HPE BladeSystem Overview

HPE BladeSystem is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Blade Servers. It is most often compared to HPE Synergy: HPE BladeSystem vs HPE Synergy

What is HPE BladeSystem?
HP ProLiant BladeSystem share power, cooling, network, and storage infrastructure via the blade enclosure. Since equipment is not needed for each server, you get a dramatic reduction in power distribution units, power cables, LAN and SAN switches, connectors, adapters, and cables. And you can add the newest-generation technologies by simply changing individual components.

HPE BladeSystem is also known as HP ProLiant BL Series Servers, HP ProLiant BladeSystem, HP BladeSystem.

Download the Blade Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

HPE BladeSystem Customers
EMIS Health
HPE BladeSystem Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

System Architect at KT Bank
Convenient for virtualization and has the ideal server density

What is our primary use case?

The HPE BladeSystem c7000 is very convenient for virtualization. We have virtualized about forty Blade servers. It is easy to manage and has ideal server density.

• "With just one cable, for redundancy let's say two, you can feed sixteen servers in a single c7000 chassis."
  • "The only side that must be improved is the active-passive interconnect module architecture."
EN
Infrastructure Architecture & Planning Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The virtual connect and network management port is a valuable feature. HPE BladeSystems is an old technology that cannot fit all of the dynamic organizational needs of our company.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is specifically for application virtualization.

• "The virtual connect and network management port is a valuable feature."
  • "HPE BladeSystems is an old technology that cannot fit all of the dynamic organizational needs of our company."

What other advice do I have?

Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Lenovo and others in Blade Servers. Updated: April 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Governance at Globecast
Gives us good server density and a harmonized hardware solution

What is our primary use case?

My company is working in media and we offer a solution for TV channels. We use HPE for classic IT usage but also for broadcast systems, to transport and deliver the signals to the TV channel. We use a BladeSystem for TV channel transcoding.

• "The benefit is the density and the capability for global harmonization on the hardware, because all the hardware chassis are the same. We can also purchase the same network cards too, chassis by chassis, so it gives us a global solution."
  • "The scalability is limited because you only have a 16-server by chassis."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend HPE BladeSystem. I'm satisfied with HPE BladeSystem at the moment but we can imagine consuming Blade servers, metal-as-a-service. We have an entire environment refresh coming up at the moment. We need to make provisions for metal-as-a-service because we have a huge machine. We cannot re-authorize this machine, and we need to make the right provisioning for metal-as-a-service. We're beginning to look at the Cisco UCS technology, with a domain fabric system. But at the moment we don't have an agreement with Cisco. My company is part of the Orange main group and we have an…
IT Infrastructure division manager at LMT
Can serve different needs from virtualized web servers to dedicated databases
We have had several HPE c7000 BladeSystem chassis for more than five years. They have served different needs from virtualized web servers to dedicated databases and application servers.  They run well. However, there have been some hardware failures with them. These failures have since been solved by HPE support partners.
MS
VMware Software Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Relatively easy to manage; the performance is both good and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use these chassis with Gen8 and Gen9 servers, Blade servers for virtualization, VMware servers.

• "They are reliable, and it's relatively easy to manage them. They also regularly provide patching for the servers."
  • "The problem is that when want to expand with a new chassis, you have to do everything manually. It's not automatic."

What other advice do I have?

If you don't want to go to the new technologies, like hyperconverged systems or converged systems, if you want to use only the old-school technologies, I can recommend this solution. I rate it at eight out of 10. It's a good product, it's reliable, the performance is good. You can expand with the new servers as well. It has been a leading product in the market until now.
IT Network And Infrastructure Engineer at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Easy to Manage via Onboard Administrator, the iLO modular network, and the SAN Switches

What is our primary use case?

I Use this solution for my main production server, we use this for VM-hosts, and connected to HP MSA Storage as VM Data-stores via iSCSI targeting.

• "I really appreciate the integrated Onboard Administrator, the iLO (Integrated Lights-Out) modular network, and the SAN Switches."
  • "This product needs a wider range of firmware compatibility matrix from the oldest to the newest blade server."

What other advice do I have?

