MunawarKhan
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Single management of the complete stack, fast creation of VM systems, and very good support

• "Our clients are very comfortable with the single management of the complete stack. The creation of VM systems is also very fast."
  • "Its price can be improved. Customers always look for better prices. It is more expensive as compared to other products available in the market."

What is our primary use case?

I am not an end-user. I am a Solutions Architect, and I design solutions based on SimpliVity. Our F&B clients use it in their companies.

What is most valuable?

Our clients are very comfortable with the single management of the complete stack. The creation of VM systems is also very fast.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. Customers always look for better prices. It is more expensive as compared to other products available in the market.

It is stable.

Technical support is very good for HPE. As compared to other vendors, HPE provides better support for all products, not only for hyper-converged solutions.

90% of our business constitutes HPE solutions. Customers who have a certain set of protocols from their other sub-regions or head offices go with other vendors. We don't have any choice on that.

Its initial setup is a little bit tricky. The actual setup itself takes less time, but it is the planning that takes more time. As HPE claims, an organization can reduce the time drastically and set it up within 30 minutes, but that is a theoretical duration. Practically, it takes longer.

Customers always complain that SimpliVity is a little bit higher in price point as compared to other solutions available in the market.

What other advice do I have?

If an organization's IT team does a complete planned implementation, then that process will be very easy and very quick. If you plan properly before implementing it, you would feel the value of the product. If there is something wrong with the planning, then definitely your expectations from the product would not be met. In my opinion, most of the time, organizations invest in solutions, but they don't invest in the proper resources and implementation. It would be good if people can use HPE's expertise so that they have a greater experience when they invest in these solutions, and they are able to see the value of the solutions implemented by the experts.

I would rate HPE SimpliVity an eight out of 10. I would like to see improvements in terms of the setup and the price. No customer will have 100% satisfaction, but we can raise the bar of satisfaction when we overcome these hiccups.

Presales and Consulting at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Good scalability and excellent technical support

• "The solution is scalable and one of the best in the market."
  • "The solution wasn't able to connect to the cloud, and there's no micro-segmentation. The configuration of this solution is also complex."

What is our primary use case?

We sell SimpliVity to our customers along with all products that can be categorized as hyper-converged infrastructure. I'm a consultant in pre-sales, and we are resellers and distributors.

How has it helped my organization?

We find the solution exciting and rewarding. When we first began with the product, we realized that it wasn't for larger markets. It was meant for only small business enterprises. But with time, the product expanded to incorporate larger markets and became more appropriate for our market. So it's more of an exciting experience these days.

What is most valuable?

SimpliVity's ability to scale a product like Vmware to the cloud is one feature we found most valuable. SimpliVity is great for small companies. It's a nice product, and our customers are really happy with it. HPE focuses on VMware, and it really shines as a VMware. It's a very good design, and they've put some serious thought into the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a complex configuration. So I think they should simplify the con. They should go back to having special hardware for the compression with T2, so you don't need to have a big processor if you use just one processor.

We've been using it for about five to six years.

The scalability of this solution is great but could be better.

The technical support was excellent.

The configuration was a bit complex.

The pricing is fair. However, there's no need to base the pricing on the number of processors you have. The pricing goes up if you are trying to use two CPU configurations.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great choice for people who run small businesses, and their storage capacity doesn't expand more than the number of their virtual machines. The solution doesn't support storage-only nodes. It only supports compute-only nodes, so you have to buy a new license when you increase storage by buying a new node.

I'll rate it an eight or nine out of ten, I think it is one of the best in the market.

Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Group IT Manager at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Effective backup and replication, highly stable, and helpful support

• "I have found backup and replication to be useful. We have a 10 megabit line between the data center and our main site. The backup and replication are very good. Additionally, the solution runs on VMware which is a benefit."
  • "The interface is good but takes some time to get used to."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the hospitality industry with 10 hotels, and all the systems are on HPE SimpliVity infrastructure. We have our 10 systems on the infrastructure, such as a huge hospitality application, finance, and material control systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The interface is good but takes some time to get used to.

I have been using HPE SimpliVity for approximately two years.

The solution is highly stable.

We do not need to scale the solution because we have purchased it with servers, with two processors, and 750 gigabytes of memory per server. We have everything that we need and do not need to upgrade or scale the server or scale the infrastructure.

The technical support is good.

When the Dell PowerEdge infrastructure became old we then decided to switch to SimpliVity. We have also used Dell VxRail and all the other solutions that we had upgraded at that time.

The initial setup is a bit complicated. Setting up the networking and other infrastructure can be difficult if you are have not done it before. There are lots of things that you have to take into consideration, and at that time it was quite new to us. The total time it took for everything to work correctly was approximately four days.

HPE did parts of the implementation with us.

The price of the solution is reasonable. We have purchased a five-year license with all the support and upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is HPE SimpliVity It is a very good system, very stable, and has lots of features that we have not seen work well in other systems. All the features work incredibly well with HPE SimpliVity.

I rate HPE SimpliVity an eight out of ten.

BB
Senior System Administrator with 11-50 employees
Useful multi-platform support, highly scalable, and reliable

• "The features I have found most valuable are the convergence of the infrastructure and multi-platform support, for example, VMware and Hyper-V"
  • "The solution could improve by adding better support of the VMware add-ons and a more intuitive user interface for administrators."

What is our primary use case?

We are using BHPE SimpliVity for hosting infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The features I have found most valuable are the convergence of the infrastructure and multi-platform support, for example, VMware and Hyper-V.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by adding better support of the VMware add-ons and a more intuitive user interface for administrators.

In a future release, all the management features should be able to access from one location. For example, management of networking and system resources on the server should be in one place to view and manage.

