HPE StoreVirtual Overview

HPE StoreVirtual is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Software Defined Storage (SDS) tools. It is most often compared to VMware vSAN: HPE StoreVirtual vs VMware vSAN

What is HPE StoreVirtual?

HPE StoreVirtual storage ensures that organisations can optimise the benefits of server virtualisation with cost-effective high availability and disaster recovery. The iSCSI-based, scale-out storage platform is easy to manage and change – meeting ongoing business demands without creating IT bottlenecks or application downtime. Overcoming the cost and management limitations of traditional storage area networks (SANs), HPE StoreVirtual nodes use storage clustering to form a single pool of resources that enable organisations to buy only what they need today, scaling non-disruptively to meet requirements in the future.

HPE StoreVirtual is also known as HPE StoreVirtual, HPE VSA.

HPE StoreVirtual Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE StoreVirtual Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

HPE StoreVirtual Customers

NBrIX, WIND Telecom, Netrics

HPE StoreVirtual Video

HPE StoreVirtual Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SimonBegin
Counsel
User
Mar 1, 2018

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise data and health care. All our data was in a P4500 StoreVirtual, now it is gradually moving to a 4 Node VSA.

• "Data is stored in two different places, leveraging more security and availability. Therefore, network problems are having less affect on iSCSI."
  • "Simplicity of not having to buy FC or FCoE SAN. Instead, we buy servers with their own storage."
  • "Product looks like it is in the end of development."
it_user784008
Senior IT Officer
Dec 25, 2017
Stability and flexibility are they key advantages

What is our primary use case?

Primary usage is just to operate our daily business. Performance, so far so good. No problems at all yet.

What other advice do I have?

When deciding on a vendor to go with we look at * service * stability * performance. Explore it yourself. Talk to your colleagues, talk to the technicians, the experts.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Nutanix, Red Hat and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: January 2021.
456,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user404022
System and Network Administrator at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 2, 2017
Easy updates are possible without taking down storage and VMs

How has it helped my organization?

Input/Output (I/O) has greatly improved. Easy updates without taking down storage and virtual machines (VMs). HA is now a real possibility which I could not fully achieve with normal NAS datastores.

What is most valuable?

Ease of carving out storage. The seamlessness behind the scenes of block management. I just let it do its thing. I don't worry too much about it.

What needs improvement?

Licensing is not exactly straightforward, but not the worst I have ever seen.
it_user506580
Socio at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 4, 2017
Enables us to build highly available shared storage from a standard rack server.

• "Thin provisioning lets us get the most value from the hard drives."
  • "Configuration of application integrated snapshots for VMware is convoluted and it did not work immediately."

What other advice do I have?

Spend some time reading StoreVirtual best practices and consider buying redundant solid switches, like HPE Aruba ProCurve 25xx, or better. Layer-3 is useful, but not mandatory thanks to split network support introduced in VSA 12.5.
it_user685011
CTO at Opus Interactive
Jun 18, 2017
Offers a high end storage solution that I can present to my customers.

• "I guess on the top of the list is certainly ease of use."
  • "it would nice to have deduplication or compression, things that you have in some of the higher end products."

What other advice do I have?

I would say with this particular solution, you're getting a lot when it comes in price point. You're getting a lot of features compared to some of the other products out there.
Eleny Goritsas
Sales Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
May 15, 2017
The biggest thing about it is the LeftHand OS. When you buy either a VSA license or an appliance, all your software's included.

• "StoreVirtual is that it is our software-defined solution and it's everywhere."
  • "f you're doing the 10Gb adapters, SFPs don't come with it, but it doesn't say that. It might say that somewhere else, but it's not clear."

What other advice do I have?

LeftHand OS has been around forever, and it's a proven product, and it's easy to use.
Julio Cesar Bortolotti
Infrastructure Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
May 11, 2017
We use it to replicate the customer's environment, two or three different sites.

• "he interface and the installation makes it easy as it's all in one piece of hardware and it doesn't need to be connected to anything else."
  • "It would be nice if there were more parts available in Brazil and HPE could swap out faulty equipment quicker."
it_user252639
Senior Systems Engineer - Storage and Virtualization at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 10, 2017
We use it in our remote offices and don’t have many issues with it.

