enabled us to consolidate down to a single platform which meets all of our needs

• "When we started using 3PAR what we liked was the simplicity of the product. We needed a higher performance storage and, in our support model, we needed to keep the simplicity of the storage architecture, keep it as clean and as manageable as we could."
        HR
        IT Manager at Maquinas Jacto
        Robust solution which provides fast access to our data

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided a robust technology which provides us with fast access to the data. This is one of the areas where it has improved our company.

What is most valuable?

3PAR is very fast and robust.

What needs improvement?

I have been looking into additional functionalities of 3PAR but at this moment we are very satisfied with the basic functionality.

It's stable. I can't recall any problem with the 3PAR technology.

It's scalable. We are creating a plan, with our HPE partner in Brazil to duplicate our 3PAR environment because for us it is very important. It's the base of…
        GM
        Manager Lab Operations at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
        VVols and Thin Provisioning are important in our development work

What is our primary use case?

It's for storage, provisioning to our R&D teams. The developers provision the storage and test their products. The storage is critical for our development.

• "They are using Ansible to automate the provisioning, so that simplifies the day-to-day operations."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend 3PAR or Nimble. Nimble is all-flash arrays, if you have the budget. Otherwise, we favor 3PAR, the 8000 and 10000 series. I rate 3PAR at nine out of 10 because of the provisioning, the interface; and now there is InfoSight. We are planning to integrate all our arrays. I see that as valuable.
          DV
          Director of Technology at a university
          We have yet to have a disk fail, and when there is an issue support has been fantastic

What is our primary use case?

It's the main storage system, both for the primary site as well as the DR site. We have complex business needs. Our business has multiple databases - both Oracle and SQL - an Exchange environment, Active Directory environment, websites, web servers, SharePoint. We have a variety of use cases - including development VMs for custom web apps - all being stored on 3PAR at the primary site. The DR site gets Veeam backups of the primary site, so we have the backup recovery on our other 3PAR.

• "So far, we have yet to have a disk fail on either system, other than one I forced to fail when we first got the system in. So the reliability of the 3PAR system has been outstanding."

What other advice do I have?

You couldn't go wrong with the 3PAR system.
            Wayne Cross
            Director IT Security and Infrastructure at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Very stable and scales quickly, allowing us to roll out new services

What is our primary use case?

We deploy 3PAR across all of our locations, Canada-wide. It provides primary storage. It covers complex business needs. All of our financial applications sit on it, all of our databases sit on it. We also use it for unstructured data storage, and we're about 95 percent virtualized so it runs all of our virtual workloads.

• "The most valuable feature is the uptime. It doesn't go down. You can do firmware updates on it, no issues."
            • "Integration with some cloud services would be nice... We would like to be able to provision from the 3PAR and decide whether or not we are going to provision onsite or the cloud."
            • "It's a very complex platform to manage and it's not cheap either. It doesn't really give us the level of flexibility we had for very, very small workloads."

What other advice do I have?

Anyone looking into 3PAR or a similar solution needs to know the direction that the organization is going, and they need to make sure that they are are working with a vendor that is going in the same direction as the business is going. With hybrid IT, there are so many flavors of platforms out there. There's hyperconverged, the cloud is also in the mix, you have edge computing. So if you are looking for storage, you need a storage platform that can take care of the now, but from a manufacturer with the vision to know where the technology is going, so you feel like you can future-proof that…
            MA
            SAN and Storage Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            Compression has allowed us to regain some data center floor space

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for 3PAR is for all our block storage. Our biggest consumption for 3PAR is for our hypervisors, VMware and Hyper-V. We're almost 90 percent virtualized and 3PAR fits the need for hypervisor environments very well. We got our first 3PAR in 2008 or 2009 and we're up to 71 3PARs now.

• "We're using the all-flash arrays and, with the deduplication and compression, it just really fits our virtualization environment very well."
            • "In the next release, I would like to see faster upgrades, where it's really transparent to our host and our end-users."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely check it out, especially in your hypervisor environments. That is where the compression has really been a huge benefit for us, allowed us to regain some data center floor space because we're now able to put more of the environment in a smaller number of 3PARs. It's almost a 10 out of 10 but the reason it's not is that some of the upgrade processes have been a little challenging, not always technically, sometimes services-oriented. But other than that, the product itself, the ease of use and the value it's provided for us make it a valuable asset for us.
            SD
            IT Manager at City Of Sparks
            Ease of use and reduced power consumption are among the key features for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it as our main data storage for everything from SQL Server, storage, databases, to all our virtual machines - servers and desktops - to file storage for everything: for the city's mapping. We use it for just about everything we do. The performance is amazing. It's been probably one of the best products we've bought in years.

• "In the next release, I would like them to make it a little easier to find where everything is in the new console. It now has the OneView look and sometimes I don't think the OneView look is enough. It's too different from the original console that was a separate system."
              • "Sometimes the required upgrades have been a little bit involved: "You have to do this before you do this," and I want them to explain to me why. It's more work than it should be."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is, look beyond the sales pitch. Talk to customers, and find out how they're really using it and how easy it is to use. Because, sometimes the sales pitches, in my opinion, it doesn't really get how people are using it day to day. I can't imagine not having 3PAR. We're very happy with it. I just bought more storage and actually bought another 3PAR which is being installed next week. We're continually adding on to it, and I would consider that one of the bests things we could do because you can never have enough space to put everything. I work for a local government. We now even now…
              RK
              Educational Team Leader at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
              MSP
              Completes the HPE solution for my clients

What is our primary use case?

3PAR completes the HPE solution for my clients. It gives them an environment that is straight HPE from a storage perspective, from a networking perspective with Aruba, from a compute perspective with Synergy. It completes the whole show with 3PAR on the storage side. The performance of 3PAR is beautiful.

What other advice do I have?

The HPE enterprise name is crucial for my clients when considering which vendor to go with. They have been HPE clients for a long time, many years. To them, this brand gives them confidence that the solution will work. They also have great local support from the HPE team and from us.
              SS
              Data center team lead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
              Remote Copy for DR is a key feature for us

What is our primary use case?

Normal file storage, SQL databases, Cache databases, and replications to our DR instance. The business needs it covers for us are not highly complex, only a little. Performance is good. We've had some issues with doing virtual volume updates using Snapshots. We've had some issues with the dedupe garbage collection process as well. Supposedly those have been addressed with the latest OS update that we've yet to apply.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend evaluating it. Depending on what you need for your business, it could be a good fit. It has been rather stable, other than the couple of hiccups that we've had. Once we've gotten through those, it has been rock solid for us.
              CF
              Global manager, servers and storage at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
              We're able to replicate data between our sites very easily, and performance is excellent

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a primary storage device for user data and applications. It covers complex business needs in our organization. We have a lot of secure data on there. A lot of our financial applications run on our 3PAR. It has been excellent. We've got a 7440c at my office and then we have two 8000 series at the other sites. We're using Adaptable Optimization, we've got the different tiers of disks. We find that the performance is excellent, really excellent.

• "The biggest benefit is the fact that it's pretty much bulletproof; we never have any issues with them."
              • "I would like to see more flexibility with the cloud. I've actually just been in a presentation about it, here at HPE Discover 2018, so those features are coming."
              • "It's still an older architecture, you've got a lot of physical spinning disks. I would imagine more the memory-based computing is coming."

What other advice do I have?

* Get a proof-of-concept * Draw a list of testing criteria * Have a testing matrix * Be clear in your objectives 3PAR is a great solution but it has a big physical footprint for the amount of data. There are other solutions out there. If you don't necessarily require the performance and the redundancy, there are other things to consider. But, it's a really solid storage appliance. I would give the 3PAR an eight out of 10. Because we don't have any issues with it, it's hard to complain about it. But obviously giving it a 10 out of 10 would mean that there is no work to be done. I give it a…
              BH
              Unix Admin at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
              Makes us more agile - I can move it to another server in a couple of minutes

What is our primary use case?

3PAR is our main storage solution that we use for anything and everything, mainly Oracle right now. But we also have different db8s as well flute.com on our 3PAR. We have a number of different things on it. It's outstanding, it works like a champ. We have been using it for about 15 years. We have a T400 sitting in the data center right that I'm trying to get up off of. We've been using 3PAR for quite a while.

• "We're able to move things around with more agility. I can take it off one server and slap it on another in a couple of minutes... And the speed is outstanding."
              • "I really like the new RMC (Recovery Manager Cental) software that was introduced with the 3.0 or 3.1 update. It allows us to use our data protector with our 3PAR and give it a nicer front-end than the SSMC did."
              • "You can scale it out almost indefinitely."
              • "I'd really it to be able to interact with older 3PAR storage, and possibly even non-HPE. I would like to be able to pull stuff off of old things and bring it up to the standard that has been set, simply, quickly, and efficiently. That would be a really nice feature. Right now it is a big pain. It seems to work but we tend to get some latency behind."

What other advice do I have?

I would give 3PAR an eight because, first, I don't think anything is ever a 10. It's still really good - but since 9 is really close to 10, and that's almost perfect - it's about an eight. The reliability is really there. Once it's there, it's there. You don't really have to worry about it, which is really nice because we have enough things to worry about.
              Scott Samowitz
              Director Of Information Technology at Jacobsen Construction
              Streamlines our storage purchases, improves performance

What is our primary use case?

It's our primary storage for our VMware environment. Performance has been excellent. We don't have multiple business needs. It's just focused on our virtual storage.

• "Multi-tier storage was the primary reason that we bought it. I also love the interface that you use for administering it."
              • "It has been very stable. We've had very minor issues, but I've loved how HPE is proactive on letting us know. Usually, they let us know before we notice it ourselves and they already have a solution for us. It has been great that way."
              • "The only drawback on it is that tech support seems really busy. We get a critical notification when an important patch comes out, but sometimes it's a month before we can get this critical piece on because they just don't have time on their schedules to do it sooner."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate 3PAR a nine out of 10, primarily for a couple reasons. First, we've never had problems with it. It has been super stable, it has done everything that we've wanted it to do, and the performance is great. Second, I never give anything a 10, because there are always improvements that can be made.
              PP
              Sr. Storage Architect at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
              Peer Motion makes data migration easy

What is our primary use case?

We use about 40 percent of our workload in 3PAR. We have 3PAR 7400, V-Class series. We use dynamic tiering, so we have a mixed workload, SSD Fibre Channel and Nearline storage. In terms of performance, it has been a little bit up and down, but overall there isn't much to complain about. It's because we have the Nearline storage, so that doesn't perform well. That is the reason we have SSD and Fibre Channel tiering. We use Adaptive Optimization and that helps us to improve certain applications using those high-performance tiers.

