HG
Associate Director, Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable with good functionalities and works well overall

• "The functionalities on offer are very good."
  • "The solution would be better if it had cloud functionalities."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as the API gateway. It's for the application that performs the function as the API for the consumer.

What is most valuable?

The customer seems to really like how this particular solution works.

The solution is very stable.

The functionalities on offer are very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be better if it had cloud functionalities.

It would be very helpful if it supported Azure and/or AWS marketplaces. Right now, if I want to set up something in Azure, I need to set up a VM from scratch instead of just being able to have it be supported and integrated.

I've only really been assisting my customer, who uses this solution. However, it's my understanding that they have been using the product for a long time.

The stability has been very good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs. From a performance perspective, it's reliable.

The customer has many, many users on the solution currently. I can't speak to exact numbers. I know there are a lot.

I've never dealt with IBM's technical support. I'm unsure if the client even has a contract that allows them access to IBM's support. If they do, I would definitely reach out to discuss the product and its capabilities more. I'm not sure if a technical support license is extra or just comes with the license itself or if it expires over time, et cetera. I haven't looked into it at all.

I've never handled an installation before. I wouldn't be able to speak from personal experience. I can't get into details about implementation or deployment or how long the process takes.

I proposed to the client that they use the cloud-native API gateway in Azure or in AWS, however, they wanted to go for the API Connect.

What other advice do I have?

I'm considering migrating API Connect to Azure.

I'm still doing the assessment for this product. That is due to the fact that the move to the cloud is just not only for this product. We have a lot of products in terms of the customer's applications. I need to assess everything together and then propose to my end customer.

I'm a vendor. I do assessments for my customer.

I wouldn't recommend this solution to other organizations at this time. It's on-premises and everyone is moving to the cloud. It makes more sense to seek out a cloud solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

DR
Team Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provide APIs, manage their exposure, and affect monetization all in one product

• "It is a complete all-in-one solution."
  • "It needs to be less taxing on compute resources."
  • "It is expensive within this class of products."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product was doing a  project for the banking industry. We had to use it to help comply with PSD2 (Payment Services Directive) regulations.

What is most valuable?

It is a complete API solution for everything having to do with application development. It is an automated and all-in-one solution. It helps provide the API, expose the API, manage their exposure, and affect monetization. I have the operator portal, management portal, and analytics. This is the product I wanted, because I can do everything that I needed to with this one solution.

What needs improvement?

One place that I think the product could improve is that it could be lighter on computing resources and cheaper. We did not expect to have to add additional services for data processing.

We have been using IBM API Connect for about one year.

We had one problem with the security and data resources early on when beginning to use the product. The problem was mostly due to the fact that when we started using the product, we did not have any knowledge of its requirements or experience using it.

We are mostly satisfied with the Technical support that we received. We did not have to interact with them a lot.

I do not deal directly with the area of budgeting. We are partners with IBM, so maybe we get different pricing. I do not know about standard prices other than that this product can be expensive. We did not need to pay them anything extra for support or add-ons. It may not be the same for clients who are not partners.

Initially, we did not do any exhaustive research on competing products. We are looking at the market more in-depth now. I think that API Connect is too expensive for us. For some companies that have a higher demand for using this type of product, this may be a good solution. We do not have a lot of projects of this type, so we are looking for some other solution that is cheaper for the long-term. It has to be good enough and have the proper security constraints to meet client needs. Our research into other products has not really narrowed the field yet.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IBM API Connect as an eight-out-of-ten comparing what I know to other products.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about IBM API Connect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AA
Senior Technological Architect at Banco de Chile
Provides a variety of visualizations of the APIs but doesn't include an online method to pay through a web system

• "The centralized management: this provides a management module that can deploy and apply security policies to all APIs, including all the gateways that are deployed on-premises and on any cloud because the gateway component can run at a VMware or in a Kubernetes cluster."
  • "The integration of an API gateway that implements the sidecar pattern, which can be deployed in cloud applications, and expose the microservices directly in each pod, this can be more decentralized components."

What is our primary use case?

