IBM API Connect Overview

IBM API Connect is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Integration Platform as a Service providers. It is most often compared to Apigee: IBM API Connect vs Apigee

What is IBM API Connect?
The IBM API Management family of products gives you software tools to create, manage and share application programming interfaces (APIs) in a secure, scalable environment. Available in both on-premises and cloud solutions, its detailed analytics and operational metrics allow you to monitor API usage to ensure that the developers' needs Ð and applications using the API Ð are being met.
IBM API Connect Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM API Connect Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

IBM API Connect Customers
M2M Technologies Inc.
IBM API Connect Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AA
Manager at ANDD Techservices
User
API Management is the most valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

Building APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

Still working on it.

What is most valuable?

I have found the API Management to be most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Business applications could be exposed to users.

EL
Amnesty International at Gfi Informatique
MSP
The ability for all of our web applications to share standard functions and documents easily is valuable

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used for workflow applications. Specifically, it is used for web applications with complex workflows that have many users.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps. We have Domino servers for all our web applications.

What is most valuable?

The ability for all of our web applications to share standard functions and documents easily is valuable.

What needs improvement?

Automation for our Domino applications could be improved.

More than five years.
Learn what your peers think about IBM API Connect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Well integrated with other products and quick to put into production

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this product for banking, insurance, and government use cases. Perfromance-wise it is very good. It has been improved a lot from the beginning, from API Connect 4, 5, and now we have the latest version of it. The product is available in various forms which gives us the flexibility to propose solutions to our customers.

• "This product is well integrated with other products. Its ability to interact with IBM Secure Gateway and other integration products is the core feature. Also, the lead time to put it into production is relatively short ."

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10. It has all the core features that allow any small company to start with the API calls. There are Essential, Professional, and Enterprise versions. The product is in many forms, like docker, for example. I recommend this product. Take a look at it.
    SG
    Chief Architect and Distinguished Member at Wipro Technologies
    Easy to configure security and generate API keys

What is our primary use case?

API management Securing enterprise APIs Metering Throttling Transformation Analytics Deployment on AWS

How has it helped my organization?

Single entry point for enterprise APIs Basic OAuth Keys management Policy configurations are pretty easy.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use Security GUI is pretty intuitive. Easy to configure security and generate API keys.

What needs improvement?

Components, like caching, should be implemented as policies, not requiring dependency on an external solution. Apigee provides caching as a policy.

Less than one year.
    Principal Information System Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    User

• "Since it runs on top of Datapower, all Datapower based custom policies can be utilized and exported to API connect but its not straightforward/simple process."
    • "IBM info-center help documentation also needs improvement. Competitive product like Apigee provide out of the box policies to run Javascript, JAVA and better/flexible logging policies."

What other advice do I have?

Troubleshooting any issue can be very difficult.
    SAP SD Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    ​In-built policies and security functions are most valuable.

What is most valuable?

In-built policies and security functions.

What needs improvement?

Integration with DataPower as its API Gateway. Due to bugs in integration, we have to look for workaround on fixing and using DataPower as gateway.

Have been working on this for three months.

We switched to APIC for easier management of APIs and to leverage its inbuilt policies, security features, and usage of DataPower as gateway.

What other advice do I have?

Setup an "always and anywhere available sandbox" for experimenting and proof of concepts, because one will need to think and experiment much to use the tool.
    Architect Advisor at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
    It gives a holistic environment for us to set up APIs. We have asked for improved scalability and other features related to API setup and security.

• "It gives a holistic environment for us to set up the APIs and that's the main value that it adds. It gives end to end for us."
    • "We have asked IBM for scalability and for some other features that we wanted. We had a dialogue with them and in the end, they have agreed to provide us with features related to API setup and security."

What other advice do I have?

Go for it! Getting a perfect rating depends on the product and how they give us support or not. We haven't gutted it, thoroughly. It is in production, but it's not perfected. Maybe in six months or more, we'll know more about it.
    PK
    IT Integration Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides integration with multiple services, security, and monitoring. I would like to see more caching and monitoring features.

What other advice do I have?

