HPE Synergy Overview

HPE Synergy is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Blade Servers. It is most often compared to HPE BladeSystem: HPE Synergy vs HPE BladeSystem

What is HPE Synergy?

HPE Synergy, the first platform built from the ground up for Composable Infrastructure, offers an experience that empowers IT to create and deliver new value instantly and continuously. It is a single infrastructure that reduces operational complexity for traditional workloads and increases operational velocity for the new breed of applications and services. Through a single interface, HPE Synergy composes physical and virtual compute, storage, and fabric pools into any configuration for any application. As an extensible platform, it easily enables a broad range of applications and operational models such as virtualization, hybrid cloud, and DevOps. With HPE Synergy, IT can become not just the internal service provider but the business partner to rapidly launch new applications that become the business.

HPE Synergy Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Synergy Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

HPE Synergy Customers

HudsonAlpha, Virgin Media, EMIS, United

HPE Synergy Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Senior Hardware Engineer
Composable infrastructure allows us to build our own server profiles, then build up the infrastructure that we need from compute modules

What is our primary use case?

We are going to use it for the SQL server and hypervisors, thus for virtualization. From our point of view, it is the compute power that we are really looking to use. So, expanding on what we have been doing with the C7000 series, and moving it into Synergy.

• "It is first in class for composable infrastructure. It has the scalability that meets our future needs and the automation that builds into something that we are really looking forward to using.​"
  • "The composable infrastructure allows us to build our own server profiles, then build up the infrastructure that we need from compute modules."
  • "One of the issues that we that we have been having is with the firmware baselining. So, we need to just making sure that we get that working. However, we are in the early stages. It may well be that we just tweak a few things."

What other advice do I have?

Understand your needs, understand where you are going, and what your future and the future of the industry are. Make sure you invest and research into all the products that are available. Synergy is first in class for composable infrastructure. It has the scalability that meets our future needs and the automation that builds into something that we are really looking forward to using. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Support, reliability, stability and the feature technologies which are included in the product.
Server Technician
We're using it to experiment with shared storage but have had issues installing

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is data storage. Performance is about a seven out of 10.

• "​Because we're using 2012, we're having issues making templates."
    • "I think we were promised a little more than we were given. It's true, they are working very hard to try to help remedy that."

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are * quick support * reliability, of course. I rate this solution a seven out of 10 because I think we were promised a little more than we were given. It's true, they are working very hard to try to help. If you're planning on going with Windows 2016, go ahead, use it. But expect to have some difficulties.
    Learn what your peers think about HPE Synergy. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
    509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Technology Team Lead at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Everything is combined in one chassis - storage, compute, networking; saves space

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case was to familiarize myself with this new HPE product because I know it is a replacement for the old C7000 chassis, so for me it was interesting to see the new features, to know the product as a whole.

• "Everything is combined in one chassis, you have storage, compute, networking. So you save a lot of space in the datacenter."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria for me, when selecting a vendor, is support. I would tell others to give it a try.
      Network Administrator
      Data processing that took us hours now takes tens of minutes

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is for Oracle Servers to store a large database. Right now the performance is good, but we have only had the solution installed in production for two months.

• "Everybody noticed very large improvement in data processing. A lot of activity which took hours now takes, let's say, tens of minutes."
      • "When templates are created, there are some steps where you need to reboot the machines. Being in production, this is not a good idea. For example, if you reconfigure the network, you should not have to reboot the machine. You should just apply the new template and that's it."

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, because of the rebooting issue I mentioned above. It's worth acquiring this if you have a larger datacenter, or if you have a lot of operations being done on a daily basis. These are the main reasons why you should take this approach.
      Solutions Engineer at Data Strategy
      Highly flexible, we're able to provision different applications, add cloud-like speeds on-prem

What is our primary use case?

Internally, we use it for VSAN as well as Docker, with the flexibility to flop between the two solutions at will. We also demonstrate the solution for multiple customers. Performance is fantastic.