What is most valuable?

We originally had LeftHand which are morphing into StoreVirtual. We use it in our remote offices and don’t have many issues with it. We are currently collapsing everything down into a DL380.

The StoreVirtual is rather new for us. We're still in the process of making a homegrown hyper-convergence system with the StoreVirtual product.

The LeftHands themselves have been very stable. We're moving to the VSA on the DL380s.

We aren’t sure of the scalability yet but are aiming to find out soon.

HPE support is very good. I've never had an issue with it. HPE stands…
it_user568146
Systems Engineer at BETA CAE
Mar 16, 2017
The network RAID feature provides maximum availability.

• "The network RAID feature gives us maximum availability, since we cannot afford any downtime, even for a second."
  • "The penalty for the availability is performance. So, you have to balance or choose between the availability and the performance."

What other advice do I have?

If this solution fits your needs and also if your environment is similar to ours, then we would suggest this solution. The factors that we look at while selecting a vendor are that they should be innovative, provide a good support option and have reliable products. I don't want my product to fail.
it_user6387
President at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Dec 9, 2016
Two StoreVirtual VSAs provide redundancy and resilience, 3 would be better.

What other advice do I have?

The management console could be a lot better, as it's got a little clunky feeling. It needs a lot of work on some parts of it, and on the integration with the components that I need inside of the vSphere environment and the KVM environment. It's there, but it's a little antiquated. There are some things coming out that I heard about at HPE Discover that will make my life a lot easier. I'm likely going to upgrade some of it in pieces again, so I don't lose my redundancy. Check it out. The redundancy is there. The real thing is to make sure you know what you're buying. If you buy any VSA by any…
it_user482805
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 9, 2016
It had shelf-level redundancy before others, is intuitive, and you install the fat client on Windows.

What other advice do I have?

The product's fine, but the fact it doesn't have dedicated management is a big thing to me.
Philip Sellers
Solutions Engineer at AmWINS Group, Inc.
Dec 4, 2016
I like that it runs on ProLiant on top of our ESX servers.

What other advice do I have?

StoreVirtual isn't going to be a jack-rabbit - it isn't going to be the best performing SDS you find on the market, but it is most the most affordable and it suits many use cases.
Francis Ma
Lead Storage/Systems Administrator at a marketing services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Oct 5, 2016
We have the ability to migrate data between clusters within the same management group. We've been unable to customize alerting thresholds.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to only use HP StoreVirtual (LeftHand) for small-scale and/or per-project deployments via iSCSI (IPSAN) preferably on dedicated network between the host server and the storage systems.
it_user465036
WIS System Engineer at a paper AND forest products with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 30, 2016
It has Adaptive Optimization which means it is using fast storage (SSD) only for active data.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing it and using it you should read the best practice documents as well as white papers upfront.
it_user288015
Manager Infrastructure Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 22, 2016
It was easy for the server guys to learn to use the console and provision the storage quickly.

What other advice do I have?

I would say, number one spend time to understand the product, to get the proper training or the people involved when you bring it in. Make sure it's the right product for what you're trying to solve. It's not a take care of any type of storage problem, there's no specific use cases that you want that it's good for. Like I said, for the virtual environment, it does great for VMware, Hyper-V, whatever you want to use that type of storage for. Then it's just quick, easy storage if you need it for a file server, it would be good for that. You wouldn't want to use it for a cluster or a high I/O…
it_user406905
Managing Partner at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 16, 2016
The VSA (virtual appliance) version enables us to reuse already installed hardware.

What other advice do I have?