Our company is an early adopter of this product so I would advise, at this point, to wait and then implement the solution.
    Senior Solution Engineer at Tjx companies
    Makes APIs available across different verticals in the company.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. We are using the IBM WSRR solution for service-oriented active services. The API Connect is for lightweight services and obviously for customization purposes. We work with IBM a lot, so they recommended to us to go with the IBM API Connect solution because it is the future. That is why we have chosen the API Connect. The main criteria while selecting a vendor is support, i.e., after we go live and not just from the product. A stable support customer trust factor is also a very important factor and that is why we have a lot of IBM products.
    Senior Integration Consultant at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It gives us the ability to distribute work among our API developers. Possible improvement is mainly around having more of the cloud oriented architecture.

• "The most valuable feature for me is the ability to distribute work among our API developers, so we don't have to do all the work as IBM API Connect administrators and IBM DataPower administrators."
    • "Possible improvement is mainly around having more of the cloud oriented architecture bringing stability in adding new capabilities around security."

What other advice do I have?

You should consider how much value you can derive specifically from the solution with all the features that are available. For instance, the main value for us was in organizing the API's and splitting work among several development teams.
    Solutions Developer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Provides DevOps integration and a catalog for microservices.

• "We are able to share those APIs instantly within the organization; even if we want to share it outside publicly, then we can have those capabilities."
    • "We would have more capability to interact with the catalog and inventories, so a more DevOps-friendly solution is needed."

What other advice do I have?

Advice depends; if you have a preferred technology and IBM has a solution for that technology, then I'd definitely advise you to use more microservices with the API Connect and the DevOps, to provide quick returns for your business. It will be more valuable to you.
    Chief IT Engineer at Kaiser
    We're using it to replace the old version. What we look for most is security.

What other advice do I have?

I think IBM is very innovative and maybe that will give them an edge into their industry.
    Technology Manager at PNC
    It combines IBM DataPower being a security gateway with some of the features that are in IIB and IBM App Connect. I think that a subscriber should being able to subscribe to a plan.

What other advice do I have?

I think if you're working with IBM and you're looking at possibly using Bluemix now or in the future, the other thing is, if you're using IIB or you're looking at Salesforce, there are a lot of synergies related to these platforms and this tool set, so it sort of makes sense to head down this road. Personally, if you're a small startup, you might need to evaluate the entire landscape a little bit differently, but if you're a large enterprise and you already have a pretty big relationship with IBM, I think that it makes a lot of sense. My rating reflects the fact that it's not operationalized…
    VP of IT Strategy at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Offers us more flexibility with our application and potentially would allow third parties to come in and develop for us.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, trust is important, as well as that they deliver. Just someone you can be comfortable with. I rated it an 8/10 because it's not fully mature yet.
    Solution Architect at Aetna
    Provides a user interface for designing and securing your APIs.

What other advice do I have?

It's good. They have really good use cases. So, it's worth investing time in these products, and if it suits your needs, then you can really go for it. It does support a wide variety of use cases.
    Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We were trying to implement microservices and other features and functionality. We haven't achieved success with it yet.

What other advice do I have?

Certainly look at other options that are out there and absolutely go with the latest and greatest version of the product, because there have been a lot of issues and it's going through growing pains. It's not completely mature.
    Manager of Middleware Application Development at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I like how it runs within DataPower, and adds the extra OAuth security.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to understand its purpose and what it's used for and not used for.
    Integration Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It offers GUI-based accelerated API development that addresses advanced use cases in a collaborative environment.

What other advice do I have?

API Connect is an easy-to-learn, very advanced, reliable, business-to-business API management product. However, understand your requirements clearly and use expert help for the most optimized yet secure solution. The API Connect product comes with API management, developer portal, offline API development toolkit and a node js component called Micro Gateway. Licensing can differ for these components. From an API development features perspective, API Connect and API Management might appear significantly different. However, inherently both products exhibit a very easy, refined and mature API…
    Architect at Ness Technologies
    Internal re-usability of APIs are encouraged by cataloguing all the APIs, but the automation of deployments is needed.

What other advice do I have?

If the customer is already using IBM Datapower then it is a no brainer that IBM API Management will complement their existing investment.
    Head of Development/Integration with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We know that our implementer had some problems while implementing the platform but IBM responded very quickly and professionally.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution with a simple user interface. It has many different possibilities as a business solution.
    SOA and Security Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Exchange integration would be a good improvement however it has made it very simple to expose new services securely.

What other advice do I have?

It's pretty simple, there's no need for any special advice actually.