HPE ProCurve Overview

HPE ProCurve is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top LAN Switching tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Catalyst Switches: HPE ProCurve vs Cisco Catalyst Switches

What is HPE ProCurve?
HP Networking (HP ProCurve) products enable a cost-effective network that's agile, flexible, and fully interoperable. Boost availability, performance, monitoring, and productivity with HP network software, services, and support.

HPE ProCurve is also known as ProCurve, HP ProCurve.

Download the LAN Switching Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

HPE ProCurve Customers
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Cardinal Newman Catholic Secondary School, DY 4 Systems, EdgeWing, Edmonton Public Schools District, Halton Catholic District School Board, Hartwick College, Hatch Associates, Huntingdon College, Roseville Joint Union High School District, Saddleback Valley Unified School District, One Superior Place
HPE ProCurve Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE ProCurve pricing:
  • "This is an expensive switch."
  • "You buy the switch and that's it."
  • "The price could be more competitive."
  • "HPE ProCurve products are reasonably priced."
  • "The purchasing cost a few years ago for two units was approx €5,000."

HP ProCurve Software Reviews

LuisPinto
System Administrator with 51-200 employees
Easily configurable and is easy to create each connection and configuration

What is our primary use case?

Normally, I use it for the core environment and the solution switches. I have these two environments, the core, and the switches. Sometimes they have other or alternative environments. It's a solution environment for the back office. That's how I use it.

• "ProCurve is easy to configure and to know how to create each connection and configuration."
  • "Procurve would work better if it had more options like the web environment."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give HPE ProCurve an eight.
MV
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry. Most of our switches are modular because we need a lot of ports in one location.

• "This is a very reliable solution."
  • "I would like to see some kind of packet tracer where people can study how the switch is operating."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan well. Most of the reason for error is poor planning. Be sure to ask your vendor questions because there are no dumb questions. Rather, silly mistakes happen when people implement without a full understanding. This is a good product but there is always room for improvement in these kinds of devices. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Cisco and others in LAN Switching. Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LP
System Administrator at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to manage and configure with good pricing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a client switch, which supports the users, as a core switch of the whole network, and also as a service switch for only the servers and the environment.

• "It's easy to manage and configure. The configurations can be exported and imported to another solution."
  • "The only things that might need improvement would be the administrative tools and the graphical interface. The GUI could be improved on the administrative interface, for example."

What other advice do I have?

We use the latest version of the firmware, or operating system, on the switches. We try to keep them updated. We use the on-premises deployment model. It's difficult to give any kind of advice on the solution. It depends on the situation, what the infrastructure is, how advanced, and complex, etc. In general, HPE has products that cover almost everyone's needs from basic, small networks to complex huge campus networks for universities or large organizations. They have a good product line. It just takes some knowledge and competence to maintain them. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Thomas-Roes
Self Employed at Switact
Stable, easy to implement, good technical support, and you can replace and update for its lifetime

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as a switch and we are working on link aggregation switches at the moment.

• "It has a lifetime warranty, that includes lifetime updates."
  • "If you make a change and you disconnect yourself from the switch, you will create an issue."

What other advice do I have?

If they are looking into implementing this solution, just go with it. It would be very wise. I would recommend this product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
NM
IT Network & Security Engineer at a mining and metals company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable, easy to use, and offers a strong online community for support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to deliver the network to the users. We typically use the bigger switches. The switches we are using are used to foster the backbone routing and route out the firewall and the servers.

• "The LAN features give us exactly what we need."
  • "We do occasionally have issues with the solution and need to change out the switches sometimes. This can be due to the fan, but, in most cases, it's because the power supply was broken."

What other advice do I have?

We use the HP Procurve for the distribution switches. It's a 25-30 modem. We use the on-premises deployment model. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. No solution is perfect. You still need to configure it a bit once you implement it. However, it's quite simple and very good to use.
AE
IT service provider at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Entirely reliable, price includes everything, and simplistic install

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a network switch, this is what it is used for by my customers.

• "We have found the solution to be entirely stable."
  • "Since we transfer from one gigabit to ten gigabits of information, in a future release, it would benefit to have more high-speed ports."

What other advice do I have?

Before purchasing this solution it is important to read the manual, it has everything you need. I rate HPE ProCurve an eight out of ten.
HY
Consultant at Marvels Information Technology
Reasonably priced, easy to configure, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use this switch as part of our network infrastructure and we also implement it for our clients.

• "The GUI makes it easy to configure, manage, and work with."
  • "Our customers are focused on features and generally, they would like to have a more feature-rich solution."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and I recommend it to our customers. Of course, some of them are locked into certain vendors, such as Cisco. When we introduce it to new customers using a PoC, they see that it is stable, easy to manage, and easy to use. It has worked well for us. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
RV
ERP / ICT Manager at N.S.C.S. bvba
Reseller
A convenient interface that is easy to use, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for switching. We also use it for an iSCSI device to support storage and networking.

What is most valuable?

The web page interface is very convenient and easy to use for setting up your feedback loops.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards could be improved and made more interesting.

I have been using HPE ProCurve for more than ten years.

This solution is very stable, we have not experienced any issues.

This solution is scalable. On average, we have twenty users and two administrators. We have a very small team.

How are customer service and technical

See 4 more HPE ProCurve Reviews
Product Categories
LAN Switching
Download our free LAN Switching Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Cisco, and more!