Huawei Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei Ethernet Switches is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to H3C Ethernet Switches: Huawei Ethernet Switches vs H3C Ethernet Switches

What is Huawei Ethernet Switches?
Huawei SOHO & SMB Switches, an Energy-saving Ethernet access switches with service features that are easy to install and maintain. It has a S1700 Series Enterprise Switches that caters from small- to medium-sized businesses and Internet cafes.
Huawei Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Huawei Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Huawei Ethernet Switches Customers
Newcastle University, Jingyang District of Deyang City in Sichuan Province, Southwest China, Glasgow Rangers Soccer Team, RMIT, Insurance Industry Association of Zhejiang Province, China, APT Satellite Holdings Limited (APT)
Huawei Ethernet Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "Huawei provides much better performance for the same price, even when taking into account very aggressive commercial policies."
  • "Huawei comes with a lot of features out of the box that you have to pay extra for with other products. They do charge extra in the licensing for certain additional features."
  • "The exact pricing varies based on how many units you purchase."
  • "The product is competitively priced in its market."

Huawei Ethernet Switches Reviews

AB
Director at Omnium Technologique (OMTEQ)
Good pricing and better performance than the competition

• "So far, so good when it comes to stability."
  • "We would like to see additional backup solutions, since we have several degrees of backup."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in-house. The network we have is not a very large one and we have in the vicinity of 300 terminals. So, it is used with IP telephony.

We also use the solution for all the classic interactions between the terminals and memories, which is how these switches are classically used. This is different than the cases that we study and we tell our clients what to do since we are an engineering consultancy. So, we work with the government building for more than 3,000 access points. This would involve hospitals with 2,000 or more access points in respect of medical energy. We are currently working on towers building and are endeavoring to move into a passive optical local area network.

The switches will be replaced by splitters. This is a completely optical device by which the switch is at the office or the room end. I foresee this as the future, in which the entire layer of switches will disappear. I don't know if you are up to speed on the current trends, but these concern passive optical local area networks in which all the intelligent switching is in the main room with the big OLTs. In this case we are splitting an optical, meaning the fiber will go to the room or even to the device, not to the office. This will depend on whether the device has an optical interface.

So, we are making strides and advising our customers, which is not easy.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution did improve our organization. For example, we had an application, which is a building beam for building information modeling. This involved tremendous number crunching and many files involving the building engineering structure. We were suffering from latency from the network speed and had to make servers especially for this application. These servers are virtualized. Of course, the speed of the switches allowed us to have a stable installation especially for this application. We are talking about a major application, involving a software collaborative work such as Autodesk Revit.

We are now discovering these and are at ease with this new installation. We now feel at ease when it comes to working on this.

What needs improvement?

The price should be lowered as concerns flash backup. This would enable us to get rid of all of the mechanical, hard disks, as we currently have a mixture of flash and classic hard disks. I feel that technology is progressing fast enough and I believe that in the near future, within the next 12 months, we'll be able to add all flash backup systems to our solution. As for the switches, I think they will be all right for some time to come. If the network were to  improve sufficiently, we would be able to make more use of the cloud, even as concerns the telephone. However, this is not the case at present.

It is difficult for me to point to other areas needing improvement as we have been using the technology for a relatively short period, only around five months, and I am trying to digest what we have. My network engineers would be in a better position to address this issue. Also while our installation is not that large, we are working on huge projects. These are new to Morocco, consisting of two or three years, which is not that much.

This said, we would like to see additional backup solutions, since we have several degrees of backup. For the moment, the final one involves magnetic tapes, which is an IBM solution. We would like to take the thread of these magnetic tapes and have Huawei help us with strategic backup. One of the reasons we backup our system is for fear of ransomware, but we are required to backup everything by the end of each day or at the close of each week. It would be nice to see other solutions which would allow this, as I am not satisfied with the current one involving the use of magnetic tape.

I am not certain that using the cloud is a solution for the time being in Morocco. We are looking with Huawei at the possibility of using hardware. This is a point of concern.

Moreover, we would like to see more security applications. We have network security, such as Fortinet and Fortigate, but we would like to see Huawei come out with its own solution. Maybe this already exists but, if so, it is not yet very well known.

