MunawarKhan
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Single management of the complete stack, fast creation of VM systems, and very good support

• "Our clients are very comfortable with the single management of the complete stack. The creation of VM systems is also very fast."
  • "Its price can be improved. Customers always look for better prices. It is more expensive as compared to other products available in the market."

What is our primary use case?

I am not an end-user. I am a Solutions Architect, and I design solutions based on SimpliVity. Our F&B clients use it in their companies.

What is most valuable?

Our clients are very comfortable with the single management of the complete stack. The creation of VM systems is also very fast.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. Customers always look for better prices. It is more expensive as compared to other products available in the market.

It is stable.

Technical support is very good for HPE. As compared to other vendors, HPE provides better support for all products, not only for hyper-converged solutions.

90% of our business constitutes HPE solutions. Customers who have a certain set of protocols from their other sub-regions or head offices go with other vendors. We don't have any choice on that.

Its initial setup is a little bit tricky. The actual setup itself takes less time, but it is the planning that takes more time. As HPE claims, an organization can reduce the time drastically and set it up within 30 minutes, but that is a theoretical duration. Practically, it takes longer.

Customers always complain that SimpliVity is a little bit higher in price point as compared to other solutions available in the market.

What other advice do I have?

If an organization's IT team does a complete planned implementation, then that process will be very easy and very quick. If you plan properly before implementing it, you would feel the value of the product. If there is something wrong with the planning, then definitely your expectations from the product would not be met. In my opinion, most of the time, organizations invest in solutions, but they don't invest in the proper resources and implementation. It would be good if people can use HPE's expertise so that they have a greater experience when they invest in these solutions, and they are able to see the value of the solutions implemented by the experts.

I would rate HPE SimpliVity an eight out of 10. I would like to see improvements in terms of the setup and the price. No customer will have 100% satisfaction, but we can raise the bar of satisfaction when we overcome these hiccups.

Presales and Consulting at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Good scalability and excellent technical support

• "The solution is scalable and one of the best in the market."
  • "The solution wasn't able to connect to the cloud, and there's no micro-segmentation. The configuration of this solution is also complex."

What is our primary use case?

We sell SimpliVity to our customers along with all products that can be categorized as hyper-converged infrastructure. I'm a consultant in pre-sales, and we are resellers and distributors.

How has it helped my organization?

We find the solution exciting and rewarding. When we first began with the product, we realized that it wasn't for larger markets. It was meant for only small business enterprises. But with time, the product expanded to incorporate larger markets and became more appropriate for our market. So it's more of an exciting experience these days.

What is most valuable?

SimpliVity's ability to scale a product like Vmware to the cloud is one feature we found most valuable. SimpliVity is great for small companies. It's a nice product, and our customers are really happy with it. HPE focuses on VMware, and it really shines as a VMware. It's a very good design, and they've put some serious thought into the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a complex configuration. So I think they should simplify the con. They should go back to having special hardware for the compression with T2, so you don't need to have a big processor if you use just one processor.

We've been using it for about five to six years.

The scalability of this solution is great but could be better.

The technical support was excellent.

The configuration was a bit complex.

The pricing is fair. However, there's no need to base the pricing on the number of processors you have. The pricing goes up if you are trying to use two CPU configurations.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great choice for people who run small businesses, and their storage capacity doesn't expand more than the number of their virtual machines. The solution doesn't support storage-only nodes. It only supports compute-only nodes, so you have to buy a new license when you increase storage by buying a new node.

I'll rate it an eight or nine out of ten, I think it is one of the best in the market.

Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SumitVerma
Business Development Head at Fast in Cloud
Great data compression ratio but could be more compatible and more secure

• "What I like about SimpliVity is the brand value of HP. I also like the data compression ratio, which is around more than 75% data compression ratio. HP's support and the ease of working with SimpliVity are also valuable features."
  • "Once I am onto the SimpliVity environment, I always have to go with HP because I am somewhat blocked, like Apple. Secondly, if I want to increase only storage, I need to buy an entire computing node for that, an entire HCI node."

What is our primary use case?

One of the use cases was that a customer had around 10 servers, which stopped working. The customer wanted to replace all those servers with new ones. I proposed that they should use the SimpliVity solution in place of 10 servers with around 100TB of data in a discrete environment. SimpliVity is an on-premise solution. It's not cloud-based.

We have four customers who deal with HP SimpliVity.

What is most valuable?

