HPE Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE Ethernet Switches is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: HPE Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches

What is HPE Ethernet Switches?

HP has created the most open, integrated and software-defined networking portfolio and ecosystem of its kind – driving simplification with networks that understand, adapt to and protect your business applications in real-time. Only HP extends the momentum of software-defined networking everywhere–from the mobile edge to the heart of data centers.

HPE Ethernet Switches is also known as HP Ethernet Switches.

HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

HPE Ethernet Switches Customers
Emirates Palace Hotel
HPE Ethernet Switches Video

Archived HPE Ethernet Switches Reviews (more than two years old)

AB
CIO at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Low latency and easy to install, but a more modern interface is needed

• "The HPE Ethernet switches have very low latency."
  • "It would be helpful to have training available for this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our office network in an on-premises deployment.

It handles only our office traffic, and our main computers are on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

We use classical features such as trunking and VLAN. We don't really use the fancy stuff like SNMP.

The HPE Ethernet switches have very low latency.

What needs improvement?

The interface is old in appearance and needs to be modernized.

I would like to see better URL filters and security.

It would be helpful to have training available for this solution.

We have been using this solution for at least three years.

We have had no problem with respect to stability, and we are very happy.

We have not needed to scale this solution.

We had to contact technical support one time to update the software. It was not easy because this unit is very old. We could not find the current files on the HP support page.

Currently, we do not have a contract with technical support.

We had a NETGEAR solution and it was not stable. I did not like the interface because it was very slow. It was a pain to work with and maintain the configuration. It also had very high latency. After switching to HPE we have had no problem at all.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. It has been very easy to change the computers whenever we needed to.

Our deployment took approximately one day. It was easy to get working.

A single technician is enough for deployment and maintenance.

I have also been working with Cisco solutions, which are really great but there is a problem with integration. If everything is Cisco then it is very smooth, but if you mix vendors then it's a problem. This is the reason we did not choose Cisco here.

I have also worked with other kinds of switches like D-Link, but they are not for a business like ours.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product and also a support contract. I don't think that I would pay this price without getting the support.

We are happy with this solution but it is really an old model.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

BA
IT Manager at a maritime company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and configure and has a lifetime warranty

• "The best feature of this solution is the lifetime warranty."
  • "This solution needs to support software-defined networking."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our switches are located within the local office.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of this solution is the lifetime warranty.

This solution is easy to use and to configure.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to support software-defined networking.

The management needs to be more open so that they can be easily managed using external software.

I would like to see support for integration with hyper-converged solutions. For example, I would like to be able to manage these switches from VMware or from a Nutanix platform.

They need a new way to manage the access control system. They do have a solution for this, but it is very complicated and not suitable for the SMBs. It may be fine for large enterprises, but not for small companies.

We have been using this solution for about ten years.

This solution is very stable. We have rarely, perhaps one or two times, seen bugs, and they were not very serious. It's very stable compared to other routers.

In terms of scalability, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

We have not dealt with technical support for this solution.

We have reached out to our local partner, but it was just for clarification. Whenever we want to buy a new switch, we want to confirm the features like the stacking protocol. In terms of support, we have never had an issue that required we contact HPE.

The initial setup of this solution is easy. It is similar to Cisco and Huawei. There is not a big difference. They are all easy in terms of use and configuration.

The deployment takes between half a day and a day. There are advanced tools, and there is a template for configuration. You just have to change some parameters and that's it.

In some implementations that are large, people may need the right support from HPE or from local partners to do the configuration. It takes certain skills to do it properly.

We handled the deployment ourselves.

Whenever we purchase a new switch, we give everybody a chance. We have evaluated Cisco and Huawei hardware.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to HPE switches, as a recommendation, in the end it depends on the requirements. They have to know exactly what they need because HPE has all types and all levels of switches. They keep changing models, and sometimes we have challenges because we find out that two years later, the model is discontinued. Because of this, I say that it is important to purchase the latest model, and not one that is two or three years old because in another year it will be discontinued.

Learn what your peers think about HPE Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MR
IT Manager at City of Sedalia
User
I like the simplicity and warranty. We are a small shop, and being simple is best

What is our primary use case?

These are core switches, so they handle the bulk of our network traffic from servers to the endpoints as well as SAN traffic.

How has it helped my organization?

They switch. They are capable of much more sophistication than we are able to support.  The addition of Aruba looks promising.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity and warranty. We are a small shop, and being simple is best. These are basic managed switches and the lifetime warranty is great.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a common OS across models so that they could be managed together. But that is more in line with higher production equipment.

More than five years.

More than five years.
it_user365949
Network Administrator at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're using the Converge series of switches, and we're quite happy with the easy-to-use common line. They're easy to administer and manage.

What is most valuable?

We're using the Converge series of switches, and we're quite happy with the easy-to-use common line. They're easy to administer and manage, and never have any major problems. They're stable and reliable.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to offer every user very high-speed internet for both transferring data and downloading from the network. This is a solution that actually works best in a very high-speed environment.

What needs improvement?

All its features fit our needs right now. It's not too pricey and it's not a series that will end any time soon. We stick with what we know.

It's actually quite stable. We haven't had problems with performance, upgrades, updates, different versions, etc. We're quite happy with the stability.

Scalability is also quite nice because we're used to stacking the switches up to five or six units. It would be nice to be able to stack more than that, but we don't have the need for it right now, just in the future maybe.

The level of technical support depends on the topic. We've had some not-so-good experiences where our tickets were left open because they couldn't solve our problem.

The initial setup is quite complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would not suggest implementing MSM controller solutions, but you can't make a mistake with HP Converge series switches.

it_user339819
Founder and Principal Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
They have focused on building a highly programmable and open OS, but the technical support needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

They've had a commitment over the last five years to be amongst the most open out there. They are very easy to deploy and manage, and offer a lifetime warranty. Most other vendors who have tried this, have shied away from it. I think recently they have focused on building a highly programmable and open OS so you can create a very large ecosystem around it.

What needs improvement?

Building a bigger ecosystem around them, not just wired/wireless, but there's being able to bring other HP areas such as server and storage groups. At the moment, they operate as separate business areas, and they could clean that up a bit. Also, the technical support needs improvement,

They've been doing it for 15 years and have a very reliable product. The fact that they offer a lifetime warranty in some ways is a testament to the stability because if they were constantly failing and churning them out, it would be reflected in their financials.

Since the acquisition of 3COM they have data center equipment that can scale to the largest data centres out there. I think they were the first to offer 40GB and 100GB. This is some big iron stuff.

They've had their ups and downs. I think this is one area they can improve in. For a while, you used to get thrown into the queue with printers and all sorts of other stuff. So they've fixed that, and it's better, but still needs to be improved.

It's easy to get going. You can unbox it, plug it in and have it running quickly, but if you go into the advanced settings it can take longer.

What other advice do I have?

They've got a good product, but there's still room for improvement. I would be insistent that they help you integrate it with the non-HP services you have through their professional services.

it_user567831
ICT Infrastructure Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
It integrates with the IMC management platform. The OS features are not stable.

What is most valuable?