We are satisfied with the switches and, in our approximately six months experience, have not encountered problems. We have not had stoppages or buffer memory. What I would like to see is a complete solution in which the network security is integrated with the switching as well. This way, we could have a single source for the network and not need to rely on Fortinet and Fortigate.

As far as wifi access is concerned, we do have a system, I believe called HP Aruba, but it is old. It would be nice to see this integrated. We are not looking to change things in the short term, but to undertake a six to ten month overhaul involving the wifi and integration of 5G and IOT into our network.

We have been using Huawei Ethernet Switches for around five or six months. It's a new experience for us.

So far, so good when it comes to stability. In the six months which have transpired since using the solution we have yet to encounter any problems. With Alcatel we encountered several problems over the same period. These were solved with internal memory of switches. With Dell we had to restart it to clean the buffers. Since we started using Huawei Ethernet Switches we have not even had occasion to call support. This is in contrast to our experience with Alcatel, although I must point out that they solved our issues rapidly.

The support is there and I did not have any problems with it. They intervene very quickly when the backup is there. They answer all questions and the online help line is efficient. It's very good. Huawei also has hundreds of engineers, including Chinese and Moroccan. So, it is well established, which is not the case with others. We have been working for many years with big telephone and communication companies and recently, about three years ago, they got involved in business applications. They have a policy, which is not in place from the beginning. They started to attack the business applications. They had the switches on the floor. I am talking about the Datacom, big structures. They then extended it with a great team. I believe they have involvement in 5G in Morocco, which will be operational by the end of the year, perhaps sooner. They are well established in this country.

There was a need for us to upgrade our network to one gigabit and to enable fiber channel capabilities. We contemplated all the options available in Morocco, meaning Alcatel, HP, Huawei and several others, all of the ones utilizing Oracle. In the past we made use of Avaya, as we are an engineering consultancy, meaning we deal with big offices and hospitals. So, we know about these things.

We considered all the capabilities of these switches, as well as the price and performance. We came to the realization that Huawei provides much better performance for the same price, even when taking into account very aggressive commercial policies. The prices were lower by 20 or 30 percent with more powerful features. Very importantly, we were able to to take out a five-year guarantee, with a four-year extension option. We are talking only about switches, not servers. In contrast, the other solutions only offered one to two years tops.

The deployment took some time and I would have liked it to be faster. It took a couple of weeks or so.

When it came to the initial setup I had my engineers do all the work. It took us a couple of months to decide on the configuration and to choose the switches.

This said, I would have to consult with our network engineers to properly address the initial installation. It is they who provided me with three detailed reports about the solution and its capacity.

I do know that we conducted meetings with HP, Huawei and Alcatel. While I don't know what the future of switching holds for the latter I can say that Alcatel is alright. With this company we had some installation done of high end products for a hotel.

The price is the best, 20 percent cheaper than apple to apple and with an extended warranty.

You should know that we also contemplated the Cisco Suite, but found it to be excessively expensive. It is simply overpriced. Even as Cisco is very established in Morocco, big telecom companies are going the route of Huawei and Nokia. Cisco provides its own passive optical solution. We are contemplating the solutions offered by IBM, Nokia, Cisco and Huawei and our focus is on big installations campus-wise and on big hotels. We are trying to introduce the passive optical technologies, with all the advantages they offer.

What other advice do I have?

We are dealing with all these things in our office. We now have ease when it comes to back-up. We have a very fast spotted system with hard disk storage of 36 terabytes, meaning it is a mixed hybrid which combines flash disks and classic CDs. I am talking about the interface. The old 32 terabyte flash is extremely expensive. We are a mid-sized company, not very big. So our approach is to have this hybrid flash storage system, which allows us considerable speed but with a reasonable price.

As mentioned, our solution is a hybrid. We have certain applications in the cloud, such as office 365. We have other applications, such as engineering software. We also have it in private cloud. For the time being we have a mixed solution as we cannot, at present, put everything in the cloud. In Morocco, the internet connection speed is good but it can be better, since we have huge files with which we must work interactively.

So, sometimes we work on-site and then the file will be stored in the cloud, but all the number crunching is used in working stations on the site, not PCs.