• "I would like to see more cloud-based integrations and more file storage capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10 because the product just works; we haven't had a lot of problems. I'm satisfied with the product. 3PAR is a proven, more reliable and stable SAN solution. Go with it.
                DN
                Engineering Services Manager at Muckleshoot
                When you add drives into it, it automatically recognizes them and spins them up

What is our primary use case?

We using it for our core compute (storage). We have had it for about two years and had zero problems with it.

How has it helped my organization?

Less management.

What is most valuable?

Dynamic disk pulling Ease of storage creation

In two years, I have had no downtime.

Scalability is excellent. It is easy to add drives. When you add drives into it, it automatically recognizes them and spins them up.

One my engineers used the technical support, and they walked him right through the upgrades on the controllers.

Which

JS
                Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                The initial setup, with computing and networking, was like a greenfield scenario

What is our primary use case?

It is our primary storage array for our virtual environment. We implemented it in the beginning of 2016. It has done well for us.

• "We went to an Active-Active data center, set it up to where both data centers are separate, but they act as one. We can have workloads at either side at any given time, and it is all based on the Peer Persistence architecture."
                • "We have had a few issues with it. We had our virtual environment lock up a few times on storage-based things. We think we have it sorted out, but maybe it came down to a configuration issue on it."

What other advice do I have?

We have fewer limitations, but there are still limitations that we have work though. Overall, it is a good solution. We set out to do something very specific with this, and that's the stretch metro cluster. A single VMware cluster across two data centers acting as one, not a lot of people do it in the way that we did it. I am not sure I could advise somebody unless they were doing the exact same thing. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Speed, scalability, and the ability to support a metro storage cluster environment.
                RM
                Systems And Storage Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                It has given us the performance and stability that we require to run our enterprise

What is our primary use case?

We use 3PAR as the primary storage in our environment for all our Tier 1 applications. We have been using it since 2015. It has performed well. You guys have gotten a lot better with the 8000 and 20000 series.

• "The most valuable features are their tight integration with VMware, their multi-node architecture, and their copy services, such as Peer Persistence."
                • "I would like to see NVMe support, not only on the disk side, but also in the NVMe over Fibre Channel."

What other advice do I have?

Nine out of 10 times, the system does exactly what we need it to do. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Knowing that the product works. We like to choose bigger companies. We do not like to invest in startups because you never know if they will be acquired. We have a good existing relationship with HPE, which was a lot of what steered us toward using them in the storage space.
                JW
                Virtualization Systems Administrator at a university with 10,001+ employees
                We do not have to take the whole system down to do upgrades

What is our primary use case?

It hosts our virtualization platform. It works really well.

• "We do not have to take the whole system down to do upgrades."
                • "With the support that our organization has, I can talk to someone right away if I have an issue. It has been very good."
                • "During the initial setup, it was a bit complex in the wiring of the cages."

What other advice do I have?

I am not on the latest release yet. We are still trying to get there. The people that I work with at HPE have recommended where we should be in our version. We are not to the 3.3 version yet. I am looking forward to upgrading, because you can do them yourself. You do not have to have HPE do them. Also, it will integrate with InfoSight, which I am looking forward to. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: In our case, price is usually the biggest factor, because we are a university and have no money. Price is always big when we make a decision.
                JD
                Director at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
                Improved our transaction data performance as well as overall capacity

What is our primary use case?

It serves as our centralized storage for three tiers of storage, and we have half a petabyte. It performs very, very well.

• "Resilience and reliability, unmatched. They take good care of us."
                • "I would like to see compatibility with NVMe."
                • "The setup was complex from the perspective of the employees having to go through five days of training. If they simplified the administrative process of maintaining the unit, that would go a long way."

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of 10 because administrative functionality requires five days of training.
                SrEngine62c7
                Sr. Engineer at a leisure / travel company
                Helps With More Than Just Serving Data, But Also With Recovery

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for 3PAR is virtualization, SQL Server data, and backup logs. We also use it for our Citrix VDI environment. We have been using 3PAR for two years. It has been performing as expected. We are actually getting ready to invest a big chunk of money to expand our 3PAR.

• "It was the easiest SAN that I have ever set up."
                • "It has helped with more than just serving data, but also with recovery."
                • "This system has been (by far) the easiest to use, manage, and expand."
                • "I would like to be able to deploy and manage 3PAR within OneView Global Dashboard so we do not have to use the interface for 3PAR."

What other advice do I have?

This system has been (by far) the easiest to use, manage, and expand.
                Infrastr6155
                Infrastructure Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                Backups of our large volume of SAN-level Snapshots has been phenomenal

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for 3PAR is our EMR application. We're in healthcare. We also use it for virtualization. The performance is excellent.

• "When we bought it, the big sell for us was what they called "wide striping", how they striped the data and could get performance on a cheaper disk. Nowadays, the newer models that are out, which we are going to in the next couple of years, the most valuable feature is mainly being able to achieve such high IOPS in such a small chassis."
                • "In new releases, I'd really like to see it more targeted towards hyper-converged. They are working that way with Greenlake and integrating their own "build your own" expansion environment within 3PAR."

What other advice do I have?

My current 3PAR, three years ago I would have rated it a 10 out of 10. Today, just because it's aged, I'd give it a solid seven. It's because the drive architecture has changed over the years. Comparing it to the new ones that are out... it comes back to "better, faster, stronger." Without me spending another six figures to swap out hundreds of terabytes of storage, I can't get the added performance. It comes down to me making a critical decision of, "Okay, how do I balance my current IOPS, deliver what I need to deliver to my customer, and still meet the budget?"
                KB
                Storage Service Architect at NNIT
                All-flash is the most innovative way of using storage

What is our primary use case?

We use 3PAR as a shared platform for services, applications, and databases.

• "All-flash has been the most innovative way of using storage based on the 3PAR platform."
                • "The new feature sets, like deduplication and compression, are complex to work with. I hope when I view the roadmap that they will be less complex."
                • "We have had some bad issues on stability."

What other advice do I have?

Do some benchmarks on it and compare the requirements for whoever will be installing this product.
                Assistant Technology Director at a tech services company
                The optimization features move chunklets or hot spots to faster drives, but the management interface is not intuitive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is SAN for VMware hosts for hosted VMs for a K-12 education environment. Also, some space that we provisioned for security camera storage and backup targets.

• "The optimization features move chunklets or hot spots to faster drives."
                • "The 3PAR tool is cheaper to maintain with more storage available."
                • "The management interface is not intuitive."
                Branimir Kusanic
                Head Of IT Data Center at a consumer goods company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                Overall performance is great, and support tells us of problems before we are aware of them

What is our primary use case?

It's our primary storage and we are using it within two of our datacenters with replication between them. Actually, that part is currently being implemented. Overall, performance is great. Personally, I'm fully satisfied, even when we had some problems, failed disks or some bug in a software version, HPE would always be fully proactive. They would actually tell us of the problem, even before we were aware of it.

• "Extending is not a problem, scalability is okay. But once you buy additional box of disks, you have to wait for HPE to contact you with their plan for implementation, for connecting, and it can take several weeks. So, you have the box and you have to wait for several weeks to actually implement it."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of the most important criteria when selecting a vendor - I'm saying with a small disclaimer, I'm saying this personally, so it's not the company - for me, the most important is always vendor support. We have, of course, contracts with partners that implemented the solutions, but I think that vendor support is mandatory in the way they are supporting you through the lifecycle of the product. It can overcome any problem the technology may deal with. I give it an eight out of 10 overall. Whenever I rate something, I'm immediately going subtract one because I'm really reluctant to give a…
                  it_user784074
                  Operations Department Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
                  Thin provisioning allows us to satisfy customer requests yet maintain space for others

What is our primary use case?

We use the 3PAR as a centralized storage system where all of our data for production, mission critical data, are consolidated on that storage.

• "Previously, we were using EVA from HPE. When we moved to 3PAR, we noticed a reduction in footprint, reduced by more than 30%. We use the Adaptive Optimization, giving us a reduction in cost and with better performance."
                  • "I would like to see more virtualization: storage virtualization, data virtualization would be very nice."

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor, or what we appreciate most about a vendor, are * support * easy to reach * trust. If you want a cost-effective solution, go for 3PAR. We did a PoC and found it effective.
                  it_user784065
                  Product Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
                  Provides speed, and the deduplication features have huge potential

What is our primary use case?

Right now, we are finishing the proof of concept stage. We're using it as a data store for a virtual infrastructure for telephoning applications. Thus far, it's met all of our expectations and has actually has exceeded them a bit. Once we got it up and running, it seems like it runs pretty rock-solid. There have been a couple hiccups here or there related to how some of the fault tolerance features work. But overall, it's performed very well.

• "Since it's being used to support a virtual infrastructure, that gives us access to all of the benefits of a virtual infrastructure. So, instead of spending hours trying to rebuild or to fix a broken server, we can instead wipe it out and throw up a new one and we're up and running again."
                  • "I like the speed capabilities that it provides. The deduplication features definitely have some huge potential. The latest firmware, where they've enabled compression for workloads that aren't very good for deduplication, I can definitely see huge potential there."

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criterion when selecting a vendor is support. We're in the telephone sector, or carrier sector. If we have an outage it's going to impact millions of people. So sitting on hold for 15 minutes isn't acceptable, especially when it could mean 911 calls aren't being made. That's really key, we need to be able to get to someone who knows what they're talking about immediately. So far, we haven't had that huge of an issue with HPE hardware. I give it an eight out of 10. Still extremely good. Way better than most. A couple rough edges that could be buffed out. We're about 90% of…
                    it_user784104
                    Senior Systems Analyst
                    It is easy to scale, easy to manage, and easy to configure

What is our primary use case?

The primary uses are for the server environment and for the file share system. This how we store our files. This is what we mostly use the system for. Performance is amazing. The downtime is almost none. It is easy to manage, even for their new software updates, the integration with the server, and with all the HPE environment.

• "It provides ​very fast deployment. The performance for our most critical applications is very quick."
                    • "Thanks to HPE remote IT assistance, they can do the updates with the configuration in best-case scenario."
                    • "It is easy to scale, easy to manage, and easy to configure."
                    • "HPE has a product that I am very interested in, but it lacks of integration with 3PAR - HPE SimpliVity."

What other advice do I have?

