HPE Primera Overview

HPE Primera is the #12 ranked solution in our list of best All-Flash Storage Arrays. It is most often compared to HPE Nimble Storage: HPE Primera vs HPE Nimble Storage

What is HPE Primera?

HPE introduces HPE Primera, a new storage platform designed to deliver superior simplicity, availability, and performance for mission-critical applications
HPE Primera advances the HPE Intelligent Data Platform, a portfolio of products and solutions designed to help customers transition from delivering storage to unlocking business value with intelligent data

HPE Primera is also known as Primera.

HPE Primera Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Primera Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

HPE Primera Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE Primera pricing:
  • "The price to capacity ratio is good."
  • "From what I see, this is competitively-priced and HPE are doing their best to stay competitive."
  • "The price of this solution is good for medium-sized and large businesses."
  • "It is basically in the mid-range of the price. It is not cheaper than Hitachi, but it is cheaper than Pure Storage. There are no additional costs. Everything was taken care of in the price."
  • "Licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis and the cost of GreenLake service is included."

Irakli Jojua
Head of IT Infrastructure Solutions at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Artificial intelligence is good for technical work required to move from manual interactive to automatic

What is our primary use case?

The Primary use case for HPE Primera is moving and storing high performance databases and core infrastructure, virtual machines, SQL databases, et cetera... This is an on-premises solution because right now it is not popular among customers to use hybrid or cloud solutions in the Georgian Republic. Today, it is not common to move compute and storage sources onto the cloud. I don't know what happens in other regions like Europe, but in the Georgia Republic it is not popular.

• "The features that I have found most valuable are the artificial intelligence for the storage inside of the software and firmware because customers do not like functionalities which require manual interruption."
  • "There really isn't any aspect of the solution that needs improvement for the customer other than its price."

What other advice do I have?

The Primera product line has small and mid-size versions for mid-range customers, and they also have a high-end version. It depends on the customer. In the Georgia Republic customers do have very critical data, and they must store that very critical information in a storage solution that has high availability. By availability, I mean that the hardware works very well and there are no issues with the software or the hardware. That is the reason why we are selling Primera. Overall, Primera gives high performance. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate HPE Primera a 10.
SM
Principal Consultant at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Easy to deploy, performs well, and the cost-per-capacity is good

What is our primary use case?

This product is used for all of the backend, core storage infrastructure. We migrated from spinning-disk, so it has the same type of workloads. It is 80% virtual machines, and then file services, and database workloads.

• "One of the most valuable features is the ease of deployment."
  • "On the hardware side, you should have the ability to expand capacity to larger numbers."

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this product. I'd say that anybody looking to implement it should do their cost analysis very carefully. There's a multitude of solutions, but some of them are more software-oriented. The math can become fuzzy, but once they figure out the financial aspect of it, I think from a purely technical perspective, I highly recommend it. In terms of quality for block storage, it is one of the best on the planet, if not the best, in my view. If they had block storage, NAS, and iSCSI out of the box then I could rate it as perfect. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about HPE Primera. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SM
Principal Consultant at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Reliable, easy to set up and deploy, with quality block storage and well organized support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for all of the backend, the core storage infrastructure at this point. It's the migration from spinning disk, it has all types of workloads. 80% are virtual machines, file services, and database workloads.

• "All of the capabilities of the hardware such as replication, snapshot, and the specific features are all included from the start as opposed to being on another license."
  • "On the controller side, I would like to see NAS capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

Stability is one of the reasons we chose this solution, and that we could buy storage and computer from the same vendor to optimize everything. It's designed to work with one another. I will definitely recommend this solution. For anyone who is interested in implementing it, they should do their cost analysis very carefully. There's a multitude of solutions, but some of them are more software-oriented. The math can become fuzzy but once they figure out the financial aspect of it, I think from a purely technical perspective, I would highly recommend it. In terms of quality for block storage…
BM
Service Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Stable, competitively-priced, and the AI advantages and analytics with InfoSight are powerful

What is our primary use case?

I work with an HPE authorized partner in Malta and we offer storage solutions for customers. HPE Primera is one such product that I have experience with. We have noticed that these days, most of the customers are implementing a solution that is a hybrid between Nimble and Primera All-Flash. There are both spinning disks and flash, where flash is used as the cache, which makes the price more competitive. The customers are primarily using it for disaster recovery. They have their cluster and they are replicating one another to provide business continuity and disaster recovery applications.

• "In my opinion, HPE is making good progress and moving ahead with InfoSight, which is predictive analytics and artificial intelligence."
  • "The interface needs to be more user-friendly in that sense that installation and management are still a bit on the high end."

What other advice do I have?

Primera is still new, and it's in its inception phase. There are still not many installations around. My advice to anybody who is implementing this product is that they have to keep updated as technology advances. It's not a question of "it works, leave it there and don't take care of updates". You have to keep up to date with what is happening with the technology. Sometimes, we encounter customers that stagnate in their technology because they concluded that if it works then you don't have to do anything. That is not a good approach because it's a continuous transformation. In summary, this…
Asanka Karunanayake
Head of Hosting & LAN Services at Lanka Communication Services (Pvt) Ltd.
Great performance with excellent low latency and fine dashboards

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for customers, for their hosted virtualized infrastructure storage.

• "The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex."
  • "They could work to make scalability easier."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution at this point. the model number is HPE Primera A630 I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. It's fast and the performance is very good. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.
AK
Enterprise Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good compression and performance, easy to expand, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and all-flash storage is one of the products that we sell to our customers. Primera is one of the ones that we recommend for data centers.

• "Our customers have given very positive feedback about InfoSign, which is the management software for this solution."
  • "This solution would be expensive for small business and it could be priced more competitively for that market."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, Primera is a good product and if it is suitable for the requirements then it is one that I recommend. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
BR
Associate Vice President - IT at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Storage guranteed uptime is 100% and Data avilability is 100%. Other brands give a guranteed uptime of 99.999%

What is our primary use case?

We use it for databases and application VMs. We are using the latest version of this solution.

• "The most important thing that we had found when we purchased this product around six months back was its 100% availability and uptime."
  • "One of the drawbacks of the model we purchased is that it is not running NVMe drives. Even though they say that it is NVMe-ready, it is still on the SSD drives. The model that we purchased has only eight hard drives, and only the ones on the top could work on NVMe. The rest of them are still on the SSD. Its competitors, such as EMC and Pure Storage, are moving or have already moved to NVMe. HPE should improve this solution for NVMe. HPE should also improve IOs in this solution. IOs in HPE are weaker than Hitachi and Pure Storage."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it depends on the use cases for which you want to use the storage device. I would rate HPE Primera an eight out of ten.
GH
CTO at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good support, straightforward to deploy, and good storage performance

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as our SAN solution. It hosts non-critical applications and related data.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the speed of our on-premises storage. The IO is now very fast.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

We cannot use this storage for critical applications and data.

We have been using HPE Primera for several months.

The warranty guarantees 100% stability.

We have space for perhaps 15 administrators, who manage between 600 and 800 end-users.

The HPE…
See 2 more HPE Primera Reviews
Product Categories
All-Flash Storage Arrays
Download our free HPE Primera Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.