HPE SimpliVity Overview

HPE SimpliVity is the #7 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to Nutanix Acropolis AOS: HPE SimpliVity vs Nutanix Acropolis AOS

What is HPE SimpliVity?

HPE SimpliVity provides the most complete hyperconverged solution, powering the world’s most efficient and resilient data centers and delivering up to 49% cost savings verses public cloud alternatives. A market and customer satisfaction leader, HPE SimpliVity dramatically simplifies IT by combining all infrastructure and advanced data services—including guaranteed data efficiency, built-in data protection, and VM-centric mobility—onto the customer’s choice of server. With HPE SimpliVity, expand your possibilities, not your data center.

HPE SimpliVity is also known as SimpliVity, HPE HCI.

HPE SimpliVity Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE SimpliVity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

HPE SimpliVity Customers

Red Bull Racing, Mandarin Oriental, Brigham Young University, UCLA, Merlin Entertainments, Sasa Cosmetics, Travelport, St. John’s Riverside Hospital, Princess House

HPE SimpliVity Video

HPE SimpliVity Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Ashis Das
Senior Visual Compute Engineer at CrowdStrike
Aug 19, 2018

What is our primary use case?

General IT workloads of core services and standard line of business applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced storage footprint of primary and secondary copies of data and WAN replication bandwidth with good performance.

What is most valuable?

Dedupe, compression, and replication of primary and secondary data, locally and remotely. Less experienced admins can perform storage tasks.

What needs improvement?

Needs decoupling of distributed data fabric to run in a hyperscale deployment outside the hypervisor on dedicated nodes.

SystemsEng
System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 7, 2018
It has a proven track record of stability

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are using it for our VMware workstation. We use it to host our non-production servers.

What is most valuable?

The hardware deduplication, because it is better for this use case.

What needs improvement?

We should have something called micro segmentation inside the SimpliVity box, which can be easily implemented. They are using backup from snapshots. Maybe they can integrate with VM or similar mechanics.

Less than one year.

It has a proven track record of stability.

The scalability is okay.

HPE has a good track record of support. …
Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,249 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Steve Schaaf
VP/Chief Technology Officer at Francis Drilling Fluids, Ltd.
Jul 22, 2018
Valuable features include ease of use, disaster recovery, and reliability

What is our primary use case?

At FDF Energy Services, IT is an important differentiator. It allows us to maintain a significant competitive advantage in the market. OmniCube is a perfect fit for our infrastructure because it allows us to simultaneously improve our levels of data protection and disaster recovery capabilities, while significantly reducing our costs. The simplification of our IT environment, coupled with the cost savings, allows us to further invest in the applications running our business.

• "Valuable features include ease of use, disaster recovery, and reliability."

What other advice do I have?

I have a lot of confidence in the SimpliVity OmniCube product. It has enabled us to streamline our data center and improve our ability to rapidly recover from a disaster.
    reviewer899019
    Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jul 12, 2018

What is our primary use case?

I was searching for a high availability system that could replace our traditional SAN and be responsible for computer configuration and backup.

• "Offsite backup, replication, and duplication of data are important for our plant environment since we are hard on our equipment."
    • "Bandwidth throttling during offsite backups would be better than the off-peak time setting for a 24/7 shop."
    Ismael Prieto
    Director at ISA
    Reseller
    Jul 11, 2018
    Its deduplication and backup functions are reliable

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers. We change virtual environments and use c7000 plus 3PAR Blades. The repository is for virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

We have VxRail and are comparing HPE SimpliVity deduplication with that of Vxrail.

What is most valuable?

Its deduplication and backup functions are reliable. The add-ons are good options.

What needs improvement?

The customer has 100 virtual machines. We need to offer high availability for their production environment.

KeithBraithwaite
    Manager, Corp IT Infrastructure at Domo
    Jun 5, 2018
    Technology consolidation resulted in lower overall costs in the form of less administrative overhead

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE SimpliVity for general corporate IT applications and to support our DevOps automation software.

• "The ease of setting up our DR site with SimpliVity. It was very simple. I did not have to set up a separate storage, server, and networking environments."
    • "I would love it if the solution would auto data balance within the cluster. It is possible, and eventually, it will be likely that certain nodes within the same cluster will hold more data than the other nodes."
    Jonny Cabrera
    Gerente de ingeniería with 11-50 employees
    May 15, 2018
    Versatile and provides more velocity in our applications

What is our primary use case?

