TJ
Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Good initial setup and decent scalability, but is expensive

• "The scalability is very good."
  • "The solution is a bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily sell the solution to our client base. The customers are typically telecom operators or enterprise-level companies. It's used primarily for data center applications and connectivity solutions.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup isn't too bad.

The scalability is very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a bit expensive.

The stability needs to be improved upon. It's not as good as it could be.

The solution should offer more automation. It's not good compared to Cisco, or any other brand.

The company needs to offer much better local support. Right now, it's not great in terms of technical support.

We've been dealing with the product for a long time. It's been over a decade. Likely, we've been selling HP for 12 years at this point.

The stability isn't ideal. It could be much better. It's an aspect of the solution they could work on.

Scalability is not an issue. The solution expands well. If a company needs to build it ut and scale it, they should be able to do so pretty easily.

I'm not sure how many people within our company actually use the solution, or how many of our clients have it. I don't know that we have around 20 technical people that work with the solution.

I don't find the technical support aspect of the solution very helpful. I'm not satisfied with the level of support provided.

We're also using Cisco switches. We also an Indian brand known as Edge Appeal.

This solution lacks the automation that Cisco, for example, offers.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward for the most part. It's not too complex.

I didn't personally handle the implementation myself, as I'm not very technical. I couldn't comment on how long the deployment takes as I wasn't directly involved.

You do need to pay quite a bit for the license.

The pricing could be a little bit less, to be honest. As a product that's made in Taiwan, you would assume it would be cheaper than it is.

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers of the solution.

I'm not really on the technical side.

I'd recommend the solution for the most part. It's fine to use.

Overall, the solution is average, which is why I would rate it at a five out of ten.

AB
CIO at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Low latency and easy to install, but a more modern interface is needed

• "The HPE Ethernet switches have very low latency."
  • "It would be helpful to have training available for this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our office network in an on-premises deployment.

It handles only our office traffic, and our main computers are on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

We use classical features such as trunking and VLAN. We don't really use the fancy stuff like SNMP.

The HPE Ethernet switches have very low latency.

What needs improvement?

The interface is old in appearance and needs to be modernized.

I would like to see better URL filters and security.

It would be helpful to have training available for this solution.

We have been using this solution for at least three years.

We have had no problem with respect to stability, and we are very happy.

We have not needed to scale this solution.

We had to contact technical support one time to update the software. It was not easy because this unit is very old. We could not find the current files on the HP support page.

Currently, we do not have a contract with technical support.

We had a NETGEAR solution and it was not stable. I did not like the interface because it was very slow. It was a pain to work with and maintain the configuration. It also had very high latency. After switching to HPE we have had no problem at all.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. It has been very easy to change the computers whenever we needed to.

Our deployment took approximately one day. It was easy to get working.

A single technician is enough for deployment and maintenance.

I have also been working with Cisco solutions, which are really great but there is a problem with integration. If everything is Cisco then it is very smooth, but if you mix vendors then it's a problem. This is the reason we did not choose Cisco here.

I have also worked with other kinds of switches like D-Link, but they are not for a business like ours.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product and also a support contract. I don't think that I would pay this price without getting the support.

We are happy with this solution but it is really an old model.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about HPE Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NL
Senior Project Manager, Special Projects at a media company with 51-200 employees
Stable, easy to use, has a good buffer and a suitable architecture

• "We have scaled it without any issues."
  • "There is a limitation of capability."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the HPE Ethernet Switches in our office to stream and to join the internet.

What is most valuable?

The reason we are using this switch is for the buffer that we have.

It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There is a limitation of capability. To move to OpenFlow is very difficult.

Also, there is a limitation with the team protocols.

We had some issues with the dashboard. When we tried changing the PR or some parameters, it was not completely syncing.

We had two different values passing through the dashboard once you pass through the command line.

I have been working with HPE Ethernet Switches from 2012 to 2020.

We are using HP version 5830 and 5920.

The 5920 version is a 24 port gig, and the 5830 is a 48 port and a 24 port gig.

It's very stable. Since 2012 it has always been in production and it is used on a daily basis, 24 hours per day.

It's scalable. We have scaled it without any issues.

We have 10 people in our organization who are using this product.

We have a person that we contact through HPE when we have issues. Once they found a solution, we have not any problems.

The initial setup is complex.

The pricing is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these two versions of switches that we have been using.

When we compared with Cisco, we chose HPE because of the buffer and the architecture is more suitable than Cisco.

I would rate the HPE Ethernet Switches an eight out of ten.

MS
IT Manager at a healthcare company with 1-10 employees
Very stable with simple management and easy scalability

• "he stability is very good on this solution. There have been no bugs, glitches or crashes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data communication, the data center, and wireless. All of our switches are HP.

What is most valuable?

The switches offer simple management. I can control what I need using CLI. CLI commands are very simple and are somewhat similar to Cisco CLI. We can manage them, we can update them freely, and the warranty is unlimited. This is the solution's most valuable feature.

