Hyper-V Overview

Hyper-V is the #4 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to KVM: Hyper-V vs KVM

What is Hyper-V?

Hyper-V is a native hypervisor for x86-64 systems, enabling platform virtualization. It is a Microsoft product that comes in two forms. One form is Hyper-V as a standalone product, known as Hyper-V Server (Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 is the latest version). The other form is as a role to be installed in Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, or the x64 version of Window 8 Pro. No matter what form it takes, Hyper-V gives you the services and tools required to create a virtualized server environment.

Hyper-V creates a cost-effective, stable and productive server virtualization environment by running multiple operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, and more, in parallel on one server.

Some of the business benefits of installing Hyper-V include:

• Create a private cloud environment or expand an existing one.
  • Optimize hardware utilization and minimize resource consumption by consolidating servers in the form of virtual machines on one physical host.
  • Improvement of business continuity.
  • Virtual Desktop Infrastructure creation or expansion.
  • Greater efficiency for test and development activities.
Hyper-V Buyer's Guide

Download the Hyper-V Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Hyper-V Customers

Large customer base from all industries, all over the world. Two major Hyper-V customers are Telefonica and EmpireCLS.

Hyper-V Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hyper-V pricing:
  • "Because we're an NGO or a charity, we get discount rates from Microsoft. The costs are not astronomical for us. To give you an example, Office 2019 would only cost 30 or 45 for us. We tend to use the on-premises version rather than the cloud version. The reason is that the subscription service works out more expensive after a few years than the on-premise version. We're not worried about having the bleeding edge stuff. We just want it to be functional."
  • "If you have the standard edition of Windows server then with each copy of the operating system, you have two virtual machines for free."
  • "Hyper-V is cost-effective and is a one-time purchase. Microsoft has multiple licensing options available, such as a subscription model and an outside purchase model that customers can choose as per their requirements."
  • "Microsoft Hyper-V is not expensive and is easy to set up."

Aws Al-Dabbagh
IT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, straightforward to setup, and capable of scaling

What is our primary use case?

The solution is server virtualization software. We're using it to create virtual servers on our hosts and assign roles to each server separately. That's basically what a virtualization server does.

• "Microsoft has documentation that is easy to find, helpful, and readily available."
  • "The solution is heavily reliant on Microsoft's active directory for authentication, for coordination between nodes. Therefore, it inherits all the issues that are within the active directory."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer or end-user. We're using the version that is on Windows Server 2012 R2. I'd advise other companies that this solution is to be considered, compared to other solutions. That said, there are solutions that are better and it depends on the scenario. It depends on the scenario, the scale you have, the implementation, et cetera. Companies should compare it to other solutions. Maybe the cost is high and performance isn't as good for them. I would suggest companies go with the VMware solution. That said, again, it depends on the scenario. In some scenarios, where a company is…
Liam Lynch
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Low on resources, easy to tailer, easy to move things, and highly reliable

What is our primary use case?

We basically use it to virtualize a service for email on-premise. We also use it to virtualize the apps, but it is mainly for virtualizing servers, such as SQL Server, Exchange Server, SharePoint, and CRM.

• "It is actually very low on resources. It doesn't use many resources. It is also very easy to tailor. You can change things like the amount of memory and storage on the fly. It is very stable and reliable. I like its replication feature, which is very good. It is also very easy to move the virtual machines across push servers without any difficulty. Its performance is also very good. Now with this pandemic, a lot of workers are working from home. A lot of workers have been using laptops as their desktop computers, and they would remote into a virtual PC. There is no difficulty, and they can't tell the difference between this and the real one. It is much easier to manage."
  • "The Hyper-V management console could be improved to make it easier. It should be a little bit more granular. Various virtual switches could also be improved to make virtual desk management slightly better. The replication could be improved slightly. The checkpoints or snapshots could be improved to make it a bit more transparent to the user."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that you have the hardware that is up to the job. You should also have a clear plan of what you want to virtualize. Make sure that there is room for growth in terms of the physical hardware for the host, which is the server hosting Hyper-V. It is very robust. It doesn't consume as many resources as VMware, for instance. It is fairly slick. It is very functional and doesn't really present great challenges. I would definitely rate Hyper-V a ten out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Hyper-V. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ahmed Gamil
PreSales Manager at UC-Solutions
Stable with minimal downtime, and it has a good licensing model

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution provider and Hyper-V is one of the products that I implement for my customers.