Prepare the budget and be ready to persuade the board of directors as to why you should buy this solution. Don't forget to prepare the data of TCO.
Sr. Manager / Systems Specialist with 5,001-10,000 employees
User
Virtual Fabric and interconnects are easy to configure and maintain

What is our primary use case?

For an x86 infrastructure.  Databases Virtualized environment Application servers Exchange and analytical applications Linux and Windows are the OSs.

How has it helped my organization?

Ease of use Reliable Scalable Simple  This has drastically reduced our datacenter space, has good cooling and power consumption. Cabling complexity and volume have been reduced.

What is most valuable?

Reliable backplane Excellent throughput Virtual Fabric and interconnects are easy to configure and maintain.  Wide choice in mixing SAN and LAN.

What needs improvement?

Storage capacity could be enhanced. Higher bandwidth interconnects could be introduced. OA updates and upgrades have to be made simpler.

More than five…
Architect with 10,001+ employees
​The technical support is helpful. I feel like I reach the right person whenever I call them.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for VMware. It performs well.

How has it helped my organization?

Consolidation.

What is most valuable?

Virtual Connect.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for a new product more inline with our goal. We are looking to switch because of the size formatting and the datacenter.

It is really stable, however the motherboard sometimes crashes.

No issues with scalability. We can scale by adding another enclosure.

The technical support is helpful. They changed the PCs when the motherboards crashed. I feel like I reach the right person whenever…
IT Administrator at a tech services company
Highly performant, all-in-one solution increased the efficiency of our resource usage

How has it helped my organization?

By implementing VMware on our systems, we increased the utilisation of resources, and the hardware is highly performant with no failures.

What is most valuable?

The C7000 Blade System is an all-in-one; I like blades.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Tech support is good to very good.

We have been using the same products. No switch.

Initial setup is straightforward and easy.

What's my experience with

IT Infrastructure Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible NIC configuration enables us to mix and match speed of our servers' NIC ports

• "We are very happy with flexible NIC configuration features which are possible if you combine the BladeServers with HPE flex switches in the enclosures."
  • "Non-disruptive firmware upgrades in all areas of blade technology."

What other advice do I have?

* It’s advisable to maintain and operate an updated HPE management solution along with the BladeSystem, which will assist in failure alerting, operations, automation, etc. * Remember that blades are most cost effective if you can fill all the bays in the enclosures. * It's advisable to use HPE networking switches, if your networking department can accept this.
AH
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Improves diagnostics and monitoring installed servers becomes easier

What other advice do I have?

Check your actual needs before ordering and starting with fewer number of servers and higher interconnect switches, and then having to add items according to your needs.
CTO at AFP
Facilitates consolidating the maximum system with a small footprint

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. Reliable, stable. Try it and you will see.
RB
Scientist/Engineer 'F' with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have experienced near perfect uptime using this product

What other advice do I have?

Check the literature and reviews available for the product. Ask and clarify all the queries before freezing on the requirements.
Engineer at Platform Technique
Follow the procedures for a simple and easy setup

What is our primary use case?

Customer installations for 10 years.

What is most valuable?

Virtual Connect FlexFabric

How has it helped my organization?

Simple and easy installation.

What needs improvement?

Networking.

We have been installing it for customers for 10 years.

No issues.

Some bugs, which were solved by a firmware update.

No issues.

Good.

It is straightforward. We followed the procedures.

What about

Senior Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The product allowed us to save physical space and energy.

What other advice do I have?

The x86 blades and Vsphere implementation is relatively easy. The C7000 supports newer HP blades. The product is very robust and we have not experienced downtime within the last 11 years of use.
Manager Manufacturing Systems Infrastructure with 10,001+ employees
Single point of management, redundant management components, reliability, easiness of setup and installation.

What other advice do I have?

To go with HPE Synergy instead
IT System Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is a good solution, with easy management and setup​​.

What is most valuable?

The two most valuable features are: 1) Centralized Management 2) Compatibility with VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

We created a VMware Cluster with HA, assigned host profiles, and managed the network.

I have used this solution for more than 6 years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the level of technical support 7/10.

I previously used the Supermicro Twin server.

The initial…
IT Director of Technology at Resorts World Las Vegas
We can have a lot of servers in one rack.