Hyperconvergence.

How has it helped my organization?

More velocity in applications.

What is most valuable?

Versatile.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better and it needs to back to other storage.

Justin Brooks
    Systems Engineer III at Pitt Ohio Express
    May 14, 2018
    Provides our organization with a cost effective DR/data protection solution

What is our primary use case?

We run almost all of our production environment on SimpliVity. This includes Citrix, SQL, file, and production applications.

• "SimpliVity has provided our organization with a cost effective DR/data protection solution."
    • "The backup and recovery is very fast, effective, and easy to use."
    • "Software upgrades and scalability can be done during normal business hours with no downtime."
    • "The ability to manage the environment without special consoles or interfaces is a plus."
    • "SimpliVity needs to improve the support for native backups, like SQL and Exchange."
    • "File level restores work well, but indexing will help make the process faster."
    • "SimpliVity needs to add support for Hyper-V and KVM."
    it_user850320
    Infrastructure and Technology Consultant at Infinia Solutions
    Apr 16, 2018
    It has a unique platform of computing, cloud management, storage, and integrated networks

What is our primary use case?

Powerful, unbeatable hyper-converged solution from HPE SimpliVity 380 with OmniStack.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows you to take advantage of the unique platform of computing, cloud management, storage, and integrated networks, as well as software-defined data management, which is easy to use.

What is most valuable?

The most complete hyper-convergence infrastructure solution in the industry complying with the number one server platform in the market.

What needs improvement?

Simplify the backup and restore: With integrated backup and remote replication, it could reduce risk and eliminates the use of legacy data tools.

Investing less time in…
    anush santhanam
    Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Mar 1, 2018

What is our primary use case?

As a service integrator we have recommended and implemented SimpliVity for numerous use cases but the product is particularly suited for ROBO and VDI use cases. We are looking at SImpliVity as a solution for Tier 2 and some Tier 1 apps in DC.

• "The globally federated architecture means that the backup across sites does not consume precious MPLS bandwidth, which is cool."
    • "The simple management comes in handy since a standard VMware admin can manage it."
    • "The HyperGuarantee is unique and the accelerator card is the primary IP with the product."
    • "No SAN switches and having a native backup is pretty cool."
    • "HPE support is still not aware/trained on SimpliVity, and this is beginning to show."
    • "While SimpliVity was a pioneer of cloud connect capability, they have simply not exploited it."
    • "SimpliVity has little to no integrations."
    • "While it has been a while since HPE acquired SimpliVity, there is a lack of understanding/awareness about the product. In short, it took me time to actually make them understand they had a product named SimpliVity, which as you can imagine does not instill a great deal of confidence."

What other advice do I have?

Have a look at multiple solutions before making up your mind. Remember to take a top down approach and start with the app layer first. Your workload decides the infrastructure, not the other way around. Also, for most use cases, look to see if you can use all-flash as the price point, as it has come down significantly. However ridiculous as this may seem, read the guides and manuals carefully before implementation as they do have points that need to be looked at. If you do not believe me, you will end up going back to the same document anyway, which you want to avoid.
    Jim Malone
    Manager -Information Technology at Carolina Sunrock
    Feb 28, 2018
    The accelerator card is a lifesaver for speeding up backups

What is our primary use case?

Day-to-day use. We implemented SimpliVity a little over a year ago. I could not be more pleased with the outcome.

• "I have saved time and money by moving to the platform."
    • "The accelerator card is a lifesaver for speeding up backups."
    • "My day-to-day experiences are better now that my backups are no longer running into production."
    • "The initial setup was very easy as I had the SimpliVity engineers work with our managed services."
    • "I would love to see a more proactive approach to implementing patches and reaching out to customers with new initiatives."

What other advice do I have?

If you are just starting your vetting process, make sure SimpliVity is on the table, you won't be disappointed.
    it_user818898
    IT solution Specilaist with 11-50 employees
    Feb 18, 2018
    It helps us save on the cost of storage

What is our primary use case?

Production servers running on virtualization (such as web, DB, mail, and file), and the report server requires more disk performance to reduce report generation.

How has it helped my organization?

Improves backup time and DR solution. We can backup with more frequency and minimize RPO and RTO.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication Compression It helps us save on the cost of storage and improves the backup and DR solution.