Its features are, in principle, quite standard and basic, so I cannot give you any extra information about these features. They integrate nicely with IMC, the management platform.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is to connect everybody in the office. You cannot imagine working nowadays without being connected to the network for computing, coding, and streaming. This is mandatory.

What needs improvement?

The main one would be to have more basic parameters available on the web interface. There are too many basic parameters that you have to change in the command line. This means you need to train your people regarding the command line, even when it means having to change quite basic parameters. For example, changing the parameter to give priority to voice over data traffic.

The stability is an issue. We have features that lose their configurations, like a port that was configured for VLAN 5 suddenly becomes configured for VLAN 2. It's really very annoying. People lose the connectivity, and nobody knows why, including HPE support specialists.

The OS features lose their configurations from time to time and we have periodic network freezes. Nobody understands why this happens. That's the problem, actually. There are nice features, but they are not very stable.

Scalability is nice. You can stack several of them, so no problem with scalability.

We use technical support a lot. When we bought these features in early 2015, they were quite new in the HPE offerings, and many re-sellers, consultants, and even HPE support staff didn't know very much about how they work and how to fine-tune and configure them.

We had major HPE-certified consultants on site. We even had HPE specialists connecting, and they couldn't manage to really improve the solution very quickly. Usually we are quite satisfied with HPE support. This is why we continue to buy servers from them and we just bought storage. However, the support was not as good for these specific features that were purchased by HPE, an external company.

We were using Nortel until two years ago. We moved to a new building, so we had to switch as there were no active network components available. We had been using Cisco before and we still use Cisco for the wireless infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor of ethernet switches, there are not so many alternatives on the market. We wanted to work with companies we are used to. We had to choose between Cisco and HPE. Because we've always been very happy with HPE and there was a brand new series of advanced features that integrated nicely with IMC, we selected the HPE product.

This solution is a brand new switch series with new firmware. I hope it will be more stable over time. It's a very good solution, but I would advise others to check that aspect carefully.

it_user567615
Head Of. Comm at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reliable and consistent service. Standard network switch functionality. Installation could be easier.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are:

• Reliability and consistency of service
  • Standard core functions you would expect from a network switch
  • Demonstration of price against performance.

What needs improvement?

I don't know all the products and all the background, but the issue is the single pane of management. Things like a single window to manage all the devices and better integration make a product or a company competitive. I guess having a competitive edge on that would be good. There is a little bit of routing from the HPE ProCurve switches. All the integration is there and moving it forward to a kind of stable, developed product is still progressing. There are lots of bits to the HPE network picture, so I think that needs to come together more clearly.

I have only been there six months of the three years that we’ve had the solution. The feedback I received is that it has become more stable and it has developed as time has gone on.

It scales for the method we have implemented at the moment. We have a large campus, over 500 buildings, so it supports that. We are in the middle of a review, so we are deciding on how we take the network forward as a strategy and then we will go to procurement. It may or may not be HPE in the future.

My previous experience has always been good. I have had no direct experience recently, but my team gets the support they need. They are happy with that.

I wasn’t involved in the installation. It was already in place. We are just using it as a rolling refresh for existing hardware. In terms of upgrades, I would say it is relativity straightforward. Probably not as slick as some solutions but it's not as convoluted as others. There is room for improvement.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a vendor, reliability, performance, obsessively competitive price comes into it, but it is also about supply chains and availability of stock. I had buyers in the past where you can't get equipment when you need it. It is important to have a good support chain. The vendors that we use need to be knowledgeable in the products and work closely with HPE, so that is probably a very important part of that puzzle. HPE has always been strong, I would say, and have had a good reseller and third party support market. I think it is a strong solution.

it_user362214
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

Valuable Features:

The ProVisions are actually very simple to use and are a very good, solid switch. It doesn't have all the advanced features, but they're coming. Now, they also have a DHT server running on them.

Room for Improvement:

It needs more routing and more VPN ports. These are included with the Comware-based switches, but not yet in the ProVisions.

Use of Solution:

We're using ProVision in the K15 v16, v17, and v18 software range.

Deployment Issues:

We've deployed them with no issues.

Scalability Issues:

We can scale them just fine.

Other Advice:

Just do it.

Room for Improvement:

Use of Solution:

We're using ProVision in the K15 v16, v17, and v18 software range.

Deployment Issues:

We've deployed them with no issues.

Scalability Issues:

We can scale them just fine.

Other Advice:

Just do it.

it_user362238
IT Administrator at AUTO GAMES PLUS, a.s.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are full command line support, VLANs, protocols for trunking, and the lifetime warranty. These switches are really good hardware with good stability.

Improvements to My Organization

It's given us a stable solution for our network.

Room for Improvement

Stacking of switches

We've deployed is without problems.

It's been stable.

We have about a hundred users.

I've used technical support only once. We needed support for a transceiver that was not supported, so technical support didn't help me. We chose another transceiver and everything worked as we expected.

Console port speed autodetect feature not work as we…

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

It's given us a stable solution for our network.

Room for Improvement

Stacking of switches

We've deployed is without problems.

It's been stable.

We have about a hundred users.

Console port speed autodetect feature not work as we expected and create some problems with connecting to switch. I think that better option is set up one port speed and write it to manuals.

it_user368631
Director Of Communications at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP

Valuable Features

The two biggest benefits of these switches is the performance for the price and the quality of service we get from them. They're competitively prices, especially given their performance, and the service is flawless.

Improvements to My Organization

We're able to extend our capabilities because of the reliability of these switches. We don't need to worry about this part of our network because we know that we can depend on them working consistently.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for four to five years.

It's quite stable after several years of use.

The scalability is very nice, especially with new products coming out. Enrollment onto our network works and there's no stability issues as we grow our workforce.

I'm the assigned tech guy within our company on these switches. We had a few hiccups at first that HP technical support helped us with, but we've been pleased since.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward since I was already familiar with the CLI.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It depends on which model, but it's not really more expensive than other solutions.

Other Solutions Considered

We didn't really evaluate other options.

Other Advice

Test the specific features you’re looking for with performance, and verify that you're get the best pricing.

it_user367791
IT Architect, freelance VMware virtualization consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The time it takes to implement them helps us work much more efficiently and customers are happy because because of the lower turnaround time to get their networks up and running.

Valuable Features

These switches are great because they're very easy to set up and to implement as part of network infrastructures. Most importantly, it covers all the areas that we need.

Improvements to My Organization

We install these switches for most of our customers at their premises. The time it takes to implement them is so much less than other vendors' switches. This helps us work much more efficiently and customers are happy because because of the lower turnaround time to get their networks up and running.

Room for Improvement

The interoperability with LDAP could use some improvement.

These switches deploy usually without any issue.

They are incredibly stable. We're able to use them for very challenging projects.

They scale very easily.

Technical support provides us with quick answers whenever we use them.

The initial setup of these is very straightforward.

it_user363333
IT Infrastructure/Applications at a educational organization with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is that it naturally works well with other HP products. Our headquarters uses HP products, and it only makes sense that we also do so in our office. Not only do we use HP switches, but we also use their APs and our entire wireless solution relies on HP products so that our infrastructure works together and has consistency.

What needs improvement?