• "The density of the BladeSystem, that we can keep adding blades as we need more VMs."
  • "Really look at it closely, but really look at the Synergy product as well. That seems to me like that's the next evolution of the BladeSystem."

What other advice do I have?

Systems Engineer-Business Technology at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Controls and monitors servers remotely.

What other advice do I have?

If planned well in advance, it will make your life easier.
Storage specialist, Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The longevity and modular factors allow for upgrading and continued usage.

• "It also has a pretty solid design and management."
  • "HPE has a replacement system called Synergy, though it’s a more high-end system than the old C7000."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a new system and do not have one in place, see the new products like Synergy.
Senior Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It delivers a modular infrastructure for the data center.

• "Its ease of management, consolidation, connectivity, power, and cooling are the most valuable features."

What other advice do I have?

The implementation and deployment are easy and straightforward for engineers of basic IT knowledge. However, you need extra information and awareness, when configuring the HPE Virtual Connect as they require networking background (such as VLAN configuration and SAN connectivity).
    Senior Network Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    It allows immediate access to the server management and prompt detection of the access logs.

• "It provides a secure access to the console and reliable administration."
    • "I would prefer to have changes in the compatibility of the blade servers with the new ones designed by HPE, as the top team's version does not have it."
    System Integration Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    I can build a huge compute resource on it. In the case of a disk failure, there is a need to remove the whole disk bay.

• "The most valuable feature, of course, is its size as I can build a huge compute resource on it."
    • "Currently, in the case of a disk failure there is a need to remove the whole bay and as a result, to disconnect all the other disks."

What other advice do I have?

Pay attention to the HPE's management solution as they are securing the management interfaces of their servers. You need to implement it correctly, otherwise, in a case of a failure, for example, an incorrect network configuration may result in complete loss of the management.
    Senior Technology Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    The stability is good and it's scaling where we need to go.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable features that my management usually worries about are price, reliability, and its ability to be repaired and/or debugged.

What needs improvement?

What would make it better from my point of view is if HPE spent more time on testing with the actual built-in Red Hat Linux drivers, as opposed to always trying to say, "Use our driver."

The stability is pretty good.

It's scaling where we need to go.

The technical support sucks, would be understating it. Because the first line and the second line support tend to give out stupid suggestions that are completely useless, and they…
    Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    OneView allows us to manage all of our infrastructure using one application.

• "When it comes to the BladeSystem, what we love about it most is being able to actually manage it using OneView."
    • "I would like OneView to go over the current limit of 40 instances."

What other advice do I have?

It's because we've been using it for so many years now. It's been very reliable for us. I would say consult your hardware vendor and discuss with them your needs. Sit down with them. Elaborate what services do you need and decide together. That's how I would say it.
    Lead Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Some of the key features are modular design and easy configuration.

What other advice do I have?

Get to know the product. Spend time studying its ins and outs. You will be surprised by its capabilities. I would not recommend a touch and go strategy, since that won't bring the systems to optimal capability. Modular Design: Everything is modular and redundant. Nothing is built-in, from the PSUs to the fans to the modular VCs and SAN modules
    Technical Manager with 501-1,000 employees
    I value the higher consolidation ratio.

What other advice do I have?

It’s advisable to use FlexFabric Interconnect for a converged network.
    IT Infrastructure Architect at Manitoba Blue Cross
    I value the FlexFabric interconnects.

What other advice do I have?

Examine your infrastructure KPIs. This will typically include analyzing a reduction in OPEX, ease of operation, ease of troubleshoot, decreasing cabling, and increasing footprint performance.
    Technology Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Gives the administrator the ability to build a processing infrastructure remotely.

What other advice do I have?

