Huawei OceanStor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei OceanStor is #15 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. IT Central Station users give Huawei OceanStor an average rating of 8 out of 10. Huawei OceanStor is most commonly compared to Dell EMC Unity XT:Huawei OceanStor vs Dell EMC Unity XT. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 39% of all views.
What is Huawei OceanStor?

OceanStor Dorado V3 is the industry's first all-flash storage that puts NVMe into commercial use. It is specially designed for enterprises' mission-critical businesses, meeting the most-demanding performance and reliability requirements of databases, VDI, server virtualization, and SAP HANA.

Huawei OceanStor was previously known as OceanStor Dorado V3 All-Flash Storage System, OceanStor 18000 V3 Series Storage Systems, OceanStor 6800 V3 Storage System.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Huawei OceanStor Customers

Piraeus, Clinique Univeritaires Saint-Luc

Huawei OceanStor Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei OceanStor pricing:
  • "Huawei OceanStor is priced very well but is a bit complicated."
  • "The price of the solution could be less expensive. However, there are not any licensing costs."

Huawei OceanStor Reviews

Chetan Woodun
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good management and technical support, but it is not too cheap also.

• "We get a quick response in case any component defaults. We have seen the benefits mostly."
  • "Huawei is not that cheap."

What is our primary use case?

Customers using in production environment

How has it helped my organization?

We deployed Huawei OceanStor because we had some problems increasing the number of users on our database and were suffering from slowness and downtime. Then we just thought the All-Flash represented a quick win. We implemented it and now most of our data-intensive transactions are sitting under All-Flash.

We've gotten quite a good response from our users since we began using All-Flash.

What is most valuable?

The management is fine. And we get a quick response in case any component defaults. We have seen the benefits mostly.

We've been using this solution for about one year.

At first, we had some component failures - none that were critical because our system has built-in redundancy. We had a number of these failures at a component level, but that was quickly resolved through a firmware upgrade. We had some doubts we were going in the right direction by using the OceanStor solution, but all the problems got resolved through the firmware upgrade. I don't have much to say. Maybe our period of using it is too limited for me to say much about it.

I've had experience with support. In fact, even for this type of solution, hyperconverged, we took the product support that is standard. In fact, the alerts go to us and they also go to Huawei support because it's a critical system for us. We sometimes have Huawei contacting us to say we got something even before we contact them. This is good. Support has been good.

We've used NetApp, HP, and EMC.

The physical installation itself is quite fast, but we had to go through the requirements with the connections and servers, etc. I would say it took about five or six weeks.

Not yet measured

Since Huawei is a Chinese product we've got the tendency to think that it is very cheap. But Huawei is not that cheap. We compared Huawei's price before purchasing. We compared costs per GB to other suppliers, as well. We compared the cost to EMC and NetApp, which are quite nimble solutions. We had to also evaluate the local support that is in our country. We evaluated other criteria, as well. After these evaluations we chose Huawei. It was not only cost. Basically it's not the cheapest but it's in the mid-pricing. We've got the high end, the mid-price, then we've got the low end. Huawei would be in the middle.

I will keep it general and not provide a detailed analysis in terms of storage and the All-Flash requirements. In this case, people, especially application guys, should understand that All-Flash is not for all applications. This is important because of the cost of All-Flash compared to other storage solutions. In fact, you need to emphasize this very well and tell application guys that you're spending a lot of money on All-Flash when it's not really required. In my opinion, this is the main thing. Otherwise, you end up upgrading and upgrading and it's quite a budget for All-Flash compared to other storage.

We evaluated NetApp and EMC.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a seven.

I gave it a score of seven based on my experience with other storage solutions. We've used NetApp, HP, and EMC. We've used quite a number. In fact, I gave this score because of the support. It is quite a high score. But frankly, we're still going through the steps of implementing. We have our main database there. Now we are going to optimize further. It's not only because All-Flash costs money. We should use it optimally. There is a tendency for users to put all their data on the All-Flash. We also have cache solutions whereby a part of the data is on the All-Flash. We are trying to convince users that they don't really need All-Flash for all their data, for all their applications. Maybe in more time, I can compare and give you an idea, but not yet at this stage. I can't tell you which features we need, not yet at this stage.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant for user company
FN
Consulant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Its management interface it's quite simple

• "OceanStor is cheaper than Dell EMC, and its management interface is quite simple."
  • "CFS integration is one area where OceanStor has some room for improvement. The CFS on OceanStor is dedicated, so it's not integrated with the existing active directory domain."

What is our primary use case?

We are using OceanStor for enterprise and block storage. It is connected to our company and used as backend storage for different virtualization and database solutions.

What is most valuable?

We purchased the HyperMetro feature, but we have not really used it. It would've been very interesting, but we have mainly used the option and clean features.

What needs improvement?