Internally there are around 70 users making use of the solution in our organization and externally around 40 engineers and technicians who are connected to our network country-wide. We even have our mailing system in-house. We use an English-based electronic document, such as PDF, which we have in the cloud. For the moment, our solution is a hybrid between the scientific and office application.

We are using the solution daily and it comprises our entire network, all our work. If it stops we lose money. We use it all the time. Of course, we have the standby generator and all the redundancy of static uninterruptible power supplies, since a single hour of stoppage would equal thousands of euros lost. We are very careful about that. We have one or two configured switches so we can just plug it in and continue to work. We have yet to encounter this problem.

My advice to others who are considering implementing the solution is to negotiate aggressively. Huawei is very good at negotiating, but it is important for the consumer to know the nuts and bolts of the proposal and to derive from it the maximum. Someone with technical knowledge can get many more concessions from Huawei than one without.

I rate Huawei Ethernet Switches as an eight out of ten, as nothing is perfect. This is because the deployment took some time and I would have liked it to be faster.

AM
Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Has valuable spanning tree protocol and routing features but they should improve the knowledge base library

• "When you buy a switch from Huawei, the switches come along with a lot of features that you do not need to pay extra money for."
  • "The technical support is a bit difficult to work with if you don't speak Mandarin."
  • "The knowledge base needs to be improved and expanded."
  • "It could potentially be difficult to get parts depending on where you live."

What is our primary use case?

For my own use case, I am a reseller for the switches. For my clients' use case, it is using the products as switches to build out their network connections.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features will be those features that are really considered as basic features of this type of switch. That includes things such as spanning tree protocol, Huawei's proprietary intelligent stacking called iStack, and the routing features that come along with the switch software package.

Because Huawei does not charge any license fee on extra features I can repackage it. When you buy a switch from Huawei, the switches come along with a lot of features that you do not need to pay extra money for but you can use these features to build out similarly to something like Cisco switches. There are some features that it does not include, so you have to pay some extra license fee to enable those capabilities.

What needs improvement?

To improve the ethernet switches, I think first of all that Huawei should improve their knowledge base library. When people like me are trying to look for documents to study about the product to find a solution, sometimes the particular information I am looking for is quite hard to find. It should be an easy task to find a suitable document as a reference. By comparison, it is very easy to locate the information that you need for the Cisco systems. I just type the name of any features or any questions I might have into Google and I can find what I need in a matter of minutes. With Huawei, it is not that simple.

I think the support also needs to be improved. Right now you have to be able to speak Mandarin in order to communicate with those technical experts and express your problem to make them understand what it is. When they know they can give you a solution to solve your problem, and the support is good in that way it is good. But they need more support for other languages. When I work with Cisco, for example, you can generally speak in English. I am not saying that the support people at Huawei do not know how to communicate in English at all, but find it quite difficult to communicate well with them because they have a very heavy Mandarin accent when speaking in English. It is better to just speak with them in mandarin if you can.

Because I work only so often with the Huawei brand, I think these might be the only suggestions I have. I spent a long time with the technology but have not gotten very deeply into discovering the smaller details of Huawei switches until recent years.

I have been using the product for three years.

The stability of the brand is constantly getting better and has improved over time. Early on, I actually was working with this brand and have experience with it from seven or eight years ago for a short period of time. As I worked with it, I found it was sometimes hard to explain to the customer when the system became unstable. But Huawei seems to have resolved these issues now.

In terms of scalability, Huawei is catching up to the big brothers in networking. For example, it is doing more to compete with Cisco, i-Tree or Brocade switches. Their scalability is quite good and sometimes they develop proprietary technology similar to other brands, like borrowing from Cisco. But some people say that the brand is just trying to copycat features that already exist in other brands. To copy is good sometimes, but to develop their own new technology is more important than copying something from other companies. It is not quite best practices to steal some technology and ideas from other companies.

I would say that the technical support responds quite well. Because we are in the same time zone, it is quite easy to find people for troubleshooting or support. Just in case they cannot solve my problem, they can look for other knowledgeable resources within the same time zone who can address the issue. Some other brands, like Cisco, will usually pass the case to another time zone. They work in a protocol which some people call "follow the sun." So sometimes when people are working in one time-zone and they pass the case to people in another time zone, there might be some problem or some information that gets lost about the dialogue explaining the issue. When that happens, you have to repeat the questions and dialogue and it can take the people responding some time to pick up what had already been explained. So it wastes time at the end of the day.

