HPE GreenLake Overview

HPE GreenLake is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top IT Infrastructure Consumption Services. It is most often compared to Dell EMC Flex On Demand: HPE GreenLake vs Dell EMC Flex On Demand

What is HPE GreenLake?

Flexible Capacity from HPE Pointnext offers on-demand capacity, combining the agility and economics of public cloud with the security and performance of on-premises IT. With advanced metering, customers pay monthly for actual capacity used, above a minimum commitment – by core, by terabyte, by virtual machine – with no up-front capital outlay. HPE provides a buffer of capacity on-premises and ready for use, which you pay for only when you start to use. Active capacity management ensures that the buffer is replenished before it runs out, so that you have the servers, storage, networking, and operating software that you need, and ensuring that you are ready to take on your next project or next customer. Flexible Capacity cuts overprovisioning – commonly as much as 50-60% of servers and storage – saving on IT cost, enabling faster time to value and eliminating the typical long purchasing cycle. And it includes support for your IT environment to simplify how you operate IT.

HPE GreenLake is also known as GreenLake Flex Capacity, HPE Flexible Capacity, HPE FlexCap.

HPE GreenLake Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE GreenLake Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

HPE GreenLake Customers

Capgemini Finland Infrastructure Services, Sogeti BeLux, Accenture

HPE GreenLake Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE GreenLake pricing:
  • "It's a small cost per month compared to that one-time purchase. The big thing is if you get your one-time purchase wrong, then you are buying a lot more. With GreenLake, if we miss estimate (which with all the planning, you usually don't), we sign a piece of paper, and then they send more equipment in."
  • "If you're used to buying HPE servers, it's less expensive than that. I don't really compare competitor servers because HPE has never given me any reason to look otherwise. However, if you get good pricing on HPE servers, you get better pricing on GreenLake."
  • "Our first year costs were approximately $1.2 million instead of spending five to six million dollars."
  • "It is significantly less expensive than going to cloud for development... Our cost is approximately $25,000 a month."
  • "If you are looking to turn some of your capital expense into operational expense, this allows you to do it. It is a good idea."
  • "Pricing is based on usage plateaus. The more you use, the more you pay."
  • "Right now we're paying about $180,000 per year."
  • "We have reduced a lot of our VMware licensing costs."

HPE GreenLake Reviews

GregJohnson
Systems Engineering Manager at Prisma Health
Jul 3, 2019
Keeps the firmware up-to-date and at the right levels

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our Epic environment. The IT service that we have is compute. It supports our Citrix environment, HyperSpace environment, and our Epic products for both primary and secondary data centers, which we run actively together. We have the HPE Synergy blades and HPE 3PAR, and we're still running off Gen9s. Eventually, we will be going to the Synergy blades completely.

• "It has made our organization's capacity management efforts so much better. Usually, engineers need to take time to worry about firmware updates and and getting that stuff done. However, that falls to the wayside, knowing with GreenLake's data center management and data center support that all the firmware has been tested for all the equipment that you have. When you apply the updates, nothing should go wrong, because it has already been fully tested."
  • "I would like to have more detail in the monitoring."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a real good look. I was skeptical until I sat down and thought about what HPE was offering and delivering. It truly is pay for what you use. HPE has delivered on all their promises for this service. If you talk to anybody in healthcare who knows Epic, that is where your complications come in because their requirements can pretty much change quarterly. So, you have to be ready to move very quickly because it can make the process complex. However, I don't think that is in HPE's control.
ChrisAustin
Senior Principle Engineer of Architecture at Becton, Dickinson and Company
Jul 24, 2019
We're able to report back on the value that we're getting out of the hardware platform

What is our primary use case?

We use it for automation, CI/CD; for transforming our development environment from old, static VMs and even private cloud VMs, into a more deployed, purpose-built system so that we can deploy/tear down, deploy/tear down as needed for each project.

• "The biggest thing that it gives us is reportability; that's the critical component. By giving us a monthly bill that is expandable based on usage, we're able to report back to the organization on the value that we're actually getting out of the hardware platform."
  • "I would really like to see more granularity in the costing model. That's the one limitation that we do have: We have a lot of departments. We want to be able to break down, in a granular way, that this department is using X amount of resources, that department is using Y amount of resources... I want to be able to tag it and say, "This is this department's fees, this is that department's fees." That way I could charge back internally to my own departments."

What other advice do I have?

If your management is pushing you to go all-cloud, then really look at this service as an alternative, because you're getting all of the OpEx savings that you would in the cloud play, but at a much lower price. We were comparing this to the cloud, to Azure, and the price for Azure would have been four times the price of this, and without the level of performance that we're getting out of this platform. The service hasn't affected our organization's capacity management efforts and it hasn't eliminated the need for over-provisioning. The biggest lesson we have learned from using the solution…
Learn what your peers think about HPE GreenLake. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GlobalCefe26
Global Center Solution Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 4, 2019
Helps us have a better defined lifecycle in place

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to procure and replace hardware. It covers storage, backup, and compute. We acquire all of these components through GreenLake.