• "We're able to provision different applications, different demonstrations, add cloud-like speeds on-prem, which is unheard of in the industry."
      • "Give us the ability to seamlessly migrate from one operating environment to another within minutes, which is invaluable."
      • "This is above and beyond anything else any of the competitors have on the market. If you're researching this, you're going down the right path."

What other advice do I have?

For us, when selecting a vendor, * Simplicity is a big factor. We've got a very broad range of customers, including ourselves. * We're looking at what is fast, what is simple, does performance and value meet those expectations? * We're looking for stuff where there's not a whole lot of, I don't want to say hands-on, but where there's not a lot of need to be nitty-gritty to get things going quickly. * The ability to customize things for our customers' environments is great. Those are all the features we're looking for when we're looking for our partner. We evaluate, obviously, agnostic across…
        IT Architect at Unibase
        I love the satellite architecture, the management rings; well thought out, a mature product from the start

• "I believe, compared to the C7000, it delivers a significant amount of innovation and flexibility,"
        • "I love the satellite architecture for the Virtual Connect. I think this is great. I love the storage drawer, which you can present volumes to any compute node within the same frame."
        • "OneView, as a single point, a single management tool, it makes me delirious. It's really nice."

What other advice do I have?

I just took my certification in Synergy. I was one of the first technicians in Brazil who qualified for Synergy. The main driver for me to take the certification for this platform is because I deem Synergy like an evolutionary platform rather than revolutionary. I think the machine will be the revolution, but Synergy is an evolutionary platform. HPE is really the leading platform. I heard once that HPE is a company that is run by engineers. And engineers are passionate about it. Dell doesn't create things. Dell just manufactures things. That's why I love HPE technology so much, because I…
          Service Manager at Tenne
          We expect to cut our delivery time from about six weeks to just days

What is our primary use case?

We're doing a new product line, we're now doing Big Data. We had the help of HPE on it. They advised we use this platform, so that's why we have it.

How has it helped my organization?

Shorter delivery times. Where we now have a delivery time of about six weeks, we hope to go back to days.

What is most valuable?

It's a bit easier to manage than the C7000s. But we're still finding out how it works, it's all new to us. And we're also using it for new concepts, the old systems we used were ESX. And these systems are used for Mesosphere and bare metal Red Hat deployments.

What needs improvement?

The deployment time of a system through OneView is pretty slow, but apparently that's being addressed in an upcoming update.

For how long have I used the

IT Admin at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
          Easy to swap and move around the datacenter, more versatile than traditional blades

• "They're easy to swap and move around the datacenter, for sure. They don't occupy too much space for what they offer."
          • "It's more composable, you can use storage as well as compute blades. So maybe it's more versatile compared to the traditional blade systems."
          • "The possibility of using storage directly in the frame in order to have bigger storage directly there, and not having an attached storage like SAN or NAS. That would be helpful."
          Delivery Manager at Harlan Italia
          I was able to connect the new computer node to 3PAR without SAN expertise

How has it helped my organization?

This is the first time that we are using Synergy, so we don't yet have the experience to talk about this.

What is most valuable?

It provides the new computer node and connects 3PAR without SAN people to help me.

What needs improvement?

I think that they can improve the update because the update is problematic now. When you want to update the firmware, or when you want to update software on Composer, it takes a lot of time. A lot. For compute node, you need one hour for upgrading firmware. I think that is a big problem.

It became stable the second time. The first time, it wasn't. We had some problems but they're solved, and…
          CEO at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
          Provides a standardized platform which enables us to be more flexible with our applications

What is our primary use case?