It is the only product that provides High Availability without depending on OS multipath I/O. It looks like a single unit from the outside, thus there is no need for failover/failback because all nodes are active. It is like a metro train compared to a classic diesel train, meaning it has an engine in every car. Adding capacity means adding performance because you are adding controllers, too. We can’t say it is the fastest product on the planet, but it is definitely not slow. High Availability means synchronized replication over the network, adding a little latency but providing High…
it_user471243
IT Manager for Infrastructure at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 1, 2016
It's very solid, and we haven't really had any trouble with it.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think we'd have any good reasons to go elsewhere. In fact we have done that. We were talking to a guy from city of Carson City, and he was having some server issues and so we hooked him up with our vendor, and they took him out of the Dells he had, and gave him some HPs and he's been very happy ever since.
it_user279690
Enterprise Server and Storage Analyst at Sonora Quest Laboratories
May 31, 2016
Using this platform, we were able to provide virtual desktops (VDI) to our end users across WAN, to help alleviate some of the problems that we’ve had with bandwidth.

What other advice do I have?

On the software side of things, we’ve had issues with printers. We have a complicated situation on the user side of things too. We were able to get through the issues and limitations by using PowerShell scripting. Having IT resources in-house is a must for more complicated cases.
it_user419358
ICT System Administrator at a hospitality company with 501-1,000 employees
Apr 28, 2016
While it's a simple system to work with, at the same time it gives a high level of data availability and resilience.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good, solid product. Make sure you get the HP care pack as you need it to access updates. If you can’t fit in your budget a hardware SAN, this is a good alternative.
systemse415893
Systems Engineer (Industrial Automation & Process Control) at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 27, 2016
It allows us the ability to use direct-attached storage of our existing servers for clustered Virtual SAN. The stability needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have more than enough VSA nodes (at least enough to handle a loss of one node and preferably two). Ensure the license supports distributed volumes, rather than single-host volumes.
it_user418359
System Administrator at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Apr 24, 2016
The network RAID is the key feature of the system which, with StoreVirtual, is a build-out of HP servers with software on it.
it_user429105
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Apr 24, 2016
We use the adaptive optimization feature to leverage capacity of traditional spindle-driven hard disks, and the speed and responsiveness of SSDs.

What other advice do I have?

Specify the workloads (availability, size, and performance). Either use the StorageWorks sizing tool (not available to everyone) or the advice of an experienced consultant/reseller to select the model and size the cluster and follow the best practices on implementation.
it_user427356
IT Consultant at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Apr 21, 2016
It gives us the ability to assign Servers/LUNs to a physical/logical site for better access, avoiding high-latency connections.
it_user405015
President at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Mar 31, 2016
We've found that the ability to repurpose existing hardware is the most valuable feature for us.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

It has allowed us to create a SAN from existing hardware without having to purchase any other hardware.

Room for Improvement

Using multiple bonded network interfaces needs work.

Use of Solution

We've used it for five years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

They need to improve its ability to scale with bonded network interfaces.

Technical support has been excellent.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Make sure you license according to your total storage requirements for…
it_user224100
SSIO Infrastructure Engineer at Wyndham Destination Network - RCI Europe
Mar 28, 2016
We like the Multi-site capability for disaster recovery and how it is easy to support.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure you have the right skills – general administration is straight forward but Virtual Connect configuration requires knowledge.
it_user409233
Senior IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 27, 2016
Our resiliency was improved due to features like snapshotting at hardware level.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good SAN solution.
it_user235668
Solutions Architect at Technical & Scientific Application, Inc. (TSA)
Reseller
Mar 27, 2016
The Veeam snapshot integration plus hypervisor integration is valuable. Data compaction in the form or dedupe and compression, while on the roadmap, is long overdue.

What other advice do I have?

The design of the solution is critical. If you undersize the hardware the performance will not be adequate. Also, setting the customer’s expectations is very important. StoreVirtual VSA is relatively slow for big block sequential things like migration and large file or directory copies. It is designed for day-to-day random IOPS with at least 50% read IO, typical of most virtual environments. Talk to someone who knows and has implemented LeftHand and StoreVirtual VSA, if possible. Find an HPE Partner that has deployed this at least 3 or 4 times. If you choose to “roll your own” read the HPE…
it_user410364
Project Leader & Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 27, 2016
Redundancy of the product, especially for remote locations, is the most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

Always follow best practice to be sure to connect in the best way to your VMware or Hyper-V-environment.
it_user410349
Team Co-ordinator Storage, Linux and Monitoring at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 27, 2016
It works great in a stretched datacenter. All data stored across two data centers is available.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

If one datacenter fails, we can continue without failure.