CFS integration is one area where OceanStor has some room for improvement. The CFS on OceanStor is dedicated, so it's not integrated with the existing active directory domain. That's a big issue with this service. Huawei could also improve the power unit on this storage solution. When we conducted some tests, we noticed that the autonomy for the BBU is not really long. Within 15 minutes, it totally went down. OceanStor is out of support and off the market, so Huawei is moving now to Dorado.

Also, the interface is in Chinese in some places. It would be helpful if they could release some versions without Chinese.

I've used OceanStor since 2017.

OceanStor's overall stability and performance are quite good. In terms of storage in full flash, we have not been pushing it to the extreme. But we haven't had any performance issues so far.

OceanStor is supposed to be scalable, but we have not really tried it. For scalability, the company chose to move to another solution. They have a couple of systems for storage, with more than 200 hosts.

Huawei technical support was not needed to fix production issues. But I got in touch with them once, and it wasn't very good because we did not get the solution. They were pushing us to embed it, which didn't work for our use case.

Setting up OceanStor is pretty simple compared to Dell EMC, but the time needed for deployment depends on many things. It took around a month because it has to go through several processes to access the data center, get approval, plan the activity, and follow all the internal procedures. So these things make the process take longer.

In terms of maintenance, we load patches from Huawei by open request. They have patches that need to be applied from time to time. Three people are administrating OceanStor directly within the company. We have outside support who can access it on demand, but three people are storage administrators within the company.

OceanStor's pricing is based on features and volume. If you have a feature like IPCC One or HyperMetro, you will get the license for a specific volume. So when you reach that volume limit, you need to extend the license. That is a significant issue with it.

With many other vendors, the licensing model is mainly based on the feature. For instance, if a file is part of the license for Snapshot, once you have the license, it's not linked to the volume or the number of snapshots you do, even when you extend your storage capacity. It is a perpetual license not based on volume. But with Huawei, that is an issue because you need to extend it to still benefit from the feature if you exceed the volume. You have to pay a lot for data. I would estimate that it accounts for about 10% of the license, but the fact that it is based on volume is not a good point, in my opinion.

OceanStor is cheaper than Dell EMC, and its management interface is quite simple. Dell EMC's interface is also straightforward. When I compare OceanStor with the full flash of another vendor, I will say that it performed well with the full load, and we have not seen any efficiency issues.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Huawei OceanStor eight out of 10. I would recommend it to other people.

Find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GB
Chief Executive Officer at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Easy to implement, runs well, and the price is good

• "The setup and the price are the most valuable and not the features related."
  • "I would like to see the next generation all-flash, which could be combined."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the software. The hardware, we design ourselves.

We are resellers. We provide business software and the back-end system is a cross-selling theme for us.

What is most valuable?

The setup and the price are the most valuable and not the features related.

On top of the data core environment for software-defined storage, we use machine power and not software technology.

We struggle with finding anything to improve, as it's a powerful solution and is missing nothing.

What needs improvement?

The energy could be better. I would like to see the next generation all-flash, which could be combined.

The interface needs improvement. You have a standardized fiber channel from the past and you have to order a 10 gig interface separately. It would be better to have it all. Huawei has it all in its portfolio, so it can easily be built. They don't have to purchase it, it can be built by themselves.

I have been working with Huawei OceanStor for five years.

We have not contacted technical support because it runs very well. We have not had any issues.

We are also working with Lenovo. Lenovo is in the same price range, but Huawei is a step further.

The implementation is easy because we are educated and experienced in Huawei OceanStor.

Huawei OceanStor is priced very well but is a bit complicated.

You have a price list but have to wait for a discount, which depends on the distribution, where you get it from. This is intransparent, I prefer a clear price policy.

I would prefer having a price quote based on whether you are a reseller if you have silver or gold status, or a customer.

The price list is high and you get a large discount from the price list. I prefer a comparable price list and a smaller discount.

We are always looking for the best solution for the next five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Huawei OceanStor an eight out of ten.

MY
Technical Lead at Computer Marketing Company Pvt Ltd
Easy to install, good configuration and extremely stable

What is our primary use case?

We have some Huawei 9000 cases for our virtualization, and for the storage block-level and mass as well, For HyperMetro too, for 18560 and 6800, this solution is critical for our company. The product is the main one on the line, it serves the entire company. Our usage expands daily.  We are partners with Huawei and I'm the technical lead.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to install and configure. It's also very stable.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a more stable, lighter Metro and better logging system for issues and resolution in the future.

We've been using this solution for the past 12 months.

For HyperMetro there are some…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to install and configure. It's also very stable.

What needs improvement?

We've been using this solution for the past 12 months.

For HyperMetro there are some requirements for stable and dark fiber links. We have some issues with the dark fiber, but mostly their storage is very stable. We have around 3,500 users for 6800 and a total of almost 6,000 users. We used Huawei for the initial deployment but for the second deployment we mostly did it by ourselves.

