HPE Ethernet Switches Overview

HPE Ethernet Switches is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: HPE Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches

What is HPE Ethernet Switches?

HP has created the most open, integrated and software-defined networking portfolio and ecosystem of its kind – driving simplification with networks that understand, adapt to and protect your business applications in real-time. Only HP extends the momentum of software-defined networking everywhere–from the mobile edge to the heart of data centers.

HPE Ethernet Switches is also known as HP Ethernet Switches.

HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

HPE Ethernet Switches Customers
Emirates Palace Hotel
HPE Ethernet Switches Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

MR
IT Manager at City of Sedalia
User
I like the simplicity and warranty. We are a small shop, and being simple is best

What is our primary use case?

These are core switches, so they handle the bulk of our network traffic from servers to the endpoints as well as SAN traffic.

How has it helped my organization?

They switch. They are capable of much more sophistication than we are able to support.  The addition of Aruba looks promising.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity and warranty. We are a small shop, and being simple is best. These are basic managed switches and the lifetime warranty is great.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a common OS across models so that they could be managed together. But that is more in line with higher production equipment.

More than five years.
Network Administrator at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're using the Converge series of switches, and we're quite happy with the easy-to-use common line. They're easy to administer and manage.

What other advice do I have?

I would not suggest implementing MSM controller solutions, but you can't make a mistake with HP Converge series switches.
Learn what your peers think about HPE Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Founder and Principal Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
They have focused on building a highly programmable and open OS, but the technical support needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

They've got a good product, but there's still room for improvement. I would be insistent that they help you integrate it with the non-HP services you have through their professional services.
ICT Infrastructure Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
It integrates with the IMC management platform. The OS features are not stable.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor of ethernet switches, there are not so many alternatives on the market. We wanted to work with companies we are used to. We had to choose between Cisco and HPE. Because we've always been very happy with HPE and there was a brand new series of advanced features that integrated nicely with IMC, we selected the HPE product. This solution is a brand new switch series with new firmware. I hope it will be more stable over time. It's a very good solution, but I would advise others to check that aspect carefully.
Head Of. Comm at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reliable and consistent service. Standard network switch functionality. Installation could be easier.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a vendor, reliability, performance, obsessively competitive price comes into it, but it is also about supply chains and availability of stock. I had buyers in the past where you can't get equipment when you need it. It is important to have a good support chain. The vendors that we use need to be knowledgeable in the products and work closely with HPE, so that is probably a very important part of that puzzle. HPE has always been strong, I would say, and have had a good reseller and third party support market. I think it is a strong solution.
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

Valuable Features:

The ProVisions are actually very simple to use and are a very good, solid switch. It doesn't have all the advanced features, but they're coming. Now, they also have a DHT server running on them.

Room for Improvement:

It needs more routing and more VPN ports. These are included with the Comware-based switches, but not yet in the ProVisions.

Use of Solution:

We're using ProVision in the K15 v16, v17, and v18 software range.

Deployment Issues:

We've deployed them with no issues.

Stability Issues:

They have been very stable for us.

Scalability Issues:

We can scale them just fine.

Other Advice:

Just do it.
IT Administrator at AUTO GAMES PLUS, a.s.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are full command line support, VLANs, protocols for trunking, and the lifetime warranty. These switches are really good hardware with good stability.

Improvements to My Organization

It's given us a stable solution for our network.

Room for Improvement

Stacking of switches

We've deployed is without problems.

It's been stable.

We have about a hundred users.

I've used technical support only once. We needed support for a transceiver that was not supported, so technical support didn't help me. We chose another transceiver and everything worked as we expected.

Console port speed autodetect feature not work as we…
Director Of Communications at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Enrollment onto our network works and there's no stability issues as we grow our workforce.

What other advice do I have?

Test the specific features you’re looking for with performance, and verify that you're get the best pricing.
IT Architect, freelance VMware virtualization consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The time it takes to implement them helps us work much more efficiently and customers are happy because because of the lower turnaround time to get their networks up and running.
IT Infrastructure/Applications at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
The most valuable feature for us is that it naturally works well with other HP products.

What other advice do I have?

HP switches are probably the best quality product for the price. That's the most important thing someone should look for when deciding which solution to use.
Founder & CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
They support both fiber-optic and copper modules. They should enable certain features on certain frequencies.
Deputy Head of Department of Computer Science at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it to connect to our HP BladeSystem, which enables us to communicate. We're not a very big company, so this is really important to us.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you plan everything, deciding you want to manage and how the system should work. You want to be able to do just one config and forget about it.
Program Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's allowed us to redesign our whole data center and networking architecture. Now it's stable and we've been able to scale.
System Consulent/Partner at IP Netpartner Aps
They're dependable and we don't have to worry about them. Free and unlimited access to software for the switches would be very nice.

