HPE StoreVirtual OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE StoreVirtual is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Software Defined Storage (SDS) tools. It is most often compared to VMware vSAN: HPE StoreVirtual vs VMware vSAN

What is HPE StoreVirtual?

HPE StoreVirtual storage ensures that organisations can optimise the benefits of server virtualisation with cost-effective high availability and disaster recovery. The iSCSI-based, scale-out storage platform is easy to manage and change – meeting ongoing business demands without creating IT bottlenecks or application downtime. Overcoming the cost and management limitations of traditional storage area networks (SANs), HPE StoreVirtual nodes use storage clustering to form a single pool of resources that enable organisations to buy only what they need today, scaling non-disruptively to meet requirements in the future.

HPE StoreVirtual is also known as HPE StoreVirtual, HPE VSA.

Download the Software Defined Storage (SDS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

HPE StoreVirtual Customers

NBrIX, WIND Telecom, Netrics

HPE StoreVirtual Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE StoreVirtual pricing:
  • "For our organization, I believe the cost is 16,000 Euros for a three-year license. It costs a bit more to do the maintenance on our servers as well. It's also on an HP ProLiant server and an organization will need to do the maintenance there also. I believe the price for that is around 2000 Euros a year."
  • "It costs less than $10,000 for one machine. If it costs more than 15% higher than this, then the customer may change to another solution."

HPE StoreVirtual Reviews

AR
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Independent of hardware with good stability but requires better integration

• "The solution's most valuable aspect is that it is hardware independent."
  • "The solution needs to ensure it is on par with the industry in terms of availability of features and various other options."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our clients are actually educational or academic institutions. The solution is primarily required for their data centers, where they already have a SAN. Also, they may want to upgrade or add a specific amount of capacity.

There are two types of requirements where StoreVirtual comes in handy. One is if you were to use the software as a service (SAAS), rather than going for an expensive SAN solution. The StoreVirtual software can actually convert our client's server into a storage box. It's like a virtual storage array.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is that it is hardware independent.

The scalability is very good and does not cause it to lose any of its performance.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if HP is integrating various platforms and coming out with newer options on this solution. It needs to be upgraded from time to time. There are some upgrades which are due to take in new features.

We've been dealing with HP storage for more than a decade now.

The solution is stable. Whatever implementation we've done, we've been very satisfied with the solution and haven't experienced any bugs or glitches.

The solution is highly scalable and does not lose any of its performance as it expands.

In the installations we've performed there aren't more than 1,000 or so users.

I've been in touch with HP technical support directly. We've been quite satisfied with the level of service we've been given.

The solution is not complex to implement as well. It's very straightforward. I found it to be quite simple.

What other advice do I have?

We are an IT systems integrator. We have worked with Check Point and Sophos in the past. We are also evaluating Palo Alto for our customers. We are not just dealing with StoreVirtual on its own.

This used to be a LeftHand Networks product, which HP acquired.

I would definitely recommend the solution to other organizations. I would suggest that they have to remember to benchmark it with respect to their infrastructure. It's not necessarily useful for everybody.

There are various acquisitions that HP has done in the storage space. One would have to see how the consolidation happens in the coming months or years.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

PD
System Admin at Stad wervik
Scalable and stable with good synchronous replication

• "The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues with glitches or bugs."
  • "The management aspect of the solution needs to be improved in order to make the product stronger."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our servers and storage servers.

What is most valuable?

The synchronous replication is the solution's most valuable feature for our organization.

All the features we need are available in this product. It's a well-rounded solution.

What needs improvement?

We've been using the solution for four years now.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues with glitches or bugs.

An organization, if they need to, will be able to scale the solution. It's possible to expand it.

We've never directly been in touch with technical support. Our integrator handles any issues, so if they run into problems, they would be the ones to reach out to get assistance.

We previously used a different HP solution. We switched because this solution was less expensive and much more scalable.

I didn't handle the implementation myself and neither did my team, so I don't know enough about it to really talk about what was involved and if it was straightforward or not.

It may take one person to handle the maintenance, but we have an integrator that handles that aspect of the solution for us. We typically buy five or six days a year from our integrator in order for them to handle maintenance for us.

We had an external team handle the implementation for us. They are integrators and they continuously assist with maintenance on an ongoing basis.

