Jarek Słupiński
Freelancer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
We can use hardware resources much more efficiently.

• "I think all of these improvements are going in a good direction. For me, its direction is good and I'm very satisfied with this product."
  • "I am using this solution with E-Notes. I heard that there will be future improvements in integration of the E-notes systems. This would be very helpful."

What is our primary use case?

Two main x3650M3 servers with 192GB and 96GB RAM. Primary case was Active Directory infrastructure (actually three DC's), file repository, main MS SQL Server and couple of applications servers.

Additionally remote access thru Desktop Services, management (nVision), central AV (ESET), software routers. In short - whole bunch of different servers and different operating systems Windows Server and desktop, different flavours of Linux, even FreeBSD).

What is most valuable?

Creating virtual machines is really straightforward. Possibility of changing virtual disk size is very helpful. The simplicity of the interface can be confusing because it really provides some advanced options.

What needs improvement?

I am waiting for improvements in networking and life migration. Some networking settings could be less cryptic.

More than five years.

I have never had any stability problems caused by Hyper-V for over five years.

I am very satisfied with the scalability of Hyper-V. I'm using up to eight virtual machines on single x3650 M3

We previously used VMware, but we switched because Hyper-V is cheaper and delivers the same stability for less money. To be honest for free.

Initial setup was straightforward. It was easy and fast. It took me between a half  to an hour for complete deployment. The most complex part is the networking.

In-house. To be precise by myself.

Licensing is fairly easy because Hyper-V itself is free.

Citrix Xen, but this solution has become too expensive.

Tommy Myo Min Aung
Senior System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Highly stable, simple installation, and helpful support

• "The solution is highly stable."
  • "The solution could improve by having virtual restore."

What is our primary use case?

In our environment, we have a special custom configuration for the Hyper-V switches we use. We have a full-scope VM in our environment and especially for certain Cisco configurations, such as the spam folder in the Hyper-V. It is really difficult to configure from scratch. In this scenario, the agent is really helpful for us, for the restoration. The community edition provides a free, low-cost package solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having virtual restore.

I have been using Hyper-V for approximately five years.

The solution is highly stable.

We have ten hosts that use the solution.

The support is very good.

I have previously used VMware and Citrix Xen.

The installation is simple, and it took us approximately 45 minutes.

I did the implementation myself. There is only one senior engineer required for support of Hyper-V.

The licensing costs depend on the environment you have. If you have an environment of less than 10 or 30 VMs, It's nice to have a Hyper-V, but if you have more than 100 or 200, I would recommend using VCenter, VMware virtualization, especially for an on-premise solution.

What other advice do I have?

VMware virtualization is our main solution, but we use Hyper-V because of the licensing and the cost-effective solution, and on the remote offices we only have fewer than 10 servers.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Hyper-V a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Hyper-V. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AV
IT Infrastructure Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A scalable and user-friendly native hypervisor

• "I like that it's easy to use."
  • "The backup site could be better. We used to face a lot of issues, and we are looking to solve that now. We are in the process of moving all the infrastructure to the cloud. It could also use more integration on the management part. We also need more integration on the monitoring sites."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for anything like production and everything we're running on right now.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The backup site could be better. We used to face a lot of issues, and we are looking to solve that now. We are in the process of moving all the infrastructure to the cloud. It could also use more integration on the management part. We also need more integration on the monitoring sites.

I have been using Hyper-V for four to five years.

It could be more stable. We faced a lot of issues on the backup site.

Hyper-V is a scalable solution. We are a global center, and we use Hyper-V across 22 countries.

We also use VMware vSphere.

It is a straightforward implementation. If you want to put Hyper-V as a single load, it will take about one to two hours. If you want high availability, it will take approximately four to five hours.

We implemented this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using VMware and Hyper-V. Comparing the two, I love to use VMware more than Hyper-V. However, I would recommend this solution to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Hyper-V an eight.

Hybrid Cloud
LM
Technology Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Priced well, integrates with Microsoft product, and reliable

• "Hyper-V integrates well with other Microsoft solutions."
  • "One of the network problems I face is I cannot introduce other security layers on top of Hyper-V as you can in VMware. When it comes to the network the VMware is more flexible than Hyper-V."

What is our primary use case?

We supply Hyper-V for hardware virtualization to customers.

What is most valuable?

Hyper-V integrates well with other Microsoft solutions.

What needs improvement?

One of the network problems I face is I cannot introduce other security layers on top of Hyper-V as you can in VMware. When it comes to the network the VMware is more flexible than Hyper-V.

I have been using Hyper-V for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

We have not had any issues that we would need to contact the support.

I have previously used VMware solutions.

