HPE ProLiant DL Servers Overview

HPE ProLiant DL Servers is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Rack Servers. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers: HPE ProLiant DL Servers vs Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers

What is HPE ProLiant DL Servers?
ProLiant Servers provide a complete infrastructure that support both your business objectives and your business growth.

HPE ProLiant DL Servers is also known as HP ProLiant DL series, HP ProLiant DL.

HPE ProLiant DL Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE ProLiant DL Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

HPE ProLiant DL Servers Customers
AmeriPride Services, iSource, Bolagsverket, BlueShore Financial, British Columbia Assessment Authority, National Stock Exchange, Cardlytics
HPE ProLiant DL Servers Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE ProLiant DL Servers pricing:
  • "We did not need to pay for a license for the use of HP DL servers, just for normal hardcore support."
  • "Proliant DL Servers have a reasonable cost. They are not as expensive as the Cisco servers. Everything is included when you purchase a server. You just have to install and configure it."
  • "We have purchased this solution and it is under warranty."
  • "We have ILO licenses. We use this feature."
  • "This product is within our budget."

RB
Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Good for our regular server needs but has no scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for normal server purposes, for the running of Windows 2016 or 2019. We also use it for custom network monitoring applications, so we may monitor some of our infrastructure. I would not consider the product to be very specific, as the application is dependent on the HP server. We can post it on any server.

• "We have had no issues with the stability of the product."
  • "HPE ProLiant DL Servers are not scalable."

What other advice do I have?

The kind of servers or HPE products we are using with those of ProLiant DL are DL390, 380, gen 10 and HPDL. We are utilizing gen 10 as our latest version of DL servers. We utilize a total of six HPE Servers, strictly as a monitoring tool. The NOC membership comprises only 10 people. As I mentioned, HPE ProLiant DL Servers came as part of a project. We will continue to use it for as long as we continue to renew the contract for the solution that is provided by the contractor.
Network and Infrastructure Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Strong, easy to manage and monitor, and have very few failures

What is our primary use case?

We have installed VMware on DL Server, and the operating system sits on this DL Server host.

• "This is all I've ever used. These servers are strong, and they have very few failures on them. They are also easy to manage and monitor."
  • "They are pretty solid servers, but, just like all servers, they become obsolete after some time. They can maybe provide a console to monitor the health of the servers. There should be some kind of console to which you can log in to remotely check on the health of a server, even when the server is off. The servers that we have are only scalable to some extent. They have got a limited amount of hard drive that you can insert. Their scalability should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these servers. I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about HPE ProLiant DL Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
M. I. S. Manager at Ruby Mills Ltd
Easy to upgrade but not very stable and the installation is complex

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the 12 VMs we have on it. We are using VMware.

• "It's easy to upgrade, and it is very easy to take care of the firmware upgrades."
  • "The implementation should be simplified, it is not straightforward."

What other advice do I have?

We will continue to use this solution, as we have purchased it and can't afford to just throw it away. If we continue to have further issues, we will consider changing it over. With my current experience, I could not recommend this product to others. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Telecommunication Department Head at Qarun Petroleum Company
Stable with an easy initial setup and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

The main use for the last order was for the applications and other items around an electronic fencing system.

• "The pricing of the product is fair and not too expensive."
  • "The technical support is pretty good, however, they could be a bit faster and more responsive."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with HP. We're using the latest version of the solution. We purchased Gen 10 about a year or so ago. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, I would rate the product at a nine out of ten.
MW
Project Manager at realnux
High-quality, user-friendly, and quick to install

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for computing and to do database allocations

• "The solution has always been very stable and reliable."
  • "The solution is a little bit expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We're an integrator. We can help clients set up the solution. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. It's a very high-quality product. In general, we have been very satisfied with the capabilities of the solution. It's well made and works well. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten overall.
System Administrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Robust, easy to use, and user friendly

• "The robustness of the design of the server is the most valuable. HP servers are easy to use and user-friendly. The server is not complicated, and it is easy to use ILO systems."
  • "In DL 500 systems, the flow of air is not good enough, and some components get overheated. IBM systems have better airflow and scalability. We have a data center that has limited physical space. Therefore, we need to maximize the processing or compute systems that we use. In HP servers, such as DL 500, there are only four processors, whereas IBM servers, such as SR 916, have eight processors. We don't get any support from HP because of our geographical location. We solve all problems ourselves by doing research on the internet. It would be good to get HP support."

What other advice do I have?

HPE ProLiant DL Servers are easy to use and suitable for mid-range users. HP has other products for enterprise users. I don't compare them with this family. We had the physical servers for all services, but now we are migrating to virtual servers using VMware. I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers an eight out of ten.
AH
Information Technology System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Stable with a straightforward setup and good performance

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for our own servers. Basically, we use it for anything we need to have it for, including our servers, our appliances, and virtualization.

• "The hardware is reliable."
  • "The solution should work to be more scalable."

What other advice do I have?

We use a mix of versions, mostly Gen8 and Gen10. We've been quite satisfied with the solution overall. It's good hardware. I'd recommend it to organizations that mostly would be using Dell or HP servers. I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at an eight. We've been quite satisfied with the level of performance we get, and their general stability.
Telecommunication Department Head at Qarun Petroleum Company
Good support, easy to set up, we haven't had downtime in three years, and it's within our budget

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this product is our electronic faxing system. We have a number of applications that are hosted on it, working together.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could be a little faster.

We have been using HPE ProLiant DL Servers for three years. We started using the most recent version, Gen10, a year ago.

We have had our system working for between two and three years with no downtime. We plan to continue using it in the future.

We have about 300 end-users who log into the system to use our applications. We have to extend our electronic access system for our sites, and we…
See 12 more HPE ProLiant DL Servers Reviews