HPE Hyper Converged Overview

HPE Hyper Converged is the #11 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to VxRail: HPE Hyper Converged vs VxRail

What is HPE Hyper Converged?

HPE Hyper Converged solutions combine intuitive software with the reliability of a world class platform to deliver cloud-like simplicity to your business.

Now, IT can become an internal service provider to end-users by quickly delivering the resources they need for application development and consumption. With HPE Hyper Converged systems companies can operate with cloud efficiency to simplify IT operations with one comprehensive control panel to deploy, monitor, analyze and update – with a single generalist; consume with cloud flexibility to deliver a cloud-like experience, with multi-tenant workspaces that eliminate stranded resources and flexes on demand; and deploy at cloud speed to empower developers and lines-of-business with a self-service portal that can instantly compose and recompose VMs in minutes. Built-in enterprise grade features, such as performance and resiliency enable HPE Hyper Converged systems to easily handle a wide variety of virtualized workloads, including general purpose virtualization, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), and cloud.

HPE Hyper Converged is also known as HPE Hyper Converged 380, HPE Hyper Converged 250, HPE Hyper Converged 250 for Microsoft CPS.

HPE Hyper Converged Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Hyper Converged Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

HPE Hyper Converged Customers

North Lindsey College, FireWhat?, HudsonAlpha

HPE Hyper Converged Video

HPE Hyper Converged Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Mohamad Charara
Development and IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 17, 2019
Performance is robust, but Dell EMC VxRail is easier to implement

What is our primary use case?

HPE Hyper Converged handles all the network setup for my servers and data. My experience is in SMBs.

• "Our storage and IT are now at an enterprise level with all the necessary controls and restrictions being enacted."
  • "The storage efficiency is weak and needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My entire environment is actualized in VMware. Before choosing a product, think why you are buying, the reason, and what you are looking to get from it. If you have too much data or you want to store data, seeking a hyperconverged storage will be costly. It will not be efficient for you. You should look into alternative storage solutions and ways of implementation before buying a hyperconverged solution. Make sure you are actually need those features. The future is in hyperconverged solutions. They are much easier to manage and run. They are flawless. You can just log into VMware and have…
Mohamad Charara
Nov 16, 2017
A very robust solution, which is easy to manage. It has increased our operational efficiency.

• "The HA, which means I have a copy of the VMs always available, and the moment a VM is down, the system tries to power it on again."
  • "Data protection and optimization: It is really weak. They do not offer deduplication or compression."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very robust solution and easy to manage. If you do not have the budget limitation constraints, my advice is to go for HPE SimpliVity as it is the most complete solution until now, if I am not mistaken.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Nutanix and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user283578
Director of IT Systems at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 18, 2017
The most valuable feature was its time to delivery.

• "The most valuable feature was its time to delivery."
  • "We've had to do a power cycle to bring it all the way down, bring it back up for power outages, A/C shut-downs of our DC office, but it hasn't presented a problem."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you order the right connectors to connect to your existing storage to move everything. Make sure that you have that inter-connect to move all your data off of your old legacy equipment. I just know that it works. If you find a good partner that gives you a PoC unit, I'm sure that they'll find that it's quick to get up and running.
it_user683277
Consultant at Hexagon Safety and Infrastructure
Jun 17, 2017
The infrastructure provides a simple to grow and easy to configure platform.

• "We like the fact that the hyper-converged infrastructure provides a simple to grow, easy to configure platform."
  • "The software version on the HC380s we are using is version 1. It does not support spanned vCenter which we use since we have multiple sites."

What other advice do I have?

They should talk with their HPE rep and see about either getting a demo or having a technical conversation about that. It's worth the time.
it_user683301
Team Leader Infrastructure Team at Entel
Jun 16, 2017
The provisioning is fast.

• "The provisioning is very fast. It’s not a problem for us to achieve the goals of the client."
  • "I would like to see a more intuitive, user-friendly UI."

What other advice do I have?

Take a course first, even if you are an engineer. At least take a course for the administration of this product. This can be very complex to use.
Bart Heungens
Owner and CEO at Bitcon
Reseller
May 18, 2017
Integrated software and hardware solution that is straightforward to set up and is flexible.

• "I would like to see improvement in the hardware underneath it. Currently, it's a Gen9 DL380. One day, there will be a Gen10 DL380 and maybe they will have bigger or smaller sizes."
    it_user568050
    IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
    Jan 1, 2017
    Storage becomes one logical unit attached to the server.

• "The scalability of this tool is very good. You can basically add more storage and seamlessly expand the current storage that you have."
    • "I would like to see more deduplication."

What other advice do I have?

You can build similar solutions by just using regular servers and then using 3PAR Storage. You can create the same kind of continuity and reliability so you don't have one unit that is enclosed. When choosing a vendor, I look for reliability, continuity, and price.
    it_user567939
    PreSales Specialist at ITF Svensk IT Funktion AB
    Jan 1, 2017
    It's easy to manage, works over different locations, and is easy to provision.
    it_user485943
    AVP Software Development at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Jul 31, 2016
    I like the fact that it's taken us from approximately 23 servers down to three ProLiant servers.

• "Ease of management, as I come from a software background, and I'm responsible for IT overall. I can get in there and turn some nuts and bolts and make things happen without any trouble."

What other advice do I have?

For us, once our vendor explained this option we knew it was right for what we wanted to do. We're a marketing company and we need to change and react quickly and respond to business ideas very quickly. This virtual environment really is responsive to that. I don't see a downside to it from anybody else's point of view. I would recommend it to just about anybody who was considering it. Our biggest considerations were how big we were going to go with it so we would end up with three ProLiants, but we need four. What's the storage capacity? What percentage of it is SSD as opposed to hard disks…
      Product Categories
      Hyper-Converged (HCI)
      Download our free Hyper-Converged (HCI) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Nutanix, and more!