The use case is to replace all stakes in all the different kinds of servers. We had some Dells, we had some old HPEs, Generation 6, Generation 7, and so on. We decided to put everything together and create a new datacenter, and move our computing power to a platform that will enable us to be more flexible with our old applications. We are just in the middle of the migration, and the problem is not the new stuff, the problem is to persuade our old stuff that it must perform more than one gigabyte per second. So HPE is helping us to replicate directly through the old datacenter to storage that… more »

• "The benefit is that it's going to be maintained, contrary to what we had last year, when the maintenance went off for the last generation of the servers that we had there."
          • "After delivering the contract, they became a little less active. So, it needs some pushing from my side sometimes."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of our criteria when selecting a vendor they include: * it must be someone known, someone with a presence in the market * someone with a good network of partners that can really help you * a company that is active such that they are not just walking away after you've bought their solution * reliability. There are three or four big winners, and we don't want to change because we have some relationships and some experience from the past. When we run into a problem, and someone helped us, that's something called business credit. Something which goes beyond the money. So far it runs as…
          Chief Technology Officer at vGRID New Zealand
          Provides composable infrastructure and central management.

• "Ability to easily re-utilize parts of the hardware for different purposes."
          • "We'd like to see faster networking in the back-end."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you get a good plan in place. Think about your networking and your storage, so you can get it all configured as one. Use HPE's technical resources to make sure that all of the components are certified to work together.
          BH
          Owner and CEO at Bitcon
          Reseller
          Good solution for customers with many blade enclosures and servers.

• "In the data center, you see customers with a lot of blade enclosures and a lot of servers, and this solution works fine."
            Chief Infrastructure Architect at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
            We can get more things in the individual blades and deal with higher thermals on the CPUs.

• "Changing the form factor in Synergy allows us to have more RAM, which is significantly helpful for us."
            • "One of the things that I would like to see, and could be in their road map, is getting virtual connect to 100 Gig throughput."

What other advice do I have?

Think about where you want to be in five years and choose the products in the Synergy family that will help you get to that point. You have a lot of options and if you just buy what is cost effective today, you may find yourself in trouble five years from now.
            Solution Architect at One enterprise solutions
            Enables you to build, construct, and deconstruct your workload via software.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend learning and reading about it. They should ask for the vendor to come and explain it, or I can explain it, as I am certified to do that. In today's world, there isn't a better solution to create a private cloud for them. Getting this solution is a no brainer.
            Leads IT Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
            Provides flexible and composable hardware.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise getting in touch with a HPE account manager. I think doing direct business with a vendor is the best way of getting the right information. From what we've seen, it is better than working via re-sellers or partners, who are often smaller and only work in one country. It's better to deal directly with the vendor, which is usually the case with large companies. If you are a small company, you may have to go via a re-seller or partner. It depends on the size of your company.
            Solution Architect with 51-200 employees
            MSP
            The density and the flexibility that it provides are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the flexibility of the platform, as far as being able to have that storage drive to be able to do hyper-converge. It should not block your architecture. As you scale it out, you don’t have choke points on the network side, like you do in other platforms.
            Gerente de Ingeniería Pre Venta at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
            It provides VMs and gives me the facility to create backups.

What other advice do I have?

Check all the best practices about the configuration and the connection to the network. I would give that special attention.
            Systems Programmer II at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            It has reduced a lot of our infrastructure down to a few systems.

• "Improved storage, scalability, and ease-of-use."
            • "I'd get the firmware to be a little more secure and a little more streamlined."

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to go through it. Put your hands on it, at somebody else's lab if you can. See if you can get a demo unit. Plug it in and try it.
            Senior Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            With the new servers and technology, we can have more resources, RAM, and CPU.

• "It's a fully integrated solution with OneView."
            • "We had an issue during the initial setup with the 40 Gigabyte cards. They weren’t working, so we had to work really closely with HPE support to get them to work."

What other advice do I have?

It's a new solution, but you are in good hands with HPE support. Use HPE support. They will give you a hand to go through the user experience, setup, and implementation.
            Infrastructure Architect at FMOLHS
            The composable infrastructure give us one place to get alerts, monitor the performance and troubleshoot.

What other advice do I have?

Get hands-on experience with HPE OneView. You need to understand Synergy and what your host will need from the connectivity and I/O perspective. Go for it.
            EG
            Sales Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
            The most important feature is its composability.

What other advice do I have?

Try it and buy it.