* The product is good and strong. Nowadays, the software works fine. I chose HPE because of the existing vendor relationship and reputation. * You can do all of the installation and configuration tasks. However, if you are not experienced, contract your first installation service to a partner with a lot of experience in that kind of equipment. * Take the corresponding training, as it is very useful. * I recommend taking the official HPE platform support. They have a BladeSystem course. * I also recommend users strengthen their knowledge with a Virtual Connect course. With this in mind, you can…
    Senior Network Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    Allows access for server management and administration.
    Infrastructure Architect at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Versatile with optional virtual connect module to enhance east/west traffic flow for virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

It is quite easy to setup, configure, and get fully into production. This is the case even when physically migrating old blades from an old c7000 to a newer c7000 chassis. That can happen in less than two hours. When placed on the same fiber fabric and properly utilizing aliases, these are completely hot swappable between chassis. This is super-efficient and smooth on the transitions and decommissioning of the older chassis. Be warned: Even though G1 servers are supported, having a 2Gb fiber card in the old G1 servers will cause them to be non-functional with new 16Gb fiber switches. This is…
    Senior UNIX Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides a single point of management.

What other advice do I have?

Always go for virtual connect modules from the outset.
    Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Due to its programmatic nature, there is minimum downtime.

What other advice do I have?

Spend as much time as possible planning before you go anywhere near it.
    Senior Director, Systems Software Support & Engineering at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    It provides a consistent level of service and perspective on everything. I would like to see all-around fulfillment availability.

What other advice do I have?

I needed a solution because of my economies of scale. I had the demand and a business need. I would advise colleagues not to rush into settling on a solution. When we were choosing a vendor, we considered price, performance, availability, and engagement.
    System Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It gives us a central location to manage all our HPE blade servers.

What other advice do I have?

We were looking for stability. It's very powerful. It has huge resources. You can customize it as you like, and it fits our needs. Of course, it takes up little space. It's one rack in which you can put three enclosures. You can build your entire data center in one rack. It's very good. Since I joined my current organization four years ago, HPE did an amazing transformation of our data center. Everything there is an HPE product from A to Z. It's an end-to-end solution, including the hardware, networking, software, and everything. We are very comfortable with it. In five years, we haven’t faced…
    IT Executive with 1,001-5,000 employees
    In terms of application portability, we were able to migrate from a legacy Superdome infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

We're based in South Africa and we're pretty much dependent on the OEM to help us and advise us. HPE is able to advise us, especially on the architectural designs they can actually vet the architectural designs and give input that has proven to be valuable to us. We always try to check supportability of the platform post-project implementation. Trust me, before the project implementation, before they kick up, all the vendors will lobby. Obviously, when you’ve gone live and you start having problems after the fact, the vendors stay far away. So you need to make sure that in-country support is…
    Datacentre Services Team Leader at NWG (Northumbrian Water Group)
    Everything's hot-pluggable. The way we manage our enclosures, everything's done through one iLO.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to invest early dollars on higher capacity. In the early stages, we didn't put enough high power kit in and we ended up upgrading all the time, especially on the memory side. I think we went in quite low with RAM and we went through a massive process of upgrading all that.
    Senior Real Time Architect at Thomson Reuters
    Scalability and flexibility are valuable, as are the networking solutions within the chassis.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the connectivity setups, we've done it all now. We could smooth that path. Now it's very simple for us. If there are any difficulties, it's probably of our own making.
    Sr. System Admins at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Manages data and supports the infrastructure. Good tool for database hosting, web hosting, and for applications that run on multiple systems.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this tool.
    Senior Director R&D IT Solutions at NXP Semiconductors
    They are scalable. We can assemble​ them like building blocks.

What other advice do I have?

Have a serious look at this. It brings a lot of value for us. That tells enough. Our company is doing very well. When selecting a vendor, the pricing must be okay. But next to the pricing, I want to see a long term road map and know that they will be a trusted partner.
    IT Infrastructure Projects Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Small footprint, scalability, and flexibility are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

From my experience with HPE and the BladeSystem, I could obviously recommend it. We’ve had no problems or issues.
    Head Of IT Operations at Raiffeisen Bank - Bulgaria
    Compact, integrates the infrastructure, and easy to configure and manage.

What other advice do I have?

What's most important is to have really good, reliable professionals. You want really good support. We were looking at a couple of vendors, but HPE at that time had a good local presence. They were very good at representing their solutions. They had really good experts, so everything was perfect. They are a good vendor.
    Infrastructure Engineer at Wellcome Trust
    Good interface for straightforward management.

What other advice do I have?