What I like about SimpliVity is the brand value of HP. I also like the data compression ratio, which is around more than 75% data compression ratio. HP's support and the ease of working with SimpliVity are also valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Once I am into the SimpliVity environment, I always have to go with HP because I am somewhat blocked, like Apple. Secondly, if I want to increase only storage, I need to buy an entire computing node for that, an entire HCI node. However, there are certain other providers, like Hitachi and AirDeck, that provide solutions. You can go with any of the hardware infrastructure, and they can provide you with their solutions for HCI itself. HCI is a simple software layer, a hypervisor layer for them.

So, they can add computing, storage, and networking to it that is vendor agnostic. In HP, Dell, VxRail, or Cisco, there is a drawback. I have to go with that brand again, and I have to add a simple load of HCI in place if I want to increase computing, networking, or storage.

SimpliVity is also compatible with all HP appliances, though it is not compatible with other brands or vendors. It could be more compatible and more secure.

I've been using SimpliVity for a couple of years. My core extent is cybersecurity.

HP is renowned for scalability. They're using Nimble and three-part technology for storage and backup.

We have four engineers on our technical team.

There are plenty of hyperconverged solutions in the market like Nutanix, Dell, VxRail, etc.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 6 out of 10. I would recommend HP SimpliVity for people who want to start using it.

Group IT Manager at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Effective backup and replication, highly stable, and helpful support

• "I have found backup and replication to be useful. We have a 10 megabit line between the data center and our main site. The backup and replication are very good. Additionally, the solution runs on VMware which is a benefit."
  • "The interface is good but takes some time to get used to."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the hospitality industry with 10 hotels, and all the systems are on HPE SimpliVity infrastructure. We have our 10 systems on the infrastructure, such as a huge hospitality application, finance, and material control systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The interface is good but takes some time to get used to.

I have been using HPE SimpliVity for approximately two years.

The solution is highly stable.

We do not need to scale the solution because we have purchased it with servers, with two processors, and 750 gigabytes of memory per server. We have everything that we need and do not need to upgrade or scale the server or scale the infrastructure.

The technical support is good.

When the Dell PowerEdge infrastructure became old we then decided to switch to SimpliVity. We have also used Dell VxRail and all the other solutions that we had upgraded at that time.

The initial setup is a bit complicated. Setting up the networking and other infrastructure can be difficult if you are have not done it before. There are lots of things that you have to take into consideration, and at that time it was quite new to us. The total time it took for everything to work correctly was approximately four days.

HPE did parts of the implementation with us.

The price of the solution is reasonable. We have purchased a five-year license with all the support and upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is HPE SimpliVity It is a very good system, very stable, and has lots of features that we have not seen work well in other systems. All the features work incredibly well with HPE SimpliVity.

I rate HPE SimpliVity an eight out of ten.

DS
Junior Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Easy and fast application hosting but problems with stability and support

• "The most valuable feature is that the product has an inborn backup."
  • "The setup was complex, as it has multiple integrations with multiple orients."

What is our primary use case?

My main use case is hosting in-house applications as well as public applications over the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

With HPE SimpliVity, hosting applications has become very easy and fast.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that the product has an inborn backup, which gives a copy of my primary and secondary copies.

What needs improvement?

There are some problems with the product's stability, specifically with backup, that could be improved. The integration and automation could also be improved. In addition, when updates appear, they are often delayed and don't provide new features. In the next release, I would like to see integrations with multiple OEM vendors and better compatibility with other OEMs.

I've been using HPE SimpliVity for around three years.

The product isn't stable yet, and we are facing a lot of issues. For example, when it comes to integration with multiple applications, it becomes more complex for us to handle, and the security goes wrong.

The scalability is good, but there can be problems with integration and compatibility when patching or updating the product.

I would not rate the technical support highly - we have multiple support cases open without any solution, despite having escalated several times and being told that management is working on it.

The setup was complex, as it has multiple integrations with multiple orients. Deployment took around fifteen minutes to half an hour.

I used a consultant from VMWare to implement the product.

Licensing is available on a yearly basis, with no mandatory additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

Maintenance and monitoring requires a team of between 10-15 people. Before using this product, I would suggest that users check what kind of integrations they're looking for, as an alternative solution may work better for them. I would rate this product as five out of ten.

BB
Senior System Administrator with 11-50 employees
Useful multi-platform support, highly scalable, and reliable

• "The features I have found most valuable are the convergence of the infrastructure and multi-platform support, for example, VMware and Hyper-V"
  • "The solution could improve by adding better support of the VMware add-ons and a more intuitive user interface for administrators."

What is our primary use case?