If he has HPE servers, I would totally tell him go with HPE 3PAR. If he has another company's servers, I am not 100% sure about the compatibility with other products, but for management and for configuration, I would recommend 3PAR. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * The integration with systems that we are going to use. For example, our server environment is HPE. The first that we think about is something compatible with this and easy to manage. That is why we choose HPE. * The performance and even their views. When you check those consultations, reports, HPE is ahead in…
                    it_user427308
                    Data Center Manager

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is Oracle, VMware, and Citrix. Performance is good, but our main scope is to have high availability.

• "It is very stable. That is why we bought it.​"
                    • "We have additional space in the enclosures for additional disks, so we can scale up without any downtime."
                    • "I would like them to improve it so I can do firmware upgrades without downtime."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Support is very important for us and the reaction time when we have a problem.
                    it_user563436
                    IT System Engineer
                    We have been running faster and more efficiently since it was installed

What is our primary use case?

3PAR 8200 is performing good with our environment. I have a lot of applications that need higher IOPS, and 3PAR achieves this operation normally without any issues for the management.

• "I have a lot of applications that need higher IOPS, and 3PAR achieves this operation normally without any issues for the management."
                    • "I benefit from the HPE Call Home feature. It tells me about any issue once I have it."
                    • "Would like to see ​some management functions through a web interface.​"

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Support * Widely used in the market.
                    it_user784023
                    IT Specialist
                    It is fast and stable. It is really helping us a lot in terms of data store.

What is our primary use case?

It is performing great. We are using it for our data store and everything, so that is 3PAR mainly using it. It is a school, so we use the management system and all the virtual machines on the 3PAR.

• "​It is fast and stable. It is really helping us a lot in terms of data store, etc."
                    • "The Call Home feature is really a great feature, so I do not need to monitor the 3PAR. The 3PAR team is monitoring it and letting me know if there are any problems."

What other advice do I have?

Go for 3PAR, straight away as I am very happy with this product. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: As a school, we always have low budgets. We are a nonprofit organization. We do not have too much budget, so we care about prices, discounts, and especially about the product quality. The last 16 years, we have been an HPE customer. We are very much happy with HPE products.
                      it_user783987
                      IT Manager at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
                      Resilience, redundancy, and speed of the system keep our end users happy

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is our new datacenter. We're using it to increase performance. It's performing really well.

• "Having moved over from a lefthand, which was seven or eight years old, there's a massive boost in performance. It has definitely improved the speed, the responsiveness, of all our applications."
                      • "Generally, the management of the multiple systems that we have is really the only problem, always having to go to all these separate tools to manage everything."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are * reliability * availability of parts. I give an eight out of 10, from working with it and using the features, but also seeing what some of the other competitors have out there. One of the big ones is Pure Storage which I was a big fan of. So, they were the competitor to the 3PAR, as well as Nimble, which was obviously acquired. It came down to costing as well, in the end. But to be fair to the 3PAR, it wasn't comparing like with like. It was comparing an all-flash array with a hybrid 3PAR array. Try to decide quickly. Have your criteria…
                      it_user783981
                      IT Operations Manager
                      All-flash performance means that we can host more VMs on a smaller virtual volume

What is our primary use case?

We're using all-flash 3PAR to set up a private cloud hosting platform within our company; so for the amalgamation DCC work, bringing smaller datacenters onto the sites. We use that as our primary storage. We use RCG technology to replicate across our two datacenters. It's seamless. We've had no issues at all.

• "The Remote Copy Group is amazing for the replication stuff."
                      • "We also use dynamic optimization to go between tiers."
                      • "We can quickly see performance per CPG and per LUN. You can drill right down to see actual performance to the virtual volumes themselves. That's really good."

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to selecting a vendor we're pretty much an HPE house. But I think the options you have to expand - within the storage space - you've got to have all those options. Especially performance. I think that's what we're looking for. And the support, as well. It's an eight out of 10. It's pretty solid. We've had a few problems. But, from a performance point of view, our customers are very happy and so are we. I'd take a serious look at it. I think 3PAR is a great product.
                        PaulMarshall
                        Infrastructure SME at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                        The GreenLake Flex Capacity has allowed us to grow as required

What is our primary use case?

Mass storage. At the moment, it's performing very well, but we need to look to expand and innovate.

• "With the HPE GreenLake Flex Capacity, we can grow as required."
                        • "We would like to see the ability to not only be integrated with hybrid IT, but on-prem."

What other advice do I have?

This is just my initial view, but I'm going to give it eight out of 10. I need to do a lot more in-depth research into the product and how it's going to benefit Aldermore Bank. Stick with what you know and rely on your instincts.
                        it_user568167
                        CTO at Bank J. Safra Sarasin Ltd
                        All-flash makes our apps faster, but occasionally it reboots and we don't know why

What is our primary use case?

It's used as online storage; for almost all applications we have one. Performance, in general, is good.

• "Good performance because it's an all-flash system. Basically, our applications run faster."
                        • "Sometimes control is rebooting and nobody knows why, so there are issues."
                        • "It's a little bit difficult to figure out where the capacity is used. There is deduplication that, of course, saves space, but it sometimes it's hard to find out where the space is used. If you delete something, do you get it back? So it's not very transparent regarding capacity."

What other advice do I have?

There are several important criteria when selecting a vendor: * quality of the products * the technology * cost of the solution, of course. I would give it a seven out of 10, overall. It's a little bit difficult to figure out where the capacity is used. There is deduplication that, of course, saves space, but it sometimes it's hard to find out where the space is used. If you delete something, do you get it back? So it's not very transparent regarding capacity. In general, the solution is good.
                        SD
                        IT Manager at City Of Sparks
                        Ease of use, low power consumption, and expandability make it awesome for us

What is our primary use case?

We use 3PAR for storage of all the city's data, everything from videos of sewer lines, to orthophotos for our GIS system, to storage of our databases, data in general. It's performing awesomely.

• "We saved a ton of power just turning off our old one when we went to the new one."
                        • "We've had some issues when we were trying to upgrade, doing some firmware upgrades."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the most important criteria for us is ease of connectivity. I also like the fact that I know Hewlett Packard Enterprises. I've worked with them for a long time. They're very reliable. I give it a 10 out of 10 because it's just been awesome. We have four 3PARs running our enterprise, the city. Don't be afraid. It can do just about everything you want to do; for a small/medium business, to a large business. I'm running a small city and all our storage is 3PAR.
                        it_user784056
                        IT Manager
                        MSP

What is our primary use case?

I am from Dubai. We are one of the major system integrators in Egypt. We have customers using some other EMC Storages, and they have some performance issues. When we introduced the 3PAR Storage, mainly for the virtualization, they were very happy, because it is very useful for the performance and utilization points. The customers have been very happy since we introduce them to 3PAR Storage.

• "I am a system integrator, so we sell a lot of 3PAR storage to our customers. Our business has increased compared to previous days."
                        • "The support is really fast. There is very good support for 3PAR storage."
                        • "For virtualization, the failure rate is much less compared to traditional storage where you need more hard drives"
                        • "As a management tool, it would help us to have more customer reports."

What other advice do I have?

We highly recommend HPE 3PAR, plus the latest other storage solution from Nimble, too. We highly recommend 3PAR to all our customers. We are replacing lot of other vendors (EMC, even Dell). We are replacing a lot of storage solutions with HPE 3PAR. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: I am a partner. Even though, we are partners with HPE, we are also partners with EMC Oracle, but we prefer HPE. With HPE, the support, reliability, and credibility are much higher than with any other products.
                        it_user784035
                        IT Architect

What is our primary use case?

The primary case is the utilization of VMware, and it is performing well.

• "​We have much better performance than we managed earlier and are now saving lots of space.​"
                        • "We are waiting for compression."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: stability. That I feel I can talk to the vendor and they understand what I want.
                        it_user783909
                        System Administrator Team Lead at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
                        We have built a DR solution based on this solution, minimizing our downtime

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our main production system, for SAP, and also for SharePoint, Microsoft products. We have a good relationship with HPE, but we still have some challenges in the Arabic implementation and in migration, but for daily work, it's fine.

• "We built a DR solution based on this, we can sustain our business for any amount of time, 24/7."
                        • "We have had some challenges in the Arabic implementation and in migration, but for daily work, it's fine."
                        • "Needs more flexibility and expansion, and also relocation, a cloud solution."
                        • "We have issues with scalability because 3PAR has limited storage capacity, so we have to invest more after a while."

What other advice do I have?

What is most important to me in a vendor is that when I need them there, they're available. I give it an eight out of 10 because of scalability. HPE is a full solution, and they have a bigger scale for everything. You can build something cheaper when you combine companies, but there will be problems after a while with support and troubleshooting. Everybody will blame the other.
                        it_user783903
                        Manager IT Infrastructure at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
                        We like the Virtual Volumes and how we can do thin provisioning

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly for our virtual environment. Performance-wise, it's pretty good. You can't say we have the high-end version, but the one that we have does meet our requirements. Overall, we are happy with the performance.

• "We like something called Virtual Volumes and how we can do thin provisioning."

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are * stability * after sales support * cost. The experience that we have had with HPE is pretty good. Product-wise, it's good. It differs from environment to environment. What we require, for the criteria of our environment, is met quite well. I would say do a PoC. Have a look at the solution. It's pretty stable, scalable. I don't see a problem, why anybody should not go with HPE. They've got multiple solutions in terms of storage also. 3PAR is not just a single solution. They have, they can cater to a hybrid. A lot of things are there…
                          it_user784020
                          Systems Engineer at Ajman
                          We use a virtual domain to create pools for our clients to manage their own storage

• "It's advantageous in terms of the cost, in terms of the performance, and taking up less space."
                          • "We use a virtual domain in 3PAR and we can create individual pools where clients are able to manage their own resources, instead of we, as storage admin, getting involved in that."
                            it_user784014
                            Senior Manager Of Infrastructure at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Remote Copy functionality supports our disaster recovery project; amazing performance

What other advice do I have?

Because we are so happy with 3PAR, it's so reliable for us, for the moment we don't see any move to Nimble storage. It depends on the strategy from HPE. They will probably combine the two storage technologies; I don't know what will be the future.
                            it_user783984
                            IT Engineer at Al Kamal
                            The thin provisioning, data protection, easy deployment, and great support are pivotal for us

• "I think the storage is very good, the way it stores, the thin provisioning it provides, and the data protection. And it's easy to deploy in any environment. We are using VMware. So for me, it's a right click and it's deployed. We can configure and create LUNS very easily with 3PAR management, and the interface is very user-friendly. Easily understandable."
                            • "Proactive support. Before we notice that there's a problem in the storage, or any part, any hard disk, they already notify us, and within four hours, the product is delivered. Within the next hour after product delivery, the engineer is available to support me."

What other advice do I have?

