IBM API Connect Overview

IBM API Connect is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Integration Platform as a Service providers. It is most often compared to Apigee: IBM API Connect vs Apigee

What is IBM API Connect?
The IBM API Management family of products gives you software tools to create, manage and share application programming interfaces (APIs) in a secure, scalable environment. Available in both on-premises and cloud solutions, its detailed analytics and operational metrics allow you to monitor API usage to ensure that the developers' needs Ð and applications using the API Ð are being met.
IBM API Connect Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM API Connect Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

IBM API Connect Customers
M2M Technologies Inc.
IBM API Connect Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM API Connect pricing:
  • "API Connect is quite pricey."
  • "I haven't seen anyone go from on-premise to the cloud. In fact, I am seeing people go from the cloud to on-premise because the costs can quickly grow on the cloud."

KT
AIT Solution Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Provides good security and scales to quite a large number of products but needs to stabilize Version 2018 rapidly. Still too many fixpacks and outstanding issues

• "The most valuable feature is the security we get from this solution. I know of a bank that uses it to ensure that everything is secure. The second feature I like is the retail environment, where we actually want to be able to provide as many suppliers and consumers with APIs as possible. If you are well-trained in the writing of RESTful API's, you can actually publish an API in a matter of minutes, test it, and publish it."
  • "The new version is very unstable."

What other advice do I have?

The product itself delivers on what is documented and we don't need any additional features. Currently, there are some features that are not working because of known errors. I would like to see an improvement in the stability, however. Once we've got it stable, we can push the limits. We can see what works and what doesn't work, and then we can comment on what is required for the future. I will, therefore, rate this a seven out of ten.
KH
Manager Shared Integration Platform at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Offers a good SLA, with technical support available to help, but lacks documentation

What is our primary use case?

Right now, our use cases are all internal. It's all API socialization internally. With version 10, we'd like to go externally with an actual API marketplace, however, we haven't gone there yet. I don't publish; I manage infrastructure. My role is to implement the infrastructure, maintain it, and enable the developers to leverage the technology.

• "The solution offers a pretty good SLA."
  • "We've had some issues upgrading to the latest version of the solution."

What other advice do I have?

We are a direct customer and end-user. We aren't a partner of IBM. We're not using the latest version of the solution right now. We have in production the original version - which I believe is Version 5.0. It was the original version. We worked all those years since 2018 and we're having some challenges to go to Version 10 which is the latest version. Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about IBM API Connect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AdemolaOsindero
CEO at Lopworks Limited
Reduces costs with faster integrations

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented this for four or five banks in Nigeria. The bulk of our clients are banks. We need determine if there are transaction capabilities from their back-end applications. If so, then we consume their APIs. For example, we have a logistics company who uses the bank's back-end API to complete their payments. We specialize in application and cloud integration. We have clients deployed on-premise, on the cloud, and with hybrid cloud.

• "Our version supports containerized integration. I can write APIs, which can be moved into a testing environment without needing a forklift. It can check if APIs are compliant before moving them into production."
  • "There are issues with upgrading in the cloud version. The cloud version is extremely buggy. We prefer to use the on-premise version."

What other advice do I have?

The client needs to understand the service to use it. They need to make sure that they have the back-end infrastructure to support API Connect. API Connect is known for its light front-end system. Therefore, it depends on what system it connects to on the back-end. It is important to know how it connects to the back-end. We are not using Cloud Pak, as it is still too new. We are using it in the lab. I would rate the solution as a nine (out of 10).
AR
Lead Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Saves us a lot of time and provides a solid structure for anyone wanting to develop an API

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for this solution, depending on the API Connect centralized team, is for registering any APIs. Once those are there, the main idea is that they have to be reusable and available like a global platform rather than just internal to your applications. API Connect does that, you register your API and it is available. Anybody who wants to use that function or that API can now go through API Connect with the current credentials and get access to your API. I'm a lead architect and we are customers of IBM API Connect.

• "Security is well organized and managed within the solution."
  • "Different versions of the same thing can mean unnecessary duplication."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend trying this product. From a cloud perspective it's there, and from a management of API perspective, all that authentication authorization is quite strong. It's a complete product that you can implement and get a centralized repo of the APIs that you can use enterprise wide. If any other enterprise project comes up, it's worth checking what exists rather than automatically developing from scratch. The solution is very easy to use. It's not really complicated, at least for those who are already familiar with some IBM products. We didn't have a problem getting it up…
Oladipupo-Aina
Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The developer portal is a useful feature

What is our primary use case?

We currently use it as our single point of the security catalog for the APIs that the bank has.

• "The developer portal has been the most useful feature."
  • "Like any typical IBM infrastructure setup, you need to learn to set it up yourself. It's not one of those simple zip files or an archive unzip and you're up and running in some few minutes. Knowledge to set it up is key."

What other advice do I have?

Infrastructure setup was a bit painful. Knowledge up-take was not too painful if you are not doing anything complex. But when you start getting into complex APIs then maybe you need some bit of patience if you decide to use this solution. At the end of the day, it's a great product, I can't fault it for now. We haven't extensively used it, so I really can't say how it would perform over time, or what kind of issues it would have if it was enterprise-wide. I can't find fault with it, for now, it's doing good. I would rate the solution of seven and a half out of ten. My point of view is a bit…
Augustine Ayo
Middleware Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Its dashboard allows us to see where transactions are coming from

What is our primary use case?

We are a financial services provider. We have services that we expose for things like investments, policy management, and so on. We have put this on an API Gateway to be able to aggregate all the things that we do for different types of clients with whom we engage.

• "It is quite stable. We've not had any problem. It has made for a good buy because we are finding that other companies that have similar set ups go down maybe once a month."
  • "I would like to see support for non-Java based services. We struggle a bit to be able to deploy and connect our .NET services because of things like data types. We had to map a couple of things. For one solution provider, we had to move them to .NET Core before we could use it properly. I would like to see more agnostic tool service platforms rather than moving it more towards Java or open source."

What other advice do I have?

To cut down on your implementation time, read the documentation. It's long but explanatory. I would rate this solution as an eight (out of 10).
Ashutosh Aggarwal
Vice President at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Helps with API monetization but needs improvement in design time setup

What is our primary use case?

It is the go-to solution for API repository products. We use it for runtime by designing certain products, and those products are subscribed to by various consuming systems.

• "We really like the runtime capabilities of IBM API Connect. The creation of products and the control of the monetization and hit rate are some of the features which we've found very valuable."
  • "The design time setup has a lot of customizable fields, but we need certain standard fields to be added, such as what all of the consuming systems are. This needs to be very clearly articulated during the design time."

What other advice do I have?

I would urge others to use both design time and runtime and not just use it as a repository. I would suggest that they utilize the runtime features, which are pretty strong. First, they can secure your API ecosystem. Second, they have very good monetizing capabilities, which allow you to design products and see who accesses those products. Usage-based and storage-based restriction capabilities are present, which are probably some of the best on the market today. So, I would really urge people to just go beyond the design time and also utilize API Connect in runtime as well. On a scale from one…
OG
Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Robust with an easy initial setup and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a bank. It's used for the operations portion of the bank. It's primarily used for the review of the personnel in your accounts et cetera. It's for many operations for the bank.

• "The interface is very nice. It makes the solution easy to use and navigate."
  • "The documentation needs to be a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations due to the fact that it is very, very easy to use. The product is good, however, that said, they need to pay more attention to their documentation and support. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We have largely been satisfied with the solution and its capabilities. We are IBM partners.
See 13 more IBM API Connect Reviews