We are using BHPE SimpliVity for hosting infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The features I have found most valuable are the convergence of the infrastructure and multi-platform support, for example, VMware and Hyper-V.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by adding better support of the VMware add-ons and a more intuitive user interface for administrators.

In a future release, all the management features should be able to access from one location. For example, management of networking and system resources on the server should be in one place to view and manage.

I have been using HPE SimpliVity for approximately two years.

The solution is stable with many high availability features.

HPE SimpliVity is easy to scale. You can simply add resources, for instance, ram, or storage. Additionally, adding another node is possible. It is very easy and straightforward.

We have more than 5,000 people using the solution.

We needed help to integrate some of our older systems to use with HPE SimpliVity and we contacted support. We opened a ticket and they responded within five business days.

We have used Check Point.

The installation difficulty level depends on whose perspective. From a beginner's perspective, it is complex, but for advanced administrators, it is straightforward and not so complicated.

The infrastructure is easy to deploy.

We used integrators to do the implementation of the solution.

We do not have special servers, only regular ones, the maintenance of the solution is simple.

If we compare the price of HPE SimpliVity with other vendors that are selling the hyper-converged infrastructure, all of them are not cheap and are priced similarly. However, the price we pay and what we receive makes it a good price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate HPE SimpliVity an eight out of ten.

EL
VP Comercial at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Makes it easy to manage virtual machines and different workloads and is very easy to implement

• "The backup feature is valuable, and replication is also valuable. It is very quick and easy to use."
  • "I'm not a technical guy, and I am pretty much okay with the way it is, but it would help if it was closest to Nutanix in Gartner's Magic Quadrants. Nutanix very often beats us. Nutanix provides Acropolis for free. It probably would be great if we have a virtualization layer. It is something that might be lacking in our solution. We depend on VMware, and it is very expensive. It is lacking the software that allows us to install it with HPE and not depend on a third party."

What is our primary use case?

We have sold about three SimpliVity solutions. They are very small implementations. The use cases are mostly related to virtualization in terms of getting rid of SAN for virtualization and making management easier.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes it easy for our customers to manage all virtual machines and different workloads and be agile.

What is most valuable?

The backup feature is valuable, and replication is also valuable.

It is very quick and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I'm not a technical guy, and I am pretty much okay with the way it is, but it would help if it was closest to Nutanix in Gartner's Magic Quadrants. Nutanix very often beats us. Nutanix provides Acropolis for free. It probably would be great if we have a virtualization layer. It is something that might be lacking in our solution. We depend on VMware, and it is very expensive. It is lacking the software that allows us to install it with HPE and not depend on a third party.

We were a partner for HPE for 16 years. So, when they bought SimpliVity, we just started selling the product.

It is very stable.

It is scalable.

I'm not sure about that because I'm not an end-user, but I suppose it is great as other products.

Its initial setup is very easy. For its deployment and maintenance, all three customers have only one engineer.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a technical guy, but it is very easy. I've heard a few stories that some of the other solutions are not that easy, but our engineers have implemented it very quickly. So, I would advise others to go for it because it is a very easy solution. The backup feature is built into the application. So, you don't need to spend money on the licenses for backup.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

RB
Product Manager at Nuxiba
A complete user-friendly solution with a straightforward setup

• "It's a very nice solution. It's a complete solution that we are looking for because we don't have personnel with expertise."
  • "There is room for improvement in the operations area because the support for that server space is minimal."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for our customers. We buy and rent HPE SimpliVity to our customers as a SaaS.

How has it helped my organization?

In our case, we have an improvement in the operatives area because the support for that server space is minimal. For instance, I don't have to be an expert to work with them.

What is most valuable?

I have a lot of benefits from it. I like that I can create a service as I need it. I don't need new licenses for operating systems. I don't need to ask for server space, I don't need to wait for support, and I don't need to wait for monitoring.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the operations area because the support for that server space is minimal. I want to sell a solution, but not bigger than the one I have. Maybe they can offer more features for more customers and optimize it, but with the same protections that I already have right now.

I want to replicate my business offering in the United States. I want to pay for HPE SimpliVity in Mexico, but they told me that it's not possible. They told me that I need to look for a representative in the United States and make all the payments over there.

We have been using HPE SimpliVity for two months.

The setup was very easy, but it is hard to deploy. We had problems with training after the setup. We think that we need at least four weeks.

What other advice do I have?

Training is important before integration. Ask HPE for at least four weeks for integration before they start sending out invoices.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE SimpliVity a nine.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free HPE SimpliVity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.