• "It has helped us with the planning, and in concert with this, we are doing a lot of virtualizations. For a lot of cases, we are bringing in less gear and equipment to be able to accomplish the same things. It makes better use of what we do bring in."
  • "Part of the integration, with cutting things over to Unisys, may have hurt us a bit. We had a couple of rough implementations earlier this year. Part of that was due to some internal system changes on HPE's side. We are keeping an eye on this to make sure it doesn't happen again."

What other advice do I have?

Something that burned us upfront was underestimating some of the work involved. Once, we got some of the hardware in, then there was some other back-end stuff that had to happen. We buried a couple of people in a backlog because we were moving so fast. We had to slow ourselves down a little to allow that backlog to catch up. In terms of refreshing the gear, we are able to do it a lot faster. With the four-year cycle that we are doing on GreenLake, and at end of this year, we are starting the second cycle, which has always been the goal, but we have never really been able to hit it. Even now, I…
ServerIn8c64
Server Infrastructure Manager at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 25, 2019
The ability to add storage on the fly without any downtime results in better productivity and scalability on demand

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for HPE GreenLake Flex Capacity is to provide storage to meet our fluctuating needs on-demand.

• "Absolute flexibility for scaling storage needs on demand."
  • "There could be better monitoring of growth and threshold usage so users could be more aware when their billing will change."

What other advice do I have?

I'd give this product a ten out of ten. The ease of use, scalability, customer satisfaction and the great service department have combined to make our experience with them outstanding. HP and IAS as our service providers have been great as a team. The fact that we can now add storage on the fly without any downtime means better productivity and scalability on demand. We're never waiting on a vendor to come in and add more storage, we can just add it and keep working. That gives us more flexibility to do other things and we're not waiting for somebody else to configure it for us. We never have…
HeadOfTe86d8
Head of Technical Services at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Jul 3, 2019
Helps our IT team focus on their day-to-day tasks increasing productivity

What is our primary use case?

It replaces our entire server infrastructure. Everything that we do today has now been replaced by GreenLake, as far as our data center is concerned. I haven't got all my workloads on it yet, so I don't really know how it performs when it's fully loaded. It is certainly looking very positive, but I just don't know yet.

• "Its performance is a significant improvement over the legacy stack that we had."
  • "It sort of lines up with our direction to move to the cloud. By using a hybrid cloud service to get us there, this allows us to run our legacy workloads on-premise. Those which are not really suited to a proper cloud."
  • "We are still managing the VMs in our IT operations."
  • "The interconnects were a challenge originally, but they sorted that out, and It was fine. We did have to spend a bit more money."

What other advice do I have?

Understand what your compute workloads will be and be really clear on that. Otherwise, you will procure starting up with too much or little. Just make sure you understand what your compute will be so you can get your contract set up the right way. It is doing what we need it to now, over and above what we had before. While provisioning is quicker, we are not provisioning much new infrastructure into the kit at this stage. We expect our capacity will actually go down over time, not up. Though, if we change direction or had an acquisition, it provides flexibility without having to go back for a…
Cfoc493
CFO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jul 24, 2019
We could have implemented what we have now at a third of the cost

What is our primary use case?

We're working in a new data center in Virginia and are using it for our primary storage and compute. We're a cloud services provider and we provide co-location and disaster recovery. We're using it on the cloud services and the disaster recovery sides of the business.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to grow into a lower price point at some point in time."
  • "Both times that we've had to increase the hardware, the deployment took way longer than expected. In addition, we haven't yet gotten to a use point where the cost is below what it would cost us to provision the same set of services on HPE hardware outside of the GreenLake service."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would depend on what the application is. In our particular application, it hasn't been helpful thus far. If you have an application where you're going to be at a price point, right out of the gate, which makes it cost-effective and you're only going to continue to grow at a steady pace, then I think this solution makes sense. But if you're starting at the very bottom of the scale, where the price point is high and you're not going to use the services that come bundled with the products, then it might not be as cost-effective as it could be. I would rate the service at three out of…
Rafael-Cardoso
Solutions Architect at Sercompe
Nov 25, 2019
The flexible way to pay for everything that you need and pay as you go

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is to build a large enterprise storage cluster. We are using the service to do colocation.

• "It is the flexible way to pay for everything that you need and pay as you go."
  • "The time to receive a price when I am going to a proposal is too long."

What other advice do I have?

Look carefully and understand with this model you can buy just what you need right now, and not overprovision.