What needs improvement?

Cloud integration, such as Azure and AWS. It would be better if we could deploy a hybrid cloud integrated to SimpliVity.

it_user784089
    Senior IM Manager
    Dec 26, 2017
    Reduced our virtual machine hosting to two units per site; fast backups, good DR

What is our primary use case?

We are hosting virtual machines on it, and it is performing quite well.

• "It's very simple to manage. It has reduced the footprint in the datacenters quite a lot."
    • "I can say that the support was better when it was a separate company, when it was SimpliVity. But, now with HPE it has not been quite as good. B"

What other advice do I have?

In terms of the most important criteria when selecting a vendor, that really depends on the vendor. But of course trustworthiness. And it usually comes down to product rather than partner. But, of course partners, and vendors themselves, are also important. I think it's really complex to focus on a few things. If you bring in something new we usually like to to see what the end product can actually do. But of course the support on top of that is also important. If you have a good product but nobody can install it or maintain it or give support, then it would also be bad. I've always said to…
    it_user784002
    Platforms Engineer
    Dec 26, 2017
    It has been performing well. It was more than what we expected.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a Tentacle system, which we provide to our customers. At the moment, it is not in full release, we have just been testing the following: Virtualization VMs. It has been performing well. It was more than what we expected. We have been testing it for three months now.

How has it helped my organization?

We are still on a PoC. We have not pushed it out that far. We are expecting the speed that we have seen so far.

What is most valuable?

From a generic point of view: The sheer speed The sheer power.

Which solution did I use

it_user784092
    Systems Analyst at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Dec 24, 2017
    It is a very nice solution. Very simple to use.

What is our primary use case?

Our main idea is to use SimpliVity in a robot scenario. To create a robot, recovery assessment tool for our ranked offices. It is a very interesting platform, because the operation is very easy. It is integrated with the interfaces which we use every day in all of our platforms. We think it could be a huge advantage for us.

• "​My impression is that it is a very nice solution. Very simple to use."
    • "Technical support is perfect. They explain to us the solution in a very clear and simple way. When we call them, they know the right answer and get the right person automatically."
    • "It is not as flexible as we want. We have asked for some more granular scalability. For example, the ability to add some disks, and not another node, if we need more storage.​"
    • "​I do not see the product really working in productivity at the moment with real loads.​"

What other advice do I have?

Check the solutions on the market. There are a lot of solutions on the market offering this kind of solution. Each solution could have a different approach and different things to offer. I do not see the product really working in productivity at the moment with real loads. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: a strong partner. We think that HPE is a strong partner.
    it_user784044
    Manager ICT at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 13, 2017

What is our primary use case?

It is used as a data center solution. We run all our company's workloads on SimpliVity. It has been running for a year now. We have no complaints as it has been running seamlessly.

• "​Stability is pretty good. We have no complaints as it has been running seamlessly with no downtime.​"
    • "​I have some worries about the support after the acquisition. ​The support was better before HPE acquired SimpliVity."

What other advice do I have?

To really consider a solution based on SimpliVity. Also, look for a reseller that has the knowledge to give proper advice on the material. We have full trust that it will help us in the next few years to deliver the IT functionality that we need in the firm that I work for. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: I fit with that company's cultural, basically. I chose HPE through the reseller that I use. With the reseller, I had the cultural fit.
    it_user543450
    Head of IT at Law Firm
    Nov 27, 2017
    Simple to administer.

What is our primary use case?

Disaster recovery to a secondary datacenter. In order to do that, all of our server infrastructure runs on Simplivity.

• "We use the Omnicubes to replicate our data to a second datacenter. By having our company data on the Omnicubes, we ensure that all of our data is constantly replicated within the defined intervals to the remote site."
    • "We definitely want to see more of the CLI commands come up to the GUI, and it is a legitimate question, if we are going to be happy with the integration in the vsphere web client, which is awfully slow."

What other advice do I have?

Focus on the right sizing for your application tier. The solution is very simple to administer.
    it_user769266
    Gerente Comercial at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Nov 26, 2017
    Deduplicates and compresses online without forgetting disk protection

What is most valuable?

Definitely the deduplication and compression, for the optimization of disk space.

How has it helped my organization?

Simplifies the operations of the server and the administration area.

What needs improvement?

I think the support for the hypervisors needs to be on a higher level.