I think HPE is the best because of the after-sale support they provide. Not all companies provide that much support. I don't want to name any vendors on this, but some vendors, when you have a problem they will tell you, "Our engineer is not available," or "The product is not available," or "The part is not here, it will come in two weeks," and that sort of thing. But HPE support, I feel it is the one. Within four hours, the product is delivered. Within the next hour after product delivery, the engineer is available to support me.
                              it_user783960
                              Systems Engineer
                              No single point of failure; alerts give you time to plan the fix, the replacement

• "If you design it right and implement it right, it's headache free. Just keep it there and it does what it's suppose to do."
                              • "Whatever failures you have, there is no single point of failure. So, any failure, you get an alert, you have time, you plan the fix, the replacement, and so on. So your operations are intact."

What other advice do I have?

When looking to work with a vendor I would look for manageability features. Monitoring, central monitoring, alerts, mass deployment, functionality. If you have one server, two servers fine, but if you have 100, these pay back easily.
                                it_user783942
                                Senior Manager at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
                                Reliability, the right combination of features, and server architecture are the keys

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the installation as part of our customer solutions. We are not end user, we are integrator, and we are using it in big IT infrastructure projects for our different customers, mainly for NATO.

What is most valuable?

They are reliable. They are fulfilling their requirements. They have the right features for our customers. It's the overall combination, together with the complete architecture of the servers from HPE.

What needs improvement?

There's nothing at the moment. Everyone is pretty happy.

More than five years.

From our perspective, and from our experience with the customer, it's a really stable solution. We have no problems with…
                                it_user783933
                                Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                                Extensive command line enables drill down on performance and statistics, but compression and dedupe need work

• "OneView is a nice interface."
                                • "The command line is very extensive, a lot of tools so in comparison to other vendors. It's one of the great things about 3PAR, that you can really drill down on performance, get statistics, really know how your system is internally performing."
                                • "We are still waiting for the compression feature to be deployed."
                                • "We need longer names for our volumes. Now it's only 28 characters. It should be 64, or at least more than 32 characters."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it about seven out of 10. It's not bad but it's also not the best. We had some issues, now they are resolved, but one issue existed for a year. We needed to migrate everything, and all the extra work needed to be done by our VMware colleagues, and they would not be so happy if we ask again to transform something. Also some things were promised, like turning on/turning off dedupe and compression on the fly. But now it will create another one, compress, and then migrate it via the VMware tools. So we are really depending on vMotions. We wanted to remove the load from our VMware colleagues…
                                it_user783921
                                IT Manager at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
                                Stable and scalable, Care Packs provide great support

What is most valuable?

It's pretty stable and scalable. I think we've only had a couple of issues, three disk outages in six years.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any complaints.

More than five years.

It meets our needs for now.

We have Care Packs for 3PAR and we are very satisfied with this part. On the C7000, we have six-hour auto repair. They're very proactive, so we are very satisfied with that service.

I'm not working with 3PAR directly. I'm a manager. But from the experience of my employees, I don't see that they have any issues with complexity. To be honest, we have a senior…
                                it_user783918
                                IT Manager at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                Performance is good, it's cost effective, and we've had no downtime

What other advice do I have?

When we look to work with a vendor we look for * response to our calls * affordability * that they have been in the market many years * the cost. I rate it an eight out of 10 for the reasons I've already mentioned: the affordability, the speed.
                                it_user783906
                                Procurement Management at Mubadala
                                Scalability is the main purpose, that I can scale out, keep adding more modules

What other advice do I have?

When we look to work with a vendor we look at their reputation, and along with that is the way it can be scaled up. Also, the new technology innovations which can can be added to your portfolio must be excellent. That's where we started off moving into HPE. At this stage I would rate it somewhere around eight out of 10, because there were some initial challenges in finalizing the design, etc. Now we are looking into the cloud solution as well, so we'll see how that goes.
                                it_user783900
                                Cio
                                It's not only about buying something, it's the support and the service you get

What other advice do I have?

Because we are a university, it may be that our IT is more sensitive because the whole learning process depends on the IT services. So any problem, even for a short duration, would cause a big headache. I give 3PAR an eight out of 10. I'm happy. We are happy. We cannot give it a perfect score because they need to improve more. We always we need to push them.
                                it_user500049
                                Systems Architect with 10,001+ employees
                                MSP
                                It has a powerful tool to measure data, how it is working, the performance, and if we have any bottlenecks

• "It has a really powerful tool to measure data, how it is working, the performance, and if we have any bottlenecks."
                                • "​It is a really stable product. We have not had any major issues at the moment."
                                • "The main problem for 3PAR​ right now is cost.​"

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We look for reputation. Also, we want to have confidence in the product. We want to know a product has been deployed for a lot of customers. So, we are looking for a mature product as well.
                                Team Lead for Infrastructure at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

High resiliency with four controllers, no performance impact on single controller failure Cage protection Performance Easy to use and maintain

What needs improvement?

Failover times.

Three to five years.

Yes, we have had a few issues with stability.

No, we haven't had any issues with scalability.

Very good but not perfect.

HPE does the initial setup (hardware and initialization) which makes things much easier. Using 3PAR is simple and straightforward, unlike its competitors such as EMC.

What's my experience with

it_user539658
                                Researcher
                                Better performance and we're able to use fail-over and load-balancing at different locations

What other advice do I have?

Everything works as expected but, as stated above, we are still in the process of migrating our data from our old storage.
                                it_user567747
                                Technical Support at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                Gives us the speed and stability we need for internal and public-facing apps

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to choosing a vendor, the primary criterion is support. When you have an issue, you need to immediately have a solution; it's a 24/7 application. For example, suppose we are going through patching, and something we don't anticipate comes up, I suddenly find an issue. I never saw that in my lower environments, and now production is impacted, so we create a severity-one ticket. How soon will it be resolved? can I trust it? That's number one. There may be some custom solutions we may be looking for that are not part of the product. Depending on what type of solution it is, we may…
                                it_user567792
                                HPE Alliance Manager
                                Links our 12 remote ports into one centralized datacenter

What is our primary use case?

All of our servers are HPE, and it links all of the 12 remote ports that we have in Saudi Arabia, so we have only one centralized datacenter. It is the building ground of Saudi Ports' authority, to be honest.

What needs improvement?

The backup batteries, the WPS, could be better. We have two different vendors that provide the WPS, and HPE is one of them. When we had the outage we shut down the entire thing and tried the backup generators. The electricity was out for 20 minutes and the HPE battery didn't last 10 minutes.

A little over a year.

The stability is good. We had one incident where the downtime lasted less than 30 minutes. So I would say that it is…
                                Storage Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                It has given us higher performance over our servers and applications

What is most valuable?

It has a real active-active architecture, so one volume is served by both controllers with the processing advantage of a central global cache. It is easy to manage with the management console. It is always on with cache software.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us higher performance over our servers/applications, which work better now than with our previous storage system.

What needs improvement?

It needs more host ports.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

We have had no stability issues.

There have been no issues with scaling it for our needs.

What other

Enterprise Infrastructure Architect at loanDepot
                                There is a performance hit for a few hours/days every time you add additional storage. The initial setup is okay.

What is most valuable?

This product does not impress me anymore.

What needs improvement?

This solution should have better reporting and alerting. Deduplication and compression should function without a performance hit. The 16TB LUN limitations should be fixed.

I have used this solution for over seven years at many different companies.

There is a performance hit for a few hours or days every time you add additional storage until the additional storage is added to the pool.

The main issue is the 16TB LUN limit. This bug has not been addressed for years!

I would rate the level…
                                it_user662934
                                Head - IT, Product Engineering & Service Delivery
                                Meets with almost all the business requirements. It needs to be hardware independent.

What other advice do I have?

Nowadays, we should look for software-defined storage rather than such OEM dependent products.
                                it_user683205
                                Systems Architect at a university with 10,001+ employees
                                Provides Veeam integration and the ability to set I/O limits.

What other advice do I have?

We're not fully pushing the envelope on it, but there are no complaints. Everything's good, the team has been good from the support to the setup to the post-support setup, to we've actually opened a ticket to do their firmware upgrade part. They gave us the plan and broke it down as to what they're going to do and when they're going to do it. Things have been good.
                                it_user694674
                                Storage specialist, Infrastructure Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                The replicate, peer persistence, and recovery manager work really well.

What other advice do I have?

I usually say look at the weak points in a system. 3PAR is great since it does most of what is boasts about in a good and mostly satisfying level. So the weak points in this system are quite high compared to a lot of other solutions. They tend to get good technology integration into the product, even though it sometimes takes a while. For instance, compression only came out now in the latest OS version.
                                it_user694695
                                Senior Technical Services Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
                                Systems respond quicker and customers do not have to wait as long as before.

What other advice do I have?

Remember, the initial setup only covered the default configuration, you have to know what you need before you know which configuration settings suit you the best. Hardening is another issue. All the SSL options, default password, and cipher suite are other issues which we looked at very carefully.
                                it_user693831
                                Project Manager at a government with 11-50 employees
                                Automation of the failover allows the IT department of the hospital to improve the availability of systems.

What other advice do I have?

Don't buy either the oldest or the newest technology!
                                it_user368739
                                Integrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                We can now virtualize our environments and bring in all storage into those environments.
                                it_user368673
                                Director (business) at Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications
                                The most valuable features for us are the switches, which have either 24 or 56 ports, and their connection to the blade servers.
                                it_user331356
                                System Administrator at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
                                Our data security is greater and our system works faster, and we're able to manage storage with a user-friendly console.

What is most valuable?

Simple management console with ability to manage storage (files, blocks, objects, functionalities) that's user friendly. High-availability and resiliency Data security (RAID system on global level (disks = modules))

How has it helped my organization?

Data security was greater and the system worked faster.

What needs improvement?

There were no areas for improvement a that time.

I used it for one and a half years, before I moved companies.

No issues encountered.

How are customer service and

Sales Channel Manager at Portenntum
                                The most valuable features are price and becoming certified.

What other advice do I have?

Of course, you should go for it. We are an HPE shop and we have to focus on that. We have to focus more on the competence and less on the financial considerations.
                                it_user680229
                                Wintel Engineer at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
                                IOPS, reliability and the value that it adds to our organization are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product.
                                it_user680235
                                Senior Systems Admin at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                The deduplication and compression features allow me to buy less storage to fulfill my business needs.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t have any second thoughts and just go with it. It's really a great product and should fulfill most business needs. It is easy to use.
                                it_user680223
                                Senior Tech Engineer at St Charles health
                                It allowed us to put storage in remote facilities without purchasing a complete SAN solution.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you're looking at everything that's out there and that 3PAR has come a long way.
                                it_user252609
                                Senior Network Engineer at Colonial Savings
                                Manageability and reliability are the most valued features.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very reliable product. I would advise them to get it.
                                it_user684996
                                Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                It has simplified the management of the array.

