MM
Director of Information Services at a import and exporter with 51-200 employees
Good support for desktop video conferencing, good performance, and fantastic support

• "The GPU units, processor speed, and capabilities are most valuable. Desktop video conferencing is also valuable. It supports desktop video conferencing much better for graphics."
  • "They should work with Microsoft to make licensing costs better. That's because the physical servers have processors with all these cores, and Microsoft now licenses Windows virtual server desktops based on the number of cores and the serving servers. So, if you got to build 10 or 20 servers on that desktop, you got to license them all with Microsoft. They should have a partnership with Microsoft to decrease the virtual licensing of servers in partnerships so that when you purchase the servers, you also get licensing for Microsoft on top of them. That's because it gets very expensive to license virtual operating systems to run on physical servers."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for serving the VMware environment and creating all of our virtual servers and desktops.

What is most valuable?

The GPU units, processor speed, and capabilities are most valuable. Desktop video conferencing is also valuable. It supports desktop video conferencing much better for graphics.

What needs improvement?

They should work with Microsoft to make licensing costs better. That's because the physical servers have processors with all these cores, and Microsoft now licenses Windows virtual server desktops based on the number of cores and the serving servers. So, if you got to build 10 or 20 servers on that desktop, you got to license them all with Microsoft. They should have a partnership with Microsoft to decrease the virtual licensing of servers in partnerships so that when you purchase the servers, you also get licensing for Microsoft on top of them. That's because it gets very expensive to license virtual operating systems to run on physical servers.

I have been using this solution for 10 years, but these are refreshed. So, they're new. We have hardly used them.

It is solid. We didn't face any issues.

Its scalability is great. We have 150 users, and it is being used heavily. We are taking every bit of life out of it we can. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

Their technical support is great. It is fantastic.

We have only used HPE.

It is easy. Getting them up and running is a piece of cake, but getting the VMware environment operation on them is very complicated.

It has been a couple of months so far, and we're still working on it.

We are implementing it in-house. We are growing that skill internally. I got a rockstar guy doing all that. I don't do it on my own.

For its maintenance, we have one network administrator.

They need to work with Microsoft to make the licensing costs better and more efficient.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. I would rate it a nine out of 10 because it has good support and good performance.

ZP
Owner & General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
State-of-the-art, easy to use, stable, and has good performance

• "This solution is perfect. From the time of purchase, it was state-of-the-art, and still, after five, 10 years, they still meet our demands extremely well."
  • "The installation could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators in a fiber optics company. We use this solution mainly as high computational devices, but also we use it as a storage device.

The deployment is data center-based.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and it also has good performance.

What needs improvement?

The latest generation has made good improvements in power consumption. G6, and G7, which is approximately 10-year-old technology, have some issues with power consumption.

The installation could be simplified.

I would also like to pay less for the out-of-the-box product, but everything else is okay.

I have been working with HPE ProLiant DL Servers for ten years.

We are using generations six to nine. G6, G7, G8, and G9.

The stability of this product is very good.

We deployed it in our network, and our network is the backbone of the company. Through our backbone, we serve millions of end users, but indirect users are internet service providers that use our services, which is approximately 50.

I have never contacted technical support because everything worked perfectly.

The installation is reasonably complex.

The length of time it takes to deploy depends on the software that we are installing, but it can take a couple of days, approximately.

We have two engineers and one technician to maintain it.

We had the help of a system integrator.

The iLO (integrated lights out) license is very expensive, but the functionality you receive is worth it.

What other advice do I have?

We are fully satisfied with this solution and I recommend it for others who are interested in using it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers a 10 out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about HPE ProLiant DL Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MD
Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Fast backup speeds, easy to learn, and simple installation

• "The speed of the backups and having the system be immune to ransomware are the main advantages."
  • "When it comes to security there can always be room for improvement. If there was an option to build security into the system it would be an advantage."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers are having additional VMware environments which we are converting into one because of the backup advantage. We can do the complete backup of VM within approximately eight to ten seconds.

What is most valuable?

The speed of the backups and having the system be immune to ransomware are the main advantages. Additionally, It is very user-friendly, repairable, flexible, and anybody can easily learn it.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing local support here in Sri Lanka, we do not have a local office.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 500 customers using this solution.

The support structure from HPE is excellent. When comparing the support to Dell and Huawei, they cannot match the level of support HPE provides. I have experienced great response times and the engineers are very talented with precise information. When they give a solution to a problem we do not have to question if it will resolve the issue.

HPE frequently checks its competitors' capabilities to ensure they deliver the best service. This is something valuable this is why they are one of the best.

The installation is easy. The hardware installation takes approximately 20 minutes and the Windows installation takes another 20 minutes.

We have support engineers for the maintenance and implementation of the solution.

HPE ProLiant DL Servers are one of the best-selling solutions in this industry. There is not a license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers a nine out of ten.

Telecommunication Department Head at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good support, easy to set up, we haven't had downtime in three years, and it's within our budget

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this product is our electronic faxing system. We have a number of applications that are hosted on it, working together.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could be a little faster.

We have been using HPE ProLiant DL Servers for three years. We started using the most recent version, Gen10, a year ago.

We have had our system working for between two and three years with no downtime. We plan to continue using it in the future.

We have about 300 end-users who log into the system to use our applications. We have to extend our electronic access system for our sites, and we…

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The technical support could be a little faster.

We have about 300 end-users who log into the system to use our applications.

We have to extend our electronic access system for our sites, and we will be purchasing another ProLiant.