I think that Cisco's switches are more stable, so HP's switches could really be improved more with stability. HP switches are also more expensive than 3COM switches, as we've spent close to two $2 million. It would be great if it were less expensive.

We purchased them in 2008, but haven't upgraded since.

It deploys with no issues.

We don't really have any issues with stability. If and when something goes wrong, we just restart them. Most of the problems we have are on the server side, which seems to be more sensitive for us.

We have four sites with more than 1,400 employees and more than 300 or 400 switches -- and there have been no scalability issues.

We used 3COM and then moved to Cisco, which was more stable. And then we moved to HP.

We looked at Cisco again, but they're expensive yet have a good reputation.

What other advice do I have?

HP switches are probably the best quality product for the price. That's the most important thing someone should look for when deciding which solution to use.

it_user361920
Founder & CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
They support both fiber-optic and copper modules. They should enable certain features on certain frequencies.

Valuable Features:

5400r are the core switches. These are recently launched and they are the newer version of the old 5400 series of switches, and we use them extensively in most of our projects as core switches. They're very, very robust, and we know if there's any major problems on these kind of switches here.

Improvements to My Organization:

They support different types of modules: fibre-optic and copper modules. They offer very good value for the price, and they come with some excellent XP support platforms on the background: the warranties, the care-packs, and all of that. People like these controllers compared to some of the competing products.

With the 5400R, it's a very competitive price, and the product is very stable. We've seen a lot of people buying these products. Frankly, we've not seen any migrations, but people are buying it because of the good price and stability. It has got the right features for the kind of markets we are targeting.

Room for Improvement:

They should enable certain features on certain frequencies.

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

There are more than 50 of such switches we have deployed, and we are hardly facing any problems with these switches. Again, they're very stable.

Scalability Issues:

If a client wants to start with a lower number of modules, they can do that. And if they want to add more modules, they can do that as well and still use the same modules.

Initial Setup:

The 5400 is fairly simple, not very complex. But it needs proper training and certification otherwise. We've seen people deploying this product, some of the companies in Dubai, and they didn't do it the proper way.

it_user364623
Deputy Head of Department of Computer Science at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it to connect to our HP BladeSystem, which enables us to communicate. We're not a very big company, so this is really important to us.

Valuable Features

It's the only connection point we use to connect to our network. We really rely on it for that because we don't use anything else.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

Although it connects to our BladeSystem, we still have problems with the overall integration with the switches, BladeSystem, and 3PAR. So it's important to us that that integration is improved so that our entire infrastructure of HP solutions works together.

Use of Solution

We've used it for three-four years now.

We haven't had deployment issues.

We haven't had problems with instability.

We have around 40 VLANs and two sites that are about 10 kilometers apart. That's a lot of volume across a long distance, and the switches have no problem with it.

Even with Level-1 service, they're very helpful.

It was complex, but HP did it for us.

Implementation Team

HP did everything for us.

Other Solutions Considered

We were looking at not only the network piece, but all parts of our infrastructure, including solutions from Dell, IBM, and EMC.

Other Advice

Make sure you plan everything, deciding you want to manage and how the system should work. You want to be able to do just one config and forget about it.

it_user364188
Program Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's allowed us to redesign our whole data center and networking architecture. Now it's stable and we've been able to scale.

Valuable Features

They meet my business requirements as I use an application that's hosted in the cloud, in our data center, and on our network. I can "zoom the surfaces."

Improvements to My Organization

We used to have an unstructured data center without proper networking diagnostics. The data mines flow from different locations without a proper networking design. HP's people redesigned our whole data center and networking architecture. It's been stable and we've been able to scale. All I need to do is ask for any number of servers and they immediately create VMs.

Room for Improvement

There are RAM limitations on the VMs and I can't install certain apps on HP VMs.

Use of Solution

It was installed three years ago.

It's deployed just fine for us.

It's very stable. Any downtime we had was scheduled. The design was redundant with double false switches.

Actually, we scaled up. We increased the the number of modules to meet the requirements we got from our branches.

Support in Saudi Arabia is different than if you compare it with other countries. If I give them a mark out of 10, I can give them eight. Support by HPE has met our expectations.

Setup was complex, but they helped us out a lot.

it_user362211
System Consulent/Partner at IP Netpartner Aps
They're dependable and we don't have to worry about them. Free and unlimited access to software for the switches would be very nice.

Valuable Features:

All the ProVisions and Comware-based switches work very, very well. They work and are very dependable at a reasonable price. The lifetime warranty is also a very nice feature.

Improvements to My Organization:

We don't have to worry about them, which means we can focus on more important things. They are dependable and the lifetime warranty is great. The price performance factor is very good.

Room for Improvement:

Free and unlimited access to software for the switches would be very nice.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Scalability Issues:

They've scaled well for us.

ROI:

The lifetime warranty is actually what typically can make or break a deal. It figures heavily into determining return-on-investment. Not having to pay extra for the lifetime warrant is what make the deal, for us, on these switches.

Other Advice:

Make use of the free manuals on the HP website. Just download them. They're actually quite good.

it_user359700
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's the proper GUI interface that makes them much easier to use. The fans tend to get more and more noisy as they go along.

Valuable Features:

They're reliable -- very reliable, in fact -- and a have a good management interface. They're simple to use and quite easy to understand, and I like that they're not CLI. It's the proper GUI interface that makes them much easier to use rather than just having the CLI which makes some of them very difficult. Cisco, for example, is only CLI, but HP gives you a GUI.

They're also very configurable and they're very good.

Improvements to My Organization:

The main benefit is reliability. The switches don't go down and they tend to last for a long time. They just don't go down.

They also only rarely need rebooting. I can probably count on one hand the number of times we've had to reboot an HP switch.

Room for Improvement:

They are very noisy, though, and the fans tend to get more and more noisy as they go along. The noise is actually a pain because sometimes where we've got multiple floors, we might put a switch on each floor rather than just put them in the comms room, and there the noise is an absolute pain. They are just very noisy.

Stability Issues:

That's why we like them, because they're stable. They're very reliable and they just last. The PO switches are also very good.

Scalability Issues:

You can scale by adding fiber connections to the switches which makes it simpler to join switches together, but we haven't found the need for it because the switch is so configurable.

Other Solutions Considered:

Yes, we have used competitors. We have used Dell, which is absolutely lousy. D-Link has some high-end switches, but they just don't come close.

Other Advice:

They're not Cisco, and big companies want to see a name like Cisco. True, HP isn't Cisco, but that's a bit unfair. Having that said, we've got one very big company now with about 200 users who are getting rid of their Cisco switches and putting in HP's.

They're doing so because of HP's reliability and because they got fed up with paying Cisco prices to get their switches and to configure them when any network administrator can configure an HP switch. With Cisco, you need specialist knowledge and you don't really have to have specialist knowledge just for a switch.

it_user360441
Maintenance Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
They're reliable and stable, and we haven't had any downtime or speed issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is just their reliability. We've never had any problems with them at all. They are quality products that are better than the competition. They were also very easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

It needs better monitoring and alerting for issues. We use HP Intel Management Center, which is good, but there are a few extra things they can improve.

We have been using them probably for about five years now.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's been stable and we haven't had any downtime.

It's scaled for our needs.