Three years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability. Has horizontal scalability.

Really good.

Nutanix. We switched because Simplivity deduplicates and…
    Chad Benfield
    Director of IT at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Nov 14, 2017
    It includes backup, deduplication, and WAN optimization and can do disaster recovery with very minimal effort

• "Disaster Recovery (DR) with very minimal effort."
    • "Not being able to apply ESXi patches as needed has always been a concern, but it has not become a big issue."

What other advice do I have?

It truly is as good as it seems, which three and a half years ago was a bit of a leap of faith. We are very happy that we made the leap.
    it_user530316
    IT Manager at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Nov 14, 2017
    Backup and DR capabilities are its most valuable features

What is most valuable?

Backup  Disaster Recovery (DR) capabilities

How has it helped my organization?

We now backup our core VMs on-site every 10 minutes and off-site every 15 minutes.

What needs improvement?

A better GUI for some functions.

Two years.

No issues.

No, but we have only added one node so far.

Customer Service: Very high. Technical Support: Very high.

Traditional stack with storage and compute.

How was the initial

AaronSMR
    Systems Administrator with 201-500 employees
    Nov 14, 2017
    Our backups are now more efficient and reliable because the system manages them much better for us

• "Having one management console to do everything from was a great improvement over dealing with separate hardware for servers, SANs, backups etc."
    • "Upgrading the firmware/software could be more seamless."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to consolidate and simplify the management of various servers, definitely look into a solution from SimpliVity.
    Engin O
    IT Director at Ströer Media AG - Turkey
    Sep 28, 2017
    I am backing up all my data in seconds

• "The backup and restore features are the most valuable."

What other advice do I have?

Anyone looking to implement it should do so without losing any time.
      it_user713316
      IT Systems Architect at a university
      Aug 2, 2017
      A valuable feature is the backup and restore capability

What other advice do I have?

I would have them take a look at it and do a proof of concept. They should take a look the backup and restore and the ability to restore very large VMs in seconds.
      it_user609312
      Sr. Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
      Jul 15, 2017
      Having a private cloud for my organization is valuable.

• "The ease of managing this system."
      • "If there was anything I would like to see, it would be indexed backups."

What other advice do I have?

Having my private cloud within my Simplivity infrastructure has given me so much more than I could have ever expected. I love the ability to fire off a full, application-aware backup of a VM and have it complete in just under four seconds. Also, I can now fail my entire data center over to my DR site and have everything up an running in well under 30 minutes, with my mission-critical servers up in under 10 minutes (the servers do have to power on!). It's awesome. You do need EZ-DR by VM20/20 to accomplish this, but it is a fraction of the cost of VMware Site Recovery Manager. In the world of…
      reviewer583839
      IT Systems Architect at BYU
      Jul 7, 2017
      One of the most valuable features is the backup and restore capability.

What other advice do I have?

I would have them take a look at it and do a proof of concept. Take a look at the backup and restore capability and the ability to restore very large VMs in seconds.
      it_user335280
      Account Manager at a tech services company
      Jun 23, 2017
      It provides all the benefits of a hyperconverged system, and it is stable and scalable.

What other advice do I have?

We advise everybody to invest in evaluating the product directly. For example, we can do a PoC where we implement SimpliVity in an existing environment without interruption of customer services as a test for a couple of weeks. Then the customer is free to decide.
      reviewer583839
      IT Systems Architect at BYU
      Jun 22, 2017
      Prior to Simplivity, we struggled to complete weekly file server backups over the weekend, and full VM restores would take hours.
      dannyyeo62
      Systems Administrator at Brigham Young University
      Jun 22, 2017
      Compression and deduplication of data at inception yielded more capacity than we expected.

• "The ability to backup our data without requiring additional storage media or software application was a huge gain."
      • "Increased storage capacity for big data, something that we have not had."

What other advice do I have?

Be open minded and consider a PoC to run some of your production load. You won't be disappointed.
      it_user684990
      Lead Tech Consultant for Data Center with 51-200 employees
      MSP
      Jun 19, 2017
      Provides scalability and reduces complexity. I would like to see hybrid storage options.

What other advice do I have?