What needs improvement?

It needs to have an SSD solution.

We used LeftHand for more than seven years before it became an HP solution.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We've had no stability issues.

It's better not to have big clusters or volumes, so we've avoided scaling it.

6.5/10 - We have a lot of…
it_user409230
DevOps Lead at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Mar 27, 2016
It needs support for clustering different disk nodes. It offers basic storage services and easy clustering.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the clustering. To be honest, this storage isn’t a particularly a good storage, but it offers basic storage services and easy clustering. I would say that if this storage were a school kid, many other storage solutions would bully it.

What needs improvement?

It needs support for clustering different disk nodes - nodes of different sizes.

We've used it for seven months.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

The failover is pretty slow, especially if you are using VMware storage.

It has scaled to our needs.

How

it_user291912
Service Desk Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 27, 2016
​It allows us to provide simple high availability SAN solutions. The stability isn’t as good as a traditional SAN.
it_user407742
ICT Infrastructure Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 27, 2016
The implementation of StoreVirtual has allowed us to create cross site storage volumes, allowing VM’s to migrate freely between data centers. I find it rather tedious to manage.

What other advice do I have?

It would depend on who your hardware vendor is. As I stated, if you are an HP customer I would recommend using their hardware VSA Peer-Persistence, but if you are a non-HP customer then StoreVirtual is a reasonably good product.
it_user404112
Network Administrator at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 17, 2016
It has allowed us to expand our available ESX storage without replacing arrays or adding hardware.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent alternative to small hardware SANs if you already have the disk space on other servers and adequate network bandwidth for your level of disk activity. I can only comment on use within a vSphere environment, but in my experience, it is simply awesome. I would like to warn that before implementing a VSA, you should thoroughly evaluate your storage and network requirements. Good design of a VSA implementation is just as critical as good design of a hardware SAN.
it_user407199
IT Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 17, 2016
We use two 4530 shelves in a mirrored SAN configuration, and the ability of the system to virtualize the two shelves as a single storage system is very important to us.

What other advice do I have?

For mission critical systems, I would only recommend this product when used in a mirrored configuration. Unlike other SAN systems where virtually everything in the device is redundant, the HP VSA is basically a server equipped with a bunch of hard disks and special software. Only the power supplies are redundant so there are many more single points of failure compared to other SANs. While other SAN vendors put the redundancy in the same device, the redundancy of the HP VSA is provided by virtue of the two independent devices. What is unique is that the two independent devices appear as a…
it_user407154
Infrastructure Engineer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 17, 2016
The GUI for snapshot replication gives you a lot of flexibility to schedule asynchronous replication, bandwidth control, and disk-rebuild resource allotment.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a solid product and you can roll these out like nothing. We have standardized our deployments to use these models. We will be re-evaluating soon and if we do I will miss the easy setup and GUI.
it_user368622
Deputy Director Infrastructure Delivery (acting) at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 17, 2016
One of the valuable features is its integration with Eucalyptus which provides us analysis for ultra-light loads.
it_user365976
IT Manager at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 11, 2016
With the new virtual environment in ConvergedSystem, I don't need to purchase new servers because I can create a new server and continue work.

What other advice do I have?

It fulfills all my requirements, the price is good, and it's scalable.
it_user362343
Imaging Business Technical Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 3, 2016
It's a unique staging environment for us where we mimic a real-life environment on a smaller scale.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to look at your requirements, not just short-terms but also medium-to-long term. Make sure you invest only to the typical three- or five-year window to give yourself the flexibility to move into something else if necessary.
it_user361923
Founder & CEO at Hansa Innovations
Jan 1, 2016
It gives us everything under one umbrella as well as the platform integration at the back, specifically with HP Virtual Connect on the Cloud system platform.

What other advice do I have?

I think the one piece of advice is that HP has an absolutely enormous, very broad, very conclusive, comprehensive infrastructure portfolio. Study that with the HP specialists. Make sure that you find the right insertion point and then be very clear about your notion of growth. Be absolutely precise about what you believe your 12-24 months will look like, how they play out, and keep that vision visible to your HP-partner team up front.