Customer support is very good but if you want support and you don't have SNS switches as well, the complete solution is not there. Sometimes Huawei support doesn't extend to that. For other products they generally ask you to contact other principals. I don't think Huawei isselling their SNS switches anymore.

We didn't abandon the solutions we were using before Huawi. We have some EMC solutions which are also installed and running.

It's very easy to install and configure the solution. It didn't take too long, it was more about fulfilling requirements for storage and deployment, so probably a month to six weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution and rate it a nine out of 10.

JS
IT Solution Architect at Huatech a.s.
Great for internal IT systems and excellent value for money

• "Great value for money."
  • "Integration with mainstream solution technologies could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are integrators so we're selling this solution to our customers. Many are from the transportation sector, public broadcasting sector, or they are service providers. They use it for internal IT systems. Our clients cover the full range from small to enterprise size companies. We are a gold partner with Huawei and I'm an IT solution architect.

What is most valuable?

Most clients tell us that the most valuable feature of the solution is the value for money. They feel that they receive numerous great features for a reasonble price. IBM and HP charge a lot more for what OceanStor customers get as part of the product.

What needs improvement?

There are some small things in the solution that can be improved. Supporting software is one of them and the integration with mainstream solution technologies could be better. They are small issues and generally the technology functions well. It's not an issue caused by the vendor but rather due to external circumstances and the cessation of cooperation between Chinese and US companies.

I've been using this solution for about eight years.

It's a very stable solution.

The scalability is an easy process. It has a good capacity.

Technical support is good, we're very satisfied with it.

Initial setup is very straightforward and easy. Deployment takes no more than 10 or 15 minutes. It takes three or four people from our company and the client company to carry out deployment. We carry out maintenance, it usually takes three people.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend everyone to try the product, they will be surprised at how good it is.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

DK
Technology Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good flexibility, straightforward to set up, and it is stable

• "The most valuable feature is the flexibility in the rail, as it is hybrid storage."
  • "The administration should be simplified because there are a large number of options that make it too complicated, and the customers can get confused."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integration company and we are working with Huawei OceanStor products. It is mainly used for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the flexibility in the rail, as it is hybrid storage. It can be used for many different use cases, depending on what our customer requests.

What needs improvement?

The administration should be simplified because there are a large number of options that make it too complicated, and the customers can get confused. The V6 has already been improved and is much simpler, but the V3 is not.

I have been working with Huawei OceanStor for a couple of months.

I have not seen any bugs or glitches.

The technical support is okay. It depends on whether you are asking the right questions. If you do then you get the right answers, but when the team is asking something that is not straight, then you won't solve the problem right away.

In the past, I have had lots of experience with different storage vendors. I worked for many of them. I have found that most of them are using the same disks, so it is hard to point to things that differentiate them. For the most part, the functionality is the same but the functions have different names.

The initial setup is okay and there is not much difficulty involved. The deployment can be completed in a couple of hours.

SS
Technical Support Executive at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Easy to set up with reasonable pricing and great documentation

• "The pricing is very reasonable."
  • "Technical support could be more helpful."

What is most valuable?

The solution makes migration very simple.

The initial setup is very easy.

The management of the solution is easy and documentation is very much simple.

With the help of its documentation, if someone is new to the solution, all they need to do is follow the documentation and they can handle the product with ease.

The solution is scalable.

The pricing is very reasonable.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across areas that need specific improvements.

Technical support could be more helpful.

I'd like to see some cloning or snapshot functionality in the near future.

I've been working with the solution for the last five years or so. It's been a while.

The solution can scale well. A company that needs to expand it can do so with ease.

Technical support is okay. However, sometimes within the support system, they provide some sort of canned automatic reply to the customer instead of setting up communication with the customers.

The initial setup is very simple. Even if a user is new to the product, they can just look at the documentation, and it will guide them through the process.

We do not find the pricing to be very high. It's quite affordable.

What other advice do I have?

We are a distributing partner of Huawei. I have experience in terms of installation, configuration, and professional services.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to others. I'd also advise on Dorado Storage, however, they would need to use a professional service.

PP
Engineer Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Straightforward installation, stable, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei OceanStor as a storage solution for our organization.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having better integration.

I have been using Huawei OceanStor for a few years.

Huawei OceanStor is stable.

Huawei OceanStor is scalable. We have many users using this solution in my organization.

The technical support from Huawei OceanStor is good.

We previously used another similar solution to Huawei OceanStor and we switched because the price was better.

How was

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei OceanStor as a storage solution for our organization.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having better integration.

I have been using Huawei OceanStor for a few years.

Huawei OceanStor is stable.

Huawei OceanStor is scalable.

We have many users using this solution in my organization.

The technical support from Huawei OceanStor is good.

The installation of Huawei OceanStor is easy and took approximately three hours.

I am able to do the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Huawei OceanStor an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
All-Flash Storage Arrays
Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more!