What other advice do I have?

For their own benefit, they really should consider 3PAR. It's so reliable, functional, has great support from HPE, and it is tied into so many of the HPE family of products. It is a great piece of hardware.
                                it_user680247
                                Senior system administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                Provides ease of setup and connectivity to our server environment.

What other advice do I have?

Work with HPE and the sales team. The HPE sales team has been great to work with. They offered a great solution to us.
                                it_user680190
                                System Admin at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
                                We're using Peer-to-Peer for two data centers and having that fill over is what we really needed for disaster recovery.

What other advice do I have?

Probably, you should purchase the CS700 all-in-one storage, so that it's easy to implement it that way. Don't try to do it yourself.
                                it_user684999
                                Storage Engineer at Syniverse
                                We added this solution to our organization because of its price-point, speed and performance.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. We like it so far and haven't been unhappy with it.
                                it_user680313
                                Solutions Architect at Derive
                                Data optimization is the most valuable feature of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it. The reliability, scalability and support are the important criteria whilst selecting a vendor. We've been with HPE for a long time and we'll stick with it.
                                it_user685005
                                Consulting Manager
                                It allows us to deliver more storage than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. The trends in storage solutions have been going through a lot of changes. They are not as centered on basic storage. They are moving to local and multiple nodes of storage. These storage-defined solutions have been evolving a lot over these last couple of years. It will be a harder decision to choose between one or another vendor.
                                it_user680334
                                IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                The post-implementation service is the most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

They should buy it of course.
                                it_user680211
                                Engineer at CT Internacional
                                It is easy to implement and manage.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is fast. I’m very excited about it. It's very easy to implement and manage.
                                it_user680301
                                Network Admin at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
                                The OS and UI are straightforward. It is manageable inside OneView and it is attached to Synergy.

What other advice do I have?

I say try it out. There are a lot of test drives of all their solutions. Look at the UI. See how well you can integrate with your existing systems and talk to the HPE guys. They are willing to show off all their technology and all their solutions. We are very interested to see what HPE starts to offer in terms of integrated Nimble all-flash storage solutions. We’re also curious if HPE are going to introduce anything to augment an existing 3PAR system (ie; are they pluggable modules or expansion hardware that can take advantage of new Nimble-powered low latency, fast access flash storage?). And…
                                it_user680250
                                Systems administrator at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
                                It has been easier to provision storage and it has been faster using it.

What other advice do I have?

Read the best practices guides.
                                it_user680232
                                Director of Network Services at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
                                The most valuable features are performance and support.

What other advice do I have?

I still think it is the best solution out there. HPE will help support issues or even upgrades.
                                it_user680214
                                Network Server Admin at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                Some of the valuable features are cost per disk storage, uptime, and ease of upgrade.

What other advice do I have?

Go with it. It's a beast of a storage system. We love ours. When looking for a vendor, the most important thing is support.
                                EG
                                Sales Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                                It supports mixed workloads and is virtualized.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a bunch of mixed workloads and you have an environment, it'll support most customers' solutions. You can get a lot more storage in a smaller footprint, so for your data center, power cooling, and OPEX, it's a good solution.
                                it_user485697
                                Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                                The most valuable feature is the way they've taken into consideration the tiered storage aspect of it.
                                it_user485052
                                Senior Technology Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                                We've only had a couple of problems with them.

What is most valuable?

They work reasonably well. We've only had a couple of problems with them, and HPE knows about the problems.

What needs improvement?

On certain of their features that we have to use to migrate data, it tends to go off for about 60 or 90 seconds toward the end of the work.

The stability is pretty good.

It's scaling where we need to go. The issues we have are more the application not scaling. Application design issues, not hardware issues. The hardware will go further than our application will.

Initial setup was relatively straightforward.
                                Infrastructure Architect at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                Allows for configuration and use of disks that help us to define both disk performance and availability.

What other advice do I have?

* Make sure that you are trained on the nuances of 3PAR technology if you select this Storage Area Network. * There are many useful features and you need to leverage them to lower the total ownership cost while easing the management of the device.
                                it_user567840
                                IT Manager at Rádio Renascença
                                The most valuable features are integrity, performance, and stability.

What other advice do I have?

If you buy 3PAR, you will have a good and stable solution for your business.
                                it_user567753
                                Global Head of Server and Storage Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                It can provide different endpoints with different amounts of scalable storage.

What other advice do I have?

When picking a vendor, the ability to execute on time and deliver on time is most important.
                                it_user568101
                                Owner at Serit IT Partner
                                You can mix cheap storage with expensive storage.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise colleagues to buy the flexible capacity that HPE provides with 3PAR. When we selected HPE, our most important criterion is that they cooperate well with us.
                                it_user567984
                                Infrastructure Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                It is reliable and easy to administer. It meets all the requirements we have for storage systems.

What other advice do I have?

We needed to invest in a new solution because we moved out entire data centers. I used to be at HPE, so we had to take HPE solutions. We are very confident with them. Now in the new company, we are going to set it up exactly as it was in HPE. We made HPE come faster to the market with a solution that is market proven. We didn't want to have any additional risks. If a colleague was looking for this or a similar solution, I would recommend they use it.
                                it_user561069
                                Network Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                It has had multiple drive failures, including one that completely crippled our business until it was resolved.
                                it_user567699
                                IT Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                The peer persistence solution provides us with a viable disaster recovery solution. We can do failover and upgrades without interruption.

What other advice do I have?

We have had nothing but a good experience over the last year. I would advise colleagues to go with HPE 3PAR. The most important criterion when I choose a vendor is reliability. Reliability is very important to me. When there is an issue, I need to be able to count on the vendor.
                                it_user567990
                                Category Manager at a government with 501-1,000 employees
                                The deduplication features and compression are helpful to me.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest to sometimes be disruptive in the choice of storage solution and don't always focus on the continuity. Sometimes discontinuity may help. When picking a vendor, reliability is important. Stability is important as well, but in the matter of looking at the future.
                                it_user568047
                                Storage Engineer Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                We like the reports provided by the management console and the web-based interface for some parts of the monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

You need a good service contract. HPE has a solution called Datacenter Care. If you are a big, critical customer, then you should get this type of contract.
                                it_user568014
                                IT Systems Manager at City Electrical Factors
                                Capacity, scalability, and reliability are valuable to us. It is modular.

What other advice do I have?

We currently use the P4000, which is iSCSI. We will go for the fiber channel next time, which we have been comparing with the 3PAR. When choosing a vendor, their reputation, and obviously the quality of the products, are important. HPE is pretty consistent with these.
                                it_user567951
                                Senior Infrastructure Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                The scalability and the support are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

I think that it's a more mature product now, so you’ll probably have a better experience; but certainly do your homework on your actual workloads and what you need. We initially got a solution which died all the time because we were trying to get too much output.
                                it_user567906
                                Department head Data AOS with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                It is easy to use and has good response times with no latency.
                                it_user568020
                                Bankprokurist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                                Latency is low. Technical support is on time.

What other advice do I have?

I have experience with HPE since 1996. I'm a member of "Connect". I know HPE better than I know IBM. Some HPE solutions are very good. In terms of performance and digital equipment, they have very good knowledge in some types of IT. HPE tries to be visionary, but I don't think they are. Perhaps they have the right products today, but the whole world is changing. I could help a colleague who is making a decision by showing him our HPE solutions. I could explain what we have done and why.
                                it_user568029
                                Head of Infrastructure and Security at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
                                It is proven and integrates well with HPE BladeSystem infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

It all depends on what you need, and how you can justify the cost. It is not a cheap solution. It depends on what you have. If it's a brand new setup, then there are other paths you can take, and it's worth researching them. If you already have HPE deployments in-house on the server side, not the storage, I think 3PAR will definitely make a very great addition to your portfolio.
                                it_user567900
                                IT Architect at Bolagsverket
                                For roughly the same cost as mixing traditional hard drives with flash, we got an all-flash solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you want Sun or old fashioned good storage optimization technology, then 3PAR is very, very good.
                                it_user567807
                                CIO at Bruggs Cable
                                Allows us to have an active-active scenario. They are fast, easy to manage, and easy to extend.

What other advice do I have?

I would say go for it. You should at least give it a chance.
                                it_user567876
                                IT System admin at Imeldaziekenhuis vzw
                                Setup was straightforward, it has never been down, and I can scale by adding more shelves.

What is most valuable?

It is affordable and trustworthy with high availability. It has never been down since I’ve been using it.

What needs improvement?

Everything I need is in already, but we could maybe use a bit more monitoring to get more insight into performance and where the bottlenecks are.

It is very good in terms of stability.

The scalability is nice. I need to expand the system by 70 TBs this year, so I just added more shelves. That's pretty easy.

I'm doing it all by myself.

We were using a slower solution, and then it went down a few times. So we…
                                it_user567777
                                ICT System Engineer at Universitätsspital Zürich
                                I can convert data from any storage type to any other storage type.

What other advice do I have?

Go and play. We have a lot of offices and backup sites so they can really get hands on. That's the benefit.
                                it_user567717
                                Technical Project Manager at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                The most valuable feature is its tiered approach to data structuring. We can quickly move data from slow disks to faster disks.

What other advice do I have?

We have a global HPE agreement and it depends on the sort of size of projects and whether or not we issue and RFP when we got to other suppliers. If we do issue an RFP, then we're not tied internally to working with HPE. We can work with whoever we think's best for the requirement. But because we have such a good close working relationship with HPE and because they attend industry events, I'm always key to recommend to some of our peers and our colleagues around the world that they should be looking at this or that particular product. 3PAR's good from a medium-sized to large-sized enterprises…
                                it_user567729
                                Systems Analyst at Turku PET Centre
                                Scalable image storage tool that is easy to manage.

What other advice do I have?

All of the products with every vendor have their strong points. The strong point for HPE was that we had used HPE before. We were able to transform from the old system (EVA) to 3PAR, and that was the main reason at that time we switched. Now that we've been using it, we know a lot more.
                                it_user567732
                                IT Manager at Turku PET Centre
                                For us, the most important feature is reliability.

What other advice do I have?

