HPE StorageWorks MSA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE StorageWorks MSA is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) tools. It is most often compared to IBM FlashSystem: HPE StorageWorks MSA vs IBM FlashSystem

What is HPE StorageWorks MSA?
Whether you need best-in-class performance or are looking to get the most capacity for your investment, MSA has a fast, affordable solution for you. And every MSA comes with an intuitive setup and management interface anyone can master.

HPE StorageWorks MSA is also known as HP StorageWorks MSA.

Download the Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

HPE StorageWorks MSA Customers
Femsa CSC, TTX, Rabobank
HPE StorageWorks MSA Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE StorageWorks MSA pricing:
  • "This solution involves a one-time CapEx payment, followed by warranty extensions."
  • "When we bought this solution it was very reasonably priced and they were willing to deal."
  • "This solution is quite expensive; they should lower the cost."
  • "The price of the solution is a little high and they should provide more competitive pricing. If you want to increases the storage size there are additional fees."

HPE StorageWorks MSA Reviews

MS
Manager of Customer Services with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to deploy and manage with good monitoring capabilities

• "The product is very easy to deploy."
  • "It would be ideal if there was a better management interface."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for our CCTV cameras and systems.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect, for our organization, is its stability.

The product is very easy to deploy.

We've found that the solution overall offers very simple management capabilities.

The monitoring capabilities of the product are very good.

The integration capacity is excellent. We were able to easily integrate the solution with both Microsoft and Linux operating systems.

What needs improvement?

We are only really using the solution for CCTV purposes. It's very basic. We don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Therefore, for our purposes, we aren't really finding anything that is lacking.

It would be ideal if there was a better management interface. The solution should allow for integration with Java.

We've been using the solution for about five years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability of the product is excellent. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It's been very good, performance-wise.

We've never tested that scalability. We've never tried to upgrade the service or expand it. Therefore, it wouldn't be possible to comment on its capabilities or our experiences.

We have different IP cameras. There are around 450. In terms of operators, we have just three.

We do plan to continue to use the solution, at least for the next two years or so.

We haven't really contacted technical support too much. We had to reach out once for patching. They were very helpful and the process was very fast. We were satisfied with the level of service provided.

We did not previously use a different solution. This was our first implementation.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's very easy to deploy in general. It's not complex at all. A company shouldn't run into any problems during the process.

We were able to integrate it with different operating systems without a problem.

The entire implementation took about one day. It wasn't too long of a process.

I was able to manage the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of integrators or consultants.

We don't pay monthly or yearly license fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution ten out of ten. It's a very good, simple entry-level storage system that allows for the separation of operations. We've been only using basic aspects of the solution, and only for CCTV, however, it has provided us with everything we've need and we are quite satisfied with its performance.

Asanka Karunanayake
Head of Hosting & LAN Services at Lanka Communication Services (Pvt) Ltd.
Great Storage at very cost effective price

• "The most valuable features are the storage levels and snapshot features."
  • "This product is getting a little bit older, so new features like deduplication are not included."

What is our primary use case?

We are using virtualization and we use this storage for hosting workloads. We have our own workloads, as well as some for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided much larger capacities to the existing virtualized environments. we have added 4 additional enclosures as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the storage levels and snapshot features.

We also use some of the other common features like zoning control, IO metering, and input/output control.

What needs improvement?

This product is getting a little bit older, so new features like deduplication are not included. We would like to see the environment updated.

We have been using HPE StorageWorks MSA for more than five years.

This is a very stable product.

We have had hard drives fail, although stability was not an issue because RAID manages situations like this. We simply notify the vendor, they come in and replace it in the background, and the matter is solved.

The scalability is very good. This environment is part of our infrastructure. We are an internet service provider (ISP), so we have our own infrastructure hosted. This includes our link monitoring systems and the authentication service center. We also host a large number of customer workloads on virtual machines, which are all running on this system.

The local HPE support has always been good.

We currently have storage arrays by both HPE and Dell. The product from Dell is the PowerVault system.

We will be purchasing an all-flash array, as well. The requirement is due to the high demand for our customers' environments that are using heavy IO.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment is very quick.