I believe that the question about setup complexity really depends on which models of the switches are being used. For the middle to low-end switches, it is quite intuitive. But for higher-end models, you must have experience in understanding not only Huawei technology but should also have a very clear concept of what you want to accomplish in networking. So, configuration-wise, I do not personally find any difficulties in configuring Huawei switches provided that I find the configuration guide and read it briefly before I put in any commands into the switch. However, less experienced users could potentially have problems.

Huawei comes with a lot of features out of the box that you have to pay extra for with other products. They do charge extra in the licensing for certain other features, however, so some of those capabilities are an additional charge.

I have used quite a few ethernet switches. I have mostly been involved with Cisco, Huawei, and Meraki and I primarily use these three brands. It is not really a matter of choosing only Huawei as a solution in my situation. As a reseller, I need more than one option to satisfy client needs.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give people who are considering this product as their switching solution is that if you are looking to satisfy the needs of a small scale project and want a pretty good price, then you might go for it. But you might be sacrificing security or risking involvement in a politically unstable situation. China and the U.S. are very tense with their political positions at the moment. They are facing some sort of trade war. If you need some components to produce or manufacture a product like a Huawei switch it is possibly going to be a tense situation. The chips are an important and really a vital component to complete development and upgrades or maintenance. Without that availability, the switch cannot work properly if something happens. So security and material swapping are the major issues to consider as a potential risk of adopting the product.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the Huawei ethernet switches as a five. I rate it a five, or really average, compared with a product like Cisco switches. Cisco switches really rate something more like an eight or eight-and-a-half.

Learn what your peers think about Huawei Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AO
Head IT Operations at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Good pricing and operates well with Cisco, but needs more documentation

• "Pricing-wise, Huawei is quite good."
  • "There needs to be more documentation. If they opened up a bit and shared more information and maybe allowed for YouTube videos about their products and how to work them, it would benefit the users quite a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We utilize the solution for asset layers and then also for the core. The ones around the core have been failing, and I've been replacing them as they fail with Cisco replacements.

What is most valuable?

The solution easily integrates and operates well with Cisco.

Pricing-wise, Huawei is quite good.

What needs improvement?

I've found that the Huawei switches around the core fail, or at least the 9300 series do. I've had to move to Cisco. They tend to freeze and cause problems on my network, so I've needed to replace them with a bigger Cisco switch that can handle the network more effectively.

With Cisco, there are a few particular routine protocols that are not supported on Huawei. Cisco has these proprietary routine protocols which they try to maintain. Since we have the two switches integrated together, it would be helpful if Huawei could offer a more open routine protocol that can be standardized, and they should offer the same protocols that are standard on Cisco on their service as well so that the switches can match up a bit more elegantly. It would be great if the two solutions could somehow actively collaborate a bit more together.

The solution needs to provide a lot more availability. There needs to be more information on the internet to help people more easily configure the solution, etc. Right now, if you need to know something or need to find something, you have to go directly to Huawei.

I've used the solution for over five years now.

The solution isn't completely stable. There are some glitches, but for the assets there, it doesn't cause me any real issues.

The solution is scalable, but it really depends on what you buy. The first core switch I bought was very scalable because they have almost eight channels and I could scale everything so easily. You can buy an appropriate switch to accommodate future groups that you can align, to gather to the core switches. Even if you don't make provisions for it you can actually scale, but it's better to plan ahead and know what you need.

We've reached out to technical support and have occasionally come across language barriers. Sometimes the person speaks English, and other times it's Chinese with English as a second language, and it can be difficult to converse and to describe the issues we are having. It would be better if they had more staff on hand that were able to communicate in English a bit better, but the help itself isn't too bad.

I currently also use Cisco switches. In fact, I'm slowly, as Huawei switches fail, subbing in Cisco switches. Currently, our network has both integrating with each other and working together. We're phasing out Huawei and we won't be using them anymore.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward if you are well trained on the solution. However, if you are not trained, then it may be more complex.

If you are trained, it's as simple. It just has a few different commands. With training, it's no problem.

I didn't directly handle the implementation myself. However, my team did.

What other advice do I have?

We are both an installer and considering becoming a Huawei partner.