We like the system, so I can suggest to a friend that 3PAR is okay.
                                it_user567666
                                Connect Germany at Westfälische Wilhelms-University
                                Good integration between hardware and software. Efficient storage solution.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of choosing a vendor, there is a mix of capabilities. You need to find someone who is proven in the field, in general. But if you want to go for latest products, we bought a 7400 even before it was announced. There is nothing in the field. You have to have good partners with whom you can work and with whom you can speak. It only becomes apparent over the course of a project how well of a partner you chose. If you have a product where you spent several million Euros, there's nothing that will work on the first instance. There's not anything that will work, but there are some things…
                                it_user568179
                                Storage and Virtualisation Analyst at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                You can set it up and let the system tune itself. Scales better than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say are the main two qualities vendor must have is good product and good technical support. Obviously, they must also have a reasonable price. 3PAR is reliable. Although it takes a little bit of time to get set up, once you get set up, it runs itself. The other nice thing about it is that, the 3PAR scales from small to large nicely. Not like other vendors where you have to have several solutions for different size environments.
                                it_user567645
                                CIO at Vanheede Environment Group
                                Speed, capacity, and deduplication in a stable HA solution.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, stability and a proven track record are the things to look for. I would absolutely recommend it. When you need fast storage, high capacity, and deduplication, it's a good solution.
                                it_user567576
                                CIO at Equra Health
                                It offers a variety of disk types at different price points and speeds.

What other advice do I have?

I have heard of a solution called "Clear" or something like that. If you look at them, trolley-for-trolley, or pound for pound, I think that HPE 3PAR is probably the best system around.
                                it_user567555
                                Managing Director at Lanware
                                A quality product with all the latest advances in technology which you would expect from an all-flash array. The real-time replication over distance has been a long time in the coming.

What other advice do I have?

Absolutely get the design of the system right. Work very closely with the right pre-sales technical teams. If you don't, it can be expensive to try and rectify that after you've bought it.
                                it_user567642
                                Broadcasting Technologist at a media company with 10,001+ employees
                                The features I like are the reliability, the cost, and support.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, look for reliability, backup, support, and reputation. It's got to be someone we know who has a good reputation in the industry. We do go with some newer sort of vendors as well, but we like HPE for their reputation. We know their stuff is good because we've been using them for years.
                                it_user567591
                                Section Manager at a government with 501-1,000 employees
                                The flash disks make our storage system faster.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the vendor’s support and the setup; the benefits. HPE is great.
                                Philip Sellers
                                Solutions Engineer at AmWINS Group, Inc.
                                It was primarily brought in to replace our EVA with something that was more capable from a performance perspective

What other advice do I have?

I really love that platform. It's rocked for us. It's, like I said before, it's near nirvana for our environment, because we are trying to do something where we want to avoid disasters and have seamless fail-over, and I don't know of another solution that can accomplish that in our environment.
                                Senior PreSale Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                Convergence with the HPE/VMware ecosystem​ is a feature we've found valuable.

What other advice do I have?

3PAR made its success by scaling down enterprise systems to the mid-range level, which was not typical for the storage market. Although no one cares about inventing something cheap, HP did it with 3PAR and succeeded. But my advice would to try it! It's cool.
                                it_user252639
                                Senior Systems Engineer - Storage and Virtualization at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                It's reliable and it's fast.

• "It's reliable and it's fast."

What other advice do I have?

To pick a solution, we generally create a matrix and then fill in what we want out of the product. We pump in vendors and choose whoever meets the targets that we set. I would also advise that users follow best practices with the 3PAR.
                                  it_user476301
                                  Director - Data Centre Operations at MCAP
                                  One of the features we use is Peer Persistence as part of our code DR strategy. OneView licensing has been somewhat cost prohibitive for us.

What other advice do I have?

Really understand what your needs and requirements and future expectations are. Every vendor has a product that fits in the same market space, whether it be Dell, IBM or HP. I think it's really about what your long-term expectations and goals are. With 3PAR for example, if a lot of your underlying infrastructure is HP, it might make sense to go that way, to maintain that consistency. From a management an usability perspective, the full integration components, everything from your Blade, your Interconnects, your storage, your management platforms. Almost all the major vendors now are doing some…
                                  it_user481920
                                  Storage Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                                  Having the volume sets is a lot more efficient than we do on some other systems, so it's easier to group by host.

What other advice do I have?

Know that the raw usable is actually raw and not a lot of arrays come with their usable being RAIDed already. Say it says 270 terabytes, that's raw, and it's actually if you use a RAID5 you got to take a 20%. So you have to adjust for that when you're planning size. Everything else is straightforward.
                                  it_user486621
                                  Systems Engineering Manager at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  The benefits are the integration with the rest of our system, including solutions for system administration.
                                  it_user485712
                                  Senior Datacenter Specialist at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
                                  I like how easy it is to use for users who don't do storage admin every day.

• "From my perspective, it's really easy for me to be able to get in and do any troubleshooting with it and it's very consistent."
                                  • "Upgrades on them are a bit tricky. For us to do a head swap on one is a full outer joiner storage frame, which is obviously not that easy to do in a production environment."

What other advice do I have?

Either go all Flash or at least a mix of flash and near line, you don't want to just get locked in with just near line or SaaS, because you're going to get locked in with slow disk and it gets really hard to upgrade after the fact.
                                  it_user484947
                                  IT Manager at Continental Currency Services
                                  It's not really that complicated as long as you have the basic knowledge on how SANs work.
                                  it_user477453
                                  Sr. Manager Enterprise Services at a venture capital & private equity firm with 501-1,000 employees
                                  Competitive cost when compared to the EMC solution.

• "The reliability. We're able to replicate our array to our DR site with minimal work. It's just turn it on and we're ready to go. It reduces risk for the business."
                                  • "Our support in the US has been phenomenal, no issues at all. But the European support was poor initially."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it over anything. It's a great array; the cost was very competitive; the performance is great.
                                  it_user471279
                                  Senior Systems Engineer at a university with 10,001+ employees
                                  We're using deduplication a lot so getting a return on our investment there is great.

What other advice do I have?

Get 4 nodes at the start. I would say that's important. Plan more long term rather than what you need now. Get the licensing and nodes you need upfront, makes it easier to expand later.
                                  it_user470361
                                  IT Director of Technology at Resorts World Las Vegas
                                  We got a lot of IOPS and a lot of throughput with it.

What other advice do I have?

In a converged environment, 3PAR is a very good product to look at. There's a lot of good competition out there with NetApp and EMC VNX, but 3PAR is right up there with them. It has features and performance.
                                  it_user471384
                                  CIO at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We chose to go with it because it runs on OpenVMS.

What other advice do I have?

I would also evaluate others hard. We use Pure Storage in other areas a lot.
                                  it_user471405
                                  Technical Advisor - IT Service Management (ITSM) at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
                                  The storage necessary for applications meets the customer's expectation, or internal customer expectation.
                                  it_user469275
                                  Chief Digital Officer, Director at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                                  We made the decision to purchase it with the view for growth, and we know we'll just plug another array or another stack pretty quickly.

What other advice do I have?

Think about the next 10 years, where are you heading. Personally, I say HPE's a pretty strong organization. They send the right messages, saying the right things. They seem like a very digital company which is all about customer, and that stuff matters to me, whereas some of the competitors, they don't have that mindset. Cisco definitely doesn't have that mindset. I really think long-term about. Sure, Cisco had a lot more features, but we didn't really need them. So, that made the decision easier. For me, when I think about HPE, think about longevity. You want to invest in technology, you're…
                                  Network Analyst at Central CUSD #301
                                  The ability to delegate and control every aspect of the storage array has allowed us to split the workload safely.

• "The overall quality of the product is fantastic. Advanced Optimization is one of the best features I never thought I needed until I actually used it and saw it in action."
                                  • "The management console could use some work. All the functionality is there, of course, but it can be hard to find some features or do certain tasks."
                                  it_user370131
                                  Head of IT Architecture at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  One of the most valuable features for us is that it has a tiered architecture which we were able to easily adopt into our IT infrastructure.
                                  it_user370125
                                  Head of Global Engineering Computing at Siemens
                                  We can decide which portion of our data will be stored on SSD's and which will be stored on disc drives.
                                  it_user368793
                                  Storage Admin at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We can quickly move our large volumes and check or test something, and if it's not faster with SSD, we can just move it back.

What other advice do I have?

We're really happy with 3PAR as it performs very well despite a few failing discs, which is normal. Upgrades went well and we haven't had any outages. We'd recommend it to others.
                                  TR
                                  CTO for Microsoft & Infrastructure Platforms at Amey
                                  The most valuable feature for us is the ease of 3PAR's scalability. The tech support structure is also not as clunky as with other organizations.

What other advice do I have?

If you speak to your techies, as opposed to your managers, and ask them how easy it is for them to use and understand 3PAR, they'll say it gets a 10/10. The techies get it and they love it.
                                  it_user367782
                                  Director of ICT at a government with 501-1,000 employees
                                  We can deploy new servers and new solutions pretty quickly. If systems are stopped while the record picks up that they're starting to fail, we can add more resources to them quite dynamically.

What other advice do I have?

Spend as much as you can on HP support for the product. Don't rely on it being all in-house.
                                  it_user364635
                                  Senior IT Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We're able to tailor it to our needs, including the GUI, which makes it easy to use.
                                  it_user364536
                                  Infrastructure Specialist VMware/Server with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Scalability is the most valuable feature for us.
                                  it_user364521
                                  CIO at Anadolu Medical Center
                                  We need speed, and this provides it. We have strict SLAs, and 3PAR allows me to put the right people together very quickly.

What other advice do I have?

If it is a first time investment, it's no problem. If it's a migration, then you need to take care of the migration risks as well. There should be no data loss because migration is risky.
                                  it_user362331
                                  Senior IT Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                                  With the reporting, we get needed information about how much and where we're consuming storage.
                                  it_user362307
                                  Senior Server Engineer/Service Owner at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
                                  I use the reports when I want to see performance, like how the discs are performing and how the AL is moving data to and from tiers.

What other advice do I have?

Plan what the I/O needs are. You need better statistics before you buy something. Really plan to see what the loads are.
                                  it_user362250
                                  ICT Infrastructure Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  The older and newer HP systems mesh together well and we've been able to move data from the old to new easily.
                                  it_user361944
                                  Server and telecoms services team manager/ITSM Expert at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  There are regular updates with the software which bring out new features.
                                  it_user334911
                                  Sr. Unix Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  It's reduced the amount of time that I spend administering storage requests. This allows us to keep pace with the ever growing amount of storage that our users require.

What other advice do I have?