We deployed it ourselves, and we had a little bit of support from the vendor. It was not complex because our environment was simple, so we configured it. When we had a doubt about something, we contacted the vendor, but otherwise completed it on our own.

HPE was the initial product that we evaluated. We were content with it, so we went straight to implementing it.

What other advice do I have?

So far, our experience with this product has been great. We've had a small number of issues such as a hard disk failure, but that is manageable with RAID so it has not been a problem. This is a product that I recommend for others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, NetApp, IBM and others in Modular SAN (Storage Area Network). Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SK
IT MGR at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Stable, responsive support, easy to expand, and has dual controllers

• "The most valuable features were the dual controllers and being able to expand it."
  • "The support contract is expensive, although they are very responsive."

What is our primary use case?

When we purchased this solution, we work looking to go from a standalone VMware server to a full-fledged host. We have two hosts and we have the SAN, and so it was the most cost-effective at the time for us, as beginners with SAN technology.

We are currently looking to replace this with a newer product because of its age.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The support contract is expensive, although they are very responsive.

We have been using the HPE MSA 1040 for almost six years.

This is a very stable product.

We have two of these units and we replicate between them with our sister company.

When we purchased it, we had some open drive bays. If we had needed to expand then we could have, but we never had the need to do so.

HP's technical support is great and they helped us with everything.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We paid somebody to take care of the deployment. For both sites, it took about a week to complete.

The ongoing support is expensive and they get a good amount of money, but they are so responsive that I don't mind paying for it.

Our shortlist to replace this solution includes products from SimpliVity, Nimble, and Pure Storage.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and everything I needed it to do, it did and still does.

My advice for anybody who is implementing the MSA is to hire somebody to deploy it if you don't have the staff.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

AliBizmark
Computer and Network Engineer at Jooya Informatics Group
An industry-leading consolidation solution that provide plenty of storage

• "The simple configuration feature is great. It is very simple, allowing you to set up MSA very easily."
  • "Synchronized replication is very important for MSA; however, HPE StorageWorks MSA doesn't provide synchronized replication."

What is most valuable?

Relating to MSA storage, the simple configuration feature is great. It is very simple, allowing you to set up MSA very easily.

What needs improvement?

Synchronized replication is very important for MSA; however, HPE StorageWorks MSA doesn't provide synchronized replication.

I have been using HPE StorageWorks MSA for roughly 15 years.

It's designed for small businesses, not for a large enterprise. The enclosures are enough for this amount of storage. With the sixth generation, we can have nine enclosures and add them to a base chassis.

The scalability could be improved, but it's enough for a small business. If you have a large business, you should opt for HPE Primera or Nimble.

I haven't had to call HP technical support because I am an HP expert and I can set up any HP storage by myself. We have a team of five engineers who handle all maintenance-related issues.

Deployment out-of-the-box until the final configuration took roughly 15 to 30 minutes.

This solution is quite expensive; they should lower the cost.

What other advice do I have?

HPE OneView is a better solution for managing and monitoring MSA. You can't add MSA Storage to OneView. We can add OneView, but we can't add MSA Storage to OneView for monitoring and management.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE StorageWorks MSA a rating of eight. If they improved the central management and lowed the price, I would give it a higher rating.

MD
Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, user-friendly interface, and responsive support

• "The solution is very easy to use, it is not really complex for any user, such as non-technical individuals."
  • "The solution could improve by adding configuration tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE StorageWorks MSA as our central storage for our VMware clusters.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use, it is not really complex for any user, such as non-technical individuals. We have found it simple to guide our customers when needed. The interface is user-friendly and it is not difficult to configure.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by adding configuration tools.

I have been using HPE StorageWorks MSA for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

We have approximately 20 customers using this solution.

The support engineers are knowledgeable and resposive.

The installation is straightforward. The time of the installation depends on the environment. However, it typically takes less than one hour.

We use three HPE engineers that do the implementation of the solution.

The price of the solution is a little high and they should provide more competitive pricing. If you want to increases the storage size there are additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is an entry-level storage system and I would recommend it to others.

I rate HPE StorageWorks MSA an eight out of ten.