Hyper-V Overview

Hyper-V is the #4 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to KVM: Hyper-V vs KVM

What is Hyper-V?

Hyper-V is a native hypervisor for x86-64 systems, enabling platform virtualization. It is a Microsoft product that comes in two forms. One form is Hyper-V as a standalone product, known as Hyper-V Server (Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 is the latest version). The other form is as a role to be installed in Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, or the x64 version of Window 8 Pro. No matter what form it takes, Hyper-V gives you the services and tools required to create a virtualized server environment.

Hyper-V creates a cost-effective, stable and productive server virtualization environment by running multiple operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, and more, in parallel on one server.

Some of the business benefits of installing Hyper-V include:

• Create a private cloud environment or expand an existing one.
  • Optimize hardware utilization and minimize resource consumption by consolidating servers in the form of virtual machines on one physical host.
  • Improvement of business continuity.
  • Virtual Desktop Infrastructure creation or expansion.
  • Greater efficiency for test and development activities.
Hyper-V Buyer's Guide

Download the Hyper-V Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Hyper-V Customers

Large customer base from all industries, all over the world. Two major Hyper-V customers are Telefonica and EmpireCLS.

Hyper-V Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hyper-V pricing:
  • "Microsoft Hyper-V is not expensive and is easy to set up."
  • "We previously used VMware, but we switched because Hyper-V is cheaper and delivers the same stability for less money."
  • "The pricing is not much. We have a very big environment, and pricing is no problem."

Hyper-V Reviews

Alan Kuo
Project Engineer at ASE Group Global
Jul 7, 2020
An easy setup with good scalability and stability

What is our primary use case?

I use the Hyper-V for migration for the machines. We move our systems to Hyper-V and then from physical to virtual. I currently run on the physical server. I'm migrating this server from the physical to the Hyper-V virtual machine.

• "The solution has an easy setup."
  • "There needs to be more functionality overall in the Hyper-V manager."

What other advice do I have?

We're just Microsoft customers. We aren't partners and don't have a special relationship with the company and we don't sell Microsoft products. I focus on server virtualization. I work with both VMware and Hyper-V. We're working with the 2019 and 2017 versions on Windows. I'd recommend the solution. It's very good. I'd rate it eight out of ten overall.
Morne' O'Kennedy
Lead specialist at OKCIUS (Pty) Ltd
Aug 4, 2019
Improves security and uptime, and the VMM gives you full control over many resources

What is our primary use case?

This solution is mostly being used to deliver flexibility, high availability, and redundancy to accommodate production demand on an as-needed basis. The main driver is consolidation, which is then complemented with the above-mentioned items. Hyper-V is a cost-effective platform that helped many companies I've been involved with to reduce data center administration and licensing costs drastically. Once the platform is in place, it helps to control resources more accurately and on a consumption basis. By using the VMM (Virtual Machine Manager) you have full control of the fabric, workloads… more »

• "Hyper-V improved the infrastructure drastically, not only from a performance perspective but from a control/administration view as well."
  • "There are some storage problems which do occur in high load systems, especially SQL workloads."
Learn what your peers think about Hyper-V. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RameshDasari
IT Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 6, 2020
Provided a good cost-saving from the management perspective but disaster recovery capabilities need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT service company. We understand the technology and we provide Microsoft solutions, Linux, and Cisco solutions. We have a 360-degree relationship with Microsoft, Cisco, and two other companies. We are a premium partner with Microsoft. We use Hyper-V for virtualization and the consolidation of infrastructures. It is a cost-saving solution. We currently use 25% physical, and 75% virtual resources via Hyper-V, i.e. a ratio of 2.5 to 7.5. So we are using the virtual aspect to a greater extent.

• "It has provided a good cost-saving from the management perspective."
  • "Disaster recovery capabilities are the primary choice for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

We are very satisfied with Hyper-V. I would rate Hyper-V as 7 out of 10.
Jarek Słupiński
Freelancer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jun 10, 2020
We can use hardware resources much more efficiently.

What is our primary use case?

Two main x3650M3 servers with 192GB and 96GB RAM. Primary case was Active Directory infrastructure (actually three DC's), file repository, main MS SQL Server and couple of applications servers. Additionally remote access thru Desktop Services, management (nVision), central AV (ESET), software routers. In short - whole bunch of different servers and different operating systems Windows Server and desktop, different flavours of Linux, even FreeBSD).

• "I think all of these improvements are going in a good direction. For me, its direction is good and I'm very satisfied with this product."
  • "I am using this solution with E-Notes. I heard that there will be future improvements in integration of the E-notes systems. This would be very helpful."
reviewer1428426
VP Technology at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 26, 2020
Easy to use and does the job that we need, although the management interface needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are using Hyper-V to host a few Linux virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of use, and it gets the job done in a straightforward manner.

What needs improvement?

The management interface is in need of the biggest improvement. There are a few gaps in there when I compare with VMware. Some additional monitoring features would be helpful.

We have been using Hyper-V for the past four or five years.

We have a few support applications that run on top of this solution, so we just have a handful of people who use it. I would say that there are five or six users. At this point, we do not have plans to increase…
reviewer1455690
Founder at a retailer with 1-10 employees
Nov 29, 2020
Easy to set up and deploy, but the virtual network manager could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are just exploring the possibilities to see if it was a better alternative to VirtualBox, for running on a Windows host.

What needs improvement?

I think the setup for the Virtual Network Manager could be improved.

I have only just started using this solution. It's been one to two weeks. I am using the version with Windows 10 Pro.

It's too early to tell at the moment. We are still new to using Hyper-V.

We have not yet explored this area. At the moment, I am the only user.

I have not contacted technical support.

Which solution did I use

MissileMax
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jun 18, 2020
Has the ability to do checkpoints then roll back to the checkpoint which is needed to test the software

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for testing software.

• "The most valuable feature is being able to do checkpoints then roll back to the checkpoint because that's what we need to test the software. We're testing the installation and then we roll it back and retest it."
  • "It would be nice if they had video acceleration, they got rid of that and VMware has video acceleration."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.
MS Alam
System Administrator at Abdullah Al-Othaim Markets
Apr 20, 2019
The cluster environment is a good feature of this solution. If something happens, then it will automatically move to some other mode.

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using this solution for Exchange, as a demo controller and an antivirus, as well. We have lots of servers on our Hyper-V.

• "I think the cluster environment is a good feature of Hyper-V because, if something happens, then it will automatically move to some other mode. This is a great feature of the solution."
  • "The setup was straightforward and easy for our company. The deployment was fast."
  • "Sometimes it is a mess, and it is getting hanged. It should be something that could be easily fixed. It made us have to deal with fixing the bugs."
See 3 more Hyper-V Reviews