For our organization, I believe the cost is 16,000 Euros for a three-year license. It costs a bit more to do the maintenance on our servers as well. It's also on an HP ProLiant server and an organization will need to do the maintenance there also. I believe the price for that is around 2000 Euros a year.

We didn't evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution on a daily basis. In general, we have about 350 individuals on it. They are largely a mix of engineers and architects.

The product we are currently using is at end-of-life, so it's not necessarily something I would recommend.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Nutanix, Red Hat and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chamith Perera
Senior Systems Specialist and Pre-Sales at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Good deduplication, compression features, and replication

• "All of the administrative tasks are easy and everything is centralized."
  • "In our country, Qatar, most of the industry isn't using too much HP. StoreVirtual doesn't move fast. It's not a popular product."

What is our primary use case?

We've implemented this solution for our customer, who is in the sales sector. It's clustered and mapped to one of the blades. We use the solution for a Hyper-V environment and all of our other virtual machines are deployed inside this solution.

What is most valuable?

There's less downtime.

All of the administrative tasks are easy and everything is centralized.

Deduplication, compression features, replication, global mirroring and all the basic features you would expect are there.

What needs improvement?

A virtualization platform should be added to this platform.

It's not an active-active cluster. It's active-passive cluster. The customers are looking for active-active features in their storage solution. The solution should offer this.

I'm actually handling the pre-sales part. My experience is less than two years for this particular product.

The stability is okay. We haven't heard of clients having issues with crashes, bugs, or glitches.

The scalability of the solution is good. However, customers always want to know the cost per rack. There are other products that can give a client more capacity than StoreVirtual in terms of scalability.

Technical support is very good. Most of the time StoreVirtual is actually bundled with the Proactive Care. From HP's side, they offer some good support for their customers.

I'm in pre-sales, so I don't deal with the implementation process. I don't know if it's complex or not.

The StoreVirtual solution is a hardware product, so the customer only purchases licenses on a one-time basis. I have no idea of the exact pricing for that, however. Unless the customer wants to add specific features like replication, all other costs are associated with the software itself.

We're interested in evaluating other solutions such as Red Hat and IBM Spectrum.

What other advice do I have?

StoreVirtual is mostly a mid-range to enterprise-level storage solution. In terms of performance, it's quite good. However, now we have some other products which are even better than HP itself. It's still a good solution. It's just a more competitive landscape.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it had virtualizations and better scalability, I would rank it higher.

Vebjorn Nergaard
Senior IT Engineer at Guard Automation AS
Stable, scalable, and easy to manage

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "The initial setup could be simplified to make it easier for new users."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is deployed with two nodes and then users have a network ride. The storage solution synchronizes, and it's quite like the StarWind solution. We installed two storage virtual machines and they synchronize with each other. That way, if one goes down, the other one will have the same data.

What is most valuable?

The management is very easy.

The solution is very stable.

The solution offers good patching.

What needs improvement?

The challenge we have right now is that the product reaches its end of life in October of 2022. They should continue producing this solution.

The initial setup could be simplified to make it easier for new users.

The solution should offer a simpler network setup.

The product's interface is a bit dated. They should refresh its design.

I've been dealing with the solution for three years.

The solution has been very stable. We've been very satisfied with the solution and haven't run into any bugs, glitches or crashes.

The scalability of the solution is pretty good. You can go up to 50 terabytes.

We've never contacted technical support. I don't have any experience dealing with them.

I've previously used Openfiler. Openfiler didn't have the network RAID, and it didn't synchronize. It was just for one storage solution.

It's a little bit complex to implement the solution. After a while, it's easy. However, the first time you do it it's quite complex. The way networking is designed, it's complicated because you need two virtual features. It's just a little complicated from a network setup perspective.

It takes two to three days to deploy the solution, which isn't too long.

In terms of pricing, for one terabyte, it's free. For four terabytes it's about 2,500 Euros. If you go further up it costs around 10,000 Euros if you want to go to 10 terabytes.

What other advice do I have?

We're an HPE partner.

The solution is deployed as an OVS file. It's an appliance, It's installed as a virtual machine on VMware.

It's a very good solution.

Since it's free for the one terabyte, and it's a very stable solution, it's a good solution to try out. It just works.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the networking wasn't so complicated, I would rate it higher.