We have not had to use any technical support. Our support comes from the company from which we bought the switches. They set them up for us and they provide very good technical support. We've used them for over ten years.

We previously used Cisco and were a 3COM user when HP bought them and converted them to switches. We switched because of performance issues, and now we have very, very good performance. We have no speed issues with the licensing network.

The initial setup was not overly complex. We've got two sites and we use them on both sites. So we've had no problems, but we only have 250 users.

The company we bought the switches from implemented them for us.

The price point is good when performance is taken into account compared to their competition.

We looked at HP first and didn't really consider anyone else.

it_user362733
Manager Networks and Infrastructure at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use different modules and you can just configure on top of it.

Valuable Features

Throughput is the most valuable feature for me, and penetration in the central data center. We use different modules and you can just configure on top of it. We have a fiber channel because my building is tethered with five, six floors. I need to get all this fiber to be connected to the switches. One switch solved the issue with high availability. The second connected all our server devices. We sliced it to our switch based on our requirement.

Room for Improvement

They need to improve the GUI interface for the switches, the access layer switch in particular, with complete details so we can track each and every port. This will make it easier to find the gaps in performance.

Also, on two or three occasions, heat distribution caused a problem because we penetrate this to a different floor and a fan got damaged, stopped, and emitted a lot of heat.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for four years.

I've had no issues deploying it.

I haven't had any issues with instability.

The upgrades are all pretty easy. We do the frequent upgrades based on the release notes of HP and it's going well for us.

Technical support is very good from HP especially because they give a lifetime warranty for the hardware. It depends on the support of what you've taken, for example, if you've been highly response level of followers. Now in Saudi Arabia, you can say the after-sales support has improved a lot. It's not only HP switching part, to be frank, it's HP with servers and anytime we open a case we can order pretty quickly as consultants.

The initial setup was simple because initially I used to have a Cisco switches, which was four years ago, and an old model. Configuration and backups are easy. Backups we configure on the solar vents and they're very much pretty integrated with the solar vents.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated Cisco, but they were very expensive in terms of total cost of ownership.

Other Advice

You need to analyze and observe the performance.

it_user362208
System Consultant/Partner at IP Netpartner aps
The key feature is that we can choose ProVisions for simplicity or Comware-based switches for high-end features.

Valuable Features

From the low-end ProVisions up to the high-end Comware-based switches, their most valuable feature is that they actually work. Not all switches can do that, especially at a reasonable price. HP's switches offer price performance you can't find anywhere else.

Improvements to My Organization

These switches provide us with simplicity when we need. The ProVisions have fewer features and fewer functionality, but they're simpler. If we need, we can go with the Comware-based switches which have high-end features. So with these switches we can have both sides.

We had no issues with deployment.

They have been stable.

We've been able to scale with these switches.

Technical support is mostly good, but it's just like every other vendor. When you're at level 1 and you yourself are very knowledgable already, you just want to pass level 1. Level 2 is, normally, quite good, and level 1 is just a filter to take away all the stupid questions. If you're at level 3, you're probably in trouble because you have something that requires you to talk directly to the lab. So with the tiered structure for technical support, there are some inefficiencies. It would be an improvement to make technical support more efficient.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated Cisco and Juniper. They are considered high-end providers, but HP can more or less do it all. For small, medium, and enterprise businesses, HP has a very good product range.

Other Advice

Get some proper training.

it_user360837
Infrastructure Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

We're quite basic users of the product, so we like how simple it is to setup. We're standardized across the board on HP products, and we like that fact that they do have products that fit our needs. Plus, they're easy to install when we get them. They're easy to use once they're in and they're robust with a lifetime warranty.

Improvements to My Organization

We're able to standardize on just a small number of HP products, switches included. Supportability is very important to us, so the fact that we can standardize on reasonably priced switches has made us more efficient.

Room for Improvement

We're quite basic users, but what I'd really like to see improvement on is the management. We've made an investment in the product and I'd like to better leverage it through improved management to work better for our company.

It's deployed just fine for us.

It's very stable and we have very few issues with it. The fact that they come with lifetime warranties makes it even better for us.

The scalability is very good and we're using it in all 85 of our locations.

I've not used technical support, and that's a good thing.

Other Solutions Considered

We do pricing reviews to make sure that we're still getting good value for the money, and we are. We haven't really got any issues with the products, so there's not really any reason to change to those.

Software-defined Networking Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The SDN features are centrally manageable and provide system-wide traffic control. However, the hardware table doesn't include byte count, so I installed flow rules in the software table.

Valuable Features:

The Software-Defined Networking (SDN) features I find most valuable are:

• Directly programmable and configurable
  • Centrally manageable
  • Control traffic system-wide

Room for Improvement:

I think that the HP Openflow switches should be improved in terms of the open-flow byte-count statistics.

I used SDN because my master thesis is about the visualization of traffic in the network per application with SDN, so I have worked with HP switches almost along all this year. In my thesis the byte count was very important for the conclusions, but I noticed that this feature had some problems and errors.

My little experience tells me that everything starts because the hardware table (table 100) doesn't have the byte count. So I had to install the flow rules in the software table (table 200) which has a limit-rate, that may be the reason for the relative errors that I found.

I used a host as an iPerf server and another one as an iPerf client and then I compared the open-flow byte count against the byte count provided by the iPerf console.

Use of Solution:

I have used this solution for six months.

Stability Issues:

The switch manual say that the device supports up to four mirrorings. But when I configured two port mirrorings, the SDN controller interface was blocked and the mirrorings didn't work.

Scalability Issues:

The Openflow hardware table doesn't provide a byte-count statistic, and the software table provides a byte-count statistic but with errors.

I found that the possible reason for this is that the software-limit rate of the switch, which is 10,000 pps maximum, with an advice in the switch manual that if we increase the limit-rate above 1,000 pps, it is possible that this increases CPU and impacts system performance.

it_user285354
Enterprise Network Architect at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
It has met all of our needs but tech support could be better.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you do not require a spanning tree. With some of the other vendors, some of the other competitors, you require a spanning tree which cause a lot of looping issues in your data center or in your network. The other thing is, the HP 5400 switches comes with a lifetime warranty, so you don't have to invest anything onto a contract side, which is very good thing about it. The 5400 switches, you can use as a whole or access layer in your network and work out great.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are it's been running robust, the hardware is running robust, no issues at all. It's lifetime warranty again. From the hardware standpoint, configure standpoint, it's all working fine.

What needs improvement?

I don't know about specifics, but so far all the switches that we deployed, it meets all of our needs. For what we require, it has all of features. It also varies on the switch by switch version, and it depends on what kind of switches you have. For me, right now it's meeting all my needs, so I don't have any complaints about it.

We deployed HP for almost five years and it's been rock solid. All the switches, no single-out days with the switches. The switches hardware have a long life, and it has been working great for us.

Stability is pretty good, as I say that we deployed HP, it's been about four years and we haven't had a single out day in my data center. I can't ask anything more than that.

All the hardware that we have, our portfolio at HP, it's pretty scalable to the latest and greatest technology. You can have a 40 GIG QSFP Uplink for the top of Rex switches, or even one for your core switches, that's over 40 GIG, 100 GIG Uplink. That is what everybody is going towards now, with all the data centers. It's up to the mark.