Compared to the protection offerings of the platforms, I think the competing native data protection just isn't there. SimpliVity really got that part nailed down. I would think that's probably an easy way to show the customer that it's the superior product.
      it_user684993
      Senior Cloud Data Architect
      Jun 19, 2017
      Removes the complexities of the storage administration.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that with hyper-converged infrastructure, it's important to understand how the solution is going to meet your needs. It is possible that if the requirements are different, a different vendor would be more appropriate.
      ITsuper677
      IT Supervisor at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
      Jun 18, 2017
      Provides storage compute, speed, and performance.

What other advice do I have?

Understand how the product is actually writing to the hard drives. That's the biggest thing when you're getting to the hyper-converge space where you could lose performance over a direct connect system. Understand what each product is doing differently.
      it_user609492
      IT Director, Infrastructure and Data Integrity at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 18, 2017
      Helps us with the elimination of IOPS.

What other advice do I have?

We were under promised and over delivered! This thing is so much better than you can imagine. My lead engineer is actually 'giddy' playing with this stuff. NetFlix disrupted video watching, Uber disrupted how we publically commute, and SimpliVity will disrupt infrastructure.
      it_user683259
      Sales at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Jun 18, 2017
      Operational efficiency is definitely one of the biggest benefits.

What other advice do I have?

Do it. Try it. PLC it.
      KeithBraithwaite
      Manager, Corp IT Infrastructure at Domo
      Jun 14, 2017
      We also chose it for the simplicity of managing the solution and the price point.

What other advice do I have?

I think they should look at it very seriously, especially if they want to keep their staff slim and still provide all the functionality they're looking for that it can provide.
      it_user680217
      Manager of Virtualization at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      Jun 14, 2017
      This solution’s most valuable feature is its simplicity.

What other advice do I have?

Really give it a test to understand how solution works and how simple it is to manage.
      it_user683262
      Account Manager with 51-200 employees
      Jun 14, 2017
      Hyper-converged infrastructure that provides centralized management.

• "Our customers get a lot more horsepower for a lot less management."
      • "In terms of what I would define as a perfect solution, I am looking for one that is easy to manage, has a real user-friendly interface, and something that is not too complex."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to actually listen to the whole SimpliVity story. Really compare apples to apples, when a lot of manufacturers will bring up their own selling points, which are geared towards their product It looks like a good thing in the initial presentation. In the long run, it may not answer all of your business needs or it might be way more expensive. Really go through the story and see everything that SimpliVity has to offer. When selecting a vendor, the first thing I look for is if they stand behind your product. I want to know that when the customer has issues or problems arise…
      it_user683289
      Enterprise Architect at Jackson laboratory
      Jun 13, 2017
      Our developers are seeing faster response times in executing codes. I would like to see more storage in the next version.

• "It is just a one-stop shop, a single appliance that I can control through my virtual center."
      • "Let us populate the entire node; right now, there are 24 slots in a server and you're only allowed to populate 14."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to go for the All-Flash option, to look at its ease of use. Some of the other competitors have multiple administration consoles where you have to get into this one console to do this one thing and get into that console to do another piece. Really for us, it's having my entire team at one place, i.e., one single-pane-of-glass that they can work out of and it enables all of us to do the same job.
      it_user680265
      Senior Systems/Storage Engineer at Banc of California
      Jun 7, 2017
      Provides inline compression, leverages our existing compute, and does backup in DR.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, I look for customer references if they claim to do something. I definitely had to research. I did a lot of reference checks. the number of customers they have is important, their reference, and where they are at in the industry. It's a very innovative game changer. Go after your requirements, your budget, and your stakeholders. SimpliVity is probably the way to go if you want to stay nimble, innovative, have a smaller IT team, or if you want to have everything centralized with one login. I would like to see what Nimble has done with their InfoSite cloud monitoring, and…
      it_user584109
      Sales & Project Manager at a tech services company
      Mar 20, 2017
      We have stored data, compressed and deduplicated, with less transfer over the WAN.

What other advice do I have?

Visit the SimpliVity website for reference information and familiarization with the product.
      it_user607584
      IT Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Feb 15, 2017
      The compression and backup features are valuable. Provides stability and scalability.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the compression and backup.

How has it helped my organization?

Backups are done on disk, and no longer use tapes. Also, restoration of backups is within seconds.

What needs improvement?

None on technologies side, but the cost of the solution and support would need some improvement

I have used it for one year.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer…
      it_user605250
      System Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Feb 9, 2017
      The built-in backup data protection is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend Simplivity to fill any hyper-converged needs.
      it_user603141
      Feb 9, 2017
      The remote backup functionality is valuable.