The API manager of the enterprise exposes common functionalities to the front-end applications, beginning with the frontend of the executives who access clients' information.  The exposition of the functionalities of transferring funds and AFP which need to transfer the money from your account to a client's AFP.  The exposition of the core functionalities to the module of the sale of a product installed on the cloud of AWS, to create an onboarding platform for the client's prospect of the enterprise.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has a little use at the enterprise because the APIs have functionality with low use. The next steps are to enforce and grow the use of APIs through the creation of a governance department that aligns the construction's standards and defines the classifications of APIs.

This is the main goal, to finally integrate the applications that will deploy on the cloud consuming the backends on-premise through IBM API Connect. Having the centralized management of APIs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

1. The centralized management: this provides a management module that can deploy and apply security policies to all APIs, including all the gateways that are deployed on-premises and on any cloud because the gateway component can run at a VMware or in a Kubernetes cluster.

2. The analytics module: this provides a variety of visualizations of the APIs, products, subscriptions, and applications that can be defined for a second, a day, a week, a month. This module is deployed beside the gateway and collect all the traffic.

What needs improvement?

The product can be improved in the following  areas:

1.  The monetization because it doesn't include an online method to pay through a web system or with a credit card, where the analytics can be calculated.

2.  The integration of an API gateway that implements the sidecar pattern, which can be deployed in cloud applications, and expose the microservices directly in each pod, this  can be more decentralized components.

All of these areas can be improved.

We have been using IBM API Connect for six months.

It's very stable.

The solution offers horizontal scalability. The power of the product is the high performance in security tasks done with dedicated hardware.

We implemented it with the official vendor of the product.

Another team selected the product.

Other
Uthman Rasheed
API Engineer/IBM Datapower Specialist at Tenece Professional services
Integrates well with other vendors, highly secure, and flexible installation

• "I have found IBM API Connect to be highly secure, efficient, easy to deploy, and has a great GUI. It can operate and integrate well with other vendors, such as Amazon, Google, and Microsoft."
  • "The installation was difficult with the IBM toolkit."

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM API Connect to integrate bank applications. We are linking frontend services with the backend to prevent unwanted penetration.

What is most valuable?

I have found IBM API Connect to be highly secure, efficient, easy to deploy, and has a great GUI. It can operate and integrate well with other vendors, such as Amazon, Google, and Microsoft.

I have been using IBM API Connect for approximately two years.

The solution has a modern cloud and it has been stable and reliable. We have not had any breaches of security.

The solution is highly scalable, you can scale up and down. It has good performance, and you are able to customize the APIs to what you want.

The support we have received from IBM has been great, they have been very responsive.

I have previously used Oracle API gateway. When comparing the two, they are both very reliable and have good APIs but IBM on-premise installation is more flexible.

The installation was difficult with the IBM toolkit.

We have an architectural roadmap to follow while doing the implementation of the solution and it took approximately three months for our teams to complete. I had some support from IBM during the process.

The price of the solution is very expensive, it can turn many customers away.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is very good and might not be suited for everyone's use case. Organizations might not need such a robust solution that is priced as high as it is. The demographics can play a role in if this solution is suitable, it depends on what others are using to make it competitive. For example, in Africa, the use of this solution is very low, they are not thinking too much about security. However, if your organization wants to take its operations to the next level then this solution might be the right choice.

I rate IBM API Connect an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
DB
CTO & Application Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-rich and stable, but it's expensive, and the automation and simplicity could be improved

• "It has all of the tools that are needed for the specific mission."
  • "The automation and the simplicity could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for external API spotters and API.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us mainly with the corporation, ownerships with other partners.

It makes it possible to create close companies with processes to develop mutually, and digital solutions.

This is our main benefit.

What is most valuable?

The suite itself is what I find valuable. It has all of the tools that are needed for the specific mission. I have the portal, I have the run time and the security.

The solution itself is valuable.

What needs improvement?

The automation and the simplicity could be improved.

They could also have more frequent additions.

I would like to see the simplicity improved to make it very easy to deploy and to make it very easy for the regular developer, not an API special developer.

I would like the developers to be able to develop APIs and to make them more accessible.

I would also like to have a DevOps built-in process that is very fast and easy.

The monitoring suite should be ready-made and not have to tailor-make my home.

