Huawei Enterprise Routers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei Enterprise Routers is #5 ranked solution in top Routers and #10 ranked solution in top WAN Edge tools. IT Central Station users give Huawei Enterprise Routers an average rating of 8 out of 10. Huawei Enterprise Routers is most commonly compared to Cisco Enterprise Routers:Huawei Enterprise Routers vs Cisco Enterprise Routers. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 53% of all views.
What is Huawei Enterprise Routers?
Huawei Enterprise Routers AR G3 Series Routers, the AR G3 all-in-one router series integrates multiple services including; routing, switching, 3G, WLAN, voice, and security functions in one device.
Huawei Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide

Download the Huawei Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Huawei Enterprise Routers Customers
Bus Online, VisionChina Media Inc. (VisionChina), China Network Television (CNTV), Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport, ABC, BovenIJ hospital
Huawei Enterprise Routers Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei Enterprise Routers pricing:
  • "These routers are not too expensive."
  • "Huawei offers a cheaper enterprise router solution than Cisco."
  • "There is no licence for this solution, but the solution could be cheaper."
  • "The price of the solution is fair."

Huawei Enterprise Routers Reviews

Udochi Ododo
Manager, Technical Planning and Solutions Design at Galaxy Backbone Ltd
Easy to configure and troubleshoot, but they need more visibility in the licensing model

• "The configuration syntax makes it easy for us to configure the device and perform troubleshooting when needed."
  • "Essentially, they need to open their licensing model such that when a customer buys a device, they have a full view of all of the available licenses for it."

What is our primary use case?

We use these routers to connect our customers.

We use them for client access, and we use them in the network core. We also use them on the edge, for security. We have some of their security products sitting at the edge of our network, and we use Huawei laptops to connect our customers from their premises. Sometimes, they use their own on-premises equipment.

We have the big NE40-X8 and NE5000E routers everywhere in our infrastructure. In addition to the network core, this includes the client edge, client access edge, and we had them at the internet edge.

We also use their Huawei equipment for our long distance DWDM fiber, so we have the Huawei devices to cover different aspects.

How has it helped my organization?

We do not rely solely on Huawei routers. Rather, they make up part of our networking infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Huawei needs to be a bit more open with their licensing model. What I find is that when you buy equipment, you expect that you have a particular feature. By the time you want to use that feature, you realize that you need to acquire a license for it. That is the one thing that I think they need to improve on.

Essentially, they need to open their licensing model such that when a customer buys a device, they have a full view of all of the available licenses for it. It's not at the time of use that the customer will now be informed that they need to purchase an additional license.

I have been working with Huawei Enterprise Routers for more than 10 years.

These routers are stable.

The topic of scalability is tricky because it depends on what the customer is requesting. If you put a device on the network edge, it's practically sized for almost everything that the customer wants to do. This is true except in the case where there is a major change in scope, which may require a corresponding change in device.

Usually, they are scalable, but it means that if you're going to have very big projects then you need to make changes to the equipment that you are using.

Rating the technical support on a scale of one to five, I would score them a three to four. It's not perfect, but it's available. You have to contact them initially, and then they get back to you.

I also have experience with MikroTik, Juniper, and Cisco.

The configuration is not as reduced as it is with Cisco, which makes them quicker to configure.

Personally, I will use MikroTik products because they are the most economical in terms of pricing. They are also the most open in terms of licensing and functionality. However, there are not a lot of people who have the skill set required to maintain the MikroTik environment. This means that when I'm dealing with customers who are not technical, I suggest using a Huawei or a Cisco device. In my own deployment, where I am personally in charge of deployment, I'll use a MikroTik device.

Based on my experience, the initial setup is straightforward. There's no challenge with deployment. The length of time required depends on which particular model you are working with because they don't all take the same amount of time.

For example, if you're implementing and configuring the network core, it is not the same scope as configuring a client.

These routers are not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I like to use this product and most of our deployments are now products from Huawei. We don't have any problems with these routers.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Mahmoud Ghonem
Head Of Architecture Department at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Good connection but lacks scaling capabilities and technical support

• "When we started, the connection was amazing for the 100G between the switches and the co-switch. What the students typically use for school is a maximum is 40 so they now have faster technology."
  • "In my country we don't have Huawei technology, we only have Huawei routers for ISP. There is no agent for Huawei in Egypt."

What is most valuable?

When we started, the connection was amazing for the 100G between the switches and the co-switch. What the students typically use for school is a maximum is 40 so they now have faster technology.

What needs improvement?

We've only been testing the solution for a month and our main concern is stability. We wanted to see if it's as stable as, for example, Cisco. So far, that has not been the case. The router recently failed on us, and we had to end the test.

In the end, the router was incompatible with the bundles.

It's difficult to get the scalability right.

There's a gap between their online support and documentation.

Currently, we've been testing the solution. We've been testing it for one month now.

The stability ended up not being what we hoped, therefore, we reverted back to Cisco routers, which are much more stable.

The scaling wasn't a smooth experience at all. If you need to scale the product, you'll run into issues.

We had about 2,000 users on the solution before we decided to switch to Cisco.