There is a license required to use Hyper-V and there are bundle packages you can purchase making it cheaper than other solutions, such as VMware. Additionally, if there is a lot of guest OS that requires Windows, then Microsoft becomes cheaper.

The cost of the usage is dependant on the customer's requirements and if the virtual network is flexible or not. Since VMware is more flexible it can become superior but not cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise customers that are Microsoft users to use Hyper-V if they want to have more cost-efficiency. Additionally, if the customer uses a lot of Windows Server for the guest OS, I will recommend Hyper-V.

I rate Hyper-V an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
YA
VP Technology at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use and does the job that we need, although the management interface needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are using Hyper-V to host a few Linux virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of use, and it gets the job done in a straightforward manner.

What needs improvement?

The management interface is in need of the biggest improvement. There are a few gaps in there when I compare with VMware. Some additional monitoring features would be helpful.

We have been using Hyper-V for the past four or five years.

We have a few support applications that run on top of this solution, so we just have a handful of people who use it. I would say that there are five or six users. At this point, we do not have plans to increase…

What is our primary use case?

We are using Hyper-V to host a few Linux virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

Some additional monitoring features would be helpful.

We have been using Hyper-V for the past four or five years.

At this point, we do not have plans to increase usage.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support.

The installation was straightforward and I don't think that we had any major issues there. I think that it took approximately one day to deploy.

The implementation was done by our in-house IT people. We have one system administrator that takes care of maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

For what we use this product for, it is pretty basic and it is good enough for our purposes.

Our main complaint is about the administration interface.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

ST
Founder at a retailer with 1-10 employees
Easy to set up and deploy, but the virtual network manager could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are just exploring the possibilities to see if it was a better alternative to VirtualBox, for running on a Windows host.

What needs improvement?

I think the setup for the Virtual Network Manager could be improved.

I have only just started using this solution. It's been one to two weeks. I am using the version with Windows 10 Pro.

It's too early to tell at the moment. We are still new to using Hyper-V.

We have not yet explored this area. At the moment, I am the only user.

I have not contacted technical support.

Which solution did I use

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

I think the setup for the Virtual Network Manager could be improved.

I have only just started using this solution. It's been one to two weeks.

I am using the version with Windows 10 Pro.

It's too early to tell at the moment. We are still new to using Hyper-V.

We have not yet explored this area. At the moment, I am the only user.

I have not contacted technical support.

I am currently using VirtualBox and Hyper-V on different VMs.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy to install.

It took an hour to get the on-premises system running.

I completed the setup and implementation.

What other advice do I have?

It's still too early to know if I would recommend it or not.

I am still in the processing phase, so depending on how it goes, we may continue to use this solution. At this point, we intend to use it.

With what I know so far, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

CS
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Has the ability to do checkpoints then roll back to the checkpoint which is needed to test the software

• "The most valuable feature is being able to do checkpoints then roll back to the checkpoint because that's what we need to test the software. We're testing the installation and then we roll it back and retest it."
  • "It would be nice if they had video acceleration, they got rid of that and VMware has video acceleration."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for testing software.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to do checkpoints then roll back to the checkpoint because that's what we need to test the software. We test the installation and then we roll it back and retest it.

It's really just a small part of what we do, so I was looking for something that would get the job done and it met all the requirements at very little cost.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they had video acceleration, they got rid of that and VMware has video acceleration. It would be nice to be able to test through video part the Virtual Machine, like you can with VMware, Hyper-V does not let you do that.

I have been using Hyper-V for five years.

It's very stable and very scalable. We're a very small operation, so we really just require one person for maintenance and deployment.

The initial setup is very easy, you just check a couple of checkmarks.

It's included in the windows, so not it's very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
MD
Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
User-friendly GUI, good technical support, but security needs improvement

• "I have found the GUI user-friendly and having the solution be a Windows application makes it familiar to users."
  • "VMware has antivirus protection that covers the entire VM. If Microsoft could have something similar to this in Hyper-V, that would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We use Hyper-V for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

VMware has antivirus protection that covers the entire VM. If Microsoft could have something similar to this in Hyper-V, that would be great. Currently, in Hyper-V, we have to have a separate antivirus for each VM. If there could be umbrella coverage to the entire setup, then that would be beneficial.

I have been using Hyper-V for approximately 10 years.

The solution could be more stable as it is vulnerable to viruses, ransomware, and malware.

We have approximately 100 customers using this solution.

The support from Microsoft is good.

The installation is very easy, it takes approximately 30 minutes.

We have three supporting engineers that do the implementation of the solution.

There is a perpetual license to use the solution and there are additional fees for support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Hyper-V a seven out of ten.