About five years ago I began working with Huawei, and I decided then whenever they failed, I'd just replace the old ones with Cisco. However, after five years, many are still working, so we have a hybrid system where we use both Huawei and Cisco switches. However, whenever they do fail, I replace them with Cisco, so there may come a time int eh future where I will no longer be working with them and will have completely switched over to Cisco.

I don't have the exact version number, but I'm dealing with the 9300 core switch.

Although we are currently in the process of phasing out the Huawei switches in favour of Cisco, I'd still recommend the solution.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

MuhittinAkar
Network Security Expert at Seçil Kauçuk
Easy to use and manage, and integrates well with other solutions

• "Huawei Ethernet switches are easy to use and can be managed using either the GUI or via the command-line."
  • "One of the problems with Huawei is that when you receive a product quote from one of the vendors, you cannot get prices from the other ones because they register your request with Huawei."

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei Ethernet Switches as part of our network.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented 10G and Layer 3 supported switches with a lower cost. Our network connection our network application started to work faster. Also we stacked the switches and our availability increased.

What is most valuable?

Huawei Ethernet switches are easy to use and can be managed using either the GUI or via the command-line.

This solution integrates well with products from other vendors, such as Cisco.

What needs improvement?

We have a purchasing procedure. It says that if we want to buy a specific product or service we should get quotes from at least three companies. If we cannot get more than one quote we should find a similar product or service from a different vendor.

We had this issue last year. We needed 15 access points and we wanted to buy Huawei access points because our other devices were Huawei. I wanted a quote from three Huawei partner but only one of them sent the quote. Other partners said that Huawei did not send any quote
information because they send quote only one partner. We talked to Huawei regional sales manager but they said they can not do anything for this situation.

Because of this situation, I searched for the products of other vendors. Aruba sent three quotes from its different partners and their quotes were similar. And also they were cheaper than Huawei. Because of the cost factor, our purchasing department preferred to buy Aruba access points.

We had the same issue for the switches at around the end of 2019. Because I don't have time to search other vendors we canceled the purchasing and our budget for switches.

Now I don't have any spare products and I will be trouble if one of my switches fails.

I have been using Huawei Ethernet Switches for about three years.

The stability of these switches is good. They are very durable because one of the cooling fans in our data center failed and this solution was still working at about 50 degrees Celcius (122 degrees Fahrenheit). There was some latency but it was still working.

You can scale up this solution very easily. If you have enough ports at your core switch or main switch, then you can attach other switches. You have to write a couple of simple commands and then add the other switches.

There are 24 switches with about 400 devices and 200 users connected to them.

Local support is available in Turkey from two or three different partners. However, we rarely ask for support from Huawei because when you set up a deice it works properly and we rarely need to change anything. If you add a new device, such as an access point, then you may need to configure some ports but it is very rare. It happens two or three times a year in our organization.

Prior to this solution, I was using devices by Cisco. They are very nice but they are also very expensive. The cost is the reason that we switched.

Deploying this solution is easy. You just connect the cables.

One person is enough to maintain our 24 switches.

Huawei Ethernet switches have a price advantage over other solutions. You can buy about four Huawei switches for the price of one Cisco switch.

The exact pricing varies based on how many units you purchase. For example, if you buy one then it is expensive, but if you buy ten or more then there is a discount. I would expect the same would apply to larger purchases, such as a bulk discount for buying 100 or more units.

We also looked at network solutions by Aruba and HP. Our Huawei warranty will expire in 2023 and we may change the product, but we do not yet know. Before that time we will test other devices and decide whether or not to stay with Huawei. Replacing the switches would not be a problem for us.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very nice device and I recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
KC
Information Security Manager at a recruiting/HR firm with 201-500 employees
Well-priced but out-dated and not scalable

• "If you're a small one-on-one organization, then cost-effective-wise, I would recommend it."
  • "It is not easy to use if you need to monitor, patch or update. It needs to be configured by a network specialist because it doesn't have an overall central monitoring tool or anything like that. I'd say no ease of use."

What is our primary use case?