I have been using HPE SimpliVity for approximately two years.

The solution is stable with many high availability features.

HPE SimpliVity is easy to scale. You can simply add resources, for instance, ram, or storage. Additionally, adding another node is possible. It is very easy and straightforward.

We have more than 5,000 people using the solution.

We needed help to integrate some of our older systems to use with HPE SimpliVity and we contacted support. We opened a ticket and they responded within five business days.

We have used Check Point.

The installation difficulty level depends on whose perspective. From a beginner's perspective, it is complex, but for advanced administrators, it is straightforward and not so complicated.

The infrastructure is easy to deploy.

We used integrators to do the implementation of the solution.

We do not have special servers, only regular ones, the maintenance of the solution is simple.

If we compare the price of HPE SimpliVity with other vendors that are selling the hyper-converged infrastructure, all of them are not cheap and are priced similarly. However, the price we pay and what we receive makes it a good price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate HPE SimpliVity an eight out of ten.

RB
Product Manager at Nuxiba
A complete user-friendly solution with a straightforward setup

• "It's a very nice solution. It's a complete solution that we are looking for because we don't have personnel with expertise."
  • "There is room for improvement in the operations area because the support for that server space is minimal."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for our customers. We buy and rent HPE SimpliVity to our customers as a SaaS.

How has it helped my organization?

In our case, we have an improvement in the operatives area because the support for that server space is minimal. For instance, I don't have to be an expert to work with them.

What is most valuable?

I have a lot of benefits from it. I like that I can create a service as I need it. I don't need new licenses for operating systems. I don't need to ask for server space, I don't need to wait for support, and I don't need to wait for monitoring.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the operations area because the support for that server space is minimal. I want to sell a solution, but not bigger than the one I have. Maybe they can offer more features for more customers and optimize it, but with the same protections that I already have right now.

I want to replicate my business offering in the United States. I want to pay for HPE SimpliVity in Mexico, but they told me that it's not possible. They told me that I need to look for a representative in the United States and make all the payments over there.

We have been using HPE SimpliVity for two months.

The setup was very easy, but it is hard to deploy. We had problems with training after the setup. We think that we need at least four weeks.

What other advice do I have?

Training is important before integration. Ask HPE for at least four weeks for integration before they start sending out invoices.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE SimpliVity a nine.

Hybrid Cloud
WA
Co-Founder at BIGBOOM ASIA CO.,LTD.
Easy to scale and setup, with excellent support, but the price could be improved

• "The most valuable feature is high availability."
  • "I think that they should have their own hyper-converged system."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for a VDI system.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE SimpliVity can improve our DR solution.

I would recommend this for the Hospitality industry because of the data recovery. I think that HPE SimpliVity is the answer.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is high availability.

What needs improvement?

We haven't really explored all areas of this solution we are still in the POC phase.

Pricing and monitoring could be improved.

I think that they should have their own hyper-converged system.

I started using HPE SimpliVity approximately two months ago.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues with stability.

This solution is scalable. You can add additional nodes at any time. It's easier to scale than Cisco Hyperflex and better than Nutanix.

Technical support is excellent.

Previously, we did not use another solution.

SimpliVity is the first HCI that we have implemented in this company. We have learned and gained more experience in this area.

The initial setup was simple. It took one week to deploy.

We did not deploy this solution ourselves, we used a system provider.

The hardware is expensive. For the same price, Cisco can provide more hardware specifications for us.

The hardware costs are more of an issue than the licensing costs.

We also evaluated Nutanix.

Nutanix is quite expensive. It's at least two times more expensive than SimpliVity.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Edmundo Tapia
Chief of Information Technology at SOFTYS
Setup easy, stable, and very fast at setup and operating

• "The setup is very easy."
  • "They could have better-specialized support for more countries."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for virtualised infraestructure of servers.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE Simplivity improved the space of disk with deduplication, reduced the time of backups and recovers.

What is most valuable?

One of the key features is the solution is really fast for backups and deduplication is amazing.

What needs improvement?

It would be good to have more compatibility with other solutions as an improvement in the future. As a suggestion, in order to have compatibility with other solutions, there could be a license fee for this, and if you don't need to them then you do not need to pay.

I have been using the solution for one year.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is good but you need to pay for the additional nodes that can be expensive. We are currently using the solution for one thousand people in our organization.

They could have better-specialized support for more countries.

I rate the customer service of HPE SimpliVity a seven out of ten.

The setup is very easy.

We have three nodes around the country and it took just one week for the deployment.

The solution can be expensive if you are using a lot of nodes.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to use this product to be careful before setting up the solution that you have enough disk space, if you do not, you will have to pay for it which is expensive.

The solution works great, it is amazing.

I rate HPE SimpliVity a ten out of ten.

RH
Senior Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable replication and backup capabilities, and good technical support

• "The most valuable features are replication and backup."
  • "When it comes to performing backups, the dashboard is not intuitive and not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we implement HPE products such as SimpliVity for our customers. I am not a customer and I do not use all of the products that we sell, although I know these solutions. SimpliVity is a product that also we use ourselves.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are replication and backup.

This solution is very intuitive and flexible.

The vendor was quick to provide support for VMs in the product.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for having different clustered environments for production and testing.

When it comes to performing backups, the dashboard is not intuitive and not user-friendly. This is something that should be improved. It should be easier to perform backups.

I have been using HPE SimpliVity for approximately four years.

Using SimpliVity improves the stability of the environment.

The scalability is the best in the market. We have between 10 and 15 users in our organization, and it is installed in the data center.

Technical support is very good and I would rate them a ten out of ten.

The initial setup is easy and it will take five or six hours to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that it is easy to deploy and set up replication for use in a data center. It can be used in production for DLP.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.