HPE ProCurve OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE ProCurve is #4 ranked solution in top LAN Switching tools. IT Central Station users give HPE ProCurve an average rating of 8 out of 10. HPE ProCurve is most commonly compared to Cisco Catalyst Switches:HPE ProCurve vs Cisco Catalyst Switches. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is HPE ProCurve?
HP Networking (HP ProCurve) products enable a cost-effective network that's agile, flexible, and fully interoperable. Boost availability, performance, monitoring, and productivity with HP network software, services, and support.

HPE ProCurve was previously known as ProCurve, HP ProCurve.

Download the LAN Switching Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

HPE ProCurve Customers
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Cardinal Newman Catholic Secondary School, DY 4 Systems, EdgeWing, Edmonton Public Schools District, Halton Catholic District School Board, Hartwick College, Hatch Associates, Huntingdon College, Roseville Joint Union High School District, Saddleback Valley Unified School District, One Superior Place
HPE ProCurve Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE ProCurve pricing:
  • "This is an expensive switch."
  • "You buy the switch and that's it."
  • "The price could be more competitive."
  • "HPE ProCurve products are reasonably priced."
  • "The purchasing cost a few years ago for two units was approx €5,000."

HP ProCurve Software Reviews

LuisPinto
System Administrator with 51-200 employees
Easily configurable and is easy to create each connection and configuration

• "ProCurve is easy to configure and to know how to create each connection and configuration."
  • "Procurve would work better if it had more options like the web environment."

What is our primary use case?

Normally, I use it for the core environment and the solution switches. I have these two environments, the core, and the switches. Sometimes they have other or alternative environments. It's a solution environment for the back office. That's how I use it.

What is most valuable?

In terms of valuable features, I like its ability to configure. I know the other models like Cisco, and I think that HPE's ProCurve are easy to configure and to know how to create each connection and configuration.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any problem at all with HPE ProCurve. I have a lot of experience with it, and I know that HP normally changes its equipment and technology. Maybe it would work better with HP if I only had one type of equipment since they have ProCurve, Aruba, and OfficeConnect. Every team is different. Our office is a different population. I know that ProCurve is really equal to Aruba, but there isn't any other equipment that HP has.

It would be good if the switch was bigger and faster, like with the ports.

I have been using HPE ProCurve for 20 years, since it went on the market.

In terms of stability, when I see an issue happening, HP takes care of the bugs. They have very fast tools to deal with the issues. The technical support from HP is really fast to resolve the problem.

Same with IT issues. We see the number of problems resolved with the new configuration.

ProCurve is scalable if the equipment is right for your environment. If you want to build a solution, they have the equipment for it. But I think more people are using HP Aruba switches than ProCurve. I believe that ProCurve will be replaced by the Aruba equipment because in the last year we haven't used the ProCurve switch as much but we have used Aruba. But I think it is a good tool, and we have some clients who are using ProCurve switches for many years and they are still working. They don't have any problems. I like ProCurve with the equipment.

The technical support from HP is very fast at resolving the problems, whether it's bugs or something like that.

Before using HPE ProCurve I was using Switchcom. I also normally use Aruba and OfficeConnect.

Setup is really simple. I think that the initial setup would be better if there were more questions, like with Cisco. When we started with Cisco equipment the first time, they asked many questions about the equipment. HP didn't have questions. I know that many people are on the web environment of the installation of this configuration.

When comparing Aruba and the ProCurve equipment, with Aruba, there is more community on the web, and with ProCurve, there is less. It doesn't matter because I use the free environment, mostly. It's rare that I use the Aruba environment since I use the free one. I see that many people only use the web environment with Aruba and that it offers more features. I think ProCurve would work better if it had more options like the web environment.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give HPE ProCurve an eight.

MV
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and the technical support is good

• "This is a very reliable solution."
  • "I would like to see some kind of packet tracer where people can study how the switch is operating."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry. Most of our switches are modular because we need a lot of ports in one location.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is reliability.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

White box switching support is something that I would like to see in the future.

I have been working with HPE ProCurve for at least 17 years.

This is a very reliable solution. In the 17 years that I have been using this product, I have had two power supply failures. However, these did not result in downtime because each switch has at least two power supplies. I was never left without the switch working due to a hardware failure.

We have more than 1,000 users in total but on a daily basis, there are 600 to 700 users in two locations.

The technical support from HP is very good. The last time I had a question, not a repair, but just a question of any kind was perhaps 10 years ago. I normally have a good recovery plan in advance of making any changes, which means that I don't have to bother the HP help desk with frivolous questions.

Prior to this solution, I was working with Cisco switches, which we still have a lot of. We have physical network layers and for some purposes, the Cisco switches are very good. My preference, however, is ProCurve.