At the moment we are putting in a virtual Juniper SRX within our network to replace the Huawei points in our data centers, and we're upgrading our site infrastructure, switches and routers to Junipers. We are going from Huawei, which we haven't been happy with because they're not within our security listings and need updating, to Juniper switches and routers and Sophos access points. The routers and switches that we're replacing with the Junipers and the Sophos access points are within our sites to run the wifi access points.

What is most valuable?

At the time, for our sized organization, they were cost-effective, fit for purpose, and risk assessed to go in accordingly because they were cheap, and they have lasted, but now it doesn't give us the ability to do what we need because we've grown exponentially in the last eight or nine years.

The one thing is those products were cost effective, and for what they did, their costing is a lot cheaper than any Juniper or any other product out there. But if you need scalability, normal monitoring tools, backup and switches, they're not going to be the product for a team.

What needs improvement?

They're not easy to monitor or bring in and feed and make sure that all our networks are running correctly. We are predominantly in regional Australia, which means that we have a lot of remote usages and we're not getting the ability to do the next level of IT needed to make sure that I can monitor and make sure that the network is stable with the Huawei stuff. If anything goes wrong, I haven't been able to patch them because they're end of license and you can't patch them any more. Their security is not within our standards.

Huawei's switches could be more secure, more monitorable, and better scalable but that's because they're so old. They're not fit for our purpose under our government contracts any more. We're not allowed to use any Huawei products.

We have been using Huawei switches for about eight years. They are now end of life, out of license, and out of warranty. I've inherited a very old infrastructure that I'm currently upgrading. I've even got an old Huawei 1960 voiceover IP component, but that's another story.

In terms of scalability, eight or so years ago, there would have been less than 200 staff using it compared to the 420 at the moment.

The initial setup was much like any switch or router. It wasn't a problem at the time, and they were able to be configured. I'm talking eight-plus years ago, though. I haven't put one in for a very long time.

To install across 80 sites took about six weeks.

Because we had to open up sites over a six to eight week period, we outsourced a lot of the work to local contractors through the different areas and locations.

It was a one-off licensing for Huawei that wasn't upgraded so there's no ability now to configure our upgrade. We purchased the hardware with the inbuilt license eight years ago and we haven't been charged for any licensing since then.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Huawei Ethernet Switches a four.

I do not recommend this solution on the basis of scalability, monitoring and security.

It is not easy to use if you need to monitor, patch or update. It needs to be configured by a network specialist because it doesn't have an overall central monitoring tool or anything like that. I'd say no ease of use. If you're a small one-on-one organization, then cost-effective-wise, I would recommend it. But in a company our size, it's not scalable.

SS
Network Architect & Pre-Sales Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Although it is less touted in the marketplace, this solution competes with the best brands head on

• "This product is competitive technically with the best products in the class."
  • "The technical support is technically savvy, but the communication via English is not so easy."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Huawei reseller, so I supply these switches to my customers. The use case is just for general corporate office connectivity from the desktops through to the data center.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is the most valuable depends on who the customer is. The power of the Ethernet is important for us and for our clients. The multi-gig options are important for us all. All the routing protocols that they have are important for us. The level of importance of each of these features depends on the specific business requirements for a specific company.

What needs improvement?

I do not know if I can think of a product feature that really needs to be improved. Especially right now, the most important thing for customers is cost and Huawei does have a very good price point. They are very competitive from a cost perspective. From a technology perspective and in my economic environment with my customers, Huawei has everything that I and the customers need.

If I have one potential issue, it is that the technical support does not understand English so well. The issue is just that they should understand and speak English pretty well to provide proper technical support and solutions.

I have been using Huawei switches for about a year now.

Huawei switches are stable products.

The scalability of the product is excellent. We do not have any real problems with the product and we are able to scale really well. I am talking about both upward scaling and linear scaling. Huawei does what it does very well.

Being totally honest, we do have a problem with technical support and language. The technical support people are supposed to be able to understand and reply in English. Sometimes we just do not understand what they are saying or they do not understand us. So getting support from Huawei can be a little bit tricky.

I am talking about the support teams specifically — like if I phone the service desk. Otherwise, the support is good. Their swapping process is fine. The way they release the software upgrades is all fine. They just need to be able to communicate better.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is not an issue.

The Huawei Ethernet Switching products are reasonably priced and competitive in the marketplace.

What other advice do I have?