Work with your HP pre-sales people to determine which model of array will best satisfy your requirements. I've had very good relationships with all the HP technical and pre-sales that I have worked with over the years.
                                  it_user330981
                                  Storage Team Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  We've standardized with it as it's a good combination of equipment, support, and implementation staff. The only issues we have had are with deployment.
                                  Storage and Backup Engineer at Fidelity Investments
                                  All the disk drives in the system are used for data, since parity and spares are at the chunklet level. I'd like, however, a unified system with the same controller serving both SAN and NAS solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It has met our performance and stability expectations. 3PAR is one of the best in the market and it is evident that its sales have raised to 10x since it was acquired by HP. All cloud solutions from HP and many other companies use HP 3PAR storage on their backend for their cloud solutions.
                                  it_user331335
                                  Database & Hosting Team leader at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                  It is designed around the ASIC which eliminates the CPU bottleneck, although a better user interface compared to the current PC-installed client would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

3PAR is designed around the ASIC which eliminates the CPU bottleneck and RAID limitation in other vendors. We would say 2-3 years. Always purchase at the year end of the vendor to obtain the best pricing and also purchase the maintenance in advance, for example I purchase with 5 years maintenance included. HP regularly organizes events which are good to go to as they announce new innovations and share other customer experiences.
                                  it_user285930
                                  Senior Manager, IT Infrastructure & Operations at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Video Review
                                  It's a very simple solution to manage. I haven't yet had the opportunity to have two units mirrored over my data centers.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of a rating from 1-10, I’d say a nine and I’m not gonna give you a ten until I have at least two units mirrored over my data centers. I think that’s gonna get me a ten, but bottom line is simplicity. With a lot of the competing arrays you really need to have a team that-that’s really eager and motivated to go and configure this array and try some of the obscure features. I just don’t have time for that. I need this thing up, I need it running, and I need it now, and with 3PAR we’ve been able to achieve that objective and keep our cost per terabyte in line. My one recommendation is we…
                                  Sr. Director, R&D Labs at Nuance Communications
                                  Video Review
                                  When we need increased performance, we buy multiple arrays and distribute the loads across all the storage arrays. A really nice feature would be a software-defined storage option.

What other advice do I have?

So the criteria we use for our products is always about performance, latency, and cost. The reason for that is as a high performance computing environment, we want to get the most of our hardware. The tests we run against the hardware are typically tests that most people don't run. It's heavy duty, long amount of time, and HP was the most reliable in our tests, and also the best performing. Considering the amount of issues we have with it were pretty much zero. It's a very good price. There's a lot of innovation going on. There's a lot of support, but there's always room for improvement, so……
                                  it_user248730
                                  Sr. Systems Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
                                  Video Review
                                  We're able to dedupe on a CPG level, yet I would like it to have better integration with VMware to show volume levels.

What other advice do I have?

Specifically with flash, I would say don't believe the hype of other vendors that say they can save you money by deduping and that was their go to strategy. With 3PAR, they can do the exact same thing and it's a lot more scalable on an enterprise level and you'll pay about the same amount of money. Don't apply the latest technology, even though they say it's vetted and tested. Just in case, dedup was a relatively new feature. We deployed it believing in the reliability of the 3PAR and it ended up being a problem for us. Wait until a couple of cycles have ended. Let customers that do that vet…
                                  it_user285342
                                  Group CEO at LayerX Group
                                  Video Review
                                  It's dynamic, allowing us to change our mind at each layer of the technology stack.

What other advice do I have?

So most recently, we have implemented the all flash or the entire flash-based 3PAR 7450, and the roadmap towards making that decision was really around performance. We've always kept a couple of keywords close to our heart with relation to our branding, and performance is one of those, quality being the other. And so the all flash environment has enabled us to deliver on promise with regards to performance.
                                  it_user285333
                                  Director, IT Services at University of Auckland
                                  Video Review
                                  The most valuable features to us are the automatic failover and the peer persistence. As we grow our data quite significantly, we're still working on scalability.

What other advice do I have?

It just depends on what your requirements are. You've got to match your requirements to the system you need. Very important, we do reference checks. We do make sure we get all our requirements. We do comparisons. We've got pretty strict procurement requirements and we stick to those.
                                  John Askew
                                  Systems Architect at The University of Auckland
                                  Video Review
                                  Once we got comfortable with the product, we found it to be very stable.
                                  it_user285357
                                  Infrastructure Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Video Review
                                  Due to the fact that performance is key for us, we like the ability to see real time statistics and historically analyze metrics

What other advice do I have?

It pretty much does almost everything we're looking for. I think they've got a good road map for the future. Recommendations to peers - It really depends on what you need. If you're looking for something that can scale well and protect your data across multiple sites, we've got visibility into the performance metrics. That's the sort of stuff I'd look at. Do they have a vision for file and object based storage, is that coming? How does it integrate with back up products and archiving.
                                  it_user294933
                                  Storage Technologies Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We are able to replicate our LUNs from one 3PAR device to another.

Valuable Features

The best feature is how easy it is to use.

Improvements to My Organization

We are able to replicate our Logical Unit Numbers (LUNs) easily from one 3PAR device to another. With our old SAN storage, it was either too complicated to do LUN replication or not available at all.

Use of Solution

We've used it for three years.

No issues encountered, and we have deployed two F400s, two 7400s, and one 7200.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

For the most part straightforward. HP had an engineer available onsite for one week to help with setup and any questions that we had.
                                  it_user285345
                                  Enterprise Architect at Alliance Resource Partners
                                  We Needed A New Storage Platform In Order To Properly Upgrade Our ERP Solution

What other advice do I have?

In comparing HP 3PAR against really EMC and some of the others, the ability to kind of maximize the actual storage. So thin provisioning, the ability to use all disc realistically across the storage system from an IOPS perspective, rather than your traditional monolithic, to where you're isolating storage groups and raid groups to particular LUNs and that's all the disc they have, so your spindles are limited, you move away from that. At the same time, our ability and our need realistically to transform the raid or the stripe size, our IO kind of dictated that at times, or our lack of…
                                  it_user285360
                                  Director, IT Infrastructure & Architecture at SOCAN
                                  I Was Looking For A Flash Solution That Would Allow Us To Scale

What other advice do I have?

There's always room for improvement. You know, maybe two years from now we'll be seeing flash costing, 10 cents a gigabyte or something like that. But, no, we've been extremely happy with the solution. My team that manages it and as well as my customers, being the business and the application developers are all very excited about what flash can do for them, for their workloads. What I recommend to other people looking at all flash solutions, I would take a look at not only the company that's selling it, but the background of the technology itself. There have been a lot of flash startups, a lot…
                                  it_user289656
                                  Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                                  We were able to consolidate disparate storage environments into a single chassis with multiple connection types.
                                  it_user252618
                                  Enterprise Systems Administrator at a agriculture with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  I found the product to be easier than others to administer because it’s virtual storage that aggregates all the disks together.

What other advice do I have?

Support and service is a big one for us, we needed good support. Also, we had to make sure pricing was good. For our purposes, it’s the best SAN that we have found. The things that keep it from being 10/10 are things like Peer Motion and the back end service. Unless you have a very specific kind of load that requires a super high-end array, which 3PAR is not designed to be, I would recommend you look at HP, as there’s a very wide range of what HP can cover.
                                  it_user253314
                                  Systems Engineer IV at a media company with 10,001+ employees
                                  Stability has been the greatest benefit. We've also grown several times without scalability issues.

Valuable Features:

Ease of Use Performance Stability Tiering

Improvements to My Organization:

Stability has been the greatest benefit of the solution.

Stability Issues:

Stability is great.

Scalability Issues:

Scalability is good as we have grown the area several times without an issue.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was straightforward.

Other Advice:

I would recommend the solution to anyone, but check into your environment.
                                  it_user251226
                                  Senior Storage, Virtualization, and DR Engineer at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What other advice do I have?

We were looking mainly for IOPS. We have a lot of SQL, so IOPS was important to us. We also wanted tiering to move things in-between tiers easily. Come to the shows and get demos. Get your hands on it.
                                  it_user251871
                                  Storage Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
                                  We’re getting the performance that we need and it's easy to manage.

What other advice do I have?

I think that the most important criteria when selecting a vendor is the business need and the reliability to make my job easier. I need it to be fast and efficient and be able to get graphs and reports from it. Definitely look at 3PAR as it’s a great piece of hardware.
                                  it_user252609
                                  Senior Network Engineer at Colonial Savings
                                  We were looking for a solution to improve latency. We also needed a new solution because our Dell Ecologic was down often.

What other advice do I have?

Look for something that is expandable and reliable. 3PAR is great.
                                  it_user252627
                                  Sr. Solutions Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  It’s a good, solid product with ease-of-management.

What other advice do I have?

We always look for ease of use, and 3PAR is very easy to use. From my experience with other storage platforms, if you want something where underlying hardware is designed with a goal and you rely on pre-existing hardware around which you build your product, you’re setting yourself up for failure from the beginning. It seems to me that something like 3PAR, where it’s designed around a specific product, just makes life so much more easier. You’re essentially setting yourself up for success with a product like 3PAR.
                                  it_user252639
                                  We value this solution for its performance and manageability.

What is most valuable?

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor for Flash Storage is partnership. Additionally, we value this solution for its performance and manageability.

How has it helped my organization?

During the migration process, we have had to troubleshoot less than in the past.

The stability is fine. We put disks in the system a couple of weeks ago, which went off without a hitch.

We haven’t had any issues with scalability

Customer Service: We haven’t had any issues. We wanted white-glove treatment and that’s what we got. Technical Support: We haven’t had any issues. We wanted white-glove…
                                  it_user253320
                                  Infrastructure Systems Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We previously used equipment with capacity limitations, but 3PAR is expandable on demand.

What other advice do I have?

We look at cost and scalability. We’ve had room to grow as needed based on demand or business needs. We now have 1500 global users. You should look at 3PAR as it's flexible, stable, and provides the growth and stability you need from a storage solution.
                                  it_user253332
                                  Manager Information Technology I at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                                  We're pleased with the scalability and that we're notified when updates come out.

What other advice do I have?

When deciding on a storage vendor you need to look at IOPs and scalability. I would recommend 3PAR; we tell everyone everyday. It beats Hitachi and EMC (Clarion) hands down. We would recommend them over all those solutions.
                                  IT-Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  The wizard guides you through the installation process and the possibility/feature to move data across tiers (AO) is great.

What other advice do I have?