I have experience with switches from Dell. They lack some features but they are much cheaper than HPE.

I find the initial setup to be easy and straightforward.

I perform the implementation, deployment, and maintenance. If I need to clear up the fiber channel, a transceiver, or something else, then I do it myself. If we need to connect and patch one of the switches then I just configure a port, send an email, and the local staff can do the patching.

This is an expensive switch.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan well. Most of the reason for error is poor planning. Be sure to ask your vendor questions because there are no dumb questions. Rather, silly mistakes happen when people implement without a full understanding.

This is a good product but there is always room for improvement in these kinds of devices.

Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Dell EMC and others in LAN Switching. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LP
System Administrator at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to manage and configure with good pricing

• "It's easy to manage and configure. The configurations can be exported and imported to another solution."
  • "The only things that might need improvement would be the administrative tools and the graphical interface. The GUI could be improved on the administrative interface, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a client switch, which supports the users, as a core switch of the whole network, and also as a service switch for only the servers and the environment.

What is most valuable?

The price is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any flaw in the product at this time. I'm a happy customer. The only things that might need improvement would be the administrative tools and the graphical interface. The GUI could be improved on the administrative interface, for example.

The speed could be higher, and more than 10 gigabits. We are in the process of buying large switches, and the higher the speed the better. It's that feature that involves a high cost, however. We find it challenging at the moment to find a low-cost solution.

I've been using the solution for 10-15 years.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have about 70 users on the solution right now. We're a research center, so everyone has access to the tool. We use the solution 24/7.

We've never been in touch with technical support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The complexity of the implementation depends on the setup. In our case, it was a bit complex. Deployment may take about four hours. I'm not sure exactly, as my colleague set up the solution.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

We don't need to pay for support for HPE. The only hidden costs are the man-hours involved in handling the solution.

He did evaluate Cisco many years ago, however it was too expensive to be viable.

What other advice do I have?

We use the latest version of the firmware, or operating system, on the switches. We try to keep them updated. We use the on-premises deployment model.

It's difficult to give any kind of advice on the solution. It depends on the situation, what the infrastructure is, how advanced, and complex, etc. In general, HPE has products that cover almost everyone's needs from basic, small networks to complex huge campus networks for universities or large organizations. They have a good product line. It just takes some knowledge and competence to maintain them.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Thomas-Roes
Self Employed at Switact
Stable, easy to implement, good technical support, and you can replace and update for its lifetime

• "It has a lifetime warranty, that includes lifetime updates."
  • "If you make a change and you disconnect yourself from the switch, you will create an issue."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as a switch and we are working on link aggregation switches at the moment.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like the most are the price, the feature sets, the no-nonsense warranty, and lifetime updates. This is the main benefit.

What needs improvement?

With Juniper, I like that they have an option to bundle a configuration change and commit it with the confirmed option. The switch will roll back if you don't confirm the change.

If you make a change and you disconnect yourself from the switch, you will create an issue. You just wait five or ten minutes for the switch to change back to the previous configuration. This is a nice feature that is offered with Juniper, which would improve the HPE ProCurve.

I have been using this solution for about 25 years.

We are using the latest version.

This solution is very stable.

The model that we are currently using is scalable enough for me.

I don't contact the technical support often. It was a long time ago when I was last in contact with technical support and it was very good.

While it has not been recent and they may have changed, when I used them, it was very professional. They were very nice and they solved the issue that I was having.

Also, they ship replacement parts or replacement products with no problem.

I work with several clients with several vendors, so I have experience with other solutions.

Most of the time our clients are using several vendors and we are trying to standardize to just one of them. HPE was used the most at that time.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

It takes less than a day to deploy this solution.

I completed the implementation by myself.

You buy the switch and that's it.

It has a lifetime warranty, that includes lifetime updates.

I have looked at different vendors. I looked at Cisco, which is the main competitor.

Based on the required features and price, HPE was the better option.

What other advice do I have?

If they are looking into implementing this solution, just go with it. It would be very wise.

I would recommend this product.

NM
IT Network & Security Engineer at a mining and metals company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable, easy to use, and offers a strong online community for support

• "The LAN features give us exactly what we need."
  • "We do occasionally have issues with the solution and need to change out the switches sometimes. This can be due to the fan, but, in most cases, it's because the power supply was broken."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to deliver the network to the users. We typically use the bigger switches. The switches we are using are used to foster the backbone routing and route out the firewall and the servers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and offers good scalability.

There's a good community and good forums on the internet if you have issues. It makes it easy to find what you need.

The LAN features give us exactly what we need.

What needs improvement?

We do occasionally have issues with the solution and need to change out the switches sometimes. This can be due to the fan, but, in most cases, it's because the power supply was broken.

