Huawei NGFW Overview

Huawei NGFW is the #26 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Huawei NGFW vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Huawei NGFW?

In addition to all the functions of conventional firewalls, Huawei NGFW also provides more advanced security functions, such as IPS and anti-malware functions, to identify applications and prevent application-layer threats. Huawei NGFW provides a global context awareness architecture for granular controls based on application, content, time, user, attack, and location (ACTUAL). The innovative SmartPolicy technology and management interfaces that can be easily integrated simplify the O&M management. The Intelligence Awareness Engine (IAE) uses an integrated architecture to perfectly balance security and performance. Huawei NGFW provides next-generation security featuring comprehensive protection, granular control, and OM simplicity to meet the requirements of enterprise networks on access control, scope of protection, usability, and performance in the new ICT landscape.

Huawei NGFW is also known as Huawei USG Firewalls, USG9500 Series, USG6600 Series, USG6300 Series.

Huawei NGFW Buyer's Guide

Download the Huawei NGFW Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Huawei NGFW Customers

KMITL, Peking University

Huawei NGFW Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei NGFW pricing:
  • "When you compare the price with other products, it's quite cost-effective. But the problem is always after, let's say, two years or three years later because they are not able to provide updates or patches very quickly."
  • "Licensing fees are billed on an annual basis."
  • "The price of the license of this solution is high."

MY
Technical Lead at Computer Marketing Company Pvt Ltd
Good interface and easy to set up but needs more documentation

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security.

• "The user interface is very, very good."
  • "The solution doesn't seem to be very mature. Our networking team says they are experiencing a lot of issues in the firewalls and some routers."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution currently. I'd recommend the product to other organizations. So far, for us, it's worked pretty well. I'd rate the solution six out of ten. I'm sure as it matures and they add more features according to their client's requirements, it will get better. While they need more online documentation we can see it's already getting better. It just needs more time to develop as a product.
RA
Section Head Project Planning and Management. /Lead Network and Security Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Quite stable with good security and holds its own against other products in terms of functionality

• "The security is good. It's as effective as anything else on the market."
  • "The solution requires a more interactive dashboard. That would make it easier than playing with configurations the way we have to now."

What other advice do I have?

I haven't worked too closely with the solution, so I don't understand its full capacity. We have an entire Huawei architecture center. We do have equipment on the firewall side, run by Huawei, however, we haven't upgraded so far, we're just doing it to run parallel assistance with Cisco. We just need support from Huawei but we have not paid for the support yet, and we're lacking in that space. For that reason, we're trying to run another Cisco solution. Due to the fact we are a government organization, we need to only use an on-premise solution, although we are planning to integrate into the…
Learn what your peers think about Huawei NGFW. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YZ
Senior Software Manager at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
A next generation firewall solution that's easy to implement, but technical support could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei NGFW for our internal infrastructure. We also implement it for our customers. Our primary use case is for our internal protection. Then for end-users we we implement Huawei firewalls.

• "I like that the initial setup is straighforward. It's also a scalable solution."
  • "With the Huawei firewall, none of the features comes at the top. We found out later that customer support is really not good. For this firewall, because of our customers' routine, for example, every six months they'll do a penetration test to find weaknesses. So whenever they came up with VAPT reports, they are looking to Huawei for help. I think that's basically because it's a different culture. Chinese culture and our culture is different. They have always tried to help find some excuses or say some other things that cannot help you solve the problem immediately."

What other advice do I have?

We cannot recommend Huawei NGFW to others. For ourselves, we've already made a decision not to buy this product in the future. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Huawei NGFW a six.
TC
Information Systems Infrastructure Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Can help during implementation, however, offers bad documentation and technical support is not helpful

• "Huawei was able to assist us in the installation of their product. The installation was very fast."
  • "The documentation needs to be improved. When they retire old models, they also retire the documentation. However, if you are still using an older model, you still need access to that documentation. And yet, they go ahead and removed it. It's gone. You are therefore stuck with a device with no documentation and technical support that isn't very helpful as they also remove support assistance as well."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We're using the latest version of the solution. We haven't been too satisfied with the solution and so we have decided to move from it to Sophos. I wouldn't recommend the solution. We've had a lot of issues with licensing and support, among other concerns. Overall, I'd rate the solution four out of ten.
MuhammadAdnan
Security Engineer at Multinet Pakistan Pvt.
Easy to use and the support is impressive

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We have deployed it to five sites, so far, and the customers use it to protect their data.

• "I had no difficulty using the Huawei NGFW."
  • "I would like to see an antivirus solution included with the product."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good firewall. They provide good support and I recommend it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Subash Ghimire
Information Security Officer at Kumari Bank Ltd
User-friendly, but the dashboard is slow and they need to add IDS/IPS

• "The mapping features and traffic logging are good."
  • "Wi-Fi scanning and Wi-Fi analysis would be useful features to include in the future."

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation for anybody who is researching this solution is to start with a proof of concept. We no longer use Huawei as our firewall. The number one vendor in the market is Fortinet, then there is Palo Alto, and finally Checkpoint. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
AL
NOC Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Excellent technical support and reliable, but priced high

What is our primary use case?

We were using the solution for everything in our network, such as content filtering, IDS, and IPS. However, because of license issues, we had to stop using the solution.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The stability is good. We had an issue once but there was a patch available we did not know about that fixed the issue.

The solution is scalable but it is difficult because you need to purchase new systems, it is not just one click.

The support for the solution has been excellent. If we ever had an issue they would send an…
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Huawei NGFW Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.