For what we use blades for, it was, and still is, the best solution. Although this is a great solution, you still need to look at the rest of the infrastructure to make the most of it. It's not just blades. You have to look at networking. You have to look at your storage in order to make the most use of it. It's taken us a more time to realize this. You want a whole solution. You have to look at it from end-to-end.
    Systems Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We get higher density and better hardware maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

List what you need regarding new capacities of: * RAM memory * CPU power * Your budget * High availability limitation * Support We want a vendor to provide support for any hardware failure. They need to be able to respond quickly and so we can recover from a hardware failure and put it back into production.
    Head Of Applications at Pentland Brands
    You can upgrade or downgrade, depending on the performance needed for different applications. I'm looking for better stability and real-time performance monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

Do your ground work. Understand not only what you need right now but what you need in the future because technology's changing and evolving. Do a fairly good due diligence about what your estate will be needed for the next couple of years, in the future. Look around. Shop around with multiple resellers to get the best price.
    ICT Infrastructuur Architect at Isala
    It is easy to manage and to connect to your other infrastructure

What other advice do I have?

Invest in preparation. The HPE BladeSystems are being succeeded by the Synergy systems, announced last year. That's the successor, so look at that.
    Solutions Engineer at AmWINS Group, Inc.
    It's been easy from an upgrade perspective and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

It really gets the job done well. It's dense compute. We replaced an entire rack of equipment with ten use, twelve use, I can't remember how many use it is, but with a single BladeSystem. It has been a long-sustaining enclosure. We have field upgraded the interconnects twice to add new capabilities as technology changed and those were service affecting but not very difficult. I have worked with Cisco UCS Manager and both have similar concepts. HPE Synergy is also due to launch soon, and althought HPE has a commitment to BladeSystem for the next few years, Synergy is really their next…
    Delivery Assurance Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It allows organisations to grow their clusters and environments by adding more blades to the enclosure.

What other advice do I have?

Consider implementing HP One-View into your environment to assist in addressing the complicated admin in some areas. Implement where possible a Use Standard to the chassis level, i.e. 1 chassis for hyper-v, 1 for SQL, etc... Segregate the networking set to the network where possible and avoid using the chassis profiles.
    System Auditor at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides an advanced server management system that allows our NOC and server administrator to do their work more efficiently.

What other advice do I have?

The HPE BladeSystem is easy to manage. It is a fantastic product that datacenter managers, cloud services providers, and server room operators should embrace because it has all you could ever think of.
    Desktop Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It made it much more scalable for us to be able to spin up architecture with VMware on top of it.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that if you're using it as a hypervisor, that you're doing all the pre-work on setup such as knowing the interoperability between different product statures that you're going to run on it.
    Data Center Systems Engineer at Insight
    MSP
    Architecturally, there's no problem adding more as the environment needs to scale.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's the advice that I'd give to anybody that would ask for it. Start with your application, find out what the requirements are, think about what it's going to need in the future, then begin architecting your solution there.
    Senior Systems Engineer - Storage and Virtualization at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    You can quickly deploy a system, move server profiles around at will and swap out hardware as needed.

What other advice do I have?

To pick a solution, we generally create a matrix and then fill in what we want out of the product. We pump in vendors and choose whoever meets the targets that we set. I would also note that the migration from rack mount to BladeSystem is not a one-to-one, so read the manual.
    Sr. Systems Engineer at Cardinal Glass
    The small footprint that they have, the reliability and the ease of use are key factors.

What other advice do I have?