In Egypt, there is no Huawei in the local market, and therefore there isn't any support.  You can only go through an Independent Service Provider. When you have issues, you need to connect to and ISP, and that can sometimes be difficult.

We're a firm that handles multiple schools around the Middle East. Most of the schools use Cisco Solutions and FortiGate as a firewall. Therefore, we often use a variety of products, not just Huawei.

The price of the product is good and is quite a bit less than Cisco. I don't have exact pricing, however.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply a customer.

While we've tried the solution for a month, we're finding the stability isn't where we need it to be. Cisco is much more stable.

I would recommend the solution to others as it does offer good pricing. However, you need to have good support in your area. If you have a good technical person who can help you set up your network accurately and have access to good support, it might work out fine.

You also have to be careful not to overwhelm the router with users due to scalability issues. We have a school in the Gulf doing amazing however the school only needs to handle around 300 users we never hit full capacity in the first year of using it. We'll see if the hardware acts up after another year and possibly more users.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a six. My experience is slightly biased, as we don't have support in my country, so when we run into issues we tend to be on our own. However, if stability, support, and market availability come together, it has the potential to be a great product.

Learn what your peers think about Huawei Enterprise Routers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RL
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good performance and easy to manage our VPN connections from headquarters to branch offices

• "The most valuable features for us are NAT, ATS, server capabilities, VPN tunneling, and management."
  • "In the next release of this solution, I would like to see better bandwidth management, more granular web filtering, and portal authentication."

What is our primary use case?

We use our Huawei routers as a gateway to the internet, or for VPN connections from our head office to multiple branches.

What is most valuable?

The GUI works well in this technology.

What needs improvement?

Additional security enhancement would make this solution better.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see better bandwidth management, more granular web filtering, and portal authentication.

We have been using Huawei Enterprise Routers for three to four years.

Based on my experience of about four years, I think that Huawei Enterprise Routers are pretty stable.

I think that scalability is okay.

We have three to four people who work with this product in our company. We have managers, a network architect for the design based on what the customer wants, network engineers for the deployment, and after-sales support.

We handle the level one and level two support for our customers.

For complex support that cannot be handled by the local engineers, Huawei provides technical assistance.

We sell Cisco routers in addition to Huawei. The Huawei routers sell in higher volumes because the price is much cheaper than Cisco.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the environment. We look at what the client needs in terms of their primary requirements and what the router will be used for. It may be for an internet connection or using a VPN to connect the head office to multiple branches. We have to set the IP range and the DHCP server. We also have to set up the IP range to be allowed for the subnet, along with what IP range can be used to access the internet, or what IPs should be blocked from services.

For a simple deployment, it may take one or two hours, whereas a more complex deployment may take four to eight hours.

The deployment requires at least one person, but for the VPN connection, it will require at least two for the testing. In terms of managing this solution, it depends on how many routers are on the North side of the network operation center.

We provide training and certification to set up the router. Once it is deployed, we make sure that it is 100% working. Aside from the training, we provide a deployment manual that serves as a guide if there is ever a complex setup. It is something that engineers can follow to configure it.

Huawei offers a cheaper enterprise router solution than Cisco.

When comparing Huawei to Cisco, the performance and the configuration are similar. The appliances have similar specifications, and the support is similar as well.

What other advice do I have?

Huawei Enterprise Routers perform well but there is always room for improvement.

RK
M. I. S. Manager at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Integrates well, scalable, and stable

What is our primary use case?

I used the solution for those who connect to it to have internet access.

What is most valuable?

I have been able to connect the solution to many platforms such as Windows, Apple, and Android.

I have been using the solution for two months.

I have found the solution to be stable.

I have four users using the solution and it has worked well in terms of scalability. I have connected up to eight devices at a time and it has been operating well.

I have not had any issues that I would need to have contacted the support.

Which solution did I use

What is our primary use case?

I used the solution for those who connect to it to have internet access.

What is most valuable?

I have been using the solution for two months.

I have found the solution to be stable.

I have not had any issues that I would need to have contacted the support.

I have used D-Link in the past.

The installation was easy, you put the SIM card in and connect.

I installed the solution myself and it only takes approximately five min.

There is no licence for this solution, but the solution could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I am going to continue using the solution in the future, it has been working good for me.

I rate Huawei Enterprise Routers a nine out of ten.

Bassem Edward
IT Technical Support Manager at kiriazi
Unstable, needs frequent reconfiguring, but the price is fair

What is most valuable?

Overall we have found the solution to be satisfactory.

What needs improvement?

We have found we have to restart the routers or reconfigured them a lot of the time, this issue should improve. The quality of the hardware needs to be more durable.

I have been using the solution for approximately three years.

There needs to be an improvement in the area of stability with this solution.

The scalability could be better.

We have a team of two engineers that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

What is most valuable?

Overall we have found the solution to be satisfactory.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for approximately three years.

There needs to be an improvement in the area of stability with this solution.

The scalability could be better.

The price of the solution is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they have the budget for it.

I rate Huawei Enterprise Routers a five out of ten.