What other advice do I have?

Make use of the free manuals on the HP website. Just download them. They're actually quite good.
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's the proper GUI interface that makes them much easier to use. The fans tend to get more and more noisy as they go along.

What other advice do I have?

They're not Cisco, and big companies want to see a name like Cisco. True, HP isn't Cisco, but that's a bit unfair. Having that said, we've got one very big company now with about 200 users who are getting rid of their Cisco switches and putting in HP's. They're doing so because of HP's reliability and because they got fed up with paying Cisco prices to get their switches and to configure them when any network administrator can configure an HP switch. With Cisco, you need specialist knowledge and you don't really have to have specialist knowledge just for a switch.
Maintenance Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
They're reliable and stable, and we haven't had any downtime or speed issues.
Manager Networks and Infrastructure at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use different modules and you can just configure on top of it.

What other advice do I have?

You need to analyze and observe the performance.
System Consultant/Partner at IP Netpartner aps
The key feature is that we can choose ProVisions for simplicity or Comware-based switches for high-end features.

What other advice do I have?

Get some proper training.
Infrastructure Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Supportability is very important to us, so the fact that we can standardize on reasonably priced switches has made us more efficient.
Software-defined Networking Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The SDN features are centrally manageable and provide system-wide traffic control. However, the hardware table doesn't include byte count, so I installed flow rules in the software table.
Enterprise Network Architect at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
It has met all of our needs but tech support could be better.

What other advice do I have?

Hardware can last for a while. You have all of options to upgrade the switches, a lot of options to support the connectivities, like 1 GB, 10 GB, 40 GBs, different varieties of the switches. You can choose from. I just want to say that best thing about HP is they don't have a technology called a Spanning Tree Protocol, which can cause a lot of issues on your network, and HP kind of get rid of that. When you do a HP IRF, you kind of don't need that Spanning Tree, which is the most important part about HP. Other than that, again it's a hardware stability. Hardware stability, they have IRF for…
Senior Information Assurance Analyst at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
Its ability to have different modules installed for different media types allowed for easy configuration, but the OS was a little difficult to manage at times.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you are familiar with other vendors first. That will help give you the base knowledge on how to navigate and configure this equipment. When all else fails, use the Procurve manager software to manage the equipment.
Systems Analyst at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
PoE and VLAN allow for flexibility in our enterprise network because we can add VoIP and wireless access points if needed.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of similar models, so check the features available.
Technical Support Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Intelligent Resilient Framework (IRF) is a valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

The feature called IRF (Intelligent Resilient Framework) is unique in HP switching.

How has it helped my organization?

Switching functionality is the same as with other products, but the lifetime warranty makes HP preferable.

What needs improvement?

Customer support needs to improve.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 6/10.

Director of Data Center Eng at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
We chose HP as they were able to come up with some solutions that were a little outside of the box when things didn’t quite fit.

What other advice do I have?

You should look for high performance, low maintenance, open flow, and XLAN when choosing a solution. Compatibility with other products is also very important. Some routing protocols were required. Overall, the solution is a little more complicated than we initially wanted, but it’s pretty good. It’s going to be a learning and teaching experience for service providers. Solutions are there, but they’re not always the same methodologies for the same businesses.
Director of IT Operations with 1,001-5,000 employees
Both config and replicate configs are pretty easy on HP switches.

What other advice do I have?

Cost, reliability, serviceability, warranty, and not needing to purchase a support pack each year are important in helping choose the right vendor. Depending on what you need to accomplish the different models of the switches, start at the bottom and work up. A lot of functionality in the lower end switches may not be a need for the higher ones. Also, look at the stacking on the lower end switches. Support is great when needed, pricing is great, warranty can’t be beat, and lots of partners out there.
Level 2 Network Security Engineer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Offers standard security such as 802.1x, RADIUS/TACACS authentication, port-security, DHCP snooping

What other advice do I have?

Weigh out the Pro’s and Con’s between Cisco and HP and consider price as a last resort. Also, from my experiences it’s best to go with one solution then to mix and match different vendors.
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Forget reputation. Test HP and see why they are the best switches.
Senior Engineer at Planet Technologies
Used Cisco Catalyst Switches – changed due to cost of POE ports compared to HP.

What other advice do I have?