To me, the technical support is not that good. Trust me, we don't use the technical support anymore from HP because we tried to use them and we didn't get much of a response from them. I know everybody's experience is different, but we try to do it by ourselves. We try to figure out by ourselves if any kind of software issue or any kind of hardware issue. The support, we didn't get much response from HP about the software support, configuration support, we just tried by ourselves, but hardware, it's pretty good.

With the old technology we were paying more money with the context. Obviously, we were having a lot of issues with the Data Center, where Data Center used to go down with the old legacy technology. We decided to move forward with RFP. We evaluated a few vendors in the market and after evaluation we decided to go with HP and it's been working out great for us.

When we started deploying, it was H3C and they have a different division, Comware, and HP are 5400 Series, they have a different set up command lines. Now, they are making everything together on the Comware division. When we deployed, it depends on the switches. If you buy Comware switches, they have a different command set compared to HP or H3C switches. It was kind of hard for us to learn the command line initially, but now we are all comfortable with it and it's working fine. Since they are all HP now, all the switches, they only have a one command line in the Comware 7, if you have that, it's pretty easy to deploy initially.

We tried Cisco, we tried Dell. Again, it's more robust and the most important factor was a price. I just look at the technology and see if it meets your needs for your data center and not in HP, looks like they did, they did meet our needs, what we needed for our data center, for our campus, branch offices and it's been working out great.

What other advice do I have?

Hardware can last for a while. You have all of options to upgrade the switches, a lot of options to support the connectivities, like 1 GB, 10 GB, 40 GBs, different varieties of the switches. You can choose from.

I just want to say that best thing about HP is they don't have a technology called a Spanning Tree Protocol, which can cause a lot of issues on your network, and HP kind of get rid of that. When you do a HP IRF, you kind of don't need that Spanning Tree, which is the most important part about HP.

Other than that, again it's a hardware stability. Hardware stability, they have IRF for the switches to virtualize your switches. The easy set of command line, with the new Comware 7.

it_user142143
Senior Information Assurance Analyst at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
Its ability to have different modules installed for different media types allowed for easy configuration, but the OS was a little difficult to manage at times.

What is most valuable?

I liked the scalability of the 5400 and 4200. It's ability to have different modules installed for different media types allowed for easy configuration.

How has it helped my organization?

Ease of configuration.

What needs improvement?

I found that the OS on these switches was a little difficult to manage at times. Configuration menus were not always user friendly even for someone with previous Nortel and Cisco experience. One Saving grace was the Procurve manager software. That made things a little easier to manage but I am still a command line person and would have preferred a more user intuitive command line.

I used the switches, HP Procurve 5400ZL and 4200VL as well as the 3500yl, for a little over a year.

I did not deploy these switches. They were in place when I started working with them.

No. That is one thing I liked about them.

Never had to call HP - NA

Never had to call HP - NA

I had previously used Nortel and CIsco in a previous position. I switched due to a job change.

The initial set up of the switches was relatively easy. It has a list of questions that you answered similar to Cisco. The problem with this type of setup is it does not cover everything that should be set up on a switch when doing initial configuration.

All implementation and configuration was accomplished with in-house network engineers and administrators.

Unknown.

Unknown.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you are familiar with other vendors first. That will help give you the base knowledge on how to navigate and configure this equipment. When all else fails, use the Procurve manager software to manage the equipment.

it_user283434
Systems Analyst at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
PoE and VLAN allow for flexibility in our enterprise network because we can add VoIP and wireless access points if needed.

What is most valuable?

• Power over Ethernet (PoE)
  • Virtual LAN

How has it helped my organization?

PoE and VLAN allow for flexibility in our enterprise network because we can add VoIP and wireless access points if needed.

What needs improvement?

Graphical User Interface (GUI) needs enhancement. Also, using a controller to support multiple access points would help manage and monitor our wireless network. VoIP requires QoS and our switches can work with it. We just need time to really implement across the board.

I've used it for three to four years.

No issues encountered.

It was an upgrade from older HP models.

It was straightforward, but we aren't maximizing all the switch features for our enterprise.

We did it in-house.

We have years left on this device as well as GB ports, and PoE.

They have very aggressive pricing compared to Cisco.

We also looked at Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of similar models, so check the features available.

it_user268164
Technical Support Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Intelligent Resilient Framework (IRF) is a valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

The feature called IRF (Intelligent Resilient Framework) is unique in HP switching.

How has it helped my organization?

Switching functionality is the same as with other products, but the lifetime warranty makes HP preferable.

What needs improvement?

Customer support needs to improve.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 6/10.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Customer support needs to improve.

I've used it for one year.

8/10.

6/10.

I've used many products, but switching to HP depends on the customers requirement and the lifetime warranty.

It was straightforward with basic, simple switching and good documents available for reference.

We used an in-house team assisted by easily-available technical documents and user-friendly CLI.

It's the best product and has a lower failure rate.

Pretty good in switching, and the pricing is also good in comparison with others.

No other options evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Refer to best practices and technical documents.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: HP Partners
it_user251244
Director of Data Center Eng at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
We chose HP as they were able to come up with some solutions that were a little outside of the box when things didn’t quite fit.

What is most valuable?

I would say, to start with, the most valuable feature is that HP is not too different from existing systems. You don’t have to change too much the mode of operation that the ops teams are used to, and the command interfaces are workable.

How has it helped my organization?

We’re still in the implementation phase.

What needs improvement?

We’ve been getting fixes for things that were missing initially, but v6 support is there and has everything we need.

Because this is a modular device, we feel we can use scale in the future. The IRF is also important to us.

Overall good. We’re running into some issues when looking at beta code, something HP isn't focused on. The support people don’t want to talk too much about that.

We’re basically trying to look at an openstack infrastructure solution. We’re using it on a voice-over-infrastructure, supporting IMS. We’re using a Cisco solution right now.

I would say it’s no more complex than anything else, so we’re learning that people are protecting systems a bit differently.

We looked at -

• Cisco
  • Juniper
  • Alcatel Lucent
  • HP
  • Aresta
  • Erickson

We chose HP because they met most of the criteria that we were looking at, and they were able to come up with some solutions that were a little outside of the box when things didn’t quite fit. They were more proactive on the sales/engineering side and with pre-solution support.

What other advice do I have?

You should look for high performance, low maintenance, open flow, and XLAN when choosing a solution. Compatibility with other products is also very important. Some routing protocols were required.

Overall, the solution is a little more complicated than we initially wanted, but it’s pretty good. It’s going to be a learning and teaching experience for service providers. Solutions are there, but they’re not always the same methodologies for the same businesses.

it_user251229
Director of IT Operations with 1,001-5,000 employees
Both config and replicate configs are pretty easy on HP switches.

What is most valuable?

Manageability and interfacing with other various networking management platforms have been most valuable for us. We use SolarWinds and are looking at Omnivew.

How has it helped my organization?

The warranty is great and so is lifetime on most hardware. Both config and replicate configs are pretty easy on HP switches.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a POE ability added to the devices. We’ve used a lot of POE switches recently, HP and non-HP, and we want to standardize on HP. Our requirements are often that we need a very small 8-port switch and would like a version like this.