• "There are two very good things about this product including licensing and stability."
  • "It would be nice if they provided a free management console that we could use to manage all of the hosts for no additional fee."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
AK
Project Engineer at ASE Group Global
An easy setup with good scalability and stability

What is our primary use case?

I use the Hyper-V for migration for the machines. We move our systems to Hyper-V and then from physical to virtual. I currently run on the physical server. I'm migrating this server from the physical to the Hyper-V virtual machine.

• "The solution has an easy setup."
  • "There needs to be more functionality overall in the Hyper-V manager."

What other advice do I have?

We're just Microsoft customers. We aren't partners and don't have a special relationship with the company and we don't sell Microsoft products. I focus on server virtualization. I work with both VMware and Hyper-V. We're working with the 2019 and 2017 versions on Windows. I'd recommend the solution. It's very good. I'd rate it eight out of ten overall.
Morne' O'Kennedy
Lead specialist at OKCIUS (Pty) Ltd
Improves security and uptime, and the VMM gives you full control over many resources

What is our primary use case?

This solution is mostly being used to deliver flexibility, high availability, and redundancy to accommodate production demand on an as-needed basis. The main driver is consolidation, which is then complemented with the above-mentioned items. Hyper-V is a cost-effective platform that helped many companies I've been involved with to reduce data center administration and licensing costs drastically. Once the platform is in place, it helps to control resources more accurately and on a consumption basis. By using the VMM (Virtual Machine Manager) you have full control of the fabric, workloads… more »

• "Hyper-V improved the infrastructure drastically, not only from a performance perspective but from a control/administration view as well."
  • "There are some storage problems which do occur in high load systems, especially SQL workloads."
TC
Solutions Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Powerful, easy to use, but more integration needed

What is our primary use case?

I have been making solutions around the Hyper-V bundles for my clients. For example, hyper-converged infrastructure, such as in vSAN and Vsphere for company data centers.

• "The solution is very powerful, easy to use, user-friendly, and integrates well with Windows. If you are looking for a hundred percent Microsoft environment it would be a good idea to go with Hyper-V. They work wonderfully together."
  • "In an upcoming release, they can improve by having better cloud integration. We are all moving towards the clouds and the integration is only through the Azure Stack, there should be tools built in to move the VMs natively to the cloud and infrastructure. Additionally, they could provide some form of multi-cloud integration."

What other advice do I have?

Hyper-V is very popular in the market for data centers and most of my clients are using Microsoft in some form or another but it might not be their core ERP. I would recommend this solution to others. I rate Hyper-V a seven out of ten.
RameshDasari
IT Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provided a good cost-saving from the management perspective but disaster recovery capabilities need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT service company. We understand the technology and we provide Microsoft solutions, Linux, and Cisco solutions. We have a 360-degree relationship with Microsoft, Cisco, and two other companies. We are a premium partner with Microsoft. We use Hyper-V for virtualization and the consolidation of infrastructures. It is a cost-saving solution. We currently use 25% physical, and 75% virtual resources via Hyper-V, i.e. a ratio of 2.5 to 7.5. So we are using the virtual aspect to a greater extent.

• "It has provided a good cost-saving from the management perspective."
  • "Disaster recovery capabilities are the primary choice for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

We are very satisfied with Hyper-V. I would rate Hyper-V as 7 out of 10.
DB
IT & Security Team Leader at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable solution but has a lot of room for improvements

• "It is stable."
  • "In general, based on my little experience with Hyper-V, I see a lot of obstacles. I think it falls behind the other competitors."

What other advice do I have?

I do not highly recommend Hyper-V. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Hyper-V a six. In terms of advice to people looking to implement Hyper-V, I would tell them not to rely much on the Hyper-V solution in terms of flexibility and scalability. It is a stable solution, but overall, considering the backup, the replication, and the whole range of features that VMR offers, I think that it's better if they look at VMR or other contenders, in this technology.
See 13 more Hyper-V Reviews