If you're considering it, you want to try out all the 3 big players. Then kind of just go with what feels right for you. I've tried out all three of them, and I've been happy, and the HP is the best. You just got to try it out and see what you think.
    Director - Data Centre Operations at MCAP
    Provides consolidation of hardware into single or more manageable components.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a unified management interface where you can manage multiple products through a single pane of glass, like OneView for example, it might make sense. If you're heavily invested in the HP product line, again, it might make sense. But really in this day and age, computing is computing for the most part, so I think it really depends on what influences your purchasing decision, whether it's politics or technical merit.
    Windows System Administrator at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    The ability to manage more infrastructure with less resources is important for us.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. As I said, the support isn't the best, but it's a good product. We run them to death. We're supposed to run them for three years, but we have server hardware that's been running six years around the clock. Also, I'd go back to my earlier case on total cost of ownership, return on investment, and things like that. If I'm talking to somebody that's from a company on our scale, I'd say absolutely go for it. HP products may not necessarily make sense for somebody in a small business environment, but for all the reasons that make sense for a company the size of mine, I'd…
    Systems Engineering Manager at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Being able to manage everything from one BladeCenter makes administration costs go down.
    System Administrator at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Since it's modular, we're able to replace parts as needed. Pricing can always be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It's pretty scalable, but then again, it's pretty old. It's not as scalable as the Cisco Blades that we currently have, but I'm not going to knock it because of that, it's just because it's old it doesn't have all the technology that Cisco has right now. Do your homework. Shop around and look at other vendors. Don't just look at one specific blade system.
    IT Director at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dependable hardware. We don't have a lot of downtime.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell them to strongly take a look at the HPE. Go ahead and do a bake off if you want to. If they want to prove a concepts with the Dells, Dells will give them a way to you to try them out. If you rack them up side-by-side, I think all the features set and just the reliability of HPE makes them come out ahead.
    Senior Datacenter Specialist at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    It's easy for me to use them as building blocks for whatever system I'm working on.

What other advice do I have?

Part of it is really going to depend on what your use case for it is. If it's just running general server pools, then you get in there really fast, get it set up, run it using OneView obviously, which makes life a lot easier, because then you've got a single pane of glass to manage all your environments. That's the big reason I would use it.
    IT Senior Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We started using it to standardize our infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

You will need to determine you parameters and your requirements so you can decide which products will best fit your needs.
    Sr. Manager Enterprise Services at a venture capital & private equity firm with 501-1,000 employees
    It makes it easier to bring in a new system.

What other advice do I have?

If you're somebody who's undergoing rapid growth and not standardized on a platform yet, then I'd tell you that it depends on your environment. If you're already an HPE customer, then I'm going to say your engineers already know it. If you're not deploying 1,000 chassis, then the simplicity of using the HPE blades, it's so familiar to rack mount, the management interface, it's almost identical if you know iLO then it's already there. It's easy to set up and it's much lower cost than Cisco.
    IT Manager at Continental Currency Services

What other advice do I have?

The product is really simple to install. The way it's designed, you just slide whatever modules you're putting in there and it's pretty much done. HPE give it the iLO IP and you're ready to manage. Once you have it, there's not much advice I can give. It'll work and do the trick.
    IT Engineering Manager at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I like the support that comes with it and the ease of getting it in production.

What other advice do I have?

I would warn you to be prepared to be ready to talk about how you're going to be connecting your BladeSystems to the network. Especially if you don't have a total HP stack from top to bottom. For example, if you're setting those things up or connecting them with Cisco gear, being prepared in working with your partners with your vendors on ensuring that you're connecting that all in best practice.
    IT Manager for Infrastructure at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It gives us flexibility for each of our security zones.
    Senior Systems Engineer at a university with 10,001+ employees
    We have a large DSX infrastructure for VMWare and having it uniform and having it compact is a good thing for us.
    Director of Information Systems at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I like the ability to add a lot of processing capacity and memory into a small form factor.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend it. But weigh the pros and cons of the points of failure. Because there are single points of failure unless you have two chassis in place. Also the power and the cooling consumption. Blades in the chassis seem to consume a lot of energy. We use co-location facilities so we don't have to think a lot about how much power and energy we are consuming because we don't owe the data center. It's just a fixed price for the rack. But if you own your own data center and you have to pay for the power and the cooling, blades and the chassis if you have them filled and racked and stacked…
    Presales Supervisor for CME at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Virtual Connect allows me to utilize fewer physical ports to reach the total number of segregated ports

What other advice do I have?

Keep observing the market as new technologies have emerged, but not all are useful yet. It is good if we have a good relationship with the solution integrator as they may also give feedback.
    System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The mail exchange server runs smoothly on the Blade Server. Sometimes we can't run a new Java version or Active X.

Valuable Features

I can remotely manage and monitor it easily.

Improvements to My Organization

The mail exchange server runs smoothly on the Blade Server.