Also, I’d like to see the functionality of higher-end switches and some features of the 2900 series on the lower-end ones as well.

I’ve put in a few solutions, including HP and others in the past. I had problems with Extreme and Cisco, but only minimal ones with HP.

It actually has great scalability. We have high-end switches and are putting in a core switch in the next few months. We also use managed switches. Every need has a solution.

It’s been great. I’ve reached out directly to the account rep who is very willing to help. With issues, they are able to help directly when our channel partners who can’t help. Support is timely, too, and it's easy to get to a live person.

We used a mixed bag of various vendors, but wanted to standardize on one platform that we knew was stable, reputable, and easily serviced by multiple channel partners if needed. We looked at others, but HP dominated.

We’ve engaged with many channel partners, and it has been very straightforward. We tweaked things here and there. We forgot a parameter, etc., but nothing big.

• Extreme
  • Cisco
  • Lower end switches – Linksys

What other advice do I have?

Cost, reliability, serviceability, warranty, and not needing to purchase a support pack each year are important in helping choose the right vendor.

Depending on what you need to accomplish the different models of the switches, start at the bottom and work up. A lot of functionality in the lower end switches may not be a need for the higher ones. Also, look at the stacking on the lower end switches.

Support is great when needed, pricing is great, warranty can’t be beat, and lots of partners out there.

it_user154293
Level 2 Network Security Engineer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Offers standard security such as 802.1x, RADIUS/TACACS authentication, port-security, DHCP snooping

What is most valuable?

It has standard layer 2 functions with basic layer 3 features if needed. It offers standard security such as 802.1x, RADIUS/TACACS authentication, port-security, DHCP snooping and much more.

What needs improvement?

Interface types, such as offering more of a mixture of 1Gb and 10Gb fiber/cooper interfaces. Faster backbone speeds when stacked.

HP 2920 The companies I have installed it for have kept it for roughly for 2-3 years.

No issues. However, the CLI is a bit different from Cisco but once you have the HP terminology down it’s easy so long as you plan the deployment properly.

I haven’t heard any complaints from customers that I worked with.

No. These switches can be outfitted with two 10Gb modules on the back for up links to other switches or to hosts. It can also be stacked with another 2920 for better port density.

Clients who choose the HP 2920 switch 9 times out of 10 had older Cisco switches. They felt moving to HP would be more cost effective.

It was straightforward especially if you're a custom to using Cisco switches. The CLI and terminology are a bit different and might confuse several engineers. Fortunately, HP has released a document that states the equivalent HP commands.

I have helped clients weigh out the pro’s and con’s and in the end it always came down to cost and 9 times out of 10 HP won the cost battle.

What other advice do I have?

Weigh out the Pro’s and Con’s between Cisco and HP and consider price as a last resort. Also, from my experiences it’s best to go with one solution then to mix and match different vendors.
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Forget reputation. Test HP and see why they are the best switches.

What is most valuable?

Product range, ease of use, best-in-class warranty

10 years

HP Networking were limited to the large mid-market/small corporate until they acquired 3com

Customer Service: Excellent customer focus from a channel-driven organisationTechnical Support: Annoying L1 support, world-class L3 support

I used a variety of vendors prior to adopting HP; Cisco for the high-end and various "prosumer" brands for customers on a budget. HP gave me quality that equalled or surpassed Cisco with a TCO within range of D-Link/Netgear

One of the strongest features of HP ProCurve switches is how easy they are to configure/deploy

In-house

I have deployed hundreds of HP solutions for customer; mostly replacing Cisco over the last several years. The typical ROI is < 2 years with some coming within 12 months

Yes. I continued to consider Cisco as well as evaluating other "1st tier" vendors such as Extreme, Brocade/Foundry and Juniper
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a consultant/solutions architect that has freely chosen to endorse HP switches following extensive industry experience (>20 years) and after having significant experience with other vendors' products
Senior Engineer at Planet Technologies
Used Cisco Catalyst Switches – changed due to cost of POE ports compared to HP.

What is most valuable?

Some valuable features include cost per Gigabit Port, Layer 3 Capability, POE Support.

How has it helped my organization?

By reducing the need for an in-line power source over Ethernet using injectors for small devices, we are able to power wireless access points. Additionally, cameras, and telephones from a single device.

What needs improvement?

Additional Routing Protocols, such as OSPF could be implemented for larger scale Layer 3 capability.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Excellent

Excellent

Cisco Catalyst Switches – changed due to cost of POE ports in Cisco compared to HP.

Very straightforward. The system was pre-programmed with an ip address – simply attach to the ip address and program. The system acts as a normal switch before turning the other functions on.

In-house team.

350% due to stability in the product, low power use, and administrative requirements such as down time.

$3158 for the switch itself. $288 in costs over 3 years for Power and Cooling.

No, due to the cost.

What other advice do I have?

IF new to HP, read the documents. The OS is different than Cisco.

it_user148020
Executive Director Ops and Infra at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
HP Networking switches deliver high quality networking services with the modular ability to add capacity.
To support the success of every student, we leverage Oracle business intelligence tools for predictive modeling to identify when counseling intervention is needed. We need the capacity to run demanding applications, the uptime to operate around the clock, and the agility to react quickly to changing demands. HP and Columbus State University has a long standing relationship that started in 1995. HP account team, VAR partners nurtured that collaboration with CSU in to a successful partnership to lay a solid infrastructure foundation to position the university to transform to a global university. To meet these goals, we virtualized our data center running VMware software on HP Converged Infrastructure. HP was a natural choice. We had relied on HP servers, networking, and storage for more than…

To meet these goals, we virtualized our data center running VMware software on HP Converged Infrastructure. HP was a natural choice. We had relied on HP servers, networking, and storage for more than a decade. We also use HP Z Workstations in our computer labs, HP notebooks for faculty and staff, and HP printers around campus. We keep abreast of other vendor technologies, but we’ve always had a good relationship with HP. HP integrates well with the VMware platform—and when we upgraded and consolidated our servers, HP was a fantastic guide. We used HP Technology Consulting Services to design a new high performance, energy efficient data center. We consolidated from approximately 200 physical servers down to an eight-blade HP BladeSystem infrastructure that requires less electricity and cooling, and that even reduced footprint enough to allow us to rent out freed floor space. HP consultants came in and worked with us on the design of our revamped data center, all the way from security to redundancy, including air conditioning systems, fiber coming in and out, and generator systems with backups.

At the heart of our data center is the HP BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure that provides all the power, cooling, and I/O infrastructure needed to support modular server, interconnect, and storage components. I’ve always been impressed by the modularity of HP equipment. You can tailor it to specific needs to be more flexible and to save money. You can add capacity when you need it. Our enclosure houses eight production blade servers. We use HP ProLiant BL685c Server Blades to house most of its test and production virtual machines. A blade is a self-contained server that contains only the core processing elements, making it hot-swappable. For additional storage, blades can connect to another storage blade or to a network attached SAN. We run our test and non-production systems on HP ProLiant DL385 Servers.

