HPE BladeSystem Overview

HPE BladeSystem is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Blade Servers. It is most often compared to HPE Synergy: HPE BladeSystem vs HPE Synergy

What is HPE BladeSystem?
HP ProLiant BladeSystem share power, cooling, network, and storage infrastructure via the blade enclosure. Since equipment is not needed for each server, you get a dramatic reduction in power distribution units, power cables, LAN and SAN switches, connectors, adapters, and cables. And you can add the newest-generation technologies by simply changing individual components.

HPE BladeSystem is also known as HP ProLiant BL Series Servers, HP ProLiant BladeSystem, HP BladeSystem.

Download the Blade Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

HPE BladeSystem Customers
EMIS Health
HPE BladeSystem Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE BladeSystem pricing:
  • "It is not expensive, really, in this class of server products."
  • "Its pricing was good. We selected this solution because it was within our budget. We paid just once when we bought it. We never bought any license."
  • "It is expensive. There are no additional costs. We are able to get good discounts anyway from HPE, but if the price can come down, we'll be happy."

JD
Manager of Capacity and Control Management at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and offers good scalability with a small footprint

• "The solution has good scalability."
  • "They are not selling BladeSystem anymore. The end of the sale of this platform was this year, 2020."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We use the solution on Citrix platforms. The BladeSystem compared with older solutions about energy and processor, offers more capacity and you can gain or minimize the amount of energy that you consume, which is super-helpful. Overall, I would rate it nine out of ten. One of the big problems that BladeSystem could look at is that systems like Microsoft Windows 2019, Linux, or Red Hat 8 demand a lot of RAM memory. There's no adaptable support. The more gigabytes or more processors that the actual operating system has, the better. With Synergy, and the power of Dell…
MC
Line Technical Agent at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dependable hardware that is scalable and not expensive

What is our primary use case?

We use BladeSystem is something that we use simply as hardware that is very reliable.

• "It is a stable, dependable solution."
  • "It is not expensive."
  • "The technical support is good."
  • "There could be more management capability to work with integrations."
  • "Some part of virtual connections needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product for other users who wants to start using it. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate HPE BladeSystem as an eight-out-of-ten. The product can be improved and earn a higher rating by improving virtual connection integration, maybe lowering the cost (without degrading the quality of the product), and having a dedicated contact with HP for some critical issues if they arise.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Lenovo and others in Blade Servers. Updated: June 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AY
IT Service Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy initial setup with good stability and simple troubleshooting

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our SQL Server VMware virtualization. We put this on our on SQL Servers and VMware virtualization systems on this product.

• "The solution uses a smaller space in our data centers. It uses less feeder and network cable, which reduces costs."
  • "The response time in terms of getting technical support assistance could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We're simply a customer. We don't have a business relationship with HPE. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using or if it's the latest. I'd recommend the solution to other companies. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight. If the pricing was better and they offered better support, I would rate the solution higher.
WK
Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and has scalable capabilities

• "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "If the hardware offered higher efficiency, that would be an ideal situation for our company."

What other advice do I have?

We are simply a customer and an end-user. We don't have a professional relationship with HPE. I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a nine. We've mostly been quite pleased with the product and its capabilities. I would recommend the solution to other users, companies, and organizations.
Joseph Raisi
IT Manager at Botswana Accountancy College
A very fast, reliable, and robust solution with good price and value for money

What is our primary use case?

We use it for direct authentication of the network storage of our files. We also use it for running some application systems, such as the student information management system and the accounting system. We have DL360 and DL380. For storage, we have HP 2000.

• "They are very fast and very reliable. They are working under very tough conditions."
  • "We had a few hard drives that crashed, and we couldn't find them locally. We've tried internationally, but we are still struggling to get its spare parts. This is the main challenge that we have faced with this solution. Fortunately, the other drives are still working. There should be easy availability of spare parts. I should be able to request a quotation online from HPE for things that I am not able to get locally. Currently, I can order online, but when I type the serial number, most of the time, it is rejected. I don't know why it is happening. It could be because the company that sold us the system didn't buy it through the normal HPE channel. HPE should assist us as users to get the spare parts. Its security needs to be beefed up. I would like some security features. It was also challenging for us to set it up because we didn't get enough training from them."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution based on the robustness of the machines. It is the best system in terms of the value for your money. I would rate HPE BladeSystem an eight out of ten.
AH
Information Technology System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Easy to use with good space conservation and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for a hypervisor.

• "The product is quite stable. Its performance is reliable."
  • "The interface in terms of management could be much more intuitive."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer, however, indirectly with HPE. We purchased the solution through a reseller. We don't deal with HPE directly. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. I don't have the version number on hand. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. It's been largely quite capable.
NA
Executive Director at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Reliable, fast, very scalable, and hardly breaks down

What is our primary use case?

We are running a biometric solution. This is the main solution for which we use HPE BladeSystem.

• "They are reliable, and they hardly break down. They are fast, and they serve us very well."
  • "For me, the product is okay, but I would probably suggest improvement in their services or technical support. They need to work harder in the preventative maintenance of the system. They need to improve in terms of how quickly can we get attention and how quickly problems are resolved. Its price could also be lower."

What other advice do I have?

My main advice would be to ensure that your technical staff is well trained by HPE and the technical staff receives HPE technical training because the support that you want may not come from HPE. If you have your in-house team properly trained, it should be fine. I would rate HPE BladeSystem an eight out of ten.
AO
Corporate IT Infrastructure Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Support applications and virtualization across the entire organization with scalable hardware

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution like a hypervisor to host our applications. We have secondary areas for our accounting and manufacturing. That is a separate legacy system. We also use it as a SQL server.

• "It is very stable."
  • "It is easy to scale if you have the licensing."
  • "It is lacking in the ability to replicate virtual machines more easily."

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation to people considering this solution is to just make sure that the blade will be supported by the existing system. This is the only issue that we faced. It will be hard to integrate with some older switches. Usually, you will not be able to configure this solution with high availability if you are using older solutions. You cannot add it to a regular storage server. It is one of the limitations that you can not just add a storage unit for the blades. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as a nine.
See 2 more HPE BladeSystem Reviews