What is most valuable?

Inline deduplication and compression Rapid cloning and provisioning of VMs Remote backup functionality Easy handling within vSphere client due to the Simplivity plugin

How has it helped my organization?

Standardization of ROBOs

I have used it for two years.

There were minor bugs that were fixed.

There were minor bugs that were fixed.

So far, we have not encountered any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Customer service is very good; fast reaction time. Technical Support: Technical…
      it_user531087
      Senior Systems Administrator at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
      Jan 31, 2017
      Cross-site federation and integration with vSphere are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

It is well worth seriously considering for any operation that makes heavy use of VMs, particularly clustered servers, VDI, and other highly-redundant data sets. Once installed, OmniStack performs beautifully, integrates painlessly, and can improve virtual datacenter performance magnificently.
      it_user592341
      Senior Engineer/Virtualization Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Jan 25, 2017
      No additional training is necessary for support personnel and engineers. The federation is managed via a plugin in the VMware vSphere client or webclient.

What other advice do I have?

Carefully look into your workload and discuss this with a SimpliVity Partner or Solution Architect. We know that a small set of workloads are not suitable to run OK on the SimpliVity platform. Large database servers could be a problem running on the platform. It’s a great product for most workloads. It may be less useful with very large database server VMs.
      it_user590748
      IT Systems Administrator at a tech services company
      Jan 22, 2017
      It offers instant file-level restore. No deployment or scalability issues.
      it_user364671
      Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Jan 16, 2017
      Metadata caching and the acceleration card support the efficiency of using less SSD and less HDD access.

What other advice do I have?

Take care with 10gbE networking. To save a lot of space and power with this solution, use VMware as the primary hypervisor.
      it_user582870
      Enterprise Infrastructure Architect at loanDepot
      Jan 11, 2017
      It can present itself as NFS SAN to existing compute.

What other advice do I have?

See https://www.linkedin.com/pulse....
      it_user582882
      GM IT Operations at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
      Jan 10, 2017
      The rapid backup and restore functionality improved our efficiency in the development area.

What other advice do I have?

Apart from being a great product supported by a very skilled and friendly team, it is very sexy, and will give you lots of bragging rights!
      it_user572493
      IT Infrastructure at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
      Dec 19, 2016
      We migrated from our legacy solution. I like the uilt-in ability to do backups to DR, do internal backups, and deduplication.
      it_user530523
      IS Specialist at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
      Dec 19, 2016
      I switched from a non-hyperconverged solution. This was less hardware and VMware licensing to manage.

What is most valuable?

Seamless backup, quick deployment.

What needs improvement?

SimpliVity requires an arbiter to be installed on a non-virtualized (or at least on non-SimpliVity virtualized) storage. This means you can not totally virtualize your environment on SimpliVity. I would like to see the arbiter on a system that is virtualized and eliminate that external portion.

About a year.

The VAR that helped with deployment did not know that the arbiter could not be virtualized and this lead to problems down the road when installing updates.

I have not scaled it…
      it_user543450
      Head of IT at Law Firm
      Dec 14, 2016
      Provides Inline deduplication, instant recovery of data across datacenters, and low latency.

What other advice do I have?

We have found no other solution in the market which has the same full set of features. Specifically inline deduplication is unique in its implementation here.
      Steve Schaaf
      VP/Chief Technology Officer at Francis Drilling Fluids, Ltd.
      Nov 24, 2016
      Reduced our data center footprint, increased our application delivery performance, and lowered operational costs.

What other advice do I have?

As an early adopter of SimpliVity’s hyper-converged infrastructure, we’ve seen significant benefits of the solution. SimpliVity reduced our data center footprint from 20U to 4U, increased our application delivery performance by 75%, and lowered operational costs in a major way.
      it_user322023
      Sr. Systems Administrator at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
      Nov 9, 2016
      In-line data-deduplication and data virtualization.

What is most valuable?

In-line data-deduplication and data virtualization. DR Replication. Fast cloning, fast restores, and fast backups.

How has it helped my organization?

Our deploy times are greatly reduced, but what I love most is our ability to sync de-duped data across to our DR site quickly and efficiently. I hope I never need it, but I feel much better about our situation now that we have SimpliVity if we ever need to fail over to our DR site.

What needs improvement?