The HP StoreVirtual P4500 Storage System gives us a virtualized pool of storage resources to deliver enterprise SAN functionality. You have storage but also brains behind it. You have multiple interconnected servers. The data that gets written out to that storage is spread across all the different servers and disk drives. That gives us two main advantages. One is redundancy, so that if a drive or even an entire storage node goes down, we don’t lose data, and the end user never knows it happened. Two, if you’re writing to or reading from multiple disks, you can store and retrieve data much faster. You spread out the hardware load and the risk across multiple nodes of storage, all acting as one.

We used HP LeftHand SAN/ iQ software to provision and manage storage, and thanks to tight integration between HP and VMware, envision being able to monitor and manage the environment from a central VMware vSphere platform.

ability to add capacity. The HP Networking Lifetime Warranty delivers next-business-day replacement, with phone and email support. One of the reasons HP has a leg up on the competition is its lifetime warranty and maintenance. With some vendors, you have to buy maintenance agreements every year, and that gets expensive. HP Network Management software enables network firmware updates, notifications, and alerts, with single-pane-of- glass control. Recently, we started talking to HP about HP Software-defined Networking (SDN), providing an end-to-end solution to automate the network from data center to campus. We’ll be able to virtualize network components for redundancy, performance and high availability—have multiple physically separate network components act as one unit, so that if switch A goes down switch B takes over for it.

Server provisioning in the virtualized environment takes 30 minutes, compared to 30 days to provision a new physical server. That enables us to quickly adapt our network and systems to accommodate increasing traffic, new services, and demanding applications. Faculty today increasingly run “upside down” classrooms, providing lecture content in multimedia formats to be viewed beforehand, with class time spent working collaboratively in small workgroups. They also expect the latest educational applications to be available quickly in computer labs. In the past, it took a substantial amount of time for our staff to reimage computer lab devices; now the task is quickly accomplished, and we are even able to give end users some self-service access to machines and their functionality. The next step will be to leverage VMware for a more cloudlike, IT-as-a-Service environment in which staff can provision their own resources without calling on our IT department. Our HP CI foundation absolutely will support this evolution.

Another thing the infrastructure now supports is the predictive analytics we employ to trigger counseling intervention for students in need. We use Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition(OBIEE); Oracle Data Integrator (ODI); and Oracle Endeca Information Discovery to analyze unstructured data, such as that generated by social media, to detect when a student might be encountering academic, social, or financial difficulties. We have a goal and responsibility to reach out, intercede, and support students as soon as they are having difficulties. Those things would not have been possible in the old environment; it couldn’t have handled the bandwidth or processing. But successful universities of the future will have to do all this.

Disclosure: IT Central Station has made contact with the reviewer to validate that the person is a real user. The information in the posting is based upon a vendor-supplied case study, but the reviewer has confirmed the content's accuracy.
it_user148017
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Converging our voice and data networking reduced costs, improved responsiveness to customers and achieved fast ROI.
Here at ECS, we provide business-critical technology solutions for Fortune 500 and mid-level companies. We are an HP Elite Partner that also uses HP solutions to optimize our own business efficiency. Recently, we replaced an outdated voice network with an end-to-end networking and telephony service from the HP and Microsoft Frontline Partnership. The results include lower costs, better internal collaboration and enhanced customer service. Networking and telephony services are critical – our company’s highly mobile field sales team travels and needs to collaborate quickly and easily with customers as well as with colleagues at our headquarters. We were challenged by an 18-year-old voice and voicemail solution that had grown costly and difficult to maintain. The telephone system, discrete…

Networking and telephony services are critical – our company’s highly mobile field sales team travels and needs to collaborate quickly and easily with customers as well as with colleagues at our headquarters. We were challenged by an 18-year-old voice and voicemail solution that had grown costly and difficult to maintain. The telephone system, discrete from our data network, was supported by analogue T-1 PRI voice circuits with high monthly voice network charges from a nationwide telecommunications provider.

We sought a more cost-effective IP telephony solution to replace the existing telecommunications system. We needed a proven solution to replace our legacy voice and voicemail system that would ensure our customer communication would continue without disruption. We also wanted to provide our employees with additional capabilities not present in our traditional phone system.

We aimed to convergeour legacy voice system onto our current, highly available HP data network; unify multiple voicemail systems into the company’s Microsoft® Exchange 2010 cluster; and eliminate use of costly third-party Web and audio conferencing tools. In searching for a new solution, we wanted full integration capability with Microsoft® Office; high resilience and performance; sufficient capacity to support IP telephony and other applications; and scalability to support growth.

We considered IP telephony solutions from Avaya, Cisco and others but found them expensive and lacking functionality. We chose HP and Microsoft Unified Communications and Collaboration with Microsoft® Lync™ Instant Messaging, Presence, Web Conferencing and Converged Voice.

Through their worldwide Frontline Partnership, HP and Microsoft have designed and engineered this solution to work seamlessly. We trust the HP/Microsoft Frontline Partnership to provide fully engineered and tested solutions, supported by two outstanding vendors.

The backbone of our end-to-end networking and telephony solution is HP Converged Infrastructure, which brings together server, HP Converged Storage and networking resources with holistic management tools.

We leveraged our existing HP infrastructure with modest additional investments in a third HP ProLiant DL380 Server, a minor upgrade to HP Networking 2910 PoE Switches, and HP 4120 IP phones. The environment runs on Microsoft Windows® 2008 and is virtualized with VMware® vSphere software in a DRS cluster on the ProLiant servers. HP StoreVirtual 4000 Storage provides robust storage with a three-node, scale-out iSCSi cluster; HP Data Protector Software with Veeam backup; an HP StoreEver MSL Tape Library; and HP UPS power protection. HP Intelligent Management Center (IMC) software provides end-to-end management. In addition to Lync, this infrastructure runs all our business applications including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server® and, soon, Microsoft SharePoint®, for approximately 30 workers.

The new communications system simplifies how everyone here works. Frequently on the road, instead of punching in long conference line data I hit “join now” on my smartphone application for fast connections to branded conferences.

At customer sites, I use my HP Spectre Notebook PC for Web Conferencing and Instant Messaging. The Frontline solution improves customer service and enhances internal collaboration—all at a cost of less than half the previous service. We expect to achieve Return on Investment (ROI) in less than two years.

We were able to add capacity to our existing HP Converged Infrastructure to accommodate the new Lync environment. This simple expansion of our virtual environment had the added benefit of providing for a highly- available telephony solution. We then could collapse our separate voice and data networks into single-provider network that provided us with a lower cost solution to meet our overall communications requirements. Our team is rarely in the office together during the day. The HP and Microsoft Unified Communications solution allows us to collaborate very effectively whether in the office, mobile or remote.

it_user143979
Network QA Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
​The solution has made troubleshooting much easier for complex issues, like port disabled.

What is most valuable?

The features which have been most valuable are the ease of using the management console and the UI.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Multi port types in signal switch, which is easy to use and configurable.

I have been using this solution for 3 yrs.

No issues with deployment.

Sometimes flickery n/w issues which were stupidly insane though.

No issues with…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Multi port types in signal switch, which is easy to use and configurable.

I have been using this solution for 3 yrs.

No issues with deployment.

Sometimes flickery n/w issues which were stupidly insane though.