I have been working with IBM API Connect for three years.

It's a very stable solution.

Our work is very basic. We have not dealt with scaling.

It's IBM, and they take time. I am from Isreal and the support is always from abroad. It's a heaving process.

At times when we have issues and have decided not to turn to support since we know it will take time, and the effort is not as understandable, but we will have a solution at the end of it.

Technical support is an area that needs improvement.

The installation is pretty complex.

We must also take into consideration that I am referring to the on-premises installation, which by definition is much harder, and relatively speaking it is a bit complex.

It is quite an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM API Connect a seven out of ten.

NR
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Proficient tool allows our customers to expose their tech to external stakeholders

• "It allows enterprises to expose some of their tech to outside stakeholders."
  • "I would like to see automation of the installation. If there could be a single-click function where you could automate everything, that would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We have done many implementations using API Connect. We work with some of the largest financial institutions in India, including life insurance companies and some of the banks.

We have done most of them on-premise. The customers, because they are financial institutions and insurance companies, prefer to have this on their own premises and their own data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows enterprises to expose some of their tech to outside stakeholders.

We have been implementing solutions with IBM API Connect for five to six years.

I would like to see automation of the installation. If there could be a single-click function where you could automate everything, that would be helpful. There should also be tools to automate the migratation from the older versions to the newer version. That would be another point that would bring my rating of it closer to 10 out of 10.

IBM sets the pricing, but it would be a good idea to bring down the pricing by at least 20 to 30 percent.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly recommend IBM API Connect for clients who are going with an enterprise version of implementation and when they have enough budget. Of course, if they have budget limitations, they can consider open-source solutions.

As implementers, we have a big resource pool here in India. All our associates have expertise with API Connect as well as IBM App Connect.

As of now, it is serving the needs of our customers. It is quite a proficient tool. It satisfies all of our requirements.

Clement Hsieh
Doctoral Researcher at NCCU
Stable and straightforward to set up, provides a good platform for API development

• "API Connect is a very good platform for the development of APIs."
  • "They seem to have left out a feature for microservices and also a certification module for OIDC."

What is our primary use case?

We help systems integrators and vendors in choosing different types of platforms for building an open API gateway for banks. We evaluate and test different types of API gateways. We follow our internal testing scenarios to make sure that the product meets requirements. This is all we do.

What is most valuable?

API Connect is a very good platform for the development of APIs.

What needs improvement?

They seem to have left out a feature for microservices and also a certification module for OIDC. So it would be a good idea for the authentication module to have OIDC certification.

I have been working with IBM API Connect for about half a year.

As far as I know, there haven't been any issues with the stability of the solution.

There are also no issues with the scalability.

We don't have any connection with IBM.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

I am also familiar with Xware and WSO2 API Manager. They have a different type of development cycle and features compared to API Connect. It's on the development side that they're different. It depends on the type of application.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend API Connect to a vendor or financial institutions that are looking at using it. It's a nine out of 10. It's missing the authentication module so programming and customizing that takes a lot of time.

ZA
Core Banking Business Analyst Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, with good security, it is easy to install, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to handle our open API Connection. Our company mainly has cooperation with institutions, and we are hoping that with this product, in the future we can create easy connections to other institutions who also implement open API.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and security.

What needs improvement?

The developmental process is not quite user-friendly. IBM should improve the customization of the API Connect. The price could be reduced, it's expensive.

I have been using IBM API Connect since August. It is not in production, we are still in the developmental stages. We have just finished the procurement process.

What do I think about the stability

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to handle our open API Connection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and security.

What needs improvement?

The developmental process is not quite user-friendly.

IBM should improve the customization of the API Connect.

The price could be reduced, it's expensive.

We have just finished the procurement process.

IBM API Connect is a stable solution.

It's a scalable solution.

The number of users is not relevant. It is based on the number of transactions, not users.

We plan to continue using this product in the future.

IBM technical support is good.

Previously, we didn't use another solution. This is the first API management product that we have used.

The initial setup is straightforward, and the installation is easy.

We have a team of ten technicians to deploy and maintain this solution.

It's an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM API Connect an eight out of ten.

Download our free IBM API Connect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.