Ability to add storage incrementally would be nice.

3 months

Minor issues that were quickly resolved with support.

What do I think about the

Chad Benfield
      Director of IT at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
      Oct 14, 2016
      I like the ease of management and speed of deployment.

What other advice do I have?

This solution protects your data with minimal effort. Due to the deduplication, optimization, compression and small block size; our replication happens every 15 minutes without feeling it. We have a very elaborate backup schedule that allows us to keep various levels of backups for extended periods times without hardly using any physical storage. A savings rate of over 130 to 1!
      it_user530316
      IT Manager at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      Oct 13, 2016
      Backup and restore are valuable.

Valuable Features

Backup and restore.

Improvements to My Organization

As a small IT shop we spend less time managing our VMware infrastructure which gives us more time to focus on the front end of our business.

Room for Improvement

Single file restore capabilities and ease.

Use of Solution

18 months

NO -- went up fast and migrated quickly.

Very stable so far...

We added a fourth server with relative ease.

Technical support has been among the best we have dealt with.
      it_user168297
      CTO at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Aug 31, 2016
      Removes all the complicated tasks of backup storage management.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework and compare them to the competition apples for apples so that you see the value the product has from features, ease of use and pricing. I have spoken to other customers at SimpliVity road show events and serve as a customer reference for them when asked. I really believe in the product that much.
      it_user226710
      Technical Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Aug 31, 2016
      The Data Virtualization Platform allows you to achieve great efficiency in storage use, data management, backup and disaster recovery.

What other advice do I have?

Because the crucial point is the Data Virtualization Platform, the key point is the data type evaluation: it’s important to evaluate what type of data will be stored in the appliance. For example, if the data is video streaming, the platform isn’t good because the deduplication won’t will work well. The other key point is an evaluation of the workload to consolidate. I suggest always monitoring the system performance with some tools for defining the CPU, memory, network and disk workload of the system and an audit of the data type that will be managed. With the generic VM data types in our…
      it_user186357
      Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
      Mar 27, 2016
      It's an incredibly elegant solution that is built for the VM, not LUN, which delivers on the vision of VMware Virtual Volumes today.
      Originally posted at http://blog.snsltd.co.uk/an-introduction-to-simplivity-omnicube-a-superior-hyper-converged-platform/  I have looked at many storage technologies over the last few years – these include All-Flash Arrays, Software-Defined Storage, Hyper-Converged Infrastructure and Cloud Gateways. The vendors of these products claim that they deliver something significantly better than what can be found in most data centres today, and in certain ways they do, but they always have a big list of areas that need significant improvement (one key example is that storage platforms that do not have 100% inline de-duplication and compression are starting to look “a bit long in the tooth”). I have also studied VMware Virtual Volumes in depth and the vision of the…
      it_user190191
      Technical IT Manager at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Apr 22, 2015
      Simplivity and the proliferation of Hyperconvergence – VFD4
      In a first of series of blog posts covering some of the vendors that caught my eye at VFD4, I’d like to introduce you all to Simplivity. Hyperconvergence, Convergence, Modular, Traditional – Lots of buzz words used in I.T. covering a multitude of offerings but for the purpose of this post I’d like to define hyperconvergence. Simply put, this involves collapsing several I.T. building blocks such as Compute, Storage, Networking & Apps into a single building block that can be deployed to a datacenter with minimal fuss. Simplivity have taken this a step further by intelligently adding capabilities such as Backup with Dedupe, D.R., WAN acceleration and Cloud Gateway. The diagram below (taken from Simplivity) highlights the journey from the traditional stack to a Hyperconveged stack…
      Sami Ventriglia
      Software & Services Advisor at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Integrator
      Jan 6, 2015
      It is compatible with vCenter only; however, the company says Hyper-V and KVM are coming shortly.

What other advice do I have?

If it's a VDI usere case, how many endpoints on day one, what's your projected growth for the next 5yrs? If it's to replace primary SAN, what is your network today? You do need 10GbE networking.
      it_user164979
      IT Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
      Nov 24, 2014
      Our RPO has gone from 8 hours to 3 hours and we can go back to 6 months of datasets.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication and backup and replication of Vm's.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Backup and replications automation.

6 months.

No deployment issues.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

Veeam and Dell Servers and Storage.

Product Categories
      Hyper-Converged (HCI)
      Download our free HPE SimpliVity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.