The solution uses a single interface and that interface contains everything.

We have been using the solution for about ten years.

The stability is very good on this solution. There have been no bugs, glitches or crashes.

Scalability on the solution is easy. It's not too difficult. Right now, we have about 150 users on the solution.

We've contacted technical support many times. They are quick to respond. We're satisfied with them.

I have used Cisco switches before. Cisco updates are more difficult on switches. Also, the initial setup is more difficult.

The initial setup is easy. Deployment only takes a few minutes.

I handled the installation myself.

The pricing is a bit lower than Cisco switches.

What other advice do I have?

We use the 2500 PoE switches.

I have a lot of experience with HP switches. They're very reliable and are implemented easily. The features that they offer are more than enough for our hospital. There are other features on solutions like Cisco and Juniper, but for what we need, this solution is perfect.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

RO
    Team Lead Networks at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Cost-effective and straightforward to set up

• "These are the basic access layer switches used for connectivity among users, and they are cost-effective."
    • "If there is any fluctuation in power then we will face an outage with our POE switches, so this is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

These access layer switches are used by our branches for user LAN connectivity.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We sometimes have issues with the stability of our POE switches. If there is any fluctuation in power then we will face an outage with our POE switches, so this is something that should be improved.

We have been using these switches for between four and five years.

These switches are partly stable but we do sometimes face issues with them. We do plan to continue using them in the future.

We have these switches deployed in different branches and in many cities.

In our office, we have between 10 and 12 users.

We are only using this product for basic purposes, so we do not require technical support from HPE.

We were using Cisco Ethernet switches before we switched to HPE. The HPE switches are almost the same and we switched because they are more cost-effective.

The installation and initial setup are straightforward. The minimum time required is half an hour.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment. We have five or six team members who are engineers.

There are no licensing costs for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend.

LS
    Director of Information Technology at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
    Simple commands, good scalability, and easy to use and install

• "The simplicity of the commands is most valuable. The commands are the same for several devices."
    • "They should have more control tools for controlling the bandwidth."

How has it helped my organization?

We use these switches to distribute our network and control the traffic.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the commands is most valuable. The commands are the same for several devices.

These switches are also easy to use.

What needs improvement?

They should have more control tools for controlling the bandwidth. They should also have more reporting and alerts for downtime.

I have been using this solution for six years.

It is stable.

It has good scalability. It can grow easily.

Currently, 250 people are using it in my organization. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

We have experience with a gold partner. They are not HPE, but we have a good experience with them.

We have used Cisco switches.

They're pretty easy to install. They don't require a lot of effort to install.

The installation duration depends on the configuration, but normally, it takes 30 minutes to one hour.

Sometimes, I install it myself, and other times, I use a consultant and integrator.

For their deployment and maintenance, we have a technical team of two managers.

We need to pay when we buy the switch. We pay for a license to use the software, but it is not required.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who want to start using it. I would rate HPE Ethernet Switches a nine out of ten.

RJ
    Firewall Engineer at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
    MSP
    Functional interface, unique features, and easy installation

• "The main features of the solution I have found to be the interface and unique features other solutions do not have. Additionally, they have a lifetime warranty on the hardware."
    • "There is some improvement needed for the power supply of the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as an enterprise network switch.

What is most valuable?

The main features of the solution I have found to be the interface and unique features other solutions do not have. Additionally, they have a lifetime warranty on the hardware.

What needs improvement?

There is some improvement needed for the power supply of the solution.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

We had 8,000 students using the solution in one of my client's organizations. We do plan to increase usage in the future.

The customer support is very good, you create a ticket and they get back to you quickly with a response.

I was using other solutions previously, such as Fortinet, Cisco, and Juniper Switches. I prefer FortiSwitch more than HP Switches because FortiSwitch has more capabilities that are not supported by any other solution, for example, FortiLink. However, HPE is a very good company and is very large.

The initial installation is easy.

All the solutions have a license for the QSFP. Additionally, there is a one-time license fee to increase the interface speed.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate HPE Ethernet Switches a nine out of ten.

AliGursoy
    IT Manager at CBN
    Good manageability of the switches and has an easy setup

What is most valuable?

The manageability of the switches is the solution's most valuable feature. The solution is easy to set up and easy to use, unlike, for example, Cisco, which is more complex.

What needs improvement?

The quality of the service needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for many years.

The stability of the solution is good. Originally we had some power problems with the end devices. However, I upgraded and now it is very stable and we haven't had issues since then.

We've never run into any issues scaling the product. It's very good. Everyone in our company currently uses them.

How are customer service

What is most valuable?

The manageability of the switches is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The quality of the service needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for many years.

The setup of the switches is simple, so we don't need any outside technical support. Once, when we had a switch that was broken, we called HP and they sent us a new one, which was convenient. Other than that, we haven't had any contact with them.

The initial setup of the solution is simple.

I handle the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I know the devices very well, so I prefer HP. I'd recommend the solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Product Categories
    Ethernet Switches
    Download our free HPE Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.