Huawei OceanStor Dorado OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei OceanStor Dorado is #16 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. IT Central Station users give Huawei OceanStor Dorado an average rating of 8 out of 10. Huawei OceanStor Dorado is most commonly compared to Dell EMC PowerStore:Huawei OceanStor Dorado vs Dell EMC PowerStore. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 43% of all views.
What is Huawei OceanStor Dorado?

Huawei's OceanStor Dorado V3 all-flash storage is the ideal choice for enterprises' mission-critical business. It is the industry's first commercial use of NVMe all-flash storage, and it delivers high-performing, reliable, and efficient storage services.

Huawei OceanStor Dorado was previously known as OceanStor Dorado V3 All-Flash Storage System.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Huawei OceanStor Dorado Customers

Telecom Italia, Hi3G Sweden, KPN

Huawei OceanStor Dorado Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei OceanStor Dorado pricing:
  • "There are lots of features included with this solution and some of them require additional licensing, such as creating high availability storage using a cluster."
  • "There are some costs in addition to the standard licensing fees, depending on the requirements."
  • "This product is not too expensive, and the price is competitive on the market."
  • "We usually recommend our customers choose advanced licensing and enterprise companies are more inclined to choose this solution because it is more cost-effective than competitors."
  • "The price of the solution is competitive compared to others, such as Dell EMC and Hitachi. I believe the reason they are providing a discount is they want to increase their penetration into the market."

Huawei OceanStor Dorado Reviews

JS
Senior Storage Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Easy to manage, easy to provision storage, and it is a good price to performance ratio

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the price to performance ratio."
  • "This solution does not support VMware VVols 2.0."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT distributor and this is one of the storage solutions that we implement for our clients. The primary use case is for VMware virtualization, although it is also used for database system storage. Oracle and other SQL databases require a lot of performance in terms of IO per second, which is met by using OceanStore Dorado.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the price to performance ratio. It is a very good price compared to other products and taking the performance into account, it is probably the best price-to-performance ratio on the market right now.

This solution is easy to manage and storage can be provisioned in a very easy way.

What needs improvement?

The logistics can be improved because sometimes we have to wait a long time for the product to be delivered, despite there being stores available in Europe. Some of our customers are discouraged due to this long wait time.

The marketing for this product needs to be improved because it does not have enough exposure.

This solution does not support VMware VVols 2.0. However, I do not feel that this is necessary.

I have about a year and a half of experience with OceanStor Dorado.

The product is stable. We have not had any complaints about the features or stability of this solution from our customers.

I have not been in contact with technical support, and I have not heard that any of our customers have needed to contact them either.

I am also familiar with Pure Storage. They have a nice product and they concentrate only on storage solutions. It is very easy to manage, as well.

I have also worked with storage solutions by Fujitsu and HPE.

The initial setup is short and rather straightforward. One person can do it on their own.

The length of time required for deployment varies depending on how complex the environment is. For example, the simple provision of storage is very easy, but it is always connected through some kind of SAN so it can take time. However, the product itself takes an hour, at most, to deploy.

We are the distributors for this product and our resellers are the ones who do the implementation and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

In Poland, cloud-based workloads are just starting to be adopted. For the time being, the majority of solutions are still deployed on-premises.

Overall, this is a good product that performs well and is easy to manage. Everything that is required by the market, this product already has.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

AY
IT Service Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability and performance with helpful technical support

• "The installation and management are very easy."
  • "The product could always be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for our VMware and some of our systems.

What is most valuable?

We like that the solution is all-flash.

The solution has a sufficient amount of storage on offer.

The solution is very stable.

So far, we have found it to be quite scalable.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward and not overly complex. The installation and management are very easy.

The performance is very good.

Technical support is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The solution can always be more stable.

The product could always be faster.

I've been using this solution for about four months or so. It's still relatively new.

The solution's stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable.

We have found the scalability to be pretty good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

We have about 5,000 users on the solution currently.

We do have plans to increase usage in the future.

The technical support is quite good. They are helpful and responsive. We've been happy with their level of support.

We did previously have another solution, however, I can't recall what the actual name of the product was.

The installation is not overly complex. it's not difficult. It's straightforward. We didn't have any issues with the setup process.

It's a hardware installation. Afterward, the software installation is done for management purposes.

We have four people on staff that can handle any maintenance required. They are all engineers.

We used a Huawei consultant. The process went smoothly and we were happy to have their assistance.

It's my understanding that we paid a one-time licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user.

We use the Dorado 6000 model and it is the latest version.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten overall. We have been quite satisfied with the solution.

I'd definitely recommend the solution to others.

Find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell EMC, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sushin Kurunnantavida
Head of Enterprise Horizondal Division at Computech Limited
Reseller
Easy to set up with good functionality and good stability

• "I've been satisfied with the level of attention I'm given when I reach out to technical support."
  • "I would really like to see Heterogeneous Storage Virtualization in a future release."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a customer's company. We're resellers.

What is most valuable?

The compression on offer is the most valuable aspect of the solution at this time.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with its functionality.

The initial setup is very easy.

I've found the solution to be stable.

The product can scale.

The solution is affordable and reasonably priced. It offers good value for money.

What needs improvement?

I would really like to see Heterogeneous Storage Virtualization in a future release.

I've been using the solution for almost one and a half years. It hasn't been that long just yet.