QH
Presales engineering, Data center solution architect at SYSTEC TECHNOLOGY INC.
Reseller
Easy to use and has good stability

• "It's very stable and it's easy to use."
  • "It is a costly solution."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a database for Oracle Databases and their ERP system, for the VMware server to run Veeam, and for some websites. For a not very high workload, less than 10 TB. For our customers' database, it's around 2 TB in these use cases.

We are not currently providing services for StoreVirtual, as customers are upgrading to the new model.

What needs improvement?

As for features that can be improved, it is a costly solution. Maybe upgrading to the new model is better. Additionally, it could be more scalable, the scalability can be more loaded.

Lastly, it could use SD to rehash hybrid storage.

Our customers are using this product for around three years.

Normally, the customer complains to HPE. In some cases we go on-site to help customers. Or they just buy our support and we will go to the site to help our customers to do some maintenance.

It costs less than $10,000 for one machine. If it costs more than 15% higher than this, then the customer may change to another solution.

What other advice do I have?

StoreVirtual is a single loader converter. Normally, we will sell NetApp and they scale out some dispatch systems software storage. I know some customers are using the Veeam Manager when it is just a small amount of data and they are using the local hard disk and they want to share storage. We also use the Veeam edition. But now, most customers are more interested in the hyper-converged systems. But you know the cost of hyper-converged. The cost is not so low and customers can pay hundreds and thousands.

My advice is not to pay the full price. Compare it to NetApp ECS or the Lenovo or EMC Unity.

Normally, the customer is using it and we may tell them to continue using this solution, otherwise, we may let them change to another product because HPE is not the main solution for my company. My company is selling NetApp, EMC, Cisco - these are our main business.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this solution an eight. This is because it's very stable and it's easy to use. That's very good. But if you compare it with new technologies like Scalr, like hybrid solutions with SAP to cache to improvements, it may not be a good choice.

KR
Technical Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
A stable, robust solution with good technical support

• "It appears to be very stable and very robust."
  • "One of the areas that need improvement is the consolidated management platform, to manage all of the nodes from one place and the licensing around that."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the stability and that it's robust. It's is one of the reasons that we have been dealing with HP for so many years.

What needs improvement?

There is an issue that I have found with many hyper-converged solutions or systems that you build out into a hyper-converged platform, which is that the management interface is not always consolidated on-site.

I have been dealing with HPE for ten years.

It appears to be very stable and very robust.

The technical support in our country is quite good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Some of the main differences between Cisco and HPE are the single configuration point where you can control the entire system. Both the hardware and the converged infrastructure. Cisco's management interface seems to be a bit better.

What other advice do I have?

We have trouble selling other partner's products because HPE is very well suited for our market, where we are located.

HPE is a very good contender. I work a lot with Cisco and HP but today the products are very much on par as far as availability and performance are concerned. HPE support in my area is better than that of Cisco.

We are technology providers to our clients.

I recommend HPE to many of my clients.

We sell a lot of HP and it's probably one of our largest software platforms.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Ronnie Johnstone
Group ICT Manager at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Flexible with numerous applications and good scalability; UI could be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is administration of archival records. I'm the group ICT manager and we're customers of HPE StoreVirtual.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features of the solution are its flexibility, application and scalability.

What needs improvement?

I think the user interface could be improved as well as the general ease of use. You're not looking to spend tens of thousands of dollars on these applications. What you're trying to do is simplify things.

I've been using this solution for 15 months.

The stability of the solution is fine.

We're just getting into the next phase, but…

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for 15 months.

The stability of the solution is fine.

We're just getting into the next phase, but it looks as if it could scale.

The technical support is perfect.

I believe the pricing of the solution is average.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't highly recommend the solution but I would recommend it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

VB
HPE Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good performance for a solution that is easy to deploy and manage

• "HPE StoreVirtual is very easy to use from the management console."
  • "I would like to have this solution easily integrate with VMware."

What is most valuable?

HPE StoreVirtual is very easy to use from the management console. The interface is very good.

This solution is very easy to deploy.

The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have this solution easily integrate with VMware.

I have been using HPE StoreVirtual for the past four to five years.

This solution is very stable.

This solution scales well and it maintains very good performance as the storage increases.

I have not contacted technical support for this product because it is very easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that when compared to other products, automatic tiering, availability, and disaster recovery are very good.

This solution also integrates well with the Recovery Management Center. We have a backup solution for VMware and Hyper-V, and it is simple to use with HPE StoreVirtaul.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.