IF new to HP, read the documents. The OS is different than Cisco.
Executive Director Ops and Infra at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
HP Networking switches deliver high quality networking services with the modular ability to add capacity.
To support the success of every student, we leverage Oracle business intelligence tools for predictive modeling to identify when counseling intervention is needed. We need the capacity to run demanding applications, the uptime to operate around the clock, and the agility to react quickly to changing demands. HP and Columbus State University has a long standing relationship that started in 1995. HP account team, VAR partners nurtured that collaboration with CSU in to a successful partnership to lay a solid infrastructure foundation to position the university to transform to a global university. To meet these goals, we virtualized our data center running VMware software on HP Converged Infrastructure. HP was a natural choice. We had relied on HP servers, networking, and storage for more than…
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Converging our voice and data networking reduced costs, improved responsiveness to customers and achieved fast ROI.
Here at ECS, we provide business-critical technology solutions for Fortune 500 and mid-level companies. We are an HP Elite Partner that also uses HP solutions to optimize our own business efficiency. Recently, we replaced an outdated voice network with an end-to-end networking and telephony service from the HP and Microsoft Frontline Partnership. The results include lower costs, better internal collaboration and enhanced customer service. Networking and telephony services are critical – our company’s highly mobile field sales team travels and needs to collaborate quickly and easily with customers as well as with colleagues at our headquarters. We were challenged by an 18-year-old voice and voicemail solution that had grown costly and difficult to maintain. The telephone system, discrete…
Network QA Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
​The solution has made troubleshooting much easier for complex issues, like port disabled.

What is most valuable?

The features which have been most valuable are the ease of using the management console and the UI.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Multi port types in signal switch, which is easy to use and configurable.

I have been using this solution for 3 yrs.

No issues with deployment.

Sometimes flickery n/w issues which were stupidly insane though.

No issues with…
Senior Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
HP works well in small scale. HP needs to clean up the config files.

What is most valuable?

It used to be cheap for access switching - I'm not sure if that's still the case today.

What needs improvement?

Security and routing handling - also they need to clean up the config files.

Since 2003.

As far as switching goes no, I haven't had any issues with deployment.

MSM controllers can lose parts of its config in updates.

HP works well in small scale - large scale is not good with HP.

Customer Service: 3/5Technical Support: 3/5

I have…
Head of Technical Services with 51-200 employees
Takes away a lot of the manual labor by allowing us to identify and block threats and enable secure BYOD
Our K-12 school has an extensive campus which hosts 250 faculty and 1500 students, with over 240 students living in boarding houses. Our senior students and faculty members each have a school-provided laptop, while also allowing BYOD access to the network in boarding houses, and throughout the campus for select users. Our IT team faced numerous security challenges associated with allowing unmanaged devices onto the network. We needed a solution that could accurately and reliably prevent and report threats to the network, no matter who the user or what the device is. Despite implementing measures such as installing local antivirus software on the school-owned machines and intrusion prevention on the firewall, our team was still bogged down with hours of manually identifying and eliminating…
Network Analyst at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
We evaluated Cisco but HP configurations were more friendly...HP has great support and customer service.

What is most valuable?

Online monitoring

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has saved me time configuring the network.

What needs improvement?

Products always have room for improvement but nothing specific.

I have been using the solution for 2 years.

Customer Service: 5/5Technical Support: 5/5

The configurations were more friendly, but most of all price point.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What

Networking Operations Supervisor with 501-1,000 employees
HP Networking has the bells and whistles you need to scale while avoiding the complexity that other vendors have.
At DreamWorks Animation, we produce billions of pixels and thousands of assets for each of the ten movies in our production pipeline. Our studio is on a 24/7 production cycle and if performance suffers, it could have serious consequences for our business. Our previous network was pushed past its limits, making it unpredictable. We were using Spanning Tree for network redundancy and were having issues that we couldn’t fix. This forced us to reboot the core of our network at least once a quarter. Some of our more complex scenes take multiple days to render. If we had an outage 71 hours into a 72-hour render, we didn’t just lose the time the network wasn’t available, we had to start from scratch. After reviewing our options, we found that an HP Networking solution fulfilled our stability…
Engineer with 51-200 employees
Pricing beats the comparable Cisco switch by a small margin for some products and a huge margin for others
For some of the product families the pricing beats the comparable Cisco switch by a small margin. In other product families they beat the comparable Cisco switch by a huge margin. There are some missing features on the HP Procurve gear that I loved using on the Cisco gear (e.g., the NO SWITCHPORT command) but I pretty much have all the features I would generally need in a closet switch and >90% of the features I would need in a distribution-layer switch. I might find the missing 10% as I dig deeper into the platform.
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free HPE Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.