The solution has been stable. I have not experienced bugs or glitches and I wouldn't say that I've ever seen it crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable so far. If a company needs to expand it, it can.

We typically work with medium-sized organizations and enterprises.

So far, technical support has been great I have no complaints. they are helpful and responsive.

I've worked with HP, Dell, Lenovo, Hitachi, and NetApp. Out of all of these, I still prefer to use Dorado.

The solution is not overly complex or difficult in terms of the initial implementation. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

Deployment takes about two and a half hours or so. It's not a long period of time.

The pricing has been very reasonable. I wouldn't describe it as expensive. Likely, any company would find the solution to be affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller and consultant.

I'd a good solution that offers very good value for money.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

MK
Solution Delivery Expert at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Simple to use with powerful applications

• "The majority of our customers find this solution simple to use."
  • "There are some limitations to this product because they do not have unified storage."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Huawei OceanStor Dorado is one of the products that we are working on for a customer. There are a lot of use cases for it, primarily in the financial and banking sectors.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are CDP and Metro in the Hyper applications.

The majority of our customers find this solution simple to use.

We have been dealing with Huawei for the past 10 years.

This is a stable solution.

It is very easy to scale products by Huawei.

Most of our clients who purchase this product are small and medium-sized businesses, although we do have some enterprise-level customers.

Huawei provides different types of services in our region. There are Hi-Care and Co-Care. The Hi-Care services are provided directly by Huawei, whereas Co-Care services are handled by partners. Overall, the support is fine.

I have experience with solutions from other vendors such as Dell EMC and NetApp. The initial setup is easiest with Huawei.

The initial setup is very simple. It will take only five or ten minutes for deployment and the initial tests.

My company has an in-house team that handles the implementation and services for our clients. If the client purchases a maintenance contract then we take care of that, as well.

There are some costs in addition to the standard licensing fees, depending on the requirements. Examples of these are the HyperMetro, HyperReplication, and HyperSnapshot (HyperSnap) features.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering OceanStor Dorado is that it is a very reliable solution with good features. It is a well-established product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

MK
Solution Delivery Expert at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Fast support, easy to deploy, priced competitively, and well-serves our DR purposes

• "This is a stable product that we can use for DR in production."
  • "If they implement a backup solution directly into the OceanStor then it will be a valuable feature."

What is our primary use case?

We have this product deployed in our data center and are using it for DR purposes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is Snap Mirroring.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Huawei OceanStor Dorado for between four and five years.

This is a stable product that we can use for DR in production. We plan to continue using it.

This solution is scalable and you can expand it to petabytes. We have more than 500 users.

Huawei's technical support is very advanced. Customers can directly approach a Huawei technical person by logging a ticket and providing an email address. They will definitely respond in one or two hours.

The support is fast but the customer needs to understand what data they need for support.

We call use another storage product, the Dell EMC Unity 300.

The installation and configuration are quite simple.

The length of time required for deployment depends on your scenario. If you deploy it as a DR site, it will take between three and four hours to complete. This includes all of the features.

We implemented and deployed in-house.

Not many people are needed for deployment maintenance. A minimum of two people can deploy and manage it.

All of the brands have different architectures for licensing. Some licenses come standard with the product, whereas some you need to buy.

This product is not too expensive, and the price is competitive on the market.

What other advice do I have?

For me, this is a good solution and there is no need to improve it. I recommend it to others.

Irfan Basharat
Solutions Architect (Huawei & Lenovo) at Computer Marketing Company Pvt Ltd
Plenty of features, priced well, and reliable

• "There are plenty of features available in this solution."
  • "This solution can improve by providing easier migrations and better Metro features."

What is our primary use case?

Huawei OceanStor Dorado is a flash storage solution.

What is most valuable?

There are plenty of features available in this solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution can improve by providing easier migrations and better Metro features.

In an upcoming release, Huawei could improve by adding migration services to allow customers to migrate from other solutions, such as HPE or Dell. This would help make this solution more attractive to those wanting to switch.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

The solution is highly stable.

I have clients of all business sizes.

The support is good. However, there are times when it can be challenging.

I have previously used IBM, HPE, Dell, and Lenovo and when comparing Huawei OceanStor Dorado, it is a very good solution.

The difficulty level of the installation depends on the client's environment. There are easy installations and very complicated ones. For example, if the client needs to have replication and backups a few times a day and there is more than a 200-kilometer distance for the data to be transferred it can be difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Huawei OceanStor Dorado a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Solutions provider
PR
Senior Consultant at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Overall simple to use, good local support, but integration need improvement

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the overall simplicity."
  • "Huawei OceanStor Dorado could improve the integration, there have been some compatibility issues with some operating system functions."

What is our primary use case?

Most of my clients are using this solution to manage their smaller storage and as a backup solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the overall simplicity.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

We have not had an issue with the scalability.

The solution is scalable.

The local support has been very good.

The installation is straightforward. The team did not do a lot of training and was able to handle the installation without issues.

The price of the solution is competitive compared to others, such as Dell EMC and Hitachi. I believe the reason they are providing a discount is they want to increase their penetration into the market.

I have evaluated Dell EMC and Hitachi solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Huawei OceanStor Dorado a six out of ten.

Product Categories
All-Flash Storage Arrays
Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell EMC, Pure Storage, and more!