I can clearly see a trend of implementing a full flash array instead of the traditional 3PAR hybrid solution. Why? Well, the cost of SSD is dropping steady and the $/GB is less than FC disks when using deduplication, which is to this date, only applicable on SSD tier. You will not only have lower $/GB, you also significantly increase the performance, stability, and durability. For a smooth start-up, make sure you have done a valid assessment in your environment before implementing a new 3PAR. Read about the different software that 3PAR can offer your business.
                                  Chris Gurley
                                  Federal Civ/Intel Engineering Lead at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Top Reviewer
                                  Measuring Up: EMC XtremIO and HP 3PAR
                                  Leading up to EMC World 2015, IT Central Station asked how I would compare EMC XtremIO and HP 3PAR. Until recently, the flash storage conversation in my organization and many others has centered on XtremIO and Pure Storage, the leaders of the all-flash array (AFA) space. To that end, I've written a few posts already. In 2015, though, the HP giant began to rouse and challenge the mainstream status quo with its 3PAR offering. Quantifying 3PAR's platform is different from XtremIO and Pure, though, as it can seem amorphous given the many ways it can be quoted. Are you asking for all flash? 3PAR will give you that and lay claim to the best-of-breed title. Oh, but you want some mass storage akin to archival or virtual tape, too? 3PAR changes jerseys and shouts, "I'm it!" Is it, though? Let's put…
                                  Senior System Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                                  It has common provisioning groups which allowed us to create multiple RAIDs on the same disks.

What other advice do I have?

It integrates very well with Windows 2012 as well as VMware.
                                  System Administrator at ProCredit Bank
                                  New disks can be added without any downtime at any point, and any provisioned disk can be expanded on-line.

What other advice do I have?

For sure you should ask HP to present you the product and I think you'll love how simple and robust it is. It's a great product for mid-range, big companies, and banks. It's redundancy and expandability are great, and it is packed with a lot of features and technologies.
                                  Senior Systems Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Has helped us speed up deployments and better track our I/O consumption.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework and follow the deployment guides, it will save time and headaches. If you do not license at least Direct Optimization the array cannot re-level the data so the array will eventually not preform to peak efficiency as you add and remove data.
                                  it_user229389
                                  Solution Architect with 51-200 employees
                                  We are using a lot less power and space with this SAN compared to our previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

Compare all vendors carefully as there are a lot of features that appear to be similar but in actuality are very different.
                                  it_user229386
                                  Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  We were looking for a way to simplify our storage management.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend working with HP directly during the installation process. We had the system up and running with production data one week after the equipment arrived.
                                  it_user229383
                                  Solutions Architect - EMC at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                  We like the ability for data to be auto-tiered and the flash capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good, stable product, and management is pretty straightforward. For the price, it is a no brainer.
                                  it_user229380
                                  Senior Engineer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
                                  We migrated pieces from various storage technologies - EVA, Nexsan, and an old EMC Clarion. They were all EOL and 3PAR had the performance to consolidate all the workloads.

What other advice do I have?

3PAR is the best storage product HP has ever sold. It's not cheap, but it's definitely one of the better block-level storage products out there.
                                  it_user229377
                                  Sr. San and Storage Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  Due to the user friendly OS and console it is easy to use and deploy.

What is most valuable?

RCIP - Its part of our data replication into our DR site Flash

I've used it for three years.

No issues encountered.

We haven't seen any issues with this.

Scalability has been fine. No issues.

Customer Service: Good - they provide a nice customer service experience. Technical Support: Good - they provide a nice customer service experience.

No previous solution was in place be 3PAR.

It's a straightforward…
                                  it_user229374
                                  Network Systems & Security Admin at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
                                  I like the performance, scalability, and cost effectiveness.

What other advice do I have?

Set time aside to go through the setup spreadsheet.
                                  Systems Integrator - VMWare, Cisco, EMC & HP. with 501-1,000 employees
                                  We switched from our previous solution because the performance and cost of 3PAR was better.

What is most valuable?

ASIC assisted RAID Calculations Performance Flash

How has it helped my organization?

Incredible performance Automation Ease of use

What needs improvement?

Host Integration Support for new platforms

I've used it for four years.

There were some minor issues.

No issues if you plan properly.

No scalability issues at all.

Customer Service: It's the best. Technical Support: It's the best.

We switched because of the performance and…
                                  it_user225402
                                  Server and Storage Practice Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  The new Adaptive Flash Cache feature combined with Adaptive Optimisation really helps performance.

What other advice do I have?

After spending months of looking at products and choosing the HP 3PAR’s the best advice is to: * Plan the installation and migration – this saved us time in getting the new storage in production * Think about all the features you require as they aren’t expensive and probably will save you money (Peer-Persistence was a good one for the 7400) * Don’t buy for years – as they are easily upgraded the capacity should be sized correctly.
                                  Jerome Wendt
                                  President/Lead Analyst at DCIG
                                  Analyst
                                  Recognizes infrequently accessed data and can either move it off to disk or even another HP 3PAR array.
                                  Since 2012, there have been three constants in DCIG’s world: death, taxes and an HP 3PAR StoreServ storage array model coming out on top in its Midrange Array Buyer’s Guides. In each of the three (3) Buyer’s Guides focused on the topic of Midrange Arrays produced in that time, HP 3PAR StoreServ arrays have consistently ranked well with the HP 3PAR F400 coming out on top in 2012, the HP 3PAR StoreServ 7400 in 2013 and the latest 7440c nailing the top spot in the 2015-16 Buyer’s Guide. To accomplish these feats, HP had to do more than simply put more powerful hardware into its arrays. HP had to merge disk and flash media, offer software that today’s highly virtualized infrastructures require and deliver these in a way that satisfied today’s enterprise demands. The HP 3PAR StoreServ 7440c…
                                  it_user178500
                                  Business Systems Manager with 501-1,000 employees
                                  Flash storage is worth it for performance advantage and simplicity.
                                  We were running HP servers and an HP storage area network (SAN), but with the business’s growth we were coming to a point where we either needed to upgrade the CPU and buy additional disks for the SAN, or replace everything – we considered both possibilities. The application provider did have a version running on Windows, but we wanted the proven stability of UNIX, and in particular of HP’s HP-UX. MomentumPro is business-critical, and runs all our inventory and financial systems. We considered systems based on other UNIX platforms, but that would have involved bringing in a completely new operating system, which would add additional risk. If we had a year for the project we might have looked at other UNIX versions, but our business’s rapid expansion meant we had tight timescales– so we…
                                  it_user203880
                                  Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  It's a scalabe solution. We're planning on implementing the AFA in the future.

What other advice do I have?

Do it, you will never look back. We're not currently using 3PAR flash storage, but definitely plan to in the future. 3PAR AFA is the class leader.
                                  Technical Manager / Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  When comparing the cost with the features and performance, this solution is a good choice.

What other advice do I have?

It has a large basket of advanced features to integrate storage system into the service layer, good performance on provisioning and SAN service.
                                  it_user194907
                                  Infrastructure Team Lead at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  With our previous solution we had issues with replication and tiering. Our nightly backup jobs now run much quicker.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the SSD but not flash. Even without that part, we are very satisfied with the performance. It is reasonable and good product.
                                  it_user189951
                                  Technical Consultant – Storage at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  Recently introduced features allow customers to use solid state disks to cache I/O to magnetic disks.
                                  As a storage technical consultant, I have implemented HP StoreServ (3PAR) systems for customers for the past 3½ years. The StoreServ family of arrays accommodate up to three storage tiers within a single chassis and scales nicely from small shops to large data centers using either fibre channel or iSCSI attachment.  Recently introduced features allow customers to use solid state disks to cache I/O to magnetic disks (Adaptive Flash Cache) and deploy de-duplication on certain configurations. Also, HP will soon offer file services (CIFS and NFS) provided directly by the array controllers on specific controller models. The StoreServ family is one of the easiest array platforms to manage that I have worked with. I have been particularly impressed by how quickly my customers are able to learn…
                                  Director, Midwest Cloud Consulting at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  3PAR - Popeye's spinach for the I.T. Industry

What other advice do I have?

Whether you are new to storage or advanced, this is the most amazing piece of hardware I have ever had my hands on, built, and used. The thought behind much of the detail of how it works just seems incredible. Think about this, you have drives that sit in multiple RAID arrays because of the CPGs and how the SAN is always moving chunklets around to keep hot spots from occurring. If I could meet the founders and shake their hand, I would love to and let them know thank you. Thank you for giving me the chance to have fun with my job and have access to such hardware. I would also thank HP for…
                                  it_user187086
                                  Associate Infrastructure Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                  The 3PAR build-in reporting features were the answer to all our reporting woes; Customer support is a perfect 10.

What other advice do I have?

The product is definitely worth considering. As mentioned before, onsite support might be limited due to geographic location (only if you live in a very remote part of the planet) but generally the product satisfies most if not all business requirements. We are hoping to implement Flash storage. Flash storage is becoming more cost effective and the performance benefits are well documented when using flash storage.
                                  Senior System Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  SSD, SAS and SATA disks in one box. Transparent failover between datacenters, delivers performance as promised.

What other advice do I have?

Organize a couple of meetings with the technical staff to build the storage array that will meet your demands. Knowing in front which type of RAID you will need and the type of IO will benefit you.
                                  it_user185622
                                  Managing Director with 51-200 employees
                                  MSP
                                  Adding Drives To Your 3PAR Array is a relatively easy process.
                                  About a year ago I was tasked with expanding one of this first US production StoreServ 7000 arrays and wanted to share the process and shed some light on the "gotchas" involved. This post was sitting in my drafts folder 90% completed for a while now but as many 7000 arrays are starting to be expanded I wanted to complete this post. The system I was working on it was relatively small since this Financial client was just getting starting with 3PAR storage. We started with a one shelf 16 drive 7200 array (leaving 8 slots open) and the task at hand was to fill the remaining 8 slots with 450GB 10K SFF drives. As depicted in the StoreServ Installation Guide adding drives to the array is a relatively easy process. Overall there are 5 milestones to the process with a majority of them being…
                                  it_user184665
                                  Independent IT Analyst with 51-200 employees
                                  Interesting and comprehensive family of products which now includes a native file interface
                                  HP 3PAR, 360° storage This is the first time in a while that I won’t be attending HP Discover. It’s a pity, not only because I have the chance to get updates directly from the horse’s mouth there, but also because it is always well frequented by good bloggers and other interesting people. At the event, HP usually organizes what they call “coffee talks” and you have the chance to get briefed and also have a lot of confrontation on each single line of their business (not that I’m really interested in everything they do, but Storage, Cloud and Enterprise IT in general are all well covered). BTW, thanks to my friend Calvin Zito I got news in advance and even though I’m overseas at the moment, I want to comment on what I discovered a few days ago. When good gets better You’re most likely aware…
                                  Download our free HPE 3PAR StoreServ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.