Room for Improvement

With the management software, sometimes we can't run a new Java version or Active X. We have to use an old OS such as Windows XP to get through this. Some features of the Blade still requires you to use a CLI to configure.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for two years.

There were no issues with the deployment. I can use a laptop and configure the Blade from my office room so I don’t have to go to the server room.

We've experienced no issues with performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Customer Service and Technical

Infrastructure Expert at a local government with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The integration with our existing environment, and it's ease of use are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Go big or go home, pick a solution, and go with it. There is no wrong way to go - whether you choose rack or blade servers depends on how you grow, and how you want to plan your future capacity.
    IT Admin at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Alongside HP 3PAR and VMware hypervisor, it is easy to manage the server.

What is most valuable?

As it's modular (a small server) and has redundant hardware such as power, a SAN switch, and an interconnector, we do not need to worry when there is a failure.

How has it helped my organization?

Alongside HP 3PAR and VMware hypervisor, it is easy to manage the server.

What needs improvement?

It needs to have backward compatibile firmware. Also, the enclosure for Generation 9 canot be paired with Generation 1 or 6 so it takes more effort to perform the migration.

We have used this product since Generation 1 in 2009. Currently, we have Generation 1, Generation 6, and Generation 7. We are currently using a Generation 9 for a refresh and to replace our Generation 1 and 6 (still in progress).

What was my experience

Active Directory Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The features that are the most valuable to us are its scalability, performance, and cost.

What other advice do I have?

Plan, plan, and plan some more. Really understand what you want to do because it can be a great integration opportunity. Make sure you work with a partner who understands your infrastructure well. Understand also how products from different vendors like NetApp, EMC, Cisco, etc. work together, especially with different firmware versions.
    Principal - Head of IT at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    The stability and support are most helpful to us.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think that there is anything else that's better.
    IS Infrastructure Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The ease of management allows us to see issues related to server problems and the functioning of VMware products on those servers.

What other advice do I have?

It's the best product for the time being so there's no reason not to buy it.
    Chief Information Officer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We're able to add as much as we can to it without worrying about it going down.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a solution that has near 100% uptime, these blades provide that.
    Lead Architect - Infrastructure at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides us with connectivity, saves us rack space, and enables us to have mobility for bring-your-own-devices enabled by Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

It's good and functional and there's a firewall on each. My advice would be to go for it, but never mix vendors. We got HP servers and then added Dell servers and had to deal with double management of all the servers.
    Head of Production Service Delivery at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We have several thousand servers and users, so it's been scalable and we're able to expand more if necessary.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a big company, big enough to get these kinds of contracts, it saves a lot of time and a lot of money because it's all outsourced to HP. It's very practical.
    Co Founder at TaskPutty
    Scalability: You can get a blade that uses up to four slots, and put Integrity or Titanium blade systems on the chassis as well.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it, you'll be happy. If you're a technical person, it's quite easy to manage and operate.
    IT Operations Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The manageability of the BladeSystem is its most valuable feature for us.

What other advice do I have?

Plan ahead. If you zone your network for active-active, you're going to get more throughput.
    ICT Infrastructure Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We're able to scale by adding more blades into our organized environment.
    Solution Architect at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We're able to provide a platform where we can start offering services back to the various groups within our organization and our external customers as well.

What other advice do I have?

It will change your operations. It's a good option you should consider.
    Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    I think the most valuable feature for us is probably the ability to expand and change, such as adding servers.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your network is set up correctly -- DNS, all the manual steps, etc. We had to rebuild a system because the DNS was wrong. Check all your cabling and other aspects of your installation process.
    Director at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
    We managed to reduce our 8x cabinets into 1x 42U cabinet saving huge amounts on power, energy, while we became more flexible, scalable and efficient.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful with pre-Sales and Sales team of HP, they do make mistakes so do not hesitate to engage a third party experienced person or firm to get some extra advice.
    IT Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 501-1,000 employees
    It's a converged infrastructure solution that's manageable and scalable, though an integrated KVM system with the blade enclosure would be a great addition.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it you will not regret it, and you will be moving to a better consolidated and converged infrastructure that is easy to manage and highly scalable. For HP Blades, there are many products to choose from, so it is important to tailor your solution to fit your needs and goal in order to achieve an easy implementation and result.
    IT System Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Its adaptation to existing software models has allowed our cloud environment to grow.
    Principal Systems Engineer at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
    It has scaled and performed well in the six-plus years I've used it for a particular project.