I've been using the solution for ten to 15 years.

The stability of the solution is fine.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have around 1,000 users on it. At this time, we don't have plans to increase usage.

We do not contact technical support directly. Instead, we contact our integrator for any extra support we might need.

We previously used Cisco. We still have some Cisco switches, but we're switching over to HP as most of our network is oriented around it. It's more simple for us to work with HP. The pricing is also much better. Cisco is more expensive.

The initial setup was easy. We didn't have any issues. Deployment took one to two weeks.

We implemented the solution with the assistance of an integrator. We were satisfied with the work they provided.

The solution is reasonably priced in comparison to other options, such as Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We use the HP Procurve for the distribution switches. It's a 25-30 modem. We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. No solution is perfect. You still need to configure it a bit once you implement it. However, it's quite simple and very good to use.

AE
IT service provider at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Entirely reliable, price includes everything, and simplistic install

• "We have found the solution to be entirely stable."
  • "Since we transfer from one gigabit to ten gigabits of information, in a future release, it would benefit to have more high-speed ports."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a network switch, this is what it is used for by my customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is reliability.

What needs improvement?

Since we transfer from one to ten gigabits of information, in a future release, it would benefit to have more high-speed ports. For example, the uplink should be 40 gigabits or 100 gigabits. That would be very welcome. The first few models of HPE ProCurve that do have such features are way too expensive for our customer.

The image of the solution has dropped in recent years due to HPE enterprise management. Moving the location of where the product line is produced was not good.

I have been using the solution for 20 years.

We have found the solution to be entirely stable.

The solution is easy to scale. We predominately deal with small-sized businesses and the biggest configuration we have implemented so far has been 84 screens.

We have used Mikrotik and Cisco products before. For the Mikrotik products, we only use models that are routers and with the Cisco products, there seems to be a new backdoor or a failure in firmware discovered and has to be patched. I have found this solution to be the best.

Being an information scientist and a service provider, the installation is simple.

We do the implementation and the difficulty depends on the number of ports and workstations the client works with. We do not do DHCP configurations, we work with static IPs only. Each port and PC has to be configured separately which can take time.

The price could be more competitive. Everything is included in the price as there are no security features that need to be updated, it is just the hardware alone.

What other advice do I have?

Before purchasing this solution it is important to read the manual, it has everything you need.

I rate HPE ProCurve an eight out of ten.

HY
Consultant at Marvels Information Technology
Reasonably priced, easy to configure, and good technical support

• "The GUI makes it easy to configure, manage, and work with."
  • "Our customers are focused on features and generally, they would like to have a more feature-rich solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this switch as part of our network infrastructure and we also implement it for our clients.

What is most valuable?

This is a very durable product and the pricing is reasonable.

The GUI makes it easy to configure, manage, and work with.

What needs improvement?

Better performance and more speed would be an improvement.

I have been working with HPE ProCurve for at least six or seven years.

HPE ProCurve is a stable solution.

The scalability depends on how the environment is designed and which modules are installed.

Our clients vary in size from small businesses to large government.

When I first started, I needed a lot of support and I found them to be excellent. Overall, I am very satisfied with it.

This solution is easy to install and configure.

HPE ProCurve products are reasonably priced.

There are similar products by other vendors and they are all priced similarly.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and I recommend it to our customers. Of course, some of them are locked into certain vendors, such as Cisco. When we introduce it to new customers using a PoC, they see that it is stable, easy to manage, and easy to use. It has worked well for us.

RV
ERP / ICT Manager at N.S.C.S. bvba
Reseller
A convenient interface that is easy to use, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for switching. We also use it for an iSCSI device to support storage and networking.

What is most valuable?

The web page interface is very convenient and easy to use for setting up your feedback loops.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards could be improved and made more interesting.

I have been using HPE ProCurve for more than ten years.

This solution is very stable, we have not experienced any issues.

This solution is scalable. On average, we have twenty users and two administrators. We have a very small team.

How are customer service and technical

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The dashboards could be improved and made more interesting.

I have been using HPE ProCurve for more than ten years.

This solution is very stable, we have not experienced any issues.

This solution is scalable.

I had contacted technical support at one time when my firmware update was not going very well. They were able to fix it.

The initial setup was rather straightforward.

The length of time it takes to deploy depends on your architecture, and what you want to set up, but normally it takes a couple of days to set it all up.

Maintenance requirments are only a couple of hours per month.

We had the help of our team to implement the solution.

The purchasing cost a few years ago for two units was approx €5,000.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is good and it's solid. It does its job.

I would recommend this solution because it's affordable, scalable, and it is everything you need.

Product Categories
LAN Switching
Download our free LAN Switching Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Dell EMC, and more!