No issues with scalability but had to use multiple switches of 24 port in cascade which was a risk for reliability in terms of speed.

We never encountered the customer service, had to solve our issues ourselves in the HP lab.

We previously used 48 port or other vendor switches.

Initial setup was no problem.

We implemented in-house.

Good ROI, value for money.

What other advice do I have?

Good User Interface and ease of installing.
Senior Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
HP works well in small scale. HP needs to clean up the config files.

What is most valuable?

It used to be cheap for access switching - I'm not sure if that's still the case today.

What needs improvement?

Security and routing handling - also they need to clean up the config files.

Since 2003.

As far as switching goes no, I haven't had any issues with deployment.

MSM controllers can lose parts of its config in updates.

HP works well in small scale - large scale is not good with HP.

Customer Service: 3/5Technical Support: 3/5

I have…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Security and routing handling - also they need to clean up the config files.

Since 2003.

As far as switching goes no, I haven't had any issues with deployment.

MSM controllers can lose parts of its config in updates.

HP works well in small scale - large scale is not good with HP.

Customer Service: 3/5Technical Support: 3/5

I have used Brocade, Aruba, Cisco, Juniper, D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, 3Com, Dell, Force10, Nortel, IBM and Intel based networking products.

Basic setup is simple

In-house

What other advice do I have?

Consider whether you only need basic switching.
it_user137460
Head of Technical Services with 51-200 employees
Takes away a lot of the manual labor by allowing us to identify and block threats and enable secure BYOD
Our K-12 school has an extensive campus which hosts 250 faculty and 1500 students, with over 240 students living in boarding houses. Our senior students and faculty members each have a school-provided laptop, while also allowing BYOD access to the network in boarding houses, and throughout the campus for select users. Our IT team faced numerous security challenges associated with allowing unmanaged devices onto the network. We needed a solution that could accurately and reliably prevent and report threats to the network, no matter who the user or what the device is. Despite implementing measures such as installing local antivirus software on the school-owned machines and intrusion prevention on the firewall, our team was still bogged down with hours of manually identifying and eliminating…

Our IT team faced numerous security challenges associated with allowing unmanaged devices onto the network. We needed a solution that could accurately and reliably prevent and report threats to the network, no matter who the user or what the device is. Despite implementing measures such as installing local antivirus software on the school-owned machines and intrusion prevention on the firewall, our team was still bogged down with hours of manually identifying and eliminating network threats such as botnets, spyware, and malware—issues that were also impacting student and faculty productivity.

When we approached HP with our challenges, HP delivered the Network Protector SDN Application to identify and block network threats and enable secure BYOD. HP Network Protector Security, running on the HP Virtual Application Networks SDN Controller, enables automated network posture assessment and real-time security across OpenFlow-enabled network devices such as switches.

One of the concerns with implementing an SDN solution is knowing where to start. We were able to implement an SDN solution quickly because of our investment in OpenFlow-enabled hardware. We were able to take advantage of the Network Protector SDN solution by downloading a free software upgrade for our existing switches to enable OpenFlow, eliminating the need for a costly rip-and-replace of our network infrastructure.

Network Protector leverages the Virtual Application Networks SDN Controller and OpenFlow to program the network infrastructure with security intelligence from the TippingPoint RepDV Labs database. This effectively turns the entire network infrastructure into security-enforcement devices, providing unprecedented threat protection and visibility.

We installed the solution during a school break, and saw instant results when students and faculty returned. Immediately, thousands of threats were automatically identified and blocked by HP Network Protector, and our IT team was able to proactively address network vulnerabilities.

HP Network Protector takes away a lot of the manual labor that we used to do; we now know exactly where the infections are and how many there are—we can detect threats and respond in a proactive manner. That saves us hours of work every week.

We use Network Protector to help us with challenges around sites like Facebook, which are a distraction during class. With the DNS Blacklist feature, we restrict access to websites like that, which encourages the staff and students to engage more with one another during class. It’s hard for us to measure the return on investment that we’ve had with HP Network Protector, but there’s no doubt that it gives us the power to help staff and students be more productive in the classroom; and at the end of the day, that’s what we’re all about.

Network Analyst at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
We evaluated Cisco but HP configurations were more friendly...HP has great support and customer service.

What is most valuable?

Online monitoring

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has saved me time configuring the network.

What needs improvement?

Products always have room for improvement but nothing specific.

Customer Service: 5/5Technical Support: 5/5

The configurations were more friendly, but most of all price point.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What

What is most valuable?

Online monitoring

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has saved me time configuring the network.

What needs improvement?

Products always have room for improvement but nothing specific.

Customer Service: 5/5Technical Support: 5/5

The configurations were more friendly, but most of all price point.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented in house.

Our ROI is unknown at this time.

Our day-to-day cost is pennies a day.

We evaluated Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

HP has great support; customer service means a lot in our business.
it_user137457
Networking Operations Supervisor with 501-1,000 employees
HP Networking has the bells and whistles you need to scale while avoiding the complexity that other vendors have.
At DreamWorks Animation, we produce billions of pixels and thousands of assets for each of the ten movies in our production pipeline. Our studio is on a 24/7 production cycle and if performance suffers, it could have serious consequences for our business. Our previous network was pushed past its limits, making it unpredictable. We were using Spanning Tree for network redundancy and were having issues that we couldn’t fix. This forced us to reboot the core of our network at least once a quarter. Some of our more complex scenes take multiple days to render. If we had an outage 71 hours into a 72-hour render, we didn’t just lose the time the network wasn’t available, we had to start from scratch. After reviewing our options, we found that an HP Networking solution fulfilled our stability…

After reviewing our options, we found that an HP Networking solution fulfilled our stability requirements while simplifying and speeding up our network. We are using HP 12518 Network Switches and HP 5800 and 5820 Switch Series from core to edge. The equipment was installed over several months one building floor at a time, and our IT staff successfully deployed the solution to our data center over one weekend. We also utilize HP Intelligent Resilient Framework (IRF) technology which offers us the capability to create and manage a virtual chassis across multiple active switches. And we turned Spanning Tree off and now use Link Aggregation Control Protocol for redundancy.

What surprised us the most, after installing the equipment, was that we didn’t receive any calls from our creative teams. They didn’t seem to notice that anything had happened. Everything worked at every layer which is the best scenario we could have hoped for. Since we put in our HP network, we’ve shaved off a millisecond of latency between our Glendale and Redwood City offices. That’s a very meaningful boost in speed for us when we’re submitting half a million jobs every night for rendering.

It’s been a couple of years since the install and we still haven’t had a significant outage. The HP gear has been the most stable we’ve ever seen in terms of software and patches.

Engineer with 51-200 employees
Pricing beats the comparable Cisco switch by a small margin for some products and a huge margin for others
For some of the product families the pricing beats the comparable Cisco switch by a small margin. In other product families they beat the comparable Cisco switch by a huge margin. There are some missing features on the HP Procurve gear that I loved using on the Cisco gear (e.g., the NO SWITCHPORT command) but I pretty much have all the features I would generally need in a closet switch and >90% of the features I would need in a distribution-layer switch. I might find the missing 10% as I dig deeper into the platform.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free HPE Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.