What other advice do I have?

HP Proliant servers are rock solid and when you need technical support HP’s team is there to support you with answers, no matter how long it takes to properly identify the root cause and then propose a solution.
    Director of Infrastructure & Service Management at Mansfield Oil Company
    Redundancy, wherein one system can go down and the other is still fully functional, has given us the ability to withstand an outage we wouldn't have been able to before.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your environment, and make sure it’s the right fit for you. You know the uptime you need, the type of compute you need, and a formal understanding of 'do we have what we need in the data center to push this.' This may not be the right solution for everyone, but know your business and whether this solution is applicable to you.
    ICT Manager at a aerospace/defense firm
    It is a single integrated solution -- storage, networking, and management -- that can be deployed anywhere.

What other advice do I have?

Get experienced vendors for deployment and you won't have issues later, that is, if you don't have the skills In-house.
    Senior Director, R&D at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    We considered going with an internally-developed product or HP.

What other advice do I have?

You need to look for high reliability, duplex power servers, and networking. If you’re looking for carrier grade reliability, the C7000 is an excellent choice.
    System Administrator at SNL Financial
    As our company quickly grows internally and through acquisitions, we replace old systems with these blades because they're easy to configure and are immediately usable upon installation.

What other advice do I have?

We often do a rack-and-replace on hardware at a site we buy, and we need products that can keep up with our growth rate. We replace anything that's rendered obsolete when we grow, often replacing them with HP products. The other thing that keeps us coming back to HP is the ease of support (ease that we have in supporting the server hardware and maintaining it). Ease of configurability and configuration for VMWare are very important. We’re in the process of buying 14 new HP products. Remember to take into account your business size when looking at the solution (see above). First, I would listen…
    SRE OPS Manager at Criteo
    The implementation was very efficient as we just had to plug the box in.

Valuable Features:

HP is very aware of and adaptable to our market. They've been able to provide the best technology to fit our market.

Improvements to My Organization:

HP is a good partner, as they really try to understand and build trust with our market.
    IT Manager at AIMCo
    Central management of my blades is fairly important for me. It’s important for me to be able to manage them all centrally and quickly.

What other advice do I have?

We looked at our what our guys already knew. Single point of management is important. If you were to step back five years ago, HP was very strong in that, when Dell and Cisco weren’t quite as good. Now, they’re all pretty good, so central management of my blades is fairly important for me. I’m running hundreds of these servers, and it’s important for me to be able to manage them all centrally and quickly.
    Windows Server Support at Nationwide
    Setup is pretty straightforward. It’s all automated so that their tools are deployed for us.

What other advice do I have?

I’m pretty opinionated, but first look at pricing and see which option is right for you. HP is a good bet, but it really depends. I can only speak about HP, but they’ve been very good.
    Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Ahead of other vendors. Minor improvements are needed for registration of licenses and access to updated drivers.
    CEO at Scott Solutions LLC
    I have found that the HP Proliant series servers have lived up to their moniker, in that they have always been reliable.

What other advice do I have?

If you need assistance in deploying Proliant servers, please feel free to contact me.
    Head of Data Center at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    HP ProLiant servers are one of the most durable and reliable servers ever made. Just make sure to stock-up on parts which might fail in the long run.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend HP ProLiant servers. They are very reliable and very easy to configure. Just make sure that you stock-up on parts which you think might not be available any more in the foreseeable future. From experience, stock on the hard disks especially if you are still using the older technology, and buy redundant power supplies as these are the ones that normally fail after years of continuous operations.
    Network Manager at a local government with 51-200 employees
    Great product. Does what it's supposed to; however blades aren't the most cost effective solution.

What other advice do I have?

These work great for what I'm using them for, but they are not future proof. XenServer has great features allowing me to have heterogeneous pools. Blades are a good solution for organizations that have limited space and don't want to virtualize.