I use the product, so I definitely think that I can recommend Huawei as a very good alternative to other highly-praised brands. The world does not have to just use Cisco. Huawei is very cost-effective. They have all the features. I would not have a problem recommending it to anybody.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight-out-of-ten.

HY
Founding Partner at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Inexpensive, good documentation and very good technical support

• "They have the ability, since they have a very big R&D team, to create an upgrade for any feature or patch very easily."
  • "The interoperability of the devices, in general, on the Huawei switches is not good and is known to be not good. Maybe they can improve this a bit."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is an IoT router but we primarily use it as the layer for industrial switches for CCTV video transmission.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very inexpensive. The documentation is very good.

Technical support is also very good.

What needs improvement?

Troubleshooting documentation should be improved.

In terms of being able to patch quickly, if you have both a quality device, a quality switch that has a specific capability, Huawei won't necessarily have the same capability until a patch is created for it.

I've been using the solution for approximately one year.

I'm satisfied with the stability of their equipment. There are no crashes, unexpected events, outages, or reboots.

We've never tried to scale the solution, so I can't speak to how scalable it is. We do have a client with 1,000-5,000 employees.

We've been satisfied with the level of technical support we've received from the solution. We've used technical support a lot, and it's one of the main advantages of the solution overall.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's very easy. Initially, the implementation took longer than we thought. We set it up over a period of two or three weeks.

We deployed the solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

When compared to Cisco switches, the Huawei switches are a bit lower in quality. They have similar properties that the Cisco switches have. Often Huawei brings in the features to match the competition later, and, in general, the overall quality a bit lower. Sometimes, because of this, you might have some unexpected results. The documentation is generally good, but troubleshooting documents for some unusual bugs or glitches are never created.

I generally recommend Huawei switches because although they are lower quality, they are cheaper than other switches. If you compare the price to quality ratio, it's pretty good, which is why we bought them.

Initially, many users are tempted by the idea of getting something that's that cheap. I recommend users to explore and investigate how they will use the switches and what they will purchase. Huawei is both good and not good. It depends on how you look at. If you really want to go with Huawei, then just be aware that Huawei has interoperability problems with many other vendors. In this case, I'd recommend going with all Huawei products to avoid issues.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

JI
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers good technical documentation and is durable and stable

• "The technical documentation available is very good. The technical support for the customer is also good - I would give it 8 out of 10."
  • "The availability and the speed of the firmware updates are the only things wrong with Huawei. There are some vulnerabilities on the hardware."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is more appropriate for small businesses than bigger ones, and is for internal and distribution switches, as well as for using power apps.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature that our clients look for in this solution is that it will perform how it says it will perform for the best price and that it will provide good support.

In terms of communication, implementation, and permissioning, we have on-hand implementation documents on the website that you can download if you want some second project in certain kinds of scenarios. Huawei has the advantages here, because with Cisco I can not find it. You have to do it yourself.

Durability is fine. The performance is fine compared with other products

What needs improvement?

From the customer's perspective, they usually don't care about certain disadvantages because as a technician I am the one who deploys and configures the planning and communication for them. In my opinion, most of the basic configurations of the switches are all the same.

In terms of Huawei specifically, the availability and the speed of the firmware updates are the only things wrong with Huawei. There are some vulnerabilities on the hardware. Cisco is good with releasing the patches. For Huawei, this aspect is problematic.

I would like to see performance improved, including wi-fi flexibility.

We have been working with Huawei Ethernet Switches for about four or five years. Our customers are using it.

Our clients are mixed - small, medium and large companies.

In terms of stability, I think it is a stable product. They are six years old. I haven't seen any hardware failure.

Their scalability is good. All the competition like Huawei or Cisco have their own scalability design. You can expand it.

The initial setup is ok. I think they're all the same common lines, they're all standard configuration. Everything's fine. For me, on the technical side, I didn't find any disadvantages.

The deployment time depends on the size, plan and design of the deployment.

We usually deploy it ourselves for the customer and they will call us if anything happens.

What other advice do I have?

I think Cisco has the advantage in terms of durability because they have been in existence for more than 20 years, whereas Huawei just started a few years back. Cisco has a big track record of experience, R&D, and more.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Huawei Ethernet Switches an eight. Overall, I would recommend this product.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Huawei Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.