There is another team in our company who deals with technical support, and they have a lot of experience with the product. I can say that the support is very good, although it would be better if it were quicker.

We also have a similar solution by Dell, and I find that the ProLiant support is much better.

The initial setup is very easy. The ProLiant was complete, and we just had to plug it into power and check the hardware. We did not have to put in new parts, such as additional hard disks. They are made to order.

We have four or five engineers for maintenance.

This product is within our budget.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I can recommend it to others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AM
Product Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Very stable, 100% scalable, and easy to deploy

• "It is very stable. This is the feedback that I'm getting from my customers for the hardware. It is also 100% scalable. HPE is also very specialized when it comes up to the server industry. It is not only about the rack servers; it is also about the blade servers. They were the first ones to bring these to the market more than ten years ago."
  • "It has something called WorldView. They should do some enhancement over WorldView to run an operating system as a code. Such a feature would be amazing for running multiple servers. They are already working on this, and they can enhance the existing versions for this. It should also be cheaper. It is currently expensive."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly an x86 Intel server. There are some versions of AMD processors as well. You can use it for many purposes. You can use it as a web server, a backup server, a database server, or an application server. You can use it for any main purpose for which you need a server.

It is mainly on-premises, but you can also deploy it in a cloud.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable. This is the feedback that I'm getting from my customers for the hardware. It is also 100% scalable.

HPE is also very specialized when it comes up to the server industry. It is not only about the rack servers; it is also about the blade servers. They were the first ones to bring these to the market more than ten years ago.

What needs improvement?

It has something called WorldView. They should do some enhancement over WorldView to run an operating system as a code. Such a feature would be amazing for running multiple servers. They are already working on this, and they can enhance the existing versions for this.

It should also be cheaper. It is currently expensive.

I have been selling this solution for almost six years.

It is very stable.

It is 100% scalable. We have about a hundred customers.

I don't directly get in touch with them, but I haven't heard anything bad about it.

The initial setup is not complicated for HPE or any other server.

It is expensive. Its price should be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers an eight out of ten.

BayramGuldibi
Technical Systems Support Manager at a hospitality company with 201-500 employees
Scalable with good technical support, an easy setup and reliable performance

• "The initial setup was easy."
  • "The most pressing issue is that downloads depend at present on the current period."

What is our primary use case?

At present, we are using Gen 7, 8. We have used Gen 10 for some of our customers.

We use the solution for providing hotel support. We're into the hotels of mostly Windows operating system, Oracle and SQL database.

What is most valuable?

Performance and reliability are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

We have encountered problems. The most pressing issue is that downloads depend at present on the current period. Secondly, in respect of the iLO access license page, iLO features should be included with the server.

I have been using HPE ProLiant DL Servers for more than 10 years.

The scalability is fine.

HPE technical support is sufficiently good. Support as a side of the business can be purchased.

The initial setup was easy.

The deployment time varies with the configuration, something which does not take more than two hours. While installing the operating system is a discussion of its own, the actual configuration is easy to do.

We did not make use of consultants or resellers for the deployment.

The size of the staff required for the deployment varies with the configuration. It takes just a day to install a single server, but nearly two or three days if making use of visualization and multiple operations.

The solution comes with a one time perpetual license which is included with the server. It entails costs beyond that of the standard fee.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is mostly deployed on private cloud.

I can safely state that we have more than 100 users making use of the solution, since we have installed more than 10 or 20 servers to different locations.

The basic package can include iLO features.

I rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers as a nine out of ten.

PS
System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Rapid technical support, feature-rich, and easy to install

What is our primary use case?

We are using these servers as cluster nodes. We are running VM with Hyper-V.

What is most valuable?

This product is feature-rich and is easy to install.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, there are connectivity issues and the server is not able to connect to our SAN. One example is when we reboot from SAN storage, we face issues such as not being able to detect the SAN port. After we installed two new physical hard disks, that issue went away. It should be more stable.

We have been using the ProLiant DL Servers for the past four years.

What is our primary use case?

We are using these servers as cluster nodes. We are running VM with Hyper-V.

What is most valuable?

This product is feature-rich and is easy to install.

What needs improvement?

We have been using the ProLiant DL Servers for the past four years.

These servers are stable, although sometimes there are connectivity issues. We do plan to continue using them in the future.

This is a scalable product. We have a five-node cluster with close to 3,500 users using different applications.

Technical support is rapid and very good. They take our calls immediately and resolve issues within four to five hours. The last time we had an issue, it was resolved immediately.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy. It will take about an hour to deploy, from scratch.

We deployed this product ourselves.

We have a data center team and a NOC team, with seven people who are managing these servers.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AH
Information Technology System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Good stability, easy management, and meets our needs

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all of our needs. We use it for our servers, appliances, and virtualization. We have Gen8 and Gen10 models.

What is most valuable?

Its management, IOs, and stability are the most valuable features. It works fine.  It has all the features of a typical server. All that can be done has already been done.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of Gen8 models should be improved. They can also improve its price.

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

It is very stable.

Gen8 models are not as scalable as Gen10. You can't get parts for Gen8, but you can get parts for Gen10.

We have about 2,000 users, and they all use these servers.

It is fairly decent. It is straightforward most of the time. It takes less than a day for a server.

We installed them ourselves. The number of people required depends on how many servers you are deploying.

The hardware should be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

HPE servers are pretty decent. We will definitely keep using them until their end of life. I am